Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I've never seen that MeLE remote before, but now that the USB Boxee remote isn't for sale anymore that looks like the next best thing. Though I do prefer the simplicity of the Boxee's remote versus the mystery buttons on the MeLE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned
I had this and was pretty satisfied with it:

http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/products/96-motorola-nyxboard-remote-designed-for-xbmc.aspx

But it was too expensive and they don't make them any more. So yeah. Don't get one.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Ugh, I had two of those and luckily could send them both back for a full refund. They were garbage when they first came out. Big and thick with too many buttons, the gyroscope was noisy, and the range was pitiful. After shipping, the exchange rate, and taxes/duty was taken into account I bought THREE Boxee remotes for the cost of one of those things.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

wolfbiker posted:

Ugh, I had two of those and luckily could send them both back for a full refund. They were garbage when they first came out. Big and thick with too many buttons, the gyroscope was noisy, and the range was pitiful. After shipping, the exchange rate, and taxes/duty was taken into account I bought THREE Boxee remotes for the cost of one of those things.

Yeah, one of mine stopped working and they sent me a free replacement. Good guys, but man their hardware leaves a lot to be desired.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
Does anyone know of a plugin for XBMC that encodes a video in your library into another format, say for mobile?

I travel for work occasionally, and would love a function where I could browse my library from the XBMC interface, and through either the context menu or a plugin menu select a video and shoot a format-appropriate version of it over to my iPad.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

bam thwok posted:

Does anyone know of a plugin for XBMC that encodes a video in your library into another format, say for mobile?

I travel for work occasionally, and would love a function where I could browse my library from the XBMC interface, and through either the context menu or a plugin menu select a video and shoot a format-appropriate version of it over to my iPad.

From what I've read, Plex server exactly meets your desires here. Serves when it can, transcodes when it must.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

bam thwok posted:

Use xbmc at home. Plex on the go.

Sync the two libraries with trakt.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

Hogburto posted:

From what I've read, Plex server exactly meets your desires here. Serves when it can, transcodes when it must.

Will that work for offline viewing with the iPad, like if I were to get on a plane? Or are we talking about streaming?

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

bam thwok posted:

Will that work for offline viewing with the iPad, like if I were to get on a plane? Or are we talking about streaming?

It has a mode called plex sync that does that for you, where you pre-transcode and save to the iPad. You just select items you want for offline viewing and sync it like you would with say itunes and music. It works remotely too so if you have a fast enough connection you can update your movies /tv from anywhere. I believe that requires PlexPass, which is worth just buying the lifetime. It's 3 bucks a monthly, 25 a year, or 75 lifetime. I rely on this when I travel and it is really fantastic. The also released a cool new feature where you can transcode and save to dropbox, so you already have videos transcoded but not on your ipad so you can swap them out easier.

Esk1 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 15, 2013

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Esk1 posted:

Use xbmc at home. Plex on the go.

Sync the two libraries with trakt.

Or just use plexbmc or the new plex home theater client :smug:

THey just updated PHT yesterday or today, its working pretty well for me. Will be interesting to see if xbmc/mediabrowser can surpass plex.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 15, 2013

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

kri kri posted:

Or just use plexbmc or the new plex home theater client :smug:

THe just updated PHT yesterday or today, its working pretty well for me. Will be interesting to see if xbmc/mediabrowser can surpass plex.

If it ever supports movie collections...... I would try it for dedicated home use

Esk1 fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 15, 2013

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Cross posting this from the Boxee thread:

So I installed XBMC onto my boxee box today. The instructions are pretty easy and straight forward. Install Boxee+Hacks. Copy Custom build xbmc onto thumb drive, insert into box, reboot. XBMC!

It's using Gotham Alpha 10, no crashes, runs a little bit sluggish but boots quicky from my cheap kodak 16gb thumb drive.

Thought I crashed it when I was downloading 3 skins and scanning 4 sources at once. But it just stalled for a second.

http://boxeed.in/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=263&sid=ea8372e342acf472c3f7e74d0ea98b3f

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Using XBMC and Sick Beard, is there a way to download TV shows automatically, but only keep the latest ones for say, a week?

I've got Sick Beard all set up, and it seems to be working well. All the shows it is downloading now are shows have episodes I want to keep on the system. But I'd also like my system to download shows that are shown daily, not weekly, in case I miss an episode (like I have nearly all week because I've been focused on building my new HTPC). But I have absolutely no interest in keeping those episodes.

Can I have either XBMC or Sick Beard or some other plugin thingy delete these episodes 7 days after I download them? (And remove them from the library when they're deleted.)

Wow, that looks really cool. But the buttons on the remote side look to be largely useless.

I've enjoyed my Lenovo N5901, but I broke the USB dongle. So I bought this at my local TigerDirect store: SMK-Link Wireless Ultra-mini Touchpad Keyboard. (Those gray tabs at the top are your mouse buttons.) It's a pretty interesting keyboard for an HTPC, but... there is a major flaw. It simply does not like to function after bringing your system back from sleep. I have to reseat the receiver dongle.

I think I'm gonna have to return it, and I'll just order a new Lenovo N5902.

NiVRaM88 posted:

I've had good luck with XBMC updates coming from Sickbeard. You can test it out pretty easily (sending a test notification from Sickbeard to XBMC). Plus there's also a setting that will update only the new file that Sickbeard added, instead of scanning the entire disk.

This is true, Sickbeard will manually add the new file to the library. There seems to be a problem with this, though; the new file isn't getting added to my list of newest episodes. I'm suspecting that doesn't happen until you do a full library update.

Revol fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 15, 2013

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!
re: remote chat

This one has worked great for me for the last 5 or so years. Just don't install their software and use EventGhost instead.

http://www.snapstream.com/products/firefly/features.asp

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Revol posted:

Can I have either XBMC or Sick Beard or some other plugin thingy delete these episodes 7 days after I download them? (And remove them from the library when they're deleted.)

You probably want to edit your post to remove the :filez: discussion about specific shows and downloading. I've seen a few plugins that can delete things from the drive after you watch them, I'm sure you could modify one of those or just write a quick cron script to delete all files in a specific directory older than a specific date.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Revol posted:

Wow, that looks really cool. But the buttons on the remote side look to be largely useless.
They look useless, but they are not. A friend of mine made a small program called MeleProxy which makes it perfect for XBMC:
https://github.com/ErikLove/MeleProxy/

The air mouse functionality in the Mele is VERY impressive, like a Wii remote based only on accelerometers, but mainly useless for XBMC, so MeleProxy disables it.

There keyboard is disabled when flipped like a remote and vice versa, så you don't risk messing up when operating the remote/keyboard.

I have a Harmony 885, but the Mele is so much better and responsive that I never use the Harmony for XBMC anymore.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Also re: remote chat:

I am using the new Xbox 360 remote (the black one) and an HP MCE remote receiver with IR blasters I got off ebay. I take all my IR input in Eventghost and send the commands to XBMC using the XBMC plugin or to my tv using the IR blaster.

I even have a menu item in XBMC for my ROKU box that starts a batchfile that tells evenghost change the TV to the right input and then Eventghost sends my remote commands to ROKU via HTTP gets until I hit a button to switch back to XBMC.

The only problems I have with the remote is that some of the color buttons send the same IR code as some of the other buttons (as far as eventghost and the MCE receiver are concerned). There is no stop button, but there is a record button that I am not using so it got remapped to stop. That's pretty much it, I actually like this remote, which might be a first for me.

jonathan posted:

Cross posting this from the Boxee thread:

So I installed XBMC onto my boxee box today. The instructions are pretty easy and straight forward. Install Boxee+Hacks. Copy Custom build xbmc onto thumb drive, insert into box, reboot. XBMC!

It's using Gotham Alpha 10, no crashes, runs a little bit sluggish but boots quicky from my cheap kodak 16gb thumb drive.

Thought I crashed it when I was downloading 3 skins and scanning 4 sources at once. But it just stalled for a second.

http://boxeed.in/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=263&sid=ea8372e342acf472c3f7e74d0ea98b3f

That's cool news. I didn't even know that there was an XBMC port in progress for Boxee Box.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
How much space do most of you have on your fileserver? I'm looking at expanding, but I'm not sure what's best.

I was going to get 2x3Tb drives, and setup a mirror raid (whatever the number is) so I have some backup if a drive fails. Is that being too paranoid?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Finagle posted:

How much space do most of you have on your fileserver? I'm looking at expanding, but I'm not sure what's best.

I was going to get 2x3Tb drives, and setup a mirror raid (whatever the number is) so I have some backup if a drive fails. Is that being too paranoid?

Depends on how much media you have and how long it'd take to re-rip it in the case of a drive failure. Currently, I'm running something like 11TB with no redundancy (which is, frankly, scary as hell). Looking at moving to something like 24TB usable in a RAID-6 early next year, to give plenty of room for growth. Most likely, I won't fill that up before the drives are out of warranty, but it'll be nice for doing incremental backups of all my family's PCs on in addition to the media storage. You might want to look at the Consumer NAS megathread in SH/SC if you're looking at doing something like this. Lots of good info there.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm running right at 12tb on my WHS2011 server. Music and photos and mirrored (and backed up off site) but videos are just too big and unwieldy to do that with. The HTPC and laptops in the house are all backed up to the server, which has saved me on more than one occasion (like the time I completely hosed my XBMC install somehow, and was able to restore to the previous day in less than 10 minutes.

When I built my server I left room for another five or six drives, so I can expand that up dramatically if I need to.

CrispKing
Jul 12, 2008

Revol posted:

Using XBMC and Sick Beard, is there a way to download TV shows automatically, but only keep the latest ones for say, a week?

I've done this two ways:

1. The Lazy: install Belvedere

I had this running, it was fine but overkill.

2. The Still Pretty Lazy: create a startuporder.bat file (or add these lines to your current file)

startuporder.bat posted:

forfiles /p "j:\tv.30" /m "*.avi" /s /d -30 /c "cmd /c del @file"
forfiles /p "j:\tv.30" /m "*.mvk" /s /d -30 /c "cmd /c del @file"
forfiles /p "j:\tv.30" /m "*.mp4" /s /d -30 /c "cmd /c del @file"

I have sickbeard download anything I want deleted after 30 days into the tv.30 folder. Since startuporder only runs on boot it's not deleting exactly every 30 days, but close enough. There's probably an easy way to condense it to one line, but if a DOS command is slowing me down that much I have more problems than forfiles.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
Does anyone here run Frodo on ATV2? When frodo first came out the atv2 version was unusable (Kept crashing). I am hoping this has changed.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Tiger.Bomb posted:

Does anyone here run Frodo on ATV2? When frodo first came out the atv2 version was unusable (Kept crashing). I am hoping this has changed.

I do occasionally. There's a memory leak, as I recall, so it'll crash after an amount of time based on the size of your library. At my current size, I think it's about 2-3 days. I believe I have about 1100 movies and 14000 TV episodes indexed. Other than that, it seems to be fine.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

torjus posted:

They look useless, but they are not. A friend of mine made a small program called MeleProxy which makes it perfect for XBMC:
https://github.com/ErikLove/MeleProxy/

That's great and all, but I want my play button to have a play icon on it and so on. I don't want to have to learn how to use a remote, and I want other people to understand how to use it.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

G-Prime posted:

I do occasionally. There's a memory leak, as I recall, so it'll crash after an amount of time based on the size of your library. At my current size, I think it's about 2-3 days. I believe I have about 1100 movies and 14000 TV episodes indexed. Other than that, it seems to be fine.

Hm. For me it would never crash during playback, but would crash within a few minutes when in the menu (and I only have ~200 movies and a few thousand episodes)

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Tiger.Bomb posted:

Hm. For me it would never crash during playback, but would crash within a few minutes when in the menu (and I only have ~200 movies and a few thousand episodes)

I bought an ATV2 exclusively for XBMC usage and was very disappointed with how badly it performed. When I first got the thing it would crash while browsing menus, during playback, as well as randomly when just idling. It's gotten a bit less unstable since, but it's still a slow little piece of garbage in my opinion. One of the worst purchases I ever made.

RAM is very limited in this machine, so switch to a lighter skin if you're using Confluence, and try to avoid use of add-ons that run in the background if you want it to crash less often.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've still got a jailbroken ATV2 that I should probably sell on ebay or something. Are they still going for more than $100?

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

Keito posted:

I bought an ATV2 exclusively for XBMC usage and was very disappointed with how badly it performed. When I first got the thing it would crash while browsing menus, during playback, as well as randomly when just idling. It's gotten a bit less unstable since, but it's still a slow little piece of garbage in my opinion. One of the worst purchases I ever made.

RAM is very limited in this machine, so switch to a lighter skin if you're using Confluence, and try to avoid use of add-ons that run in the background if you want it to crash less often.

How long ago? I have been using xbmc on my atv2 for years (also bought exclusively for xbmc) and it's great.. I just run xbmc 11

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Tiger.Bomb posted:

I should have clarified that. Mine doesn't crash during playback. Just while idling or browsing through the library. Like, I've got the fanart screensaver enabled, and I'll frequently come back to find that it's crashed while the screensaver was running.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Why don't I ever see recommendations for the Logitech Mini Controller? I'm thinking of getting a Lenovo N5902, I enjoyed my N5901, but this looks like it might be better. The only thing that bothers me is that it uses a Li-ion battery.

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!
Has anyone else got their XBMC library running on MySQL on a QNAP NAS?

I previously had the SQL server running locally, but now I'm moving to OpenELEC so i've put it on the qnap. This makes browsing really.. really... sloooooow. It also seems to have trouble keeping my 'iswatched' flags set.

Is this a limitation of the qnap/xbmc?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Spekkio posted:

Has anyone else got their XBMC library running on MySQL on a QNAP NAS?

I previously had the SQL server running locally, but now I'm moving to OpenELEC so i've put it on the qnap. This makes browsing really.. really... sloooooow. It also seems to have trouble keeping my 'iswatched' flags set.

Is this a limitation of the qnap/xbmc?

I have that setup on a 4-bay 12 TB Qnap NAS and I don't really have trouble with either of those issues. The image cache for browsing is on the local HTPC so it isn't transferring image data over the line (I have the NAS and the PC both hardlined into the router) and iswatched seems to stick whether it assigned it or I did manually.

However I'm running a moderately beefy x64 W7 machine that I also use for games so if there's an issue with OpenELEC I wouldn't be able to help there, but qnap and xbmc both are pretty snappy in navigation and launching media for me. Only occasionally when I'm fast scrolling through hundreds of list items does it take a half-second to fill the file list and populate the art.

Edit: We have 3 PC's that all hook into this NAS but they're all W7 machines, don't have a problem with any of them or iswatched being preserved across machines (or even mid-play resume bookmarks).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tiger.Bomb posted:

I've run it since it came out and have had no problems. I use MySQL however, rather than a local library.

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!

Electromax posted:

I have that setup on a 4-bay 12 TB Qnap NAS and I don't really have trouble with either of those issues. The image cache for browsing is on the local HTPC so it isn't transferring image data over the line (I have the NAS and the PC both hardlined into the router) and iswatched seems to stick whether it assigned it or I did manually.

However I'm running a moderately beefy x64 W7 machine that I also use for games so if there's an issue with OpenELEC I wouldn't be able to help there, but qnap and xbmc both are pretty snappy in navigation and launching media for me. Only occasionally when I'm fast scrolling through hundreds of list items does it take a half-second to fill the file list and populate the art.

Edit: We have 3 PC's that all hook into this NAS but they're all W7 machines, don't have a problem with any of them or iswatched being preserved across machines (or even mid-play resume bookmarks).

Yeah I'm still running Win7 while i test SQL on the qnap. I've got a TS-412, both NAS and XBMC machine are direct connected to the router but it's still super slow.

Is the image caching you mentioned a configurable option or is that default?

Feels like my QNAP might be horribly under-powered. It's pretty much unusable once I have SQL/SAB/Sickbeard running. So I turned everything but SQL off, but it's still pretty bad.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Does anyone know a good add on for creating a list of movies that I want to watch in the near future? This was something I got used to on boxes before I switched to xbmc. As I browse through my 1000+ movie library, occasionally I see something that I want to watch later. I'd like to have a " add to watch list" type feature, that I could later access from the main menu of xmbc.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Cornjob posted:

Does anyone know a good add on for creating a list of movies that I want to watch in the near future? This was something I got used to on boxes before I switched to xbmc. As I browse through my 1000+ movie library, occasionally I see something that I want to watch later. I'd like to have a " add to watch list" type feature, that I could later access from the main menu of xmbc.

Could you use the Favorites feature for that? Seems to be the best native option.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

G-Prime posted:

Could you use the Favorites feature for that? Seems to be the best native option.

i didnt think of that. I guess that works. thanks!

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I need to move a bunch of TV shows around from hard drive to hard drive. This is going to gently caress with things in Sickbeard. Is there a way to update the location of the TV shows without editing each show's entry manually? Maybe just deleting the entire DB and rescanning everything?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Cornjob posted:

I think you can do this with the trakt add-on using its watch-list feature. May be worth investigating to see if it does what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

wolfbiker posted:

I need to move a bunch of TV shows around from hard drive to hard drive. This is going to gently caress with things in Sickbeard. Is there a way to update the location of the TV shows without editing each show's entry manually? Maybe just deleting the entire DB and rescanning everything?

I'm not at my machine right now to tell you exactly where, but there is a mass update menu that lets you do things like move everything from E: to F: and similar.