Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Ahh, yes, ok, let's talk about Triumph for a moment.

So, Triumph has this thing, like most bike makers, where they upgrade their bikes mid production when they run into issues. Now, that's all good and fine and it's nice that they fit upgraded transmissions immediately rather than waiting until they explode or simply ignoring the problem (*cough* yamaha *cough*), but it also makes it a complete pile of assholes to buy one, especially some of the older ones, and know what you're getting. Did you do all of your research and find that the VIN was high enough to be on the safe side of the mid-year bike change?

So, that's kind of a pain sometimes, when you discover that thing X doesn't match up with thing Y. Things like the Daytona battery boxes changing at some point, being quietly superseded, but the battery that you get unless you're really careful is generally the smaller one that has a tendency to thrash starter sprags. Delightful.

But, with the 675s, they seem to have figured out the majority of the issues, it's a good bike, and it's not nearly as finicky as the loving Ducatis. At least with the Triumph when they gently caress it up they try and fix it reasonably quickly, Ducati just calls it soul and recommends roadside assistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

PadreScout posted:

which immediately gave me this mental picture of some balding man in a warehouse somewhere with a half assembled motorcycle before him and TWO plastic bins of bolts, one labeled "metric", one labeled "standard", and he thoughtfully stares at them as he decides which one he will choose for THAT specific motorcycle.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
The only real problem I've discovered with mine is that I have a pretty nasty 8K RPM buzz. It clears up after maybe 9500 RPMs. The internet says this is caused by improperly torqued engine mounts, so I'm going to give this a try. Oh, also the battery terminal coming lose, that sucked, but that only took 3 minutes to find and fix. All in all I love the poo poo out of my triple and plan to get another Triumph when it's time to replace it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The rear wheel socket is 46mm. Coincidentally this size fits near perfectly in a car cupholder.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Snowdens Secret posted:

The rear wheel socket is 46mm. Coincidentally this size fits near perfectly in a car cupholder.

Is that fucker torqued to 2000nm? Jesus.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

PadreScout posted:

LOL, which immediately gave me this mental picture of some balding man in a warehouse somewhere with a half assembled motorcycle before him and TWO plastic bins of bolts, one labeled "metric", one labeled "standard", and he thoughtfully stares at them as he decides which one he will choose for THAT specific motorcycle.
You think you're joking but my understanding is this is a close approximation of what was done on British cars and bikes for a time in the postwar years. They had multiple incompatible fastener standards, Whitworth and some other stuff. I think none of them were even metric or SAE, they were unique British inventions. A single vehicle might have one standard used on the engine and another used on parts of the frame.

I rebuilt an old BSA once, and to do it I had to have a large set of metric and a large set of SAE tools nearby. I just grabbed whichever one fit the bolt best, and tried real hard not to damage or lose the bolt in the process because I'd have to mail order a new one from England.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Terminus Est posted:

Is that fucker torqued to 2000nm? Jesus.
Fasten a socket to the ground and allow the rotation of the Earth to torque. Removal sucks because you're going to have to go to Venus to utilize retrograde rotation.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

slidebite posted:

Fasten a socket to the ground and allow the rotation of the Earth to torque. Removal sucks because you're going to have to go to Venus to utilize retrograde rotation.

Just fasten the socket to the other side of the earth.

Isn't it Uranus that rotates retrograde? It's both.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Ahh, yes, ok, let's talk about Triumph for a moment.

So, Triumph has this thing, like most bike makers, where they upgrade their bikes mid production when they run into issues. Now, that's all good and fine and it's nice that they fit upgraded transmissions immediately rather than waiting until they explode or simply ignoring the problem (*cough* yamaha *cough*), but it also makes it a complete pile of assholes to buy one, especially some of the older ones, and know what you're getting. Did you do all of your research and find that the VIN was high enough to be on the safe side of the mid-year bike change?

So, that's kind of a pain sometimes, when you discover that thing X doesn't match up with thing Y. Things like the Daytona battery boxes changing at some point, being quietly superseded, but the battery that you get unless you're really careful is generally the smaller one that has a tendency to thrash starter sprags. Delightful.

But, with the 675s, they seem to have figured out the majority of the issues, it's a good bike, and it's not nearly as finicky as the loving Ducatis. At least with the Triumph when they gently caress it up they try and fix it reasonably quickly, Ducati just calls it soul and recommends roadside assistance.

I wonder if what you're describing has to do with the way vehicles are released in the UK. You get 2 releases a year, and they can usually be differentiated by the license plate. So if there's an issue that needs addressing, anything released on a 5X plate will have the update. Of course it still comes down to VIN, but it's probably easier to keep track of these things in their home market.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

In America, or at least in every state I've lived, the license plate goes with the owner, not the car. If you buy a car (new or used) you can either put the plates from your old car on it and update the records at the DMV, or you can just get a new set for 20 dollars or so. The one thing that is usually prohibited is selling the car with its old plates still attached.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

NitroSpazzz posted:

2) dedicated track bike - 1996 Honda RS125
Have you taken it to the track yet? Has it blown up yet?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Linedance posted:

I wonder if what you're describing has to do with the way vehicles are released in the UK. You get 2 releases a year, and they can usually be differentiated by the license plate. So if there's an issue that needs addressing, anything released on a 5X plate will have the update. Of course it still comes down to VIN, but it's probably easier to keep track of these things in their home market.

No, it's not. Triumph just releases changes willy-nilly. Their model years (which are different on each side of the Atlantic) don't necessarily line up with the changes at all.

A simple and obvious case in point, in 2012 they changed the font of the TRIUMPH sticker on the tank, but there were MY2012 bikes with the new stickers, MY13 bikes with the old, and I wouldn't be too shocked to find one with different stickers on each side.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

In America, or at least in every state I've lived, the license plate goes with the owner, not the car.

Yeah, that's not how it works in any EU country, plate goes with the car/motorcycle/whatever. If I ever buy or sell a vehicle in the US I'm probably gonna get arrested for fraud of something. :ohdear:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Zool posted:

Have you taken it to the track yet? Has it blown up yet?

No and No, haven't been to the track all year :sigh:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

In America, or at least in every state I've lived, the license plate goes with the owner, not the car. If you buy a car (new or used) you can either put the plates from your old car on it and update the records at the DMV, or you can just get a new set for 20 dollars or so. The one thing that is usually prohibited is selling the car with its old plates still attached.

Not in all states. Plates and tags stay with the vehicle in WA state.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

No and No, haven't been to the track all year :sigh:

Do you look like a ten foot tall giant when you're on it?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Guinness posted:

Not in all states. Plates and tags stay with the vehicle in WA state.

I recently discovered you can pay extra to keep your old plate when you get hit with the "mandatory" new plate... I have no idea why anybody would do that though.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

I recently discovered you can pay extra to keep your old plate when you get hit with the "mandatory" new plate... I have no idea why anybody would do that though.
I believe this is for vanity plates, but I'm not sure.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
It seems I can't get the gaskets I need by the weekend, so I'll have to wait till next weekend to do my exhaust install. Lame.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Snowdens Secret posted:

No, it's not. Triumph just releases changes willy-nilly. Their model years (which are different on each side of the Atlantic) don't necessarily line up with the changes at all.

A simple and obvious case in point, in 2012 they changed the font of the TRIUMPH sticker on the tank, but there were MY2012 bikes with the new stickers, MY13 bikes with the old, and I wouldn't be too shocked to find one with different stickers on each side.

The best is that there are 09 675s with the updated bodywork and poo poo but the old motor.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

It'd be a bit weird if only vehicles made in the second half of multiple years had a problem, wouldn't it? I mean not weird for Triumph (or Italians) but still quite weird.

The year code part of the new registration plates is two digits, just the year of manufacture for bikes registered Jan-June, the year of manufacture plus 50 for bikes registered July-December. This presumably made sense to a committee somewhere deep in Wales. Also VOSA specifically warns manufacturers *not* to use plate date as definitive for recalls because of the problems of old stock and preorders - my bike is 09-plated despite actually being manufactured in July (because I got a discount by paying for it and letting them register it at the end of June to meet their sales numbers even though they knew they wouldn't get it for three weeks due to demand, which also means there are 59-plated Shivers built in June).

While we're at it the first two letters are geographical locators for the DVLA office that registered them, which (because of the paucity of motorcycle dealers in the area) is how you can say with certainty that any bike with a plate beginning LJ was bought from Metropolis and with LN was bought from Motoden or George Whites (RIP).

Have you ever worried that you might, just might, know far too much about a subject no sane man would ever give a poo poo about unless they were getting paid to care? [ASK] Me about the UK Road Numbering Scheme while we're at it. Mind you at least I don't get legit angry about orphan roads whose numbers are wrong for their locale like certain people do.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Have you ever worried that you might, just might, know far too much about a subject no sane man would ever give a poo poo about unless they were getting paid to care? [ASK] Me about the UK Road Numbering Scheme while we're at it. Mind you at least I don't get legit angry about orphan roads whose numbers are wrong for their locale like certain people do.

A4130. In the middle of loving nowhere (where it crosses the 417), it suddenly becomes A4185 for no reason whatsoever. And the 4185 is only two miles long, then it ends. Why not just let the 4130 go on for another two miles?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Slavvy posted:

I'm 5'8":

From the "gettinist pictures you haven't paid for" game.

I took mine to the track, so it's blown up.

Zool fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 14, 2013

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
That's an RS125?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

n8r posted:

That's an RS125?

Yeah a '93.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Slavvy posted:

I'm 5'6" and about 125#...about the same as 12 year old that was racing it. So not too goofy.

Zool posted:

I'm 5'8":

From the "gettinist pictures you haven't paid for" game.

I took mine to the track, so it's blown up.
Awesome picture sorry your bike blew up.

RS125 chat: My Dad's big into electric vehicles and DIY stuff. He's always thought an electric race bike would be fun and the RS125 would be the ideal chassis. We have a whole power plant, control system and battery system designed and priced out...there is a chance mine will be electrified by next season. or I'll buy a spare frame to electrify

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nidhg00670000 posted:

A4130. In the middle of loving nowhere (where it crosses the 417), it suddenly becomes A4185 for no reason whatsoever. And the 4185 is only two miles long, then it ends. Why not just let the 4130 go on for another two miles?

Ah, well 4-digit roads are a law unto themselves, with the numbering in the hands of local authorities rather than the MoT as was. You see :smithicide: WHY DO I KNOW THESE THINGS ITS LIKE BEING A poo poo JASON BOURNE

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm 5'6" and about 125#...about the same as 12 year old that was racing it. So not too goofy.

Awesome picture sorry your bike blew up.

RS125 chat: My Dad's big into electric vehicles and DIY stuff. He's always thought an electric race bike would be fun and the RS125 would be the ideal chassis. We have a whole power plant, control system and battery system designed and priced out...there is a chance mine will be electrified by next season. or I'll buy a spare frame to electrify

I'm sure it would make a great platform, but you can't do it without experiencing a 125 2-stroke on the track at least once.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

This pleases me, and I don't have any of the the bike types listed . . .

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Of course it's an English ad.

Also the use of the word "sportsbike."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's ripped almost exactly from something I saw on 4chan years and years ago.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

"Traily". England, you weird

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The Brits have never found a word they don't like to put a "-y" at the end of.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Like Japan and -u

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

What's the allure for motorcycles? If it's because you like to go fast shouldn't you just drive a car instead? Four wheels is faster than two after all.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

SaltLick posted:

What's the allure for motorcycles? If it's because you like to go fast shouldn't you just drive a car instead? Four wheels is faster than two after all.

It's more exciting than playing truth or dare games on the internet.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I see GBS 2.1 is indeed attempting to seep into the good forums.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Slavvy posted:

I see GBS 2.1 is indeed attempting to seep into the good forums.

We should be so lucky

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
The Brits have the best motorcycle ads.

SaltLick posted:

I ride a motorcycle for the sheer thrill of my co-workers asking me "Did you ride a motorcycle in?" when I'm standing in the elevator in bike gear and carrying a helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I ride a motorcycle for the sheer thrill of having to carry a helmet in the supermarket at the same time as a basket, so I can ostentatiously put it down and pick it up again every time I want to put groceries in my basket.