Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Trivialize is a strong word for what amounts to just a few instances of it actually mattering.

Morrowind isn't like New Vegas, with hundreds of speech checks that allow you to completely avoid battle. Instead it ends up saving you hundreds or thousands of gold on bribery (unless you murder them afterwards).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

So far The Hostiles is pretty decent. It adds respawning bandits to all of the bandit caves. Im not sure if there are random bandits in exteriors. But they seem appropriately leveled, so my level 5 thief mostly runs into dudes in clothes wearing pieces of iron armor. Dont know if when im level 30 this means ill be running into bandits wearing glass armor though (Im thinking that should be an easy fix though.) The new bandits are there even before you clear a cave though, so it may make some dungeons a little tougher.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
You can always use alchemy to give yourself ludicrous personality.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Are there any script knowledgeable goons who would be willing to lend a helping hand? I've been personally editing this mod: http://morrowind.nexusmods.com/mods/30791/ which at its foundation is good; its a hit more kind of mod that makes Morrowind combat less tedious. A few problems with it though.

It comes in a few varieties (and if anyone doesnt know Morrowind to-hit values are determined by the attack trait) something like +25, +50, +75, and +100. 75 and 100 will basically let you hit mostly everytime, if not all the time, but break the Morrowind system that's based on dice rolls for attack connections which are connected to the effects Attack and Sanctuary. So you may hit every time, but it kind of breaks the game. From what I've found +50 will let you hit consistently but if you or the enemy have sanctuary to a certain degree it will provide some damage mitigation. So I went with +50 as my base.

Second problem with the original mod: it implemented a gradual system where the better you got with a weapon, the more damage you did. Which makes sense, now that Attack is less important. Except the original mod author used an effect that made you do less damage. So if you have 10 in a skill you are doing 90% less damage than vanilla output. If you have 90 in a skill, you are doing 10% less than vanilla as well. This is terrible gameplay design in general, because Morrowind is a slow enough game in general and turns all fights into tedious hitpoint sponge battles, but also how Morrowind functions this certain effect only works on normal, unenchanted weapons. So silver and magical weapons still have full damage capability and you hit much more than usual. Basically making normal weapons pointless.

So what I did was reverse this, making NPCs weaker to normal weapons as your skill increases (on a increasingly 2% scale so by 100 normal weapons are only doing 20% more damage, on intervals of 10 levels of skill) so that early on silver is preferable when dealing with undead/daedra but normal weapons are still competitive and those and magical weapons will eventually out rank silver weapons as you reach a certain point. What cheap edits I've done (really switching around things) works, but the issue I have is I have no idea how to script the last level of the mod. The original only went up to skill level 90 (-10 weapon effectiveness :v:) and then it reset to vanilla levels. I tried to add a last level for 100 that would max out weapon damage to +20% but I really have no idea what I am doing and the script just crashes. At best you just reset to vanilla levels once you hit level 100 in a weapon skill.

But um, if anyone wants to PM me, and walk me through this, I think this is a better "combat" fix than what a lot of the older mods have out there. It still lets attack/sanctuary effective skills to boost up, but starting out still allows Morrowind combat to be less whiffing at air. Unless you're level 5 in a weapon skill. Then you will probably still miss every other stab. But that's still better than vanilla where you could be level 30 in a skill and never connect a hit anyways.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 8, 2013

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm playing that Sotha Sil Expanded mod, and while it's pretty good, some of the puzzles are pretty dumb or annoying. The very first puzzle is actually broken unless you delete some textures, and even then it doesn't make any sense unless you watch the trailer for the game and realize that Green doesn't actually mean what it means in any other puzzle of that type.

The swimming sewers sequence is also kinda dumb. It's not a challenge, just a bunch of tedious swimming and potion drinking that drags on for too long. I ended up turning on god mode and turning off clipping and just skipping to the end, and I didn't feel like I missed anything.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Agents are GO! posted:

On Xbox I remember just levitating and taping my analog stick for half an hour.

This time on PC I think I'm going to do it legit, on foot. :getin:

Last time I played through I did my first Temple character and I did both the pilgrimage and this quest on foot. Felt awesome when I was done, it made so much sense after the fact as I/Nevos looked back and saw it as a formative experience that really helped him grow.

Some of the later Tribunal quests give great rewards, but on top of that you can hilariously break the 'Sneak into Baar Dau' MQ quest. Because at a high enough rank all the Ordinators are your bitches so you can just stroll on in, take the keys to whatever you want, and get poo poo done.

Plus there's some mod out there I had that adds more faction benefits. So I took an Ordinator with me to some Bosmer who had been extremely discourteous when I was a level 2 scrub, had her arrested and dragged to the Ministry of Truth, accused her of heresy, proclaimed her guilty without trial by dint of my position, and had her burned at the stake.

Modded Morrowind is the best videogame.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The further into that Sotha Sil Expanded mod I get, the less impressed I am. A lot of his "puzzles" are really just wandering around overlarge maps without any guidance and avoiding BS instant death traps. The whole "repair the fabricant maker" thing was just annoying. It's a huge conveyor belt maze with smashy death things and you just have to kinda blindly stumble into poo poo you can interact with and then take more wild guesses at what those things do. The game offers no hints, no journal entries, no notes lying around, or anything else to tell you even an inkling of what to do.

And this guy's voice acting is horrible.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I may be late to the party here, since I only "got" open-world games a couple of years ago, but having beaten Morrowind on the X-Box (and now playing on PC) I realized something about Morrowind's main theme: The drums in the main theme sound like a heartbeat - ie The Heart of Lorkhan.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

The game offers no hints, no journal entries, no notes lying around, or anything else to tell you even an inkling of what to do.

I'LL BET SKYRIM WAS YOUR FIRST TES GAME

I'm joking, but yeah it's like that. Trainwiz's previous MW mod was made for normal user enjoyment, SSE was made the way he thought it actually would be. No random "helpful notes" just conveniently scattered for you to read.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

I may be late to the party here, since I only "got" open-world games a couple of years ago, but having beaten Morrowind on the X-Box (and now playing on PC) I realized something about Morrowind's main theme: The drums in the main theme sound like a heartbeat - ie The Heart of Lorkhan.

Still the weirdest thing about Morrowind is that Zizek cited the intro in this article: http://www.lacan.com/zizbadman.htm

quote:

One of the Gothic DVD games starts with the wisdom: "Each Event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the Hero, there is no Event." One can easily translate this obscure wisdom in Marxist terms: "The general outlines of each revolutionary event can be foretold by social theorists; however, this event can effectively take place only if there is a revolutionary subject." Or, as Badiou would have put it: "Only if there is a subject, an Event can occur within an evental site."

Zizek somehow played Morrowind. One a them Gothic DVD games.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mortimer posted:

I'LL BET SKYRIM WAS YOUR FIRST TES GAME

I'm joking, but yeah it's like that. Trainwiz's previous MW mod was made for normal user enjoyment, SSE was made the way he thought it actually would be. No random "helpful notes" just conveniently scattered for you to read.

He doesn't really give any direction at all, though, and that's just plain bad design. It's not "hardcore" or "a challenge" when the player has no clue what to do. And I'm playing the GOTY edition of Morrowind I bought with my first Pentium 4 computer 12 years ago :P

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

He doesn't really give any direction at all, though, and that's just plain bad design. It's not "hardcore" or "a challenge" when the player has no clue what to do.

That's just it though, he didn't design the place to be like a game. He designed it to be like he thought it actually would be.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mortimer posted:

That's just it though, he didn't design the place to be like a game. He designed it to be like he thought it actually would be.

I see him say that a bunch in the nexus thread about it, but that strikes me as a lame excuse after the fact. A bunch of people tell him how hard his mod is to play and he just keeps saying "I wasn't trying to make it playable, I was trying to make the real city". It's a game first and foremost and your mod needs to play like a game first. I don't mind the size, but he didn't bother giving any guidance. I spent 45 minutes trying to figure out this Rewound crap in the catacombs and gave up. I disabled the ESP and COCd myself to the end of the regular clockwork city so I could get on with my game.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

Agents are GO! posted:

HOLY poo poo BALLS

Not lying I completely failed to recognize this and had to run wake up my husband and force him to listen to the Morrowind theme at two in the morning.

He did not complain.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

elise the great posted:

HOLY poo poo BALLS

Not lying I completely failed to recognize this and had to run wake up my husband and force him to listen to the Morrowind theme at two in the morning.

He did not complain.
You two are the best couple :unsmith:

By the way: which "modern" method of installing Morrowind will get the best performance?
I'm looking at Morrowblivion but I think I will close the door on a lot of mods and OpenMW will allow any mod that doesn't use external programs

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

OpenMW isn't really fully playable yet. I think your best bet if you want to enjoy the game as it's intended is to install vanilla Morrowind and get MGEXE or something.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
MGSO runs pretty good (60 FPS, decent load times on my machine.)

Also I cannot wait for OpenMW.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Dice Dice Baby posted:

You two are the best couple :unsmith:

By the way: which "modern" method of installing Morrowind will get the best performance?
I'm looking at Morrowblivion but I think I will close the door on a lot of mods and OpenMW will allow any mod that doesn't use external programs

That is an awesome story Elsie, I had exactly the same reaction (mentally) when it hit me.

DIce: I have both MGSO and Morroblivion installed, I actually prefer MGSO. Morroblivion is nice, and once you get the OBSE extenders that put Levitation and On Use enchantments back into Oblivion it's comparable, but it just doesn't feel like Morrowind.

Levitation totally breaks the Oblivion Gate worlds, incidentally! :)

Edit: Rather than double post, I'll just ask here: has anyone else thrown more music into the game like I have? I put all the Oblivion MP3s, a bunch of New Vegas MP3s, a bunch of ES Posthumus, and a bunch of tracks from OCRemix in there. Morrowind music is nice, but the same 8 tracks get old after a while. I was wondering what other people were adding.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 11, 2013

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Agents are GO! posted:

Well gently caress me, I was just saying to my fiance the other day that it's amazing how we're still finding/realizing new things about Morrowind and here we are with something I've never realized before.

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
This is kind of a dumb question, but which .NET Framework 2.0 do I download? There's a whole bunch of service packs, SDK's, and variations of it, like compact .net and stuff.

edit: Nevermind, I figured it out (I think)

Mahuum Aqoha fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 11, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Agents are GO! posted:

The drums in the main theme sound like a heartbeat - ie The Heart of Lorkhan.

Lorkhan's name is supposed to be TES elvish for "Doom Drum" (source).

Shibawanko posted:

Still the weirdest thing about Morrowind is that Zizek cited the intro in this article: http://www.lacan.com/zizbadman.htm

Zizek somehow played Morrowind. One a them Gothic DVD games.

Haha, awesome. Don't know if it means he also played Gothic and confused TES3 with it, or just used "gothic" as an adjective. Still, I now want to see a TES game or mod featuring dissident moth priests offering Marxist interpretations of the Elder Scrolls. Someone should contact Kirkbride.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Agents are GO! posted:

Edit: Rather than double post, I'll just ask here: has anyone else thrown more music into the game like I have? I put all the Oblivion MP3s, a bunch of New Vegas MP3s, a bunch of ES Posthumus, and a bunch of tracks from OCRemix in there. Morrowind music is nice, but the same 8 tracks get old after a while. I was wondering what other people were adding.

A great one to throw in is this FF6 remix, which aside from being a solid tune to begin with was actually remixed by Mr. Jeremy Soule (the TES composer) himself, so it fits perfectly.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Music mods: first, you can trawl the Nexus. Not Morrowind nexus, which curiously seems devoid of music mods (?), but Oblivion and Skyrim are fair game, though Morrowind's music system is a lot simpler so you'll probably have to ditch the "dungeon" and "ambient" tracks. (To convert Skyrim's XWM tracks to MP3, you can use this and possibly something like this to get them out of the BSA if needed.) Here's a few worth a quick look just in case anything strikes your fancy.

Then you have some Morrowind mod music packs, too: TR music addon, a couple are listed here, more here this French thing...

Also, this can be interesting.

There's also an ES remix among other things here, not sure it works well as background music though.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll grab those as soon as I get home. In the meantime:

~Brew potions everyday~

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I'm playing through with a near vanilla Morrowind install (only mods I got are ones that delay the db attacks and fix up the inn renting system) and its feeling really good. I do want to be pretty things up just a little bit and I was wondering what my options were. Right now the biggest issue is how washed out the sky looks all the time so are there any mods that change up the skies? I don't want to use MGE or anything like that.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Lorkhan's name is supposed to be TES elvish for "Doom Drum" (source).

Haha, awesome. Don't know if it means he also played Gothic and confused TES3 with it, or just used "gothic" as an adjective. Still, I now want to see a TES game or mod featuring dissident moth priests offering Marxist interpretations of the Elder Scrolls. Someone should contact Kirkbride.

What I suspect is that he used "gothic DVD game" as an intentionally awkward euphemism to hide the fact that he plays videogames all the time. Kinda like how my dad kept pronouncing it "Lintendo" when I was a kid just to piss me off.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Upmarket Mango posted:

I'm playing through with a near vanilla Morrowind install (only mods I got are ones that delay the db attacks and fix up the inn renting system) and its feeling really good. I do want to be pretty things up just a little bit and I was wondering what my options were. Right now the biggest issue is how washed out the sky looks all the time so are there any mods that change up the skies? I don't want to use MGE or anything like that.

Try SWG's skies. What mod are you using for the inn prices?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Gyshall posted:

Try SWG's skies. What mod are you using for the inn prices?

I tried SWG's skies and didn't like them. I ended up installing MGE and doing a bare-bones config with only a slightly increased view distance over vanilla, but the sky/lighting/shadows look nice. For the inns I'm using "Improved Inns" although I couldn't tell you how it is yet as I haven't been to an inn yet.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Improved Inns is probably more familiar as being a mod that was bundled into Necessities of Morrowind (eat/drink/sleep mod). It's a good mod that adds much-needed overhauls to the inn rental system (you can choose between number of days, and if your rental expires while you're there, it kicks you out, rather than allowing you to sleep indefinitely like vanilla does).

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Random question but doesn't the Dunmer Ancestor Guardian racial trait summon a ghost for 60 seconds? Mine in game says "Sanctuary 50 pts for 60 secs on Self". Also, could somebody explain what exactly sanctuary is?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Summoning a ghost is what the trait does in later games, irc. Sanctuary means a decreased chance to be hit. You'd have to check Uesp for the exact mechanics, though. I don't think sanctuary is present anywhere else in the game.

E: Checked myself. Sanctuary can be bought as a regular spell. It seems the magnitude is a straight up chance to dodge attacks. So Ancestor Guardian would make you 50% harder to hit.

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 13, 2013

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Right on. Thanks for the rundown.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Are there any mods that change up speechcraft in some way? Whether it's how the skill functions or how you interact with it doesn't matter to me. It's just that the vanilla way is so tedious.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Pikestaff posted:

A great one to throw in is this FF6 remix, which aside from being a solid tune to begin with was actually remixed by Mr. Jeremy Soule (the TES composer) himself, so it fits perfectly.

wow, this is so surreal to listen to. It's like my head keeps wanting to go back and forth between recognizing it as the Final Fantasy 6 melody and automatically assuming it's the Morrowind theme song.

Also, on the note of custom music, the game Journey has a soundtrack with a similar style and mood if you want to just import its tracks to Morrowind's exploration music.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cephas posted:

wow, this is so surreal to listen to. It's like my head keeps wanting to go back and forth between recognizing it as the Final Fantasy 6 melody and automatically assuming it's the Morrowind theme song.

Also, on the note of custom music, the game Journey has a soundtrack with a similar style and mood if you want to just import its tracks to Morrowind's exploration music.

poo poo why didn't I think of that, I have that soundtrack. On a similar note, NieR's soundtrack fits well too.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Anybody know what could be causing Morrowind to CTD as soon as Morrowind.esm starts to get loaded? I was just playing the game fine the other day and haven't changed anything so I don't know why it would randomly start crashing.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

load order
MGEXE settings
load order
corrupted files
load order

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
More specifically, a mod that modifies another mod is loading before said mod in the load order or MWSE isn't loading right and you have mods that require it.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Alright, I've narrowed it down to MGE-XE. Disabling allows the game to load as it should. So now I gotta figure out what about MGE-XE is the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Upmarket Mango posted:

Alright, I've narrowed it down to MGE-XE. Disabling allows the game to load as it should. So now I gotta figure out what about MGE-XE is the problem.

Try running it in windowed mode