Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

DemeaninDemon posted:

Yeah that's kind of how it works in the real world. See also the Soviet atomic bomb.

Ve look for zings. Zings zat crush capitalist running dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I've decided to give Babylon 5 a shot. Should I start with the first movie, then S1? Also..this is a weird question, but is this more of a "PG" type show like Star Trek, or is it darker like BSG? I guess the best way to describe it would be like...in melee/gun battles in star trek almost all the time people just get knocked out or stunned but in a more adult show it's not hesitant to show people straight up getting killed. It's part of why I never really got into Trek...it just seems too family oriented. Probably a dumb question but I'd like to know. Also at what point can I expect the series to become interesting? I want to say I heard around the end of season 1 is when it picks up.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 15, 2013

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DemeaninDemon posted:

Yeah that's kind of how it works in the real world. See also the Soviet atomic bomb.

Or the Tizard Mission, which was basically the British saying "our time as the dominant military and technological power on Earth is over. Your turn America."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Watch it all. Experience bij.

The Gathering is terrible and god only knows how it got greenlit off that pile of poo poo but it does get referenced later. Season 1 is rough but full of important things. It's not as dark as BSG but it's more serious than Star Trek.

Don't skip anything, it's a very tightly woven story and every episode has something that is important later.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

MikeJF posted:

I'd always wished they'd put various elements of the 1701 onto the other founders. Like say have Andorian ships built with the TOS white hull material and have Tellarite ships with an engineering section, and so on.

That's a cool idea. That had never occurred to me.

quote:

JJ Abrams claims that the sensor scans of the Narada dramatically changed their technological development.

Which is pretty much what I mean. I like the idea that this Starfleet is angry and paranoid. I like the idea that someone like Marcus could rise in the ranks so easily.

It really helps hammer home the message of the movies for me which is the idea of striving to live up to and be guided by our ideals instead of giving up or giving in to our darker urges.

Yeah that's kind of just some moralizing in between the pew pew phaser battles but it's there. And there really are some great character moments in the films. They just kind of happen while the plot is moving.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Ferengi bought warp drive! Also no massacres or Hitler etc etc.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm going to assume that they use shuttles more because their shuttles are way better, on account of how their escape pods and shuttles were nearly obliterated by the Narada.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sash! posted:

I liked that STID finally had someone try to knock someone else out of the warp bubble.

I mean like that's the most obvious possible course of action when engaging an enemy at warp.

I'll forgive you for forgetting because Nemesis, but the Enterprise got knocked out of warp by Shinzon as well.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Ferengi bought warp drive! Also no massacres or Hitler etc etc.

They're horrified by the harmful nature of cigarettes, but weapons of mass destruction? No problem! :v:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Great_Gerbil posted:

Which is pretty much what I mean. I like the idea that this Starfleet is angry and paranoid. I like the idea that someone like Marcus could rise in the ranks so easily.

I don't like it. After Wolf-359 you didn't see Federation officials clamoring for militarization. They grieved, retooled their defenses, and moved on. The post-9/11 theme struck me as unnecessary cynicism.

Yeah, the Narada destroyed Vulcan, and yes, that hits close to home, but there was nothing political or even avoidable about it, and for the Federation to respond by bulking up its military and lashing out at its neighbors is churlish and incongruous with a mature, spacefaring civilization dedicated to exploration. It doesn't make sense.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mr. Jive posted:

I don't like it. After Wolf-359 you didn't see Federation officials clamoring for militarization. They grieved, retooled their defenses, and moved on. The post-9/11 theme struck me as unnecessary cynicism.

Yeah, the Narada destroyed Vulcan, and yes, that hits close to home, but there was nothing political or even avoidable about it, and for the Federation to respond by bulking up its military and lashing out at its neighbors is churlish and incongruous with a mature, spacefaring civilization dedicated to exploration. It doesn't make sense.
I don't think it's incomprehensible, given that I gather JJ Trek takes place in approximately the same era as the original series, where Starfleet seemed a lot more rough and ready. The destruction of the Kelvin didn't seem like it would do it, since as has been amply noted starships randomly get their poo poo punched in all the time, other than providing a window onto advanced technology; the destruction of Vulcan (as well as the death, presumably, of the vast majority of the Vulcans themselves, who seemed to always be a strong moderating influence of the Federation) would have had a much greater impact, both on the Federation's culture and, probably, on their "international" standing - Betazed and such folks going "well you guys couldn't even cover Vulcan, maybe we're going to go slow on this whole 'Federation' thing."

By contrast, the Borg managed to destroy a lot of starships but did not destroy a founding member homeworld, and there'd been an additional three hew-mon generations for cultural development towards Picardism.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

BlazinLow305 posted:

I've decided to give Babylon 5 a shot. Should I start with the first movie, then S1? Also..this is a weird question, but is this more of a "PG" type show like Star Trek, or is it darker like BSG? I guess the best way to describe it would be like...in melee/gun battles in star trek almost all the time people just get knocked out or stunned but in a more adult show it's not hesitant to show people straight up getting killed. It's part of why I never really got into Trek...it just seems too family oriented. Probably a dumb question but I'd like to know. Also at what point can I expect the series to become interesting? I want to say I heard around the end of season 1 is when it picks up.

It's as edgy as early 90s scifi conventions let it be. People die in gun fights but there's no graphic violence and major characters have plot armor. It gets not poo poo at the end of season 1 and the show really gets on its feet during season 2.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Zathras important character. Zathras not have plot armour.

In certain way, we are all Zathras.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

LOST TREK

The Next Generation Mirror Universe 2-parter

DS9 Borg Arc -- Odo becomes first shape-shifting Borg drone!

While the Enterprise is scanning a sphere, Hoshi locates a spacetime disturbance. Voyager's EMH suddenly appears.

Neelix joins Section 31, goes on fatal mission

Enterprise-D installs an experimental transwarp drive, ends up trapped in Delta quadrant when it breaks down. They team up with Voyager, but tensions between the two crews lead to rivalry, lust--and murder!

Halloween episode where Kirk and the crew lead children dressed as them around the ship to collect alien candy.

Picard lives entire alternate life as Road Warrior style warlord.

Worf and Riker eye each other at crappy quarters party, unsure which of the two should comfort ferociously vomiting Troi.

TOS episode where they travel easily to another galaxy, leading to it being burned by orthodox believers in the Galactic Barrier. TNG episode wherein the same happens.

Dry-humping scenes cut from episodes set on Risa.

"lost" season of Star Trek in 70s when it was briefly an educational puppet-based program.

Barclay discovers a "Rasta" Holodeck program which calms him immensely.

Everyone suddenly realizes Neelix is a great cook and they've been dicks all along.

A glimpse at Cetacean Ops and its elite and diverse crew as the Enterprise-E faces down the Whale Probe in this action-packed film.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I would Kickstart all of those

Especially the last one.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

LOST TREK

Jerry discovers that that Kramer has actually been a Talaxian disguised a human. George falls in love with a Ferengi woman, but finds that he doesn't have the lobes to make him profitable enough to win her. Elaine discovers that Sue Ellen is tired of wearing her bra and is marrying a Betazoid man.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 15, 2013

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Those humpbacks in Cetacean Ops must be massively inbred. I'd hate to be working the night shift when one of those idiots realized they were in charge of the ship's internal gravity generators.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZXIDBpACnM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kfTd4KO2CY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIQxoVY3SzU

Goddamnit Berman

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

BlazinLow305 posted:

Watch order from the OP of the B5 topic:

Seasons 1-4
Thirdspace
In the Beginning
Season 5
River of Souls
A Call to Arms
The Gathering (Pilot)
The Lost Tales (2 30 minute episodes with a few B5 castmembers)

The pilot is poo poo and not necessary watching, characters will make references to things which happened in it but you don't need to actually suffer through it. The first movie (In the Beginning) is a prequel, but it answers a lot of mysteries about historical events in B5 you're not supposed to have the answers to at the start of the show.

Grand Fromage posted:

Don't skip anything, it's a very tightly woven story and every episode has something that is important later.

This, what really separates B5 from its contemporaries is how much foreshadowing and continuity there is. Things and events which would never be mentioned again in Trek usually end up being important down the line.

Luigi Thirty posted:

major characters have plot armor.
I don't know if I'd agree with this. I mean you're not going to main characters dying randomly like in the Walking Dead, but thats a good thing. All of the characters were written to be expendable, and some pretty bad poo poo can and does happen to important characters for 90's TV.

OtherworldlyInvader fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 15, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

No, you gotta watch The Gathering first, just for Delenn's original make-up.

QVC Drinking Game
Jun 23, 2005
In this post-Aatrek era is it safe for me to ask for a short list of the best season 1-2 Enterprise episodes? I watched Enterprise as it aired but stopped in season 2 because I did not enjoy it. I feel like I should go back and watch seasons 3 and 4 now but I'd really rather not bij my rear end through the entire first two seasons again.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mr. Jive posted:

One is a crushing military defeat. The other is genocide.

Maybe the responses are going to be different!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Sash! posted:

What's more, the crushing military defeat was at the hands of previously-unknown and very powerful aliens, while the latter was against a Romulan who broke out of Klingon Jail and destroyed an entire fleet, and Vulcan, with a mining ship. If the Borg had destroyed Tellar Prime it would have at least been proportional. (it is a 9/11 analogy)

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn2-wALgmMk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3c9wtbQTZ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgHxFNFWlZc

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 15, 2013

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

BlazinLow305 posted:

I've decided to give Babylon 5 a shot. Should I start with the first movie, then S1?

I'm more supportive of Season 1 (and Sinclair/O'Hare) than most. But I'd say it's safe to skip the following episodes:

The Gathering (Pilot)
Infection
The War Prayer
Deathwalker
TKO
Grail

Edit: And don't watch the movie "In The Beginning" until later, probably after season 4.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 15, 2013

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I skipped Infection and TKO on my re-watch and didn't feel like I missed anything. Infection is probably the quintessential "lovely season 1" ep of B5. The War Prayer and Deathwalker aren't the greatest episodes, but they do some world-building and character development which I think is pretty valuable (though not essential) to the series as a whole.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Sash! posted:

And starfleet did begin to militarize after 359. Hell, there first response was to start designing warships.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Number_6 posted:

I'm more supportive of Season 1 (and Sinclair/O'Hare) than most. But I'd say it's safe to skip the following episodes:

The Gathering (Pilot)
Infection
The War Prayer
Deathwalker
TKO
Grail

Edit: And don't watch the movie "In The Beginning" until later, probably after season 4.

Hell, I like "Deathwalker", especially the ending. "The Gathering" has serious problems and, as the pilot, has characters and concepts and props that will never be seen again. On the other hand there is some useful information to be had and is a great way to experience B5 bij. You can watch it so long as you realize the show gets much MUCH better over time.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

No, you gotta watch The Gathering first, just for Delenn's original make-up.

Delenn was supposed to be androgynously male and played by a female actor. They decided not to do that because the "voice modulation" sounded like garbage. :pwn:

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Just now I was transferring PDF files to my tablet from my desktop via wireless, while I was watching the beginning of "Inquisition" where Bashir transfers his files to PADDs before his journey.

HOLY poo poo WE LIVE IN THE loving FUTURE.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Gau posted:

Just now I was transferring PDF files to my tablet from my desktop via wireless, while I was watching the beginning of "Inquisition" where Bashir transfers his files to PADDs before his journey.

HOLY poo poo WE LIVE IN THE loving FUTURE.

My iPhone has more/better apps than a tricorder :colbert:

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Grand Fromage posted:

Watch it all. Experience bij.

The Gathering is terrible and god only knows how it got greenlit off that pile of poo poo but it does get referenced later. Season 1 is rough but full of important things. It's not as dark as BSG but it's more serious than Star Trek.

It's worth pointing out that the version of "The Gathering" that's on DVD is not the original, it's the version JMS went back and recut fairly drastically in 1998. It has different music, different effects shots quite a number of shortened or alternate scenes. It's definitely an improvement, but the original cut is worth watching for curiosity's sake(it's on itunes).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

1st AD posted:

And we all carry a Hitchhiker's Guide in our pockets.

Who thought we'd reach that point with the Electronic Thumb still a pipe dream.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Why has nobody made an easy to use LCARS interface for Android yet. Every single one's just a couple of icons and you have to spend hours making sure every single link is set up just so.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
I think Starfleet's biggest improvement in ethnographic research pioneering is only ever putting two randomly assigned people in long-range scouting parties. Just imagine how many amazing reports and research opportunities would have been impossible by sending four people with skillsets that fit the mission. Like that DS9 episode Paradise - Starfleet would never have so successfully infiltrated a creepy eco-cult society had they not sent their commanding officer and chief engineer out to survey random planets.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

1st AD posted:

Ah but can it sense gaseous anomalies? For that matter, what about a rugged external case??

I would actually not be shocked if TNG influenced tablet design though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

Ah but can it sense gaseous anomalies? For that matter, what about a rugged external case??

Huh! Blackberry: covered in external buttons
Android/Iphone: very few buttons, relies on touchscreen interface

So I guess a holo-interface is next on the block

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

I wish I could find the scene on youtube where the elevator opens up and it's McCoy in his most grizzled voice going "Whose playing with the drat elevator!?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Hard Clumping posted:

I think Starfleet's biggest improvement in ethnographic research pioneering is only ever putting two randomly assigned people in long-range scouting parties. Just imagine how many amazing reports and research opportunities would have been impossible by sending four people with skillsets that fit the mission. Like that DS9 episode Paradise - Starfleet would never have so successfully infiltrated a creepy eco-cult society had they not sent their commanding officer and chief engineer out to survey random planets.

In a utopic society where you can do anything you want, we now just jam any two random lottery-selected bozos into a shuttle for the Field Excursion Experience while the computers actually do all the work.

• Locked thread