Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

During my last round of interviews, I went in and had a one-on-one for about an hour. It went well. I got a call later that day saying that they'd like me to come back and take computer based skills tests. How long will that take? Approximately five hours. Seriously?

That would have to one great job to get me to take a 5 hour test for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Count Sacula posted:

You said it perfectly.

This guy ruins interviews by thinking that he knows everything, ruins company cultures by hoarding knowledge to inflate his ego, but sucks just enough management rear end to keep himself afloat. He also most assuredly has a small penis.

Being a good interview-ER is just as hard as being a good interviewee.

He had an air of sneering neckbeard type about him so your description is pretty accurate. I can't provide any insight into penis size though, it wasn't that sort of video conference.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 16, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Count Sacula posted:

Being a good interview-ER is just as hard as being a good interviewee.

This is why I maintain my last job interview was the best. Me, my prospective boss, and the CEO were drunk off our asses.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

The Third Man posted:

Yeah, the position description for this is basically hardware support, HVAC systems, documentation, cable termination, inventorying, etc. There's certainly no harm in throwing my resume at them and asking during the interview, I was just curious what other folks' thoughts were.

The "data center specific software" could include monitoring tools like SCOM/Nagios/Cacti, and they're good to know. It would be better if the job also included some basic system administration. Stuff like "You racked this server, now install the base OS and someone else will do the rest from there" or "You've cabled this server into this switch, now make sure that switchport is the correct VLAN".

Datacenter work is fun in a "crawling around and climbing ladders" sense. Now in my current job all my servers are virtualised and living on a different continent to me. Sometimes you just wanna take a break and tidy some cables =/

But you should definitely check it out, NOCs are neat.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I'm learning that the SMB market share is as a broad term as that of "cloud computing".

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

During my last round of interviews, I went in and had a one-on-one for about an hour. It went well. I got a call later that day saying that they'd like me to come back and take computer based skills tests. How long will that take? Approximately five hours. Seriously?

Five hours? Is this some Endres Game type thing, where once you're done a curtain raises and you've fixed all their poo poo for them and some dudes start clapping?

I've only had one job where they had me take a skills test in advance, and in shocking news, it turned out to be my worst job.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
The only nonverbal test I ever had to take was at an HR firm that scouted executive talent for huge corporations, and they issued me the talent test with no warning. I had 60 seconds timed per question to answer an hour's worth of extremely difficult math/logic/language problems, then had to spend two hours doing thematic aptitude testing, where I wrote five or six 300-word stories based on pictures of people doing things.

I was interviewing for a temp job supporting a database :wtc:

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 16, 2013

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Any job interview over an hour really speaks of what kind of hours they'd expect you to actually work. In your case, 100+ a week.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Alfajor posted:

Any job interview over an hour really speaks of what kind of hours they'd expect you to actually work. In your case, 100+ a week.
This is like the hiring analog to Conway's Law. I like it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Alfajor posted:

I had the most stupid masquerade of an interview at Sophos (several years ago).

A bunch of us had to do stupid group tasks, then sit in a room filling out a form, we finally had an interview.. that thing was a several hour affair of tedium.

I'm glad I didn't get to work there in the end anyway.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Misogynist posted:

This is like the hiring analog to Conway's Law. I like it.

Can we get a list of these awesome management/organizational laws and postulates like The Peter Principal and Parkinson's Law of Triviality?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This is a good start

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_eponymous_laws

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Some of those are pretty interesting, but let's be honest: could you really reference one of those in real life without coming across like the blowhard know-it-all we described a few posts back?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

No chance, but it's nice to be able to put a name to certain situations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Hofstadter's Law is funny enough that it can work:

It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
To anyone who read my last post concerning whether I should take a 1st Line support role over my current position as a 1st line (With some systems administration):

Thanks for your advice everyone, and apologies for a perceived lack of interest in your replies. I did read everything but it's been really busy over the past week.

I'm handing in my notice at my current job and taking the position at the new company. The new company looks pretty cool. 8% matching pension scheme, private healthcare and £300 for every microsoft exam I pass (So, if I were to complete all three MCSA exams for Server 2008, that's an extra £900 onto my salary).

They're matching my current salary and will up it by £1000 if I can pass my probation, which involves getting my Microsoft MTA cert within 3 months of starting work.

I cleared up my job duties with the owner of the company. The day shift will be primarily focused around helpdesk duties, however there is plenty of interaction on servers. It's not just end user/desktop support which I'm really happy about.

The night shift is where it gets interesting. 4PM to 10PM, and it mostly focuses around server patching and general maintenance. I can work from home for that shift! Exciting.

The guys there all seem nice and they've got a much better ticketing solution and way of handling escalations, compared to my current company.

:yotj:

TX297
Nov 7, 2005

IM A HUGE FAGGOT WHO STEALS BYOB AVATARS.
So I've decided next year is :yotj: if I'm ever going to make moving to Austin work. Is it reasonable to be able to find anything at 45k+ with A+ and CCNA with a year of PC support and 2 years L1/L2 helldesk?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TX297 posted:

So I've decided next year is :yotj: if I'm ever going to make moving to Austin work. Is it reasonable to be able to find anything at 45k+ with A+ and CCNA with a year of PC support and 2 years L1/L2 helldesk?

Kind of depends on the area, but generally yes.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Being in Central Illinois working for a business with branch offices sucks today. Of my ~60 branches, about 10 are completely down, and 30 are running on backup VPN links. I plan to have some irritated users in the morning.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

adorai posted:

Being in Central Illinois working for a business with branch offices sucks today. Of my ~60 branches, about 10 are completely down, and 30 are running on backup VPN links. I plan to have some irritated users in the morning.

Technical Support, Ororo Munroe speaking, how can I do the needful?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So how hard would it be for me to jump from Level 1 Help Desk to Field Tech with a BACS(low GPA, focused on programming) and A+? Would that be a significant jump or should I shoot higher? I really want to be working with systems more than my current position where I'm officially level 1 but have to do level 2 and 3 work all the time(through phone and then email because some admins don't want to be called.) I'm looking in the Columbus, Ohio area if that helps at all. I've given up on Dayton(every drat place wants security clearace and 5+ years experience) and the place I'm working for now is about to shake things up a bit too much for $12 an hour. I asked earlier about it being appropriate to leave after 7 months, but now that I'm considering that, I'm going to need to go somewhere I can actually work a little more long term. JR System admin would be a great thing to be, but while I could easily install Windows Server, other than a single online class I never touched it.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 18, 2013

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Could you post the job description (or a paraphrase of it) for the field tech job? It's kind of a nebulous title. If it's a contracting gig where you drive to sites and swap out laptop keyboards or whatever, I would not consider that a step up from helpdesk. But as always it depends on the actual company and job, as well as the pay and benefits, to determine whether a move is worth it.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 18, 2013

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I would consider field tech to be on par with level 2 helpdesk, and I do believe 8-12 months is not an unreasonable amount of time to wait to make that jump. Like docjowles implied, titles are garbage and vary too much, so this could be way off.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There isn't a specific job in mind at the moment. Just looking at some of the Columbus area jobs I've seen a couple that say "responsible for fixing issues, hardware installation, reimaging laptops/PC and taking requests by phone. Must be able to lift 35 lbs" which to me sounds a hell of a lot better than "sit in cubicle taking phone calls/emails from 10 different businesses and fix through VNC." Not having a script(that doesn't exist but they want you to say xyz during the call) would also be nice.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I've been browsing craiglist for entry level jobs in my area and I came across this one. This just screams terrible, but I'm now 3 weeks into my job search with no results so I'm desperate enough to consider it.

quote:

Removed just in case.

Multiple exclamation points, no actual description of the types of systems or networks I would be administering, dumb questions about how much you love computers, and more just scream either scam, terrible commission based sales position selling "Speed up your PC by 500%!!!!" software, or at best a call center job where I won't actually learn anything. "Meals served daily"? Is this a prison? Oh, and you have to take an online personality test to be considered for the position. Ugh.

Sorry I sound so pessimistic.

Cardboard Fox fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 19, 2013

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.

Cardboard Fox posted:

Sorry I sound so pessimistic.

I'm applying for the same type of jobs, basically anything from palm beach down to miami and I skipped over that one. The listings have been terrible lately, I'll pm you if I get any leads.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Amphion posted:

I'm applying for the same type of jobs, basically anything from palm beach down to miami and I skipped over that one. The listings have been terrible lately, I'll pm you if I get any leads.

Oh, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks so. Recruiters aside, I haven't had any leads to anything resembling IT support. I'm seriously considering moving at this point.

Thanks for the leads, I'll be sure to send you some as well.

e: I've even started checking out local Zoos and parks. None of them have any positions. I don't think they even have IT departments. :(

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Dehry posted:

So how hard would it be for me to jump from Level 1 Help Desk to Field Tech with a BACS(low GPA, focused on programming) and A+? Would that be a significant jump or should I shoot higher? I really want to be working with systems more than my current position where I'm officially level 1 but have to do level 2 and 3 work all the time(through phone and then email because some admins don't want to be called.) I'm looking in the Columbus, Ohio area if that helps at all. I've given up on Dayton(every drat place wants security clearace and 5+ years experience) and the place I'm working for now is about to shake things up a bit too much for $12 an hour. I asked earlier about it being appropriate to leave after 7 months, but now that I'm considering that, I'm going to need to go somewhere I can actually work a little more long term. JR System admin would be a great thing to be, but while I could easily install Windows Server, other than a single online class I never touched it.

I would still try applying for the security clearance jobs - it's no longer an insurmountable barrier to employment like it once was. I didn't have my clearance when I applied for my job, and it took them a little over 30 days to adjudicate my final clearance. Three companies to look at in my experience are Valdez International, CACI, and GDIT. Ball Aerospace might also be a possibility, but they usually like for you to have your clearance, so I doubt if they'd look at your resume. MacB (MacAulay-Brown), Northrop Grumman, SAIC, Booz Allen, and CSC all have substantial presences here in Dayton, so you might try shooting your resume out to them as well.

If you don't mind Helpdesk and don't feel the need the slit your wrists at the thought of working in the medical industry you can try applying to Premier Health Partners. When I left they were in the process of starting cross-training of field personnel and Helpdesk, so it may be that they've finally figured their poo poo out or the idea crashed and burned horribly.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Daylen Drazzi posted:

If you don't mind Helpdesk and don't feel the need the slit your wrists at the thought of working in the medical industry you can try applying to Premier Health Partners. When I left they were in the process of starting cross-training of field personnel and Helpdesk, so it may be that they've finally figured their poo poo out or the idea crashed and burned horribly.

If I'm remembering correctly, that medical company had you becoming borderline suicidal. Not sure they really warrant a recommendation :)

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Docjowles posted:

If I'm remembering correctly, that medical company had you becoming borderline suicidal. Not sure they really warrant a recommendation :)

Different strokes for different folks. And yeah, there is no recommendation, just a casual mention in case someone actually enjoys working at places that cause you to develop mental health issues.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Anyone ever opened a ticket with Oracle support?
My vendor has an issue with their database locking up, and they told me over a month ago that they had to escalate to Oracle because their own DBA couldn't fix it. There have been zero news on that issue, and I'm wondering if it's because they never actually opened a ticket, or if Oracle is usually slow to respond.
Unfortunately, I have to go through the vendor, and I cannot contact Oracle directly :(

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Different strokes for different folks. And yeah, there is no recommendation, just a casual mention in case someone actually enjoys working at places that cause you to develop mental health issues.

You're selling it well

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Caged posted:

You're selling it well

Let me put it this way - my doctor's primary appeal was that he was not associated in any way, shape or form with Premier Health Partners. That has since changed, and while I like him, I'm seriously debating trying to find another physician. Unfortunately, with the new health care law changes, the odds of finding an independent these days is small and getting smaller.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Alfajor posted:

My vendor has an issue with their database locking up, and they told me over a month ago that they had to escalate to Oracle because their own DBA couldn't fix it. There have been zero news on that issue, and I'm wondering if it's because they never actually opened a ticket, or if Oracle is usually slow to respond.
Unfortunately, I have to go through the vendor, and I cannot contact Oracle directly :(

In my experience Oracle db TARs (what they call tickets) got dealt with in a timely fashion, a month probably means they never actually opened a case.

God help you if you're filing a TAR about something other than a database issue though.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Alfajor posted:

I get a response in like 30 minutes normally. It has on occasion just been a note to say they got my ticket and will begin working on it in XX hours.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

That's what I imagined. Now I feel more comfortable calling them out on their bullshit answer of today. :argh:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

It's the 21 Century with bathing readily available in your home for literally pennies yet nerds still refuse to shower. :barf:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I looked up the definition of micromqnagement on wikipedia. It exactly sums up my current semi-boss. Including all the reasons and stuff.

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone have advice for log monitoring solutions for Windows-based hosts? We're looking to gather text-based logs from a number of different sources and collect them centrally for analysis. I've heard of logstash but I've heard mixed reviews of it on Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Balthesar posted:

Does anyone have advice for log monitoring solutions for Windows-based hosts? We're looking to gather text-based logs from a number of different sources and collect them centrally for analysis. I've heard of logstash but I've heard mixed reviews of it on Windows.

Setup Splunk and install the Splunk Universal Forwarder on each of the systems you want to monitor log files on.

• Locked thread