Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
So is it pressing the shutter button that causes the vibration? Because if it's the shutter itself, I don't see how changing when it fires is going to change anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Costello Jello posted:

So is it pressing the shutter button that causes the vibration? Because if it's the shutter itself, I don't see how changing when it fires is going to change anything.

Its the shock from the shutter closing, since it was open when you press the button. This adds a small pause after the shutter closes and before the shutter opens to take the picture.

Its also why it works great for an inervalameter, since it effectively turns off the live view.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Costello Jello posted:

I thought it's that at certain shutter speeds a vibration travels through the body of the camera when the shutter clamps down?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

IanTheM posted:

I thought it's that at certain shutter speeds a vibration travels through the body of the camera when the shutter clamps down?
As despair said, it's a property of the mirrorless body's shutter needing to close before it opens again for the actual exposure.
A mirrorless camera's shutter needs to be open for composing, so each exposure is actually 2 shutter cycles.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

DanTheFryingPan posted:

It's awesome, but quirky, but awesome. Seriously considering ditching the XF18-55 and replacing it with the XF35.

Thinking of selling my Voigtlander 15mm and rocking both the 18-55 and 35 since they're both so fun to shoot with :snoop:

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Helicity posted:

Thinking of selling my Voigtlander 15mm and rocking both the 18-55 and 35 since they're both so fun to shoot with :snoop:

This is what I currently rock, with a couple of manual focus nikkors for shits and giggles too. Seriously considering selling some other possessions to get the 23 as well.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
yea I can see myself be happy for at least a couple years with XE1 - 35mm - 23mm combo.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Mr. Despair posted:

Its the shock from the shutter closing, since it was open when you press the button. This adds a small pause after the shutter closes and before the shutter opens to take the picture.

Ah, I see, thanks.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Ughhhhhhhh my E-M5 came today but I haven't got any of my lenses yet :(

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Digital Jesus posted:

Ughhhhhhhh my E-M5 came today but I haven't got any of my lenses yet :(

Time for some pinhole photography!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

With a rubber band it doubles as a free intervalometer :buddy:

Idgi, can you explain?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Idgi, can you explain?
pause introduced by anti-shock + continuous shooting + rubber on shutter release.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

spankmeister posted:

Idgi, can you explain?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ohhhh I get it. :downs:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Just got my Fuji X-E1 and Im blown away by it and thats just from playing around with the menus and trying out what it does around the house. Going to head outdoors in a mo to have a more considered go with it.

Also a tad off topic, but I picked up a EyeFi SD card and its like living in the future- photos sent straight to my phone, ipad and PC! Little fiddly to set up as the instructions werent overly clear, but its a great little piece of tech.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Serotonin posted:

Just got my Fuji X-E1 and Im blown away by it and thats just from playing around with the menus and trying out what it does around the house. Going to head outdoors in a mo to have a more considered go with it.

Also a tad off topic, but I picked up a EyeFi SD card and its like living in the future- photos sent straight to my phone, ipad and PC! Little fiddly to set up as the instructions werent overly clear, but its a great little piece of tech.

Once you get around to finding what jpg settings you really love, you end up just going SOOC almost all the time. Play around with the highlight, shadow settings and the DR/NR settings. You can fine tune the jpg setting to your pref and it really does pay off to experiment with it.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Went and bought the 35mm 1.4 for my xe1 today. Can't wait to go and shoot some pics tonight. It is a beautiful lens but whoever designed that hood cap needs to get fired.

edit: holy poo poo this lens, can't believe how sharp and nice the pictures I take with it are :stare:

keyframe fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 16, 2013

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

All the new X-E1 love is making me strongly reconsider selling mine... I wonder if my wife will let me keep both it and my E-M5.

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

Musket posted:

Once you get around to finding what jpg settings you really love, you end up just going SOOC almost all the time. Play around with the highlight, shadow settings and the DR/NR settings. You can fine tune the jpg setting to your pref and it really does pay off to experiment with it.

Hmm never thought about doing that. Do you just adjust the regular settings from the q menu, or also dive deep in the whitebalance options?

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
A long shot maybe, but has anybody here adapted any fixed-lens rangefinder lens on a mirrorless? I have a Yashica Electro 35 lens I brutally extracted out of it since the electricals were all history, so now i'm thinking in how to mount it on the nex.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

ChirreD posted:

Hmm never thought about doing that. Do you just adjust the regular settings from the q menu, or also dive deep in the whitebalance options?

I leave the WB on auto. You can dive into the qmenu and change almost everything about the JPG.

HappyCrab
Jul 22, 2008
I'm considering getting an Olympus E-PM2 as my first ICL camera. They have the body and a 14-42mm Lens on amazon for $400. Any other suggestions for around the same budget? Also, should I buy a different 14-42 lens?

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Primo Itch posted:

A long shot maybe, but has anybody here adapted any fixed-lens rangefinder lens on a mirrorless? I have a Yashica Electro 35 lens I brutally extracted out of it since the electricals were all history, so now i'm thinking in how to mount it on the nex.

http://www.japancamerahunter.com/2013/01/miyazaki-lens-conversions-2/

This Japanese dude will do a conversion to m mount, but apparently costs a small fortune.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mightaswell posted:

This Japanese dude will do a conversion to m mount, but apparently costs a small fortune.

And its value, pure dickwave. Might be cheaper to buy Voigtlander M/M39 used. They look fun.

And my wallet has been taken hostage. http://www.hayatacamera.co.jp/services/miyazaki/index.html#015

Gonna inquire about the 21mmF2.8 Biogon lens.

Musket fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 17, 2013

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006

Mightaswell posted:

I'm thinking DIY actually. Got a reserving ring that i'm going to use as bayonet, and will probably use PVC pipe as spacer and epoxy glue to get everything together...

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Primo Itch posted:

I'm thinking DIY actually. Got a reserving ring that i'm going to use as bayonet, and will probably use PVC pipe as spacer and epoxy glue to get everything together...

--someone who is about to learn the hard way the kind of precision you need with flange back distances

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Has anyone got the new Fuji 23mm f1.4 lens? I got to try it for a couple minutes at the store and it seemed to AF faster than the other fuji lenses. The build quality was excellent as well, felt really solid and perfectly balanced.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

keyframe posted:

Has anyone got the new Fuji 23mm f1.4 lens? I got to try it for a couple minutes at the store and it seemed to AF faster than the other fuji lenses. The build quality was excellent as well, felt really solid and perfectly balanced.

I also tried one in-store on my X-Pro. It's a great lens for that system and a pretty sharp lens overall. It's not Summicron-sharp, but it's also 1/3 the price. One review I saw out there put it in the same league as the Sigma 35/1.4. One thing I was surprised at was usability at 1.4... it's very sharp in the centre.

On a semi-related note: I am getting an itch for an A7R and bailing on my X-Pro. The reason is simply that I've got an M-240 and a few M lenses. I love that system. While I can't use the full FOV of my M lenses on the Fuji, I can make use of them on the A7R... The other cool thing is that lenses which were unusable on the Leica are usable on the A7R, like a bunch of the ZM lenses that focus down to 0.5m instead of the Leica 0.7m.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006

SoundMonkey posted:

--someone who is about to learn the hard way the kind of precision you need with flange back distances

I've already made a P6 to C/Y adapter at home with pieces of an old lens and a machined steel cilinder that works fairly well, so I know what kind of mess i'm getting into. It's just a bit different since this lens was originally attached to the camera instead of having a bayonet and i'm having to think about all the "fix helicoid here, let this part move, this one shouldn't" stuff...

Primo Itch fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 18, 2013

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I mentioned earlier in the thread about a busted up Fuji X100 that I acquired. It had a few bumps and scrapes that didn't bother me, but it was stuck at f2 and wouldn't focus properly either.
Well I finally got around to sending it in to Fuji UK Wednesday last week. I told them the problem, and explained that I'd bought it used.
Friday morning they email me with a quote 'to just make it work properly', saying the cosmetic damage would cost a lot more, but they can do that too if I want.
I send them the GB£90 or so incl VAT & Postage to get it working, and get an email Monday morning saying it's fixed and on it's way back to me!

I'm absolutely made up, thumbs up Fuji UK.

e: Tuesday Morning it arrives! Woohoo

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 19, 2013

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

keyframe posted:

I got it on saturday. I went out shooting with it for 1 day.
My impressions are that's it very high quality. Excellent build. Fast focus indeed (I heard the 14mm is the fastest on the x-e2?).
Also it's a bit too heavy and large for my X-E1, even without hood. But very manageable when you hold it properly.
All in all great performer, especially from 2.8 and up. Only wish it was the size of the 14mm

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I have a nex6 package I'm trying to sell and I'm not getting any bites. Does anyone want a nex6, sigma 19mm, canon FD 50mm 1.4 SSC w/ adapter for a steal? Check my posts in the buy/sell/trade thread. Need to move this thing before the holidays.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

ChirreD posted:

I got it on saturday. I went out shooting with it for 1 day.
My impressions are that's it very high quality. Excellent build. Fast focus indeed (I heard the 14mm is the fastest on the x-e2?).
Also it's a bit too heavy and large for my X-E1, even without hood. But very manageable when you hold it properly.
All in all great performer, especially from 2.8 and up. Only wish it was the size of the 14mm

Does the front extend when focusing like with the 35mm?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

keyframe posted:

I just tested mine, it does not. It also has hard stops at MFD and infinity, which I don't believe the 35 does (it's in my car and I'm too lazy to throw on some shoes).

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
I know the XF-23 is the new hotness but did anyone pick up the 27mm pancake? As I understand it the 27 is somehow considerably sharper than the 60mm center to edge and every once in a while I need that.

Also, the XC-16-50 is worth avoiding. A friend of mine wanted a camera for his European vacation and an X-M1 with kit lens was about what he wanted to spend. The X-M1 died on him about a week in (verified dead- I swapped batteries, pulled the card, removed the lens with the camera switched "on") and we used my card reader to pull his photos. At some focal lengths it was great and looked like an X camera but there were a lot with awful, blurry corners.

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

keyframe posted:

No it does not.Have you ever handled the 14mm? It's exactly like that, but fatter.

It also has a tighter aperture ring than the 35 and 14mm. Although you can't feel the difference between full and 1/3 stops.
Like Bob Socko says: The ring does have hard stops, which is great because even though it's focus by wire, it's more mechanical that way. In contrast to the 35mm where your speed determines the focus.

All in all I would say the 23 is excellent quality, yet the 35 is more bang for your buck.

ThisQuietReverie posted:

I know the XF-23 is the new hotness but did anyone pick up the 27mm pancake? As I understand it the 27 is somehow considerably sharper than the 60mm center to edge and every once in a while I need that.

Also, the XC-16-50 is worth avoiding. A friend of mine wanted a camera for his European vacation and an X-M1 with kit lens was about what he wanted to spend. The X-M1 died on him about a week in (verified dead- I swapped batteries, pulled the card, removed the lens with the camera switched "on") and we used my card reader to pull his photos. At some focal lengths it was great and looked like an X camera but there were a lot with awful, blurry corners.

I picked up the 27mm for cheap to see if it could replace the x100. Size wise it's fantastic, makes your camera very small. Just like the x100, it makes it a pocketable camera. But the colors didn't have that "fuji magic feel" to me. I can't explain it. So I sold it.
For B&W and street it's fantastic.

ChirreD fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 19, 2013

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
Was looking into the sigma 30mm 2.8 for a NEX. There is the older "EX" version which from what I have seen some reviewers claim is better than the newer version. Anyone have any experience with either of them?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Claw Massage posted:

Was looking into the sigma 30mm 2.8 for a NEX. There is the older "EX" version which from what I have seen some reviewers claim is better than the newer version. Anyone have any experience with either of them?

I have the new one, albeit for the M4/3 mount. From what I've read, they're optically identical, the only differences are an upgraded exterior (the new version is made of metal) and a new branding (the new version is part of the "art" line of lenses).

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Claw Massage posted:

I'm buying this exact lens right now.

(Also, an FD 135/2.8 and an FD 35-70 macro 35-105/3.5, because I have brain problems.)

Huxley fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
the Sigma 30mm 2.8 is a great lens for the NEX, i've got the pre "art" version also. If you're in the US, try looking around for that deal that gives you the 19mm and the 30mm for the price of one!