Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Insurrectionist posted:

I really am not a fan of Koe no Katachi because it's centered on, and narrated by, the original bully. Not because I think he's a terrible person or irredeemable or anything, but because his story isn't the interesting one, and being shown events from his POV isn't very appealing to me. More to the point, I really don't like the dynamic it gives the comic, again not because it's bad but because it's not the one I want to see - by not being focused on her troubles specifically, but instead the reformed bully, it really feels like a story that's more interested in making excuses for the dude and saying 'hey he wasn't that poo poo forever see, you can improve too' rather than focusing on the actual victim's problems and issues. It's not a bad message, but it could have been delivered just as well if he was the secondary protagonist, and not the girl.

Yeah I felt the same. The first chapters were so goodnsince were focused on Nishiyama and such, something really different and original. Now it kind of feels like your average shounen and Nishiyama's reduced to your generic love interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Two more new chapters of Sket Dance, and they're both real winners (even though competition is a fool's game and ranking brings strife).

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
King Golf, the most shonenest of golf manga has received a shitload of updates. Thrill as a mostly less assholeish Agon from Eyeshield goes from king of the bullies to a scratch golfer in 2 months after repetitive shonen training and teaching sessions from a camp of children.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Fabricated posted:

King Golf, the most shonenest of golf manga has received a shitload of updates. Thrill as a mostly less assholeish Agon from Eyeshield goes from king of the bullies to a scratch golfer in 2 months after repetitive shonen training and teaching sessions from a camp of children.

Dude what. The title of most shounenest of golf manga indisputably belongs to Dan Doh!!, a manga where an Japanese grade schooler goes pro because he wants to earn enough money to bring back his absent mom and ends up golfing against the likes of Jack Nicklaus. Also he can literally see the wind.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

AnonSpore posted:

Dude what. The title of most shounenest of golf manga indisputably belongs to Dan Doh!!, a manga where an Japanese grade schooler goes pro because he wants to earn enough money to bring back his absent mom and ends up golfing against the likes of Jack Nicklaus. Also he can literally see the wind.
My knowledge of golf manga is non encyclopedic believe it or not. Looking at Dan Doh however holy poo poo.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

AnonSpore posted:

Now, to be slightly fair, he didn't exactly golf against Jack Nicklaus, he acted as caddy to someone who played against Jack Nicklaus. Jack Nicklaus can also see the wind.

To be even more fair, in the sequel (Dan Doh!! Xi) he did go to St. Andrews (after getting his golf set stolen in Thailand) and played his way into The Open, eventually colliding against a man so anti-golf he humiliated like a whole set of pro-golfers by playing an entire course using only a putter and a black ball. The man has an evil dog as well. Also this same man basically played ping-pong using a golf ball against Dandoh's teacher while simultaneously killing a bunch of wasps. Dandoh of course won shooting his ball so it can ride the winds of a storm from a museum inside a golf club into the green. Dan Doh is nuts. I think the author's other Golf manga is a bit more grounded, though.

Dan Doh at least has their golf matches on actual grassland. Pro Golfer Saru has them on a fuckin' volcano.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
This thread is getting pretty shounen itself, what with all the stronger people showing up out of nowhere! :v:

But yeah it's been like over a decade since I read Dan Doh!! My greatest memory of it is one scene where a bad guy gets an albatross and everyone reacts like he personally executed Mother Teresa and Gandhi at the same time.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

AnonSpore posted:

This thread is getting pretty shounen itself, what with all the stronger people showing up out of nowhere! :v:

But yeah it's been like over a decade since I read Dan Doh!! My greatest memory of it is one scene where a bad guy gets an albatross and everyone reacts like he personally executed Mother Teresa and Gandhi at the same time.

My anime power is more true and more powerful than yours. :colbert:

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I'm a much greater salmon than any of you :colbert:x2

AnonSpore posted:

He was using a special golf stick that will ruin his arms if he used it too often! So Dandoh used a putter to make a 100% accurate shot through a space between the tree leaves to score an eagle on the final hole! Dan Doh!! was great, Dan Doh!! Xi was a bit less and the fanservice is kind of creepy, Dan Doh!! Next Generation was just a bit too rubbish.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Koe no Katachi Ch 11

Sorry to interrupt your feast of hot bloodness but this chapter was pretty :3:, focus on Nishiyama and gotta say that her sis is quite the little rear end in a top hat. Can't really blame her though.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Clearly what we need is a hot-blooded romance.

Witness, the face of fury and wrath and unbridled umbrage!

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Koe no Katachi Ch 11

Sorry to interrupt your feast of hot bloodness but this chapter was pretty :3:, focus on Nishiyama and gotta say that her sis is quite the little rear end in a top hat. Can't really blame her though.

Sheesh, I didn't realize this got made into anything other than a one-shot. It's rather good.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! 73!

In which Imamura, after loving up his plan to gently caress things up with Shibata on purpose, fucks things up.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

toanoradian posted:

Clearly what we need is a hot-blooded romance.

Witness, the face of fury and wrath and unbridled umbrage!

That's the look of someone who is about to go full psychotic after a long and painful lifetime of playing by the rules.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
More Hot-Blooded Romance (Koe No Kotachi 12) :v:

I'm liking the way plot's going even if I would prefer Shouya not becoming your classic protagonist that got everything work out because his acceptance of things, seems kind of cheap.

Also I'm confused by the family relationships here, the woman living with Shouya is his sister or his mom? Where the hell was that little brazilian-japanese kid before?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Also I'm confused by the family relationships here, the woman living with Shouya is his sister or his mom? Where the hell was that little brazilian-japanese kid before?

His older sister.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mary Annette posted:

Again!! 73!

In which Imamura, after loving up his plan to gently caress things up with Shibata on purpose, fucks things up.

I dunno, I can't really think of anything he could have done differently in this specific chapter, though he's at blame for not being more straight-forward previously.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

SpazmasterX posted:

His older sister.
The sister hasn't been shown yet, though we see her legs a few times in chapter 1.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

More Hot-Blooded Romance (Koe No Kotachi 12) :v:

I'm liking the way plot's going even if I would prefer Shouya not becoming your classic protagonist that got everything work out because his acceptance of things, seems kind of cheap.

Yeah, as much as I like Shouko and how...'saintly' she's been acting, Shouya is forgiven far too easily. Not saying all the bullying Shouya's been through isn't horrible, just that well...there's not much he has done to redeem himself to Shouko. I'm kind of hoping Shouya starts thinking that Shouko's forgiveness isn't enough for him to forgive himself and he attempted to do more.

Also why is there that jocular emoticon on your post Koe no Katachi is nothing if not hot-blooded:

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 19, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Koe No Katachi 13

Pretty awesome chapter if lower on the hot bloodness.

toanoradian posted:

Yeah, as much as I like Shouko and how...'saintly' she's been acting, Shouya is forgiven far too easily. Not saying all the bullying Shouya's been through isn't horrible, just that well...there's not much he has done to redeem himself to Shouko. I'm kind of hoping Shouya starts thinking that Shouko's forgiveness isn't enough for him to forgive himself and he attempted to do more.

Is like the author's reading us, he pretty much tackled our complains and gave a pretty good answer.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It's his mother. And the little girl would be his half-sister, from the Brazilian guy who showed up in like one panel introduced as her boyfriend.

I read through all this earlier today, and I definitely echo the complaints people have already mentioned. But it looks promising, I've got my fingers crossed it turns out to be pretty good.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
One of the things that I hope gets addressed is exactly how Shouko's mother and sister treat her. Her mother especially who's overprotective to the point where she acts like her daughter is incapable of making her own decisions.

I dunno, I don't have any problem with the focus on Shouya and his trying to rebuild his life from the ground up. Especially because, as this chapter has shown, it's not as easy as just going "I was terrible once and now I feel bad, please forgive me" (well for everyone who isn't Shouko anyway).

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Gils posted:

It's his mother. And the little girl would be his half-sister, from the Brazilian guy who showed up in like one panel introduced as her boyfriend.

Pretty sure the little girl is Shouya's niece. http://mangafox.me/manga/koe_no_katachi/v01/c001/17.html and http://mangafox.me/manga/koe_no_katachi/v01/c001/41.html We don't actually see his sister at all apart from her feet and she may not be around in the present.

EDIT: Oh wait we do, we see her feet asking Shouya to pick his niece up. Man just show her already!

Reclines Obesily fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 20, 2013

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is like the author's reading us, he pretty much tackled our complains and gave a pretty good answer.

My problem with Koe no Katachi is that there isn't enough hot-blooded conversation in Japanese Sign Language.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Visidan posted:

Pretty sure the little girl is Shouya's niece. http://mangafox.me/manga/koe_no_katachi/v01/c001/17.html and http://mangafox.me/manga/koe_no_katachi/v01/c001/41.html We don't actually see his sister at all apart from her feet and she may not be around in the present.

EDIT: Oh wait we do, we see her feet asking Shouya to pick his niece up. Man just show her already!

If this doesn't end on a Cow & Chicken kind of reveal for the sister I'm gonna be really dissapointed :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Sorry to double post

Koe no katachi 14

Where Shouya finally realizes Yuzuru's dark deep secret (:v:), we get more of his buddy and the romance really starts. All around a solid chapter and I liked that Shouya don't want the easy way out.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 25, 2013

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Remember Tokyo ESP? http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Tokyo-ESP/Vol-007-Ch-030--Charming-After-School-Bomber

Apparently since part 1 ended Rinka became a fighting game character. And beat up Blanka.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sindai posted:

Remember Tokyo ESP? http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Tokyo-ESP/Vol-007-Ch-030--Charming-After-School-Bomber

Apparently since part 1 ended Rinka became a fighting game character. And beat up Blanka.

She seems to be imprisoned in an underground slave arena, and given that she is wearing two of the tracking bracelets the government is likely responsible. I was curious as to where she was, but I wasn't really expecting this.

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009

Sindai posted:

I was going to say that guy on the left looked a lot like Jack Cayman from Anarchy Reigns too.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Two more chapter of Koe no Katachi

Chapter 15
Chapter 16

For all my previous bitching, I liking a lot the recent plot developments. Shouya's manning up and owning his mistakes and is working hard to compensate Shouko, his buddy is pretty drat awesome (if a little melodramatic) and the returning character seems pretty cool.

The romance is also gaining prominence but it feels really natural plus, Shouko is ADORABLE :3:

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I like the big X's on Kawai's face. It's like a unique way of having a character wear an eyepatch.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
I like it because with everyone else it completely covers their face making their features indistinguishable. He becomes friends with Nagatsuka and it goes away. He has a small positive opinion of Kawai and it's moved a little bit to expose part of her face. It's a pretty neat visual trick.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What's sad about the earlier parts of that Koe no Katachi series is that kids are every bit as bad as that in real life. I was bullied some in elementary school, yet, as much as I hate to admit it, I would jump at the chance to make fun of someone lower on the totem pole than myself. I remember feeling disgust towards this unpopular girl who sat in front of me when she peed her pants this one time (you could smell it), even though in retrospect I'm sure she was absolutely mortified. Ultimately, it's all because kids are more or less incapable of empathy just by virtue of their brains not being close to fully developed. Putting yourself in someone else's shoes never enters the equation unless you're watching/reading something that explicitly describes someone else's situation.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Folks, what do bugs, elementary school children, demonic teachers, and the meaning of grammar and punctuation have in common with each other?

They all come together in this one shot.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrSunshine posted:

Folks, what do bugs, elementary school children, demonic teachers, and the meaning of grammar and punctuation have in common with each other?

That's the most twisty manga chapter I've read in a long time, and I say this as someone who's read Qualia the Purple. Thanks for finding and sharing this one-shot, DrSunshine.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DrSunshine posted:

What the gently caress did I just read? :psyduck:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Honestly I can't remember if was in this thread or the 'convince someone to read a manga with one image' where I was introduced to Bonnouji, but I just have to share that it has just ended

Bonnouji's Final Chapter

The series was adorable from beginning to end and this chapter left me pretty :unsmith:

One of the most realistic depictions of romance that I've seen, and is kind if weird that nowadays I'm on a Touhou's doujin binge and I've found a lot of works from that author.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
We posted about it a lot in the shoujo thread.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

jackofarcades posted:

We posted about it a lot in the shoujo thread.

I've never been at the shoujo thread, otherwise I've would posted there :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Koe no Katachi 17

What does that symbol at the end mean? Is it some kind of emoticon?