Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
At least they should axe the fact he uses knifes and just have him savages Shadows. In fact, I'm a bit displeased they choose to have SEES using weapons, as I thought it was pretty smart of the P4 anime to cut that and have all combats be done through Personas. Okay, it's better justified here, because some members have training, but then you get Koromaru wielding knifes in his mouth, and Ken, 11 years old being able to keep up with 17/18 years old kids and use spears twice as tall as he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
At least if anything I will finally be able to enjoy the Nyx Avatar fight because it's not going to be a loving 13 phase fight in the movie.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

At least if anything I will finally be able to enjoy the Nyx Avatar fight because it's not going to be a loving 13 phase fight in the movie.

They should dedicate half the movie to accurately representing the full thirteen phases of the fight, followed by Yukari getting charmed and casting Diarahan on him.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Iceclaw posted:

At least they should axe the fact he uses knifes and just have him savages Shadows. In fact, I'm a bit displeased they choose to have SEES using weapons, as I thought it was pretty smart of the P4 anime to cut that and have all combats be done through Personas. Okay, it's better justified here, because some members have training, but then you get Koromaru wielding knifes in his mouth, and Ken, 11 years old being able to keep up with 17/18 years old kids and use spears twice as tall as he is.
Yosuke looked sooooooo stupid when he summoned his persona, though.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You do realize they have to cram in all the social links as well, right? It will probably be closer to the way it's done in Persona 4 and they'll just take the big moments in each of them. I bet we'll get Kenji, Yuko, and Kazushi right off the bat.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really think you could skip a good amount of the S. Links in a P3 movie and nothing will be missed, they are very forgettable.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dehry posted:

At least she's included in the one menu in Persona 4 Golden

Wait, what? I've played a shitload of P4G and never seen this.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

She's on one of the tv channels on the overlay. The one with musics from P3.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Iceclaw posted:

I found the P4 anime (and DeSu2) fights boring since it were glorified Pokémon Battles, to their credit they didn't went full retard as it was on Trinity Soul.
While is hard to justify Koro's prowess with a knife Ken got an explanation for his, he's a retarded Batman :v:

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
I'm not going near the DeSu2 anime, but there was something really unsatisfying about the fights from the P4 anime. I couldn't really tell you what it was. The fights just felt underwhelming.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MrAristocrates posted:

Wait, what? I've played a shitload of P4G and never seen this.

This is the last known official image of the FeMC.

E: Also, who's the other guy?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I really wish they would have just retconned the P3 protagonist into the FeMC, she is genuinely a far better written and more likable character than Blandy McEnabler.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Isn't that the rear end in a top hat from Trinity Soul?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dehry posted:

E: Also, who's the other guy?

It's the kid from Trinity Soul. That concert featured music from P3&4 and TS. Not too much of a fan of it myself, the version of Deep Breath, Deep Breath is bland as hell.

Accordion Man posted:

I really wish they would have just retconned the P3 protagonist into the FeMC, she is genuinely a far better written and more likable character than Blandy McEnabler.

Not having played P3P, what's so cool about her? I keep hearing people say she's the better protag, but no one really elaborates.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It's the kid from Trinity Soul. That concert featured music from P3&4 and TS. Not too much of a fan of it myself, the version of Deep Breath, Deep Breath is bland as hell.

Not having played P3P, what's so cool about her? I keep hearing people say she's the better protag, but no one really elaborates.

She has much better Social Links, as opposing to the male protagonist's, which usually have you enabling a terrible person's weird personality defects. She also has a genuine, fun personality shown through her dialogue choices as opposed to the nothing her male counterpart offers.

Also she's best bros with Junpei so she's automatically the greatest. :colbert:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

She's definitely more positive, and can start S links with the characters much faster. Your choices all seem to be outgoing, the most negative choice I've seen was when meeting the french guy "N-nice to meet you" or "Nice to meet you" were the options.

E: actually, there's also a moment when a girl accuses your friend of cheating with her boyfriend and threatens to hit her. Then you get an option to say "No, you're going down."

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I always felt that she clashed too hard with the rest of the game thematically. v:shobon:v. I liked her s links more for the most part though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I actually hated Saori’s SL (hermit?) with the FeMC. First time that I felt compelled to punch an anime char by whiny and useless. The links with the SEES guys had the same problem as the team/family on P4, they suffered from story and gameplay segregation. No matter how advanced you were with their SL they still were the stubborn self centered idiots on the story scenes.
Also I found Minato's links as he beingmore that enabling, keeping an eye until his idiot friends realized that they were wrong.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I always felt that she clashed too hard with the rest of the game thematically. v:shobon:v. I liked her s links more for the most part though.
I'd argue she fits the themes better. It actually makes more sense that an optimistic and hopeful person like her would be able to contain the living embodiment of nihilism and death and to inspire everyone around her to not give in to it and keep on living.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
FeMC's also cute as hell. But she could be canon she'd just be in the Universe that the cast of P2 left. Unless that's not possible.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

She's the result of the writers coming back to the game after having written Persona 4, essentially. They were more experienced and better writers when they came back to rewrite P3 for her presence, and it shows.

That being said, I do agree that she doesn't really fit the themes of the game particularly well.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Snix posted:

FeMC's also cute as hell. But she could be canon she'd just be in the Universe that the cast of P2 left. Unless that's not possible.

Given that everything but Sumaru City in that universe is a desolate, blasted wasteland and the population of Sumaru are the only humans left alive...yeah, not super possible, I don't think.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The kawaii maid outfits you can wear and see during battles.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...

Snix posted:

I'm not going near the DeSu2 anime, but there was something really unsatisfying about the fights from the P4 anime. I couldn't really tell you what it was. The fights just felt underwhelming.

That's no surprise, the animation was awful for the fights. Which seems to be an ongoing issues for a lot of animes I've been watching of late.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, the animation in most of the fights weren't good, but I think it would have been a lot worse if they suddlendy had started to make Yu and friends go from high schoolers to accomplished brawlers on the drop of a hat. Not to mention, having the kids fight themselves would means that they either would never get hurt ever, or have to explain how they can walk home with injuris without arousing suspiscion. It works in the game because, well, it's a game, and a jrpg at that, not in an anime.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Iceclaw posted:

Yeah, the animation in most of the fights weren't good, but I think it would have been a lot worse if they suddlendy had started to make Yu and friends go from high schoolers to accomplished brawlers on the drop of a hat. Not to mention, having the kids fight themselves would means that they either would never get hurt ever, or have to explain how they can walk home with injuris without arousing suspiscion. It works in the game because, well, it's a game, and a jrpg at that, not in an anime.

Good thing that they got Diarama/Diarahan handy, don't you think? :v
And they did turn the guys into old men during the fight with Naoto's shadow returning them to normal thanks to magic.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

Yeah, the animation in most of the fights weren't good, but I think it would have been a lot worse if they suddenly had started to make Yu and friends go from high schoolers to accomplished brawlers on the drop of a hat. Not to mention, having the kids fight themselves would means that they either would never get hurt ever, or have to explain how they can walk home with injuries without arousing suspicion. It works in the game because, well, it's a game, and a jrpg at that, not in an anime.

I really liked how the game handled fights. Remember that they all take place inside the collective unconscious, so they work on a logic more like that of myth, dreams, or television than reality. It also served to represent how different the real-world characters were from how they saw themselves/were seen by others (i.e. what there personae were created from). For instance, in the CU Chie becomes the wielder of the god hand and Kanji goes from an awkward teenager who likes sewing to a tough punk who likes beating up biker gangs.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
It doesn't really apply to Persona 4, but I liked how in Persona 3, a lot of the characters were actually pretty lovely at fighting with their regular weapons. Characters like Yukari, Mitsuru and Akihiko were pretty good since they know what they're doing, but then you have Junpei swinging swords around like they're baseball bats and Ken swinging his spear without any real idea of how it's meant to be used. It kind of gets the point across that these are just a bunch of kids who were recruited into this combat unit despite having no idea how to fight at all.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

And then they defeat death itself.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

DarkHamsterlord posted:

It doesn't really apply to Persona 4, but I liked how in Persona 3, a lot of the characters were actually pretty lovely at fighting with their regular weapons. Characters like Yukari, Mitsuru and Akihiko were pretty good since they know what they're doing, but then you have Junpei swinging swords around like they're baseball bats and Ken swinging his spear without any real idea of how it's meant to be used. It kind of gets the point across that these are just a bunch of kids who were recruited into this combat unit despite having no idea how to fight at all.

I dunno, Yu's swings looked pretty basic, Yosuke swings his daggers like a jackass, and Kanji just goes nuts. It's not until they do a critical hit where it looks like they know what they're doing.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

Well, I'd say it's mostly justified with P4. Kanji's a brawler, so he should know something about fighting. Chie is obsessed with kung-fu, and obviously knows some herself. Naoto is a detective, so she should know how to use a gun. And Teddie is a bear, so I'm just going to chalk that up to him being a loving bear.

Edit: At the very least in P4A, everyone knows how to fight because fought for a year. And SEES has fought longer than that. I have no idea why the P4 cast has their original Persona, though. Maybe, canonically, Yu never maxed everyone's S.Links out, for whatever reason? Perhaps they've digressed after being out of the picture for a couple of months? Maybe I'm thinking too much into this?

Oh poo poo, the teaser site updates in a week, doesn't it!?

Snix fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 17, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Snix posted:

Perhaps they've digressed after being out of the picture for a couple of months?

I believe this were the implication since the SEES guys keep their upgraded persona and they were fighting all the time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Snix posted:

Edit: At the very least in P4A, everyone knows how to fight because fought for a year. And SEES has fought longer than that. I have no idea why the P4 cast has their original Persona, though. Maybe, canonically, Yu never maxed everyone's S.Links out, for whatever reason? Perhaps they've digressed after being out of the picture for a couple of months? Maybe I'm thinking too much into this?

The 'never-maxed-Social-Link' doesn't make that much sense since Yu alludes to Yosuke's Maxed Social Link event in one of his victory quotes and there's no way to beat the game without Teddie upgrading his Persona.

Either they've regressed or ArcSys couldn't find a way to make Personas like Kamui work. Which is kinda silly considering they apparently found a way to make Isis work for Yukari.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I believe this were the implication since the SEES guys keep their upgraded persona and they were fighting all the time.

Mitsuru's been in college, Akihiko was off training, Yukari was acting, Junpei was apparently doing something with baseball (man, Gekkoukan High really expanded its choice of clubs) and who knows about Aigis, though the Answer implied she at least schooled with Yukari for a while.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

Wait, could Narlanthotep, or whoever the malevolent entity is, bringing everyone's shadows back make their personas regress, since their resolves are regressing? But that doesn't make since because their shadows don't return till after they've been hosed with for a while in the tv. Otherwise, they'd still have their evolved personas when they went back inside the tv.

edit: Wait, I can't remember. Was that their real shadows returning in the first place? Now that I think about it, I recall the shadows being fakes just to lure out the actual shadows, explaining why everyone could still use their personas.

Snix fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 17, 2013

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Maybe it's just a fighting game and the story is just a vehicle for some crossover action fighting.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

Even so, it's kind of baffling why'd they'd choose to use the P4 characters' original personas, especially because the P3 characters have their evolved ones.

(And, you know, it DOES kind of create a big unexplained point of the plot.)

Edit: Did they throw the original personas in there for marketability reasons? Or to avoid P4 spoilers, since Golden was also out or coming out?

Snix fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 17, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You're thinking about this way too deeply.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

No! It's ALL WRONG! I can't chart out my canon like this! :colbert:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Snix posted:

Even so, it's kind of baffling why'd they'd choose to use the P4 characters' original personas, especially because the P3 characters have their evolved ones.

(And, you know, it DOES kind of create a big unexplained point of the plot.)

Edit: Did they throw the original personas in there for marketability reasons? Or to avoid P4 spoilers, since Golden was also out or coming out?

2 possible reasons.

1. The P3 guys getting their evolved personas was all part of the main plot, whereas in P4 its optional.

2. They didn't want to deal with the ire of insane fanboys and the fantasy scenarios they had in their heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...
But Narukami has access to Izanagi-no-Okami, but only for his OHKO, so that makes it all the more confusing.

I'm just gonna chalk it up to fighting game logic and not overthink it.