Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

th vwls hv scpd posted:

How bad does this kind of thing screw you as a driver? I'm assuming this counts as a traffic accident.

The dollar value of the damage is also a bigger factor than actual fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I think this would be more entertaining with drivers like that USA Trucking dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7FIvfx5J10

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 15, 2013

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
drat it came to post this. So awesome.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
http://youtu.be/YtTOQSRMRcM

Why hasn't this been posted yet?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Aww, they cut out one of the best parts. When Clarkson was talking about gear changes and how much work it is he explains it as "Change gear, change gear, check mirror, murder a prostitute, change gear, change gear, murder. That's a lot of effort in a day." People got offended over it for some reason :iiam:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

That entire episode was fantastic.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Galler posted:

Aww, they cut out one of the best parts. When Clarkson was talking about gear changes and how much work it is he explains it as "Change gear, change gear, check mirror, murder a prostitute, change gear, change gear, murder. That's a lot of effort in a day." People got offended over it for some reason :iiam:

One of the best moments in Top Gear UK history.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

http://youtu.be/YtTOQSRMRcM

Why hasn't this been posted yet?

Watching those guys trying to handle Euro-rigs brought me back to my trainer days. "Gas clutch shift, gas clutch shift. You won't break that pumpkin, push that stick."

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Amandyke posted:

One of the best moments in Top Gear UK history.

The other one? Teenager cars. I can't get enough of that drat Volvo failing to make it up the hill.. several years later. :haw:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
So this happened here in Sydney yesterday, COMPLETELY loving the traffic for the next week at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOaWGxj9YQM

Story goes the driver dropped his glasses and hit the tipper controls when he picked them up.

Why does he roll around town with the PTO engaged and how does it not gently caress his gearbox up in 5 minutes? Or how did he engage it while he would have been steady cruising down the motorway at 70km/h? I don't even know.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I had to see if it was this same guy who failed across the street from where I work.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 15, 2013

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Rudager posted:

So this happened here in Sydney yesterday, COMPLETELY loving the traffic for the next week at least.

Story goes the driver dropped his glasses and hit the tipper controls when he picked them up.

Why does he roll around town with the PTO engaged and how does it not gently caress his gearbox up in 5 minutes? Or how did he engage it while he would have been steady cruising down the motorway at 70km/h? I don't even know.

I'm not sure on how the PTO works on that, but I do know there are units that you can have the PTO in and it still be mobile.

I can't believe he didn't feel the load shift.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

West SAAB Story posted:

The other one? Teenager cars. I can't get enough of that drat Volvo failing to make it up the hill.. several years later. :haw:

I liked the segment on communistical cars better, myself. Top Gear works best when they're messing around with total shitboxes.

See also: Reliant Robin, Clarkson P45, every cheap car challenge etc.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Nov 15, 2013

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Rudager posted:

Oh, very nice!

This happened a few weeks ago, bringing the whole of North London to a standstill for about 8 hours. It took me almost 3 hours get 1.5 miles from my mate's workshop to my house.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2419058/North-Circular-Tipper-truck-wedged-vertical-north-London-road-collision.html

I don't know how they managed it, that footbridge is just after a curve in the road, i would've thought they'd feel the truck wanting to roll over in the bend.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

InterceptorV8 posted:

Or you could get fired and get a better job with a higher wage. We had a driver take out an Ikea and the next week he had a better job.

This is for you dispatchers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgEEkJX2Vh4

Angry old man sound board? One of the drivers on your board? Sounds the same to me!

Holy hell this is fantastic.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
By "take out an Ikea" I'm really hoping he just did a full throttle drat-the-torpedoes ramming of the showroom floor while the Blues Brothers theme blared over his PA and not what probably happened which is backing up aggressively into a loading dock or something.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Here, have hovertrailer.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

By "take out an Ikea" I'm really hoping he just did a full throttle drat-the-torpedoes ramming of the showroom floor while the Blues Brothers theme blared over his PA and not what probably happened which is backing up aggressively into a loading dock or something.

You wish almost came true! Some of the retarded Ikeas are poorly built two story places where the docks are on the second floor. Guy smacked the wall and ripped down a overhead sign post and dropped it in the parking lot or something.

Superuser008
Feb 7, 2011

0rganDonor posted:

Here, have hovertrailer.

Air-ride equipped indeed.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

You wish almost came true! Some of the retarded Ikeas are poorly built two story places where the docks are on the second floor. Guy smacked the wall and ripped down a overhead sign post and dropped it in the parking lot or something.
2 story with the docks on second floor? That's just asking for trouble.

I had to deliver to an Office Max where the loading dock was underneath an abandoned Circuit City on the side of a mall or something. So many birds flying in and out making GBS threads all over the place.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

InterceptorV8 posted:

I'm not sure on how the PTO works on that, but I do know there are units that you can have the PTO in and it still be mobile.

I can't believe he didn't feel the load shift.

Just saw this in the papers, Mr Flammia is the owner of the truck company.

http://smh.drive.com.au/trucking-boss-apologises-for-m5-crash-chaos-20131114-2xjav.html posted:

The Roads Minister, Duncan Gay, questioned the explanation, saying the tipping tray was activated by a two-stage process. One is the engagement of the PTO, the hydraulic mechanism that controls the power of the tray, and the second is the pressing of the button which makes the tray lift.

Mr Flammia and the driver have spoken with the Roads and Maritime Service and insist the PTO was not engaged

Ghost tray just lifted itself up to near 90 degrees I guess. :iiam:

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
Or he just forgot he had it up. (Happened to one of our driver a couple years ago, yes they're not particularly the brightest guys, but still)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

e: nevermind

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Nov 16, 2013

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

DonVincenzo posted:

Or he just forgot he had it up. (Happened to one of our driver a couple years ago, yes they're not particularly the brightest guys, but still)

That happened up here in Cleveland last year I think it was. Dump truck left his bed up after leaving a construction zone and took out a relatively brand new pedestrian bridge over I-90. Did enough damage they had to tear the bridge down.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

YF19pilot posted:

That happened up here in Cleveland last year I think it was. Dump truck left his bed up after leaving a construction zone and took out a relatively brand new pedestrian bridge over I-90. Did enough damage they had to tear the bridge down.

About six years ago, one of the guys running a sanding truck in our tiny town in NH somehow left the dump bed raised and drove through town at some ungodly hour. Woke me up out of a dead sleep when all of the cable and power lines were ripped off the buildings and poles for half a mile. Sounded like the roof came off my house.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

On I-10 this morning, I saw a truck being towed that had obviously managed to land shiny side down.

... one of the side walls of the trailer was hanging out at a rather nasty angle, with plenty of cargo exposed, a few things falling out on bumps.

Am I being a bit :tinfoil: in thinking they should have done something to secure the trailer somewhat prior to taking it on a major highway at near highway speeds? It seems like even just a ratchet strap around the top/bottom would have been plenty.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

0rganDonor posted:

Here, have hovertrailer.

I can hear the call to dispatch now.

Driver: "hey, there are no axles under that trailer you told me to take"
Dispatch: "that's the only trailer we've got for you right now, you're just going to have to figure something out, and the client needs you there an hour early because they have a pet grooming appointment better get to it" *click*

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Powershift posted:

I can hear the call to dispatch now.

Driver: "hey, there are no axles under that trailer you told me to take"
Dispatch: "that's the only trailer we've got for you right now, you're just going to have to figure something out, and the client needs you there an hour early because they have a pet grooming appointment better get to it" *click*

swift_troutdale.txt

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Javid posted:

swift_troutdale.txt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rApOjfHXpAQ

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 21, 2013

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Well, be careful out there, from the sounds of it, one of our drivers got killed/hijacked the other day in a major city in Texas.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

Well, be careful out there, from the sounds of it, one of our drivers got killed/hijacked the other day in a major city in Texas.

You can't tell me what to do, you're not my REAL dad!
::five tone roger beep::

Seriously though, just give the truck up bros, don't even bother setting the brakes, just jump, tuck and roll. Me though, I am permitted and trained and carry a .45in anti-hijacking device.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

0rganDonor posted:

You can't tell me what to do, you're not my REAL dad!
::five tone roger beep::

Seriously though, just give the truck up bros, don't even bother setting the brakes, just jump, tuck and roll. Me though, I am permitted and trained and carry a .45in anti-hijacking device.

And since they are being hush hush about it, we don't know what the gently caress happened.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

And since they are being hush hush about it, we don't know what the gently caress happened.

Probably has to do with an ongoing criminal investigation and how leaking information might hurt the insurance payout.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

InterceptorV8 posted:

From what ive heard the truck was full of tvs and three modified black civic coupes were seen leaving the area.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

I may have posted these elsewhere previously. Just outside of West Yellowstone. Had to detour 50 miles around it, they wouldn't let us sneak past on our bikes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's a terrible place to park.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

I'm completely impressed. How do you lay a truck down like that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InterceptorV8 posted:

I'm completely impressed. How do you lay a truck down like that.

It's actually quite easy. You start reading something on your phone, drop your passenger size tires off the road, violently over-correct to the left, and gravity/momentum does the rest.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

It's actually quite easy. You start reading something on your phone, drop your passenger size tires off the road, violently over-correct to the left, and gravity/momentum does the rest.

Yeah. I guess. I have seen someone barrelroll their car on a straightaway so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Thelonious posted:

I may have posted these elsewhere previously. Just outside of West Yellowstone. Had to detour 50 miles around it, they wouldn't let us sneak past on our bikes.

Last time I was on that highway I had to stop for over an hour in practically the same spot. Some guy lost it trying to make a pass on the snow and hit another car. Then I almost got hit by a dipshit hauling snowmobiles when we all came to a stop.

• Locked thread