Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

How would you have rated that demo, on a scale of one to five

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

winvirus posted:

How would you have rated that demo, on a scale of one to five
He said it seemed reasonably complete, so obviously five.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fourty rods to the hogshead, of course.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm still waiting for someone to play Oceanhorn and post about it.

-Any cool weapons or gimmicky stuff like a boomerang or bombs or something?

-What are boss fights like?

-Any issues you've had?

-Any particularly fun segments?

Since you all seem to disapprove of other people's critique, why not review it yourself instead of reviewing the review?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I've played it for 19 minutes and 7 seconds and so far it's cool I guess, feels a lot like Zelda.

Then I got a headache and stopped playing (not because of the game but from really crappy beer.) will report back tomorrow or whenever I feel like sitting here and playing it some more.

I mean it's pretty so that's cool.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

cname posted:

-Any issues you've had?

Since you all seem to disapprove of other people's critique, why not review it yourself instead of reviewing the review?

I'm an hour into the game. I got a gun for my boat so far. I'm very slow advancing since i'm trying to wall climb over everything.
the only part of the controls I have a problem with is trying to accurately throw a barrel or pot. you combine a swipe with a button press to "throw" stuff and I'm just horrible at judging the angle to swipe at. It runs well on my iPad retina and I have not noticed any slowdown or frame rate issues. Does not need wifi to play. huzzah!

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

BrainDance posted:

I've played it for 19 minutes and 7 seconds and so far it's cool I guess, feels a lot like Zelda.

Then I got a headache and stopped playing (not because of the game but from really crappy beer.) will report back tomorrow or whenever I feel like sitting here and playing it some more.

I mean it's pretty so that's cool.

How crappy was the beer on a scale from 1 to 5?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

The beer is a crappy knockoff of some southeast Asian beer.
It's supposed to taste "red", tastes more like wood or something.
It's Korean, and Korean beers are a lot like Korean RPGs.
After drinking the first one, I spent $8.99 on an iOS game.

Perfect 5/5.

Gurz
Sep 9, 2000
THE 12" DILDO IN MY ASS IS ONLY A PLACEHOLDER FOR PULSATING HOT COCKS

BrainDance posted:

The beer is a crappy knockoff of some southeast Asian beer.
It's supposed to taste "red", tastes more like wood or something.
It's Korean, and Korean beers are a lot like Korean RPGs.
After drinking the first one, I spent $8.99 on an iOS game.

Perfect 5/5.

I'm cool with an imperfect beer getting a "perfect" score simply because there aren't many actual amazing beers in my fridge. So rating something 5*s says to me "this beer is really worth checking out" rather than "this is an absolutely perfect beer."

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Gurz posted:

I'm cool with an imperfect beer getting a "perfect" score simply because there aren't many actual amazing beers in my fridge. So rating something 5*s says to me "this beer is really worth checking out" rather than "this is an absolutely perfect beer."

I'm not going to try that beer since there were purchases made after opening the beer.
Once I take a beer from the fridge, it should be free like all good beers are.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Gegil posted:

I'm an hour into the game. I got a gun for my boat so far. I'm very slow advancing since i'm trying to wall climb over everything.
the only part of the controls I have a problem with is trying to accurately throw a barrel or pot. you combine a swipe with a button press to "throw" stuff and I'm just horrible at judging the angle to swipe at. It runs well on my iPad retina and I have not noticed any slowdown or frame rate issues. Does not need wifi to play. huzzah!

Walk in the direction you want to throw and press the throw button. It's easier.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The pedantic hissy fits are really the best parts of this thread.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

io_burn posted:

I got a demo of that game at an event recently in New York City and it seemed reasonably complete. :iiam:

I'm guessing you played the 20 minute "vertical slice" prototype that they mention they've developed in the Kickstarter.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The last few pages have really shown why rating that sum up reviews are terrible and why people should just read the actual reviews (not that the review in question was actually very good).

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Or skip TA altogether and just read pocket tactics for reviews of games that actually need them.

Do you really need a review for this week's two dollar while-you-poop superstar button simulator? Allow me to review them all for you: It's a great game easily digestible in short spurts, perfect for the bus or those long lines at the supermarket that's guaranteed to make you want to come back for more with ever increasingly novel ways of manipulating you into blowing boatloads of cash. Ready your entitlement because this one is finally a game worth defending over the Internet as a bastion of what iOS gaming can really mean as a gaming platform.

1/5 because iOS gaming

The last few pages are way better than when it used to be io_burn and marsh brothers sycophants in this thread.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hate to disrupt the last two awesome pages but TDS:

SynthOrange posted:

Dont worry, he dies when Vader throws him down the shaft.

(its a bug and its meant to be 35)

Okay, so I've hit 35 bitizens and it still won't go through. Did you mean it's a bug where I can't pass it AND it's meant to be 35, as in there are two bugs? Because I've hit 35 and it still won't complete.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

cname posted:

-Any issues you've had?

I played it for maybe 1-2 hours yesterday, through what I guess was the first dungeon. Combat can be slightly annoying, due to enemies having more life than they probably should (the loving crows take like 5-6 hits to kill), but I don't think I've come across a situation yet where I can't just run past them. The touch screen controls aren't perfect, but I'd say 90% of the time they feel fine and don't really get in the way.

It's definitely a shameless Zelda rip-off, but it's a well done one and probably the best game of this type we'll see on IOS anytime soon. So far, more than worth the $8.99.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Bad Munki posted:

Hate to disrupt the last two awesome pages but TDS:

Okay, so I've hit 35 bitizens and it still won't go through. Did you mean it's a bug where I can't pass it AND it's meant to be 35, as in there are two bugs? Because I've hit 35 and it still won't complete.

Yeah I'm at 38 bitizens. The Emperor can shut it if he can't even count properly. The reward isn't worth 2 bux to skip or 500 coins to succeed so I'll just let it happen when it happens. Probably at 45.

Imperial missions are pretty obnoxious from an effort:reward standpoint too. Build a floor for 70k, build like 3 items, complete a mission for 3000 coins, maybe a second mission with that floor + 2 other floors, then build another floor please. Really? This is where all my VIPs are going?

so, I'm just ignoring the Emperor and red floors. This has markedly improved my play experience (and coins per minute intake)

It needs a 1.1 patch - hopefully soon. You Nimbleguys know anything about that process or are you sworn to secrecy on pain of Darth Vader's force choke?

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 15, 2013

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Psion posted:

Yeah I'm at 38 bitizens. The Emperor can shut it if he can't even count properly.

Imperial missions are pretty obnoxious, too. Build a floor for 70k, build like 3 items, complete a mission for 3000 coins, maybe a second mission with that floor + 2 other floors, then build another floor please.

Really?

Yeah imperial levels are dumb. They could've added some depth to it like how Happy Street does where the things you craft on the imperial levels unlock the ability to build other floors and stuff, or helps unlock the elevators.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

jerkstore77 posted:

or helps unlock the elevators.

hey Disney, hire this guy, he has good ideas.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Pretty sure Disney enjoys the IAP revenue enough that we likely won't get much more from TDS that isn't a new floor.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
TDS: How do I bring the Emperor a Rebel spy? Is that the little find a bitizen thing that happens like once a day for me? Because I've tried delivering some of the Rebel characters with "?" over their head to Imperial floors, but that doesn't seem to trigger it.

I saw 8-bit C-3PO for the first time yesterday, and that was awesome.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Psion posted:

Yeah I'm at 38 bitizens. The Emperor can shut it if he can't even count properly. The reward isn't worth 2 bux to skip or 500 coins to succeed so I'll just let it happen when it happens. Probably at 45.

Imperial missions are pretty obnoxious from an effort:reward standpoint too. Build a floor for 70k, build like 3 items, complete a mission for 3000 coins, maybe a second mission with that floor + 2 other floors, then build another floor please. Really? This is where all my VIPs are going?

so, I'm just ignoring the Emperor and red floors. This has markedly improved my play experience (and coins per minute intake)

It needs a 1.1 patch - hopefully soon. You Nimbleguys know anything about that process or are you sworn to secrecy on pain of Darth Vader's force choke?

I don't have a timeline or anything but they're definitely working on addressing the reported bugs.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sieg posted:

TDS: How do I bring the Emperor a Rebel spy? Is that the little find a bitizen thing that happens like once a day for me? Because I've tried delivering some of the Rebel characters with "?" over their head to Imperial floors, but that doesn't seem to trigger it.

I saw 8-bit C-3PO for the first time yesterday, and that was awesome.

Yeah, it's that, it just has to be a certain character like Luke or Leia or Lando.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
Hey Nimblebit, you know you've made it to the big time when you have people doing fan art of your games!

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Nimble-Quest-Fanart/10905295

Now make a sequel to Bluebird and Kyper already, drat.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Polegrinder posted:

Hey Nimblebit, you know you've made it to the big time when you have people doing fan art of your games!

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Nimble-Quest-Fanart/10905295

Now make a sequel to Bluebird and Kyper already, drat.

Yeah, we couldn't believe it when we saw those. We were actually going to have her put together a poster for our office.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

There's a kickstarter for an IOS game where you are a participant in the 1979 Iranian revolution that's being done by one of the producers of the GTA series.

Here's a summary, from the Kickstarter

Found this out over at Pocket Tactics

It's only made $25,000 of it's $395,000, so it really needs help pushing it through. Sounds like the kind of original game with high production values that we've been clamoring for though.

This looks awesome but I can't tell if it's tablet only.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Social Animal posted:

This looks awesome but I can't tell if it's tablet only.

I feel like they would say it was being developed for iPad rather than for iOS if it was tablet-only. They never say for sure though.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Quell: Memento is a great game. I remember getting bored of the original Quell after a while because the puzzles didn't seem fully fleshed out--I got stuck on a puzzle that didn't seem to make much sense--I looked at a walkthrough and thought it was a BS solution, stopped playing there.

In this one, the only thing that didn't seem to make much sense was one mechanic to get to the right before last secret level, and being that far into the game it presented you with a setup that would allow you to play around in a way you couldn't in any other level. Slightly infuriating, but once you solve the problem it is such a reward. It also helped that it didn't end up being the hardest of the bonus levels, so you got a bit of a reward for thinking outside of the box by getting some easier points.

I got a solid 8 hours out of it, easily the best Sokoban-style game I've played on iOS.

The only IAP is revealing what blocks hold all the secrets, which I wouldn't bother with--being told would make it too much like a maze, allowing you to draw backwards from the target block in most cases. (While I did use in-game-currency twice to show which block would carry the stopwatch in a bonus level, it removed all the fun of those two bonus levels).

I'd give it 9/4 in the Frog Fractions scale.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
The thing that bugs me about IAP is that it's inordinately expensive. For example I really like Simpsons Tapped Out and Injustice, and did spend $5 on the latter, but won't in the future because I would have to spend way too much money to do anything effective. In Simpsons I would have to spend like $5-10 to get one new building, basically. In Injustice the coolest Batman character cost $40 when it was available. If the prices were lower, and I could get a new character and building for $1-2, I would probably make a lot of impulse purchases. As it is I don't see the point in spending money on premium currency - I've played The Simpsons enough that I'd be willing to throw away $5 on it but that's unlikely to get me anything cool, so I don't.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

In Puzzle & Dragons the most you could do is hope you get the good Batman for only $40.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Most of the games at the top of the grossing list have a few things going for them.

1) Most players like the game. This is required.
2) Most players like the game enough to spend $5-10 one time on it. Times 5 million players, but say 250K new players per month average... 2.5 million in revenue per month.
3) A small group are willing to spend $10 a month occasionally to get a serious upgrade blocked by a paywall of some sorts. Of those 5 million, maybe 500K (10%). 5 million a month in revenue.
4) An even smaller group pays weekly $10 since they, well, have money and don't feel like waiting. 50K (1%) - 2 million a month in revenue.
5) And then there's the whales. These guys buy the $99 IAP because its most economical and they actually may make something off the game through ad visits to a site or something. 0.1% (5K). $200 a month. 1 million a month.

As you can see, you don't belong in 3-5, and those make up 75% of the revenue they make. Your opinions matter, but they don't talk money to these companies.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^^^^^^^^ If you're spending $10 a week on IAP for a game you're a whale. Whales aren't just the people that drop $1000 on a whim. Spending upwards of $500 a year on IAP puts you in the smallest of groups. Call yourself an Orca or something if you want but you're still whaling.

Time posted:

Anyone who liked Dragon Island Blue might be interested in the kinda sequel that launched quietly last night. It's called Hunter Island.

Holy poo poo finally. I thought the company had died off considering they didn't seem to give any info through their games lately.

If the game is just a better balanced Dragon Island with at least a little bit of effort for the dungeons I'm sold. I gave up on Dragon Island when I got down to two fights that are pure bullshit. One's against a few dozen Morpheus that have something like 8-10k hp each and are impossible to beat due to them spamming sleep/whatever their attack is that does 10x damage to everyone if anyone on your side is asleep, and another was against just a horde of stun heavy stuff like wolf gods.

superh posted:

You're supposed to check Metacritic, that's how you get the objective review.

This would be funny if there weren't so many people that honestly think that metacritic is useful, when it's loving garbage. If you are being serious then you have my condolences.

The best reviews are ones that don't give some useless numerical score and are just a write up of the player's experience and some points about what seemed good/bad. Was this game fun? Yes? Ok tell us why. Oh it was poo poo and you want your weekend back? Tell us why. On the fence, just loving say why and what could sway you one way or the other. Don't tell us you're giving a game 4 out of 5 candy asses.

Bad Munki posted:

I don't understand how, in TDS, the emperor can say, "Have 30 bitizens move in," I grow my population up to 31, and that doesn't make him happy.

This sounds perfectly in line with the kind of person CheneyPalpatine is. Clearly an easter egg. :colbert:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

In Puzzle & Dragons the most you could do is hope you get the good Batman for only $40.

Or you get one of the good Batmans on your first roll. :smug:

And then you get poo poo for the rest of them while you burn all the free stones you've built up over the last couple months. :v:

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Deemo talk: the devs sure feel good about themselves. Also, buy the IAP if you like the game.

So, now I think you can unlock at least five extra songs: two from the room with the store, two from the other room, one when you beat the game.

Beating the game: You beat the game when you grow the tree to 20m. After that the tree won't grow anymore. Obviously, the easiest way to grow the tree is to buy at least one of the IAP packs, otherwise you'd have to grind a lot to get to 20m. Because of this, I'm not sure if they'll unlock the packs for free later.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Regarding iOS game controllers,
hardware attachments to iphone/ipad/ipod are much more rigorously tested than app store software and while the API was accessible to devs during beta, the hardware approval process was not. The API is fairly easy to implement for anyone who is already using a software implementation.

Expect some controllers to be made though from the usual suspect peripheral companies...

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also it seems like the whole lightning port is a pain for third parties, so that complicates things. Still not many products out there with that, a year after the iPhone 5.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Oceanbound posted:

Deemo talk: the devs sure feel good about themselves. Also, buy the IAP if you like the game.

Yep. If it's a free game that I put hours into I feel like I should at least buy a doubler or something.

Speaking of which, I wonder if Dead Ahead will ever get more content. That was a pretty decent runner.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

The Revolution game has a Starsky and Hutch, Iran Edition, vibe.

Wow.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
Man, we could of had a Rise of Nations game on iOS (the report states Mac but someone who worked at 38 said it was an iOS game built in Unity.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professional Razer
Oct 4, 2012

Oceanbound posted:

In related news, to celebrate Deemo's release, Cytus is currently free. 60+ songs out of the gate, with 30 more available as IAPs ($5 a chapter, $1 a song).

• Locked thread