Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Some dumbfuck is trying to sell a mod pack as official DLC. :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I'm loving the listed software requirements on that site.

South-African scammers posted:

Software Needed -
•DirectX 11
•Codec drivers.
•Windows® XP Sevice Pack 3.
•Games For Winsows Software.

Edit:
I'm rather entertained by the selective outrage in that thread. They're all up in arms over mod piracy, but don't seem to give a toss about the pirated games the site is selling.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 13, 2013

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

I can't read that website holy hell. My eyes hurt.

futile
May 18, 2009
I'm enjoying the overreaction of some of the people in the thread more than anything. So devastating! Bethesda better get their entire legal team on the matter immediately!

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
Maybe they are catering to a niche customer base that have been banned from Nexus and Steam? I dunno

Anyone willing to pay whatever R120,00 is deserves their --NEW HOLMS--

grispy
Nov 11, 2013

by angerbeet

Roobanguy posted:

Did you activate archive invalidation? If you haven't, do it, and if it's on, re-toggle it. It's under the tools icon in NMM.

I use Mod Organizer or, alternatively, Wrye Bash. Is it possible with those programs? Or can I just download NMM, select it once, and then go back to my other programs?

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Does anyone know what causes loot/inventory lag in a new game? I seem to have gotten it twice in this new game in which I'm basically using the same mods as previous games. I don't have a ton of stuff in my inventory or anything, and the solution just seems to be to go back and load an earlier save. A quick script latency test (thanks convenient horses) doesn't seem to be too worrying, about 50-70 ms average.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

grispy posted:

I use Mod Organizer or, alternatively, Wrye Bash. Or can I just download NMM, select it once, and then go back to my other programs?

I never used Mod Organizer so I can't help you there. :shobon: I was able to archive invalidate a NV texture pack that required NMM and then go back to FOMM afterwards, so I'm guessing it should work the same for Skyrim.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 13, 2013

futile
May 18, 2009

graynull posted:

Does anyone know what causes loot/inventory lag in a new game? I seem to have gotten it twice in this new game in which I'm basically using the same mods as previous games. I don't have a ton of stuff in my inventory or anything, and the solution just seems to be to go back and load an earlier save. A quick script latency test (thanks convenient horses) doesn't seem to be too worrying, about 50-70 ms average.
Check to make sure that you don't have like 5,000 of some random type of key in your inventory. Seen people report this bug quite a few times.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

futile posted:

Check to make sure that you don't have like 5,000 of some random type of key in your inventory. Seen people report this bug quite a few times.

Opening the console and entering player.showinventory will also tell you if you have thousands of non-playable items that are invisible in the normal menu. Mods sometimes use them as helper objects but if something is misbehaving it could be spewing them all over the place.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've got a strange thing with MO right now. I clicked Check for Updates to see which mods need to be changed, and I ended up with a whole lotta red text. The problem was, the version info isn't actually the mod version, but a date. The mods that are up to date already are in green, and they show the version (i.e SkyUI is version 8), but my mods that are either not up to date or an alternate just show dates.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

LtSmash posted:

Opening the console and entering player.showinventory will also tell you if you have thousands of non-playable items that are invisible in the normal menu. Mods sometimes use them as helper objects but if something is misbehaving it could be spewing them all over the place.

Could that be causing some NPC trading to cause crashing to the desktop? I get that every couple of hours, and when I reload my save trading works fine.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

Berke Negri posted:

Could that be causing some NPC trading to cause crashing to the desktop? I get that every couple of hours, and when I reload my save trading works fine.

I don't think so. If its npcs with items from leveled lists one of the items they get might have broken data that crashes when you try and load it. You could try opening your entire load order in tesedit and using the check for errors command. If its like a follower I have.

Non-repeatable crashes are hard as gently caress to track down. Practically every system in the game can make it crash. You can't even use the logs because when skyrim crashes the logger closes before the error is written.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/46628//

I really like the idea of putting Skyrim into a total summer or winter. That said, I don't think green mountains are a good thing. If there was a way to keep the snow in mountainous areas, but make the lowlands covered in grass, it'd be like Switzerland or Austria. But mainly, NO MORE BROWN LANDSCAPE.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM8_-GrfAB4

unfortunately it's incompatible with Enhanced Lights and Effects Enhancer plugin, and I'm really reluctant to give that up. It makes interior lighting so drat good.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 13, 2013

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

LtSmash posted:

Non-repeatable crashes are hard as gently caress to track down. Practically every system in the game can make it crash. You can't even use the logs because when skyrim crashes the logger closes before the error is written.

I'm not sure if it's technically possible but I'd love it if Bethesda's next game could figure out some way to tell you which mod/asset/script/etc. caused a crash. Most of the time now, I just say "screw it" and remove a bunch of unused mods and start a new game rather than hoping that I've gotten the culprit.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Differo Cathedra posted:

I'm not sure if it's technically possible but I'd love it if Bethesda's next game could figure out some way to tell you which mod/asset/script/etc. caused a crash. Most of the time now, I just say "screw it" and remove a bunch of unused mods and start a new game rather than hoping that I've gotten the culprit.

While tracking down a particular thing automatically would be a ton of work reasonable error handling that was kind enough to report at least something before burning down would be nice. The script VM is already pretty much isolated from the actual engine, making it dump papyrus stacks on a crash couldn't be that hard. Wrapping the whole engine in an error reporter that gave some vague notion of what was going on would probably let the community come up with the list of what fuckups lead to each one. The fact skyrim doesn't even give you a message before choking when your load order had missing master files is just dumb.

futile
May 18, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

unfortunately it's incompatible with Enhanced Lights and Effects Enhancer plugin, and I'm really reluctant to give that up. It makes interior lighting so drat good.
The Enhancer or the Exteriors module? There's no such thing as incompatible with the Enhancer. It doesn't make edits to cells--it just changes the lighting templates. Even if there are conflicts, whatever mod is loaded last in the load order will get priority and everything is good to go.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

graynull posted:

SkyUI will wait a certain amount of time for a quest (SKI_SettingsManager) to send it any custom configuration overrides, each time you open a menu. If the VM is busy for some reason (i.e. other scripts), it will keep waiting until it times out. I think the timeout is one second but they may have bumped it up a bit to fix a different issue. If, once the menu opens, you notice none of your custom settings seem to have been applied (like, for example, the text is large even though you set it to small), then this is the issue.

As others have mentioned, it could also be that whatever container you're trying to open, including yourself, has a lot of items in it that you can't see.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

LtSmash posted:

While tracking down a particular thing automatically would be a ton of work reasonable error handling that was kind enough to report at least something before burning down would be nice. The script VM is already pretty much isolated from the actual engine, making it dump papyrus stacks on a crash couldn't be that hard. Wrapping the whole engine in an error reporter that gave some vague notion of what was going on would probably let the community come up with the list of what fuckups lead to each one. The fact skyrim doesn't even give you a message before choking when your load order had missing master files is just dumb.
The fact that that crashes the game in the first place, is dumb.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm getting a strange bug, and only in Skyrim, leading me to believe it's probably not my graphics card. I'm just running Live Another Life and unofficial patches, and nothing else yet. I have Windows 7 64-bit and a Radeon 9870 if that helps.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/685966454512119691/957D586C4DB7DD0F762F34EE6F662BFD9C9439D7/

I've tried reinstalling and turning off all mods, and nothing helps.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Kilroy posted:

The fact that that crashes the game in the first place, is dumb.

Speaking of which, I am very familiar with the memory limit that Skyrim/every bethesda game has/save bloat but how common is this with other games? Is it just because of the freedom of modding to push it further than it is supposed to? I know that the fallouts have a seriously terrible save system where no matter what you will corrupt your save on a long enough time line just because.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Berke Negri posted:

Speaking of which, I am very familiar with the memory limit that Skyrim/every bethesda game has/save bloat but how common is this with other games? Is it just because of the freedom of modding to push it further than it is supposed to? I know that the fallouts have a seriously terrible save system where no matter what you will corrupt your save on a long enough time line just because.

The memory limit is part of how the program is written. To the computer all your RAM is basically just a really long list of 1's and 0's. A program reads and stores stuff in memory by using an address of how far into that list their info is, usually in bytes. So if I want to keep track of your character level I would do something like declare the memory at byte 4096 to be your level and when I need your level I read byte 4096 and when I want to change it I put the new value there instead. How much memory a program can use is based on how big the address number can be. Old versions of windows only allowed memory addresses large enough to use 2gb of RAM. In like XP they added a feature to use up to 4gb of ram on 32bit processors. You may recall that when Skyrim came out it could only use 2gb of ram, its because they forgot to check the box telling windows to let it use more. The 3.2gb limit is probably because windows has special meanings for memory locations above that.

"But my computer was made after 2006 and has a 64bit processor, why can't Skyrim use all 8tb of ram I have" I hear you say. Well Skyrim was built out of the reanimated corpse of every previous beth game and those all are designed for 32bit processors. And the 360 and ps3 don't have that much ram so why bother updating the engine? Changing it would mean a lot of work for a small payoff (for them, when you crash you already paid them). tes6 will probably be designed for the xbone/ps4 so they will actually want to use more memory so pc users will get to too.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Anyone know of a mod that stops horses, cows etc. from acting as witnesses to crimes? That poo poo is annoying when you're murdering travelers on backwoods roads.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

LtSmash posted:

The memory limit is part of how the program is written. To the computer all your RAM is basically just a really long list of 1's and 0's. A program reads and stores stuff in memory by using an address of how far into that list their info is, usually in bytes. So if I want to keep track of your character level I would do something like declare the memory at byte 4096 to be your level and when I need your level I read byte 4096 and when I want to change it I put the new value there instead. How much memory a program can use is based on how big the address number can be. Old versions of windows only allowed memory addresses large enough to use 2gb of RAM. In like XP they added a feature to use up to 4gb of ram on 32bit processors. You may recall that when Skyrim came out it could only use 2gb of ram, its because they forgot to check the box telling windows to let it use more. The 3.2gb limit is probably because windows has special meanings for memory locations above that.

"But my computer was made after 2006 and has a 64bit processor, why can't Skyrim use all 8tb of ram I have" I hear you say. Well Skyrim was built out of the reanimated corpse of every previous beth game and those all are designed for 32bit processors. And the 360 and ps3 don't have that much ram so why bother updating the engine? Changing it would mean a lot of work for a small payoff (for them, when you crash you already paid them). tes6 will probably be designed for the xbone/ps4 so they will actually want to use more memory so pc users will get to too.

I'm really hoping that the new generation will finally push Bethseda into a genuine new engine instead of another laying of upgrades on top of upgrades on top of upgrades. That will probably be the death of esp/esm data files and so possibly the death of modding as a whole but man the games would be much better on resources.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Tzarnal posted:

That will probably be the death of esp/esm data files and so possibly the death of modding as a whole but man the games would be much better on resources.

Is that a worthwhile tradeoff? Skyrim wouldn't be half the game it is today without mods.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Torka posted:

Is that a worthwhile tradeoff? Skyrim wouldn't be half the game it is today without mods.

No gambryo game Bethesda has made would be half the game it was without modding. To remove that would be the death of their major ip.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
They might be able to ditch Gamebryo and keep most of the code for parsing ESM/ESPs. I suppose it's probably all the tangled mess though.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I don't think there's anything wrong with the Gamebryo engine, it's just what Bethesda had to do to it in order for something like Skyrim to work on the consoles. I imagine whatever they'll do for the next consoles will look and run much better solely because it's not being made to run on 2005-era hardware.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Kilroy posted:

They might be able to ditch Gamebryo and keep most of the code for parsing ESM/ESPs. I suppose it's probably all the tangled mess though.
Gamebryo isn't the problem though. There's the question if Skyrim's Creation Engine even uses it, but ignoring that for a moment: it's just a graphics engine.
Stuff like the plugin system is Bethesda's own spaghetti code that they've been reusing since Morrowind and in all likelyhood will continue to reuse until updating it requires more effort then starting from scratch.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 14, 2013

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
The "Creation Engine" is definitely derived from Gamebryo. Skyrim shares many bugs with Oblivion and Fallout like the NavMesh issue which was finally fixed in one of the Skyrim patches. It might be heavily modified, even enough to justify calling it something new, but that's where it comes from.

Anyway, I suspect the Skyrim codebase might even be a bit more manageable than Oblivion or Fallout's. They must have done some serious refactoring at some point to be able to add all the new poo poo. I doubt they ditch it for the next one - although maybe they'll reuse the stuff from TES:O instead :(

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

I really doubt that they would ditch modding because it was a huge part of why the franchise took off. Skyrim is enough of a thing that tes6 will probably sell a boatload of copies even without mods but beth has to realize they get a ton of advertising and goodwill from the mod community.

The esm/esp system is not inherently bad or tied to gamebryo. Its actually a pretty straightforward way of allowing mods and multiple mods to work together. Beth really just needs basic error checking when loading like the community tools have. Ideally they would support a built in bashed/merged patch kind of thing or even just a data conflict reporter so users could know mods are overwriting each other and to make a patch themselves.

And skyrim is totally still using at least parts of the morrowwind code. Try opening the console in morrowwind and typing "crashme %n" and compare to what happens when you try "player.%n" in the skyrim console. In Skyrim that bug actually lets an esp execute arbitrary code on the player's computer if they don't have windows patched up or they turned off some security features. I was half tempted to make 'realistic' hardcore mode mod that reformatted your computer when you died.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Is there still nothing that adds proper meshes to helmets for the beast races? Something like Improved Closefaced Helmets, but finished for dragon priest hoods and the Dragonborn stuff. (Sadly, the author of that mod was hit by a bus.) If it does Masque of Clavicus Vile that'd be nice, too.

I mean, there is pretty much always some or another terrible new armor on the front page of the Nexus - has nobody tackled this in two years (again, except for the one guy who was sadly smashed to bits by 10 tons of steel)?

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Ugh, has anyone else encountered this constant CTD when approaching the door to Labyrinthian? A quick search seemed to suggest that is happens to a few people but no real solution was found.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is the uncapper good to go for SKSE right out of the RAR, or do I need to mess around with it? There's a lot of stuff in this config file and I don't want to root around too much and accidentally give myself 500 health and 200 points every half level.

e:Whoops, forgot there was a copy of the settings in the SPERG folder. I knew there was a version somewhere.

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 16, 2013

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

graynull posted:

Ugh, has anyone else encountered this constant CTD when approaching the door to Labyrinthian? A quick search seemed to suggest that is happens to a few people but no real solution was found.

Are you using the USKP after the false esm change but not the hotfix? In version 2.0.0 one of the nifs that I think is part of that area crashes the game depending on the weather.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

LtSmash posted:

Are you using the USKP after the false esm change but not the hotfix? In version 2.0.0 one of the nifs that I think is part of that area crashes the game depending on the weather.

I think that may be it. My MO wasn't tagging USKP as needing updating, but it looks like there was a hotfix version I didn't get. Thanks.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Hello there, folks. I checked the thread out, and I didn't see anything in my quick scan that looked like this issue. I went ahead and got Skyrim installed today, and the first thing I did was download and install SKSE and Mod Organizer. I walked through the tutorial, and installed the unofficial patches, SkyUI and some other stuff that looked helpful/interesting. Now the game runs fine, everything is quick and smooth, there don't seem to be any loading times or glitchy issues to speak of, but... Well, when I start the game from MO, it's windowed. And it drives me absolutely crazy that I can't change that.

I've tried changing the settings in the SKSE launcher and the normal launcher, and both of them boot up into fullscreen mode, but for whatever reason, when I go with MO, Skyrim just won't get with the program and fill up my TV. Is there some place I can change this that I'm overlooking, or is it a weird quirk of the system? Am I nuts? :(

Edit: VVV Brillente! :argh: :pcgaming: :toot:

FisheyStix fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 16, 2013

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Add the Skyrim launcher as a shortcut in MO and change the settings in there.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

E: :argh: ^^^

FisheyStix posted:

Hello there, folks. I checked the thread out, and I didn't see anything in my quick scan that looked like this issue. I went ahead and got Skyrim installed today, and the first thing I did was download and install SKSE and Mod Organizer. I walked through the tutorial, and installed the unofficial patches, SkyUI and some other stuff that looked helpful/interesting. Now the game runs fine, everything is quick and smooth, there don't seem to be any loading times or glitchy issues to speak of, but... Well, when I start the game from MO, it's windowed. And it drives me absolutely crazy that I can't change that.

I've tried changing the settings in the SKSE launcher and the normal launcher, and both of them boot up into fullscreen mode, but for whatever reason, when I go with MO, Skyrim just won't get with the program and fill up my TV. Is there some place I can change this that I'm overlooking, or is it a weird quirk of the system? Am I nuts? :(

Mod Organizer has its own Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini in a separate directory from the one in C:\Documents\My Games\Skyrim

MO has a button up on the top that looks like a puzzle. Click on that, and select INI Editor from the dropdown menu. Then click on the SkyrimPrefs.ini tab, and find the line that says bFull Screen=. Set that to bFull Screen=1, and remember to set your monitor's resolution in the lines following that (iSize H and iSize W, respectively).

Another way to do this is to add the Skyrim Launcher (the steam one, not the direct executable) into MO's list of executables, run the launcher from inside MO, and set it to fullscreen through there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
change thread title to "Skyrim: MO help center and appreciation station."

• Locked thread