Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazareth
Dec 28, 2004
haha, i'm not an '05, take that!

The Unnamed One posted:

I think dragon shrinkage has more to do with the Maesters trying to kill magic (which is tied to them somehow), but there are trees that feed on blood and general misery in this hosed up world, so why not.

As the poster above me said, it has to do with being a free range dragon.

The small dragons were kept in that pit area of kings landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Lazareth posted:

As the poster above me said, it has to do with being a free range dragon.

The small dragons were kept in that pit area of kings landing.

In any case, Drogon was ALWAYS the biggest, even before Mereen and possible people eating. Maybe he's just bigger. Maybe the other two are females and Drogon is the only male. Maybe the other two are males and Drogon is the only FEMALE (in some reptile species the female is substantially bigger), they refer to all the dragons as male but who the gently caress knows how to determine sex in a giant flying magic monster that breathes fire. Being free range allowed Drogon to avoid getting stunted, but he was bigger to begin with.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Aemon said that the dragons are genderless. Maybe he means they're intersex or just missing sexual organs at birth, then develop into a gender later somehow, in which case a difference in gender might explain their behaviour. Or maybe all dragons are really aggressive, and Dany keeping them chained was the only way to prevent them from eating her followers. Their size though definitely depends on if they were caged or allowed to roam free though.

e: According to the asoiaf wiki, Maester Aemon also said that dragons are “now one and now the other, as changeable as flame.”

Narmi fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 15, 2013

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Narmi posted:

e: According to the asoiaf wiki, Maester Aemon also said that dragons are “now one and now the other, as changeable as flame.”

Simultaneous Hermaphrodites all the way baby!

Or it could be sequential, like in clown fish where the biggest member of a group is female and if she dies, the biggest male gets to be the new lady.

Dragon biology

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I wouldn't be surprised if the scene about Drogon eating a child is the last Dany scene for her this season. It could make for a dramatic cliffhanger of sorts. It's at least better than Jesus Dany.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

Narmi posted:

Aemon said that the dragons are genderless. Maybe he means they're intersex or just missing sexual organs at birth, then develop into a gender later somehow, in which case a difference in gender might explain their behaviour.

Gender and sex are not interchangeable synonyms :eng101:. Gender is a human social construct.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CumFart Gurantee posted:

Gender and sex are not interchangeable synonyms :eng101:. Gender is a human social construct.

:pwn: are you going to get this pedantic on discussions of the sexual organs of Dany's dragons

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Dany's black dragon is named Susan. Please respect its life choices.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
In later seasons Drogon will be featured wearing a gender neutral pant suit.

Speaking of masculine and femine features on the show, one thing I found interesting over the seasons was the wardrobe changes for Dany. In season 3, as she takes big steps towards becoming a "commander" of sorts, her wardrobe seems to reflect that with pants rather than a dress. With the exception of Arya I don't recall really seeing any other female character not in a dress. Of course it would also make sense to not wear a dress in the desert but this show has focused so much on getting the wardrobes to reflect the character I doubt that was coincidence.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
What about brienne or ygritte... ;-)

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

lifts cats over head posted:

In later seasons Drogon will be featured wearing a gender neutral pant suit.

Speaking of masculine and femine features on the show, one thing I found interesting over the seasons was the wardrobe changes for Dany. In season 3, as she takes big steps towards becoming a "commander" of sorts, her wardrobe seems to reflect that with pants rather than a dress. With the exception of Arya I don't recall really seeing any other female character not in a dress. Of course it would also make sense to not wear a dress in the desert but this show has focused so much on getting the wardrobes to reflect the character I doubt that was coincidence.

Brienne and Ygritte, though they both have adopted a more aggressive lifestyle than all the other female characters (plus wearing a dress in the snow is probably impractical).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

lifts cats over head posted:

With the exception of Arya I don't recall really seeing any other female character not in a dress.
You really don't? I remember that happening a ton of times.

Wait, 'naked' counts as 'not in a dress', right?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Isn't Brienne's most iconic scene her in a dress? I feel like it comes up all the time that she looks even WORSE somehow when in a dress.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

fleshweasel posted:

:pwn: are you going to get this pedantic on discussions of the sexual organs of Dany's dragons

Dragons Animals aren't gendered. Deal with it. :colbert:

e: I forgot all about AleXXXstraza from WoW

Marijuana fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 15, 2013

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Check your human privilege.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Implying that animals don't have genders ("aren't gendered"... oh my) implies that no animal species has specific societal roles typically assigned to individuals with a specific sex. Most species of primates have societies in which males and females occupy different societal roles which can thus be defined as gender roles.

With that said, this is a terrible discussion an no one cares. Dragons are not animals.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
So basically Essos is Jurassic Park and magic finds a way.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Dragons are not animals.

They're minerals.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Jesus christ.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

They're minerals.

:golfclap:

Jabbu
Aug 1, 2005

GODWIN'S LAW? WHAT THE FUCK IS GODWIN'S LAW YOU FUCKING CRYPTO-NAZI? WHY DON'T YOU STOP RAPING CHILDREN FOR FIVE MINUTES, PUT DOWN THAT GLASS OF PUPPY BLOOD AND JUST ADMIT THAT YOU'RE A FUCKING MONSTER

DeepQantas posted:

So basically Essos is Jurassic Park and magic finds a way.

How would you even know whether a dragon is male or female? I mean does Dany have someone go out around Mereen and pull up all the dragons' skirts?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
A little earlier I saw the thread was discussing the inconsistency with the Ironborn and the "Iron price" and I was just paging through CoK and came across a curious bit. Tyrion comes across a letter from Balon Greyjoy proposing an alliance with the Lannisters as long as they recognize his independence and his supremacy over the North. But, uh, what? Balon carries on this long held grudge against the Starks and the forces that smashed his first rebellion, but not the """Baratheons""" (false as Joffrey may be) holding the Iron Throne? And any sort of alliance in the first place seems very anti-Iron Price. I don't know this just seemed odd to me, and I don't know if it gets mentioned again.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Mike N Eich posted:

A little earlier I saw the thread was discussing the inconsistency with the Ironborn and the "Iron price" and I was just paging through CoK and came across a curious bit. Tyrion comes across a letter from Balon Greyjoy proposing an alliance with the Lannisters as long as they recognize his independence and his supremacy over the North. But, uh, what? Balon carries on this long held grudge against the Starks and the forces that smashed his first rebellion, but not the """Baratheons""" (false as Joffrey may be) holding the Iron Throne? And any sort of alliance in the first place seems very anti-Iron Price. I don't know this just seemed odd to me, and I don't know if it gets mentioned again.

I think it's a simple case of the enemy of my enemy is my friend. The focus of his ire is directed at the Starks because Ned led the forces that crushed the Greyjoy Rebellion, killed his sons, and took his remaining son hostage. Also, I don't think the Iron Price ever applied to anything as complex kingdoms at war.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Mike N Eich posted:

At that point, wasn't Robb winning? Balon would be able to get more favourable terms from the Lannisters, and Joffrey might very well have accepted them since he didn't seem to care for what he viewed as a "frozen wasteland." Regardless of how he feels towards Robert, he would end up with half the kingdom. Letting that go for a 10 year old grudge would be ridiculous, even for someone who thinks everyone should pay the iron price.

That's assuming Balon even intends to keep his word - he could very well be planning to conquer an undefended North and wait for the Lannisters to spend their forces fighting Robb while he build up a land army to take on the Lannisters.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

Narmi posted:

Brienne and Ygritte, though they both have adopted a more aggressive lifestyle than all the other female characters (plus wearing a dress in the snow is probably impractical).

And Asha! (I mean... Yara.) And Meera! Osha also has trousers on underneath a long, dress-like garment. So basically any woman who needs to be able to run and climb and hike and fight.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jabbu posted:

How would you even know whether a dragon is male or female? I mean does Dany have someone go out around Mereen and pull up all the dragons' skirts?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reproductive_system#Reptiles posted:

Reptiles are almost all sexually dimorphic, and exhibit internal fertilization through the cloaca. Some reptiles lay eggs while others are viviparous (animals that deliver live young). Reproductive organs are found within the cloaca of reptiles. Most male reptiles have copulatory organs, which are usually retracted or inverted and stored inside the body. In turtles and crocodilians, the male has a single median penis-like organ, while male snakes and lizards each possess a pair of penis-like organs.

And because I didn't know what the gently caress 'the cloaca' is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloaca posted:

In zoological anatomy, a cloaca /kloʊˈeɪkə/ is the posterior opening that serves as the only opening for the intestinal, reproductive, and urinary tracts of certain animal species. All amphibians, birds, reptiles, and monotremes possess this orifice, from which they excrete both urine and feces, unlike most placental mammals, which possess two or three separate orifices for evacuation.

So they just have everything in their butts.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 17, 2013

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Don't ostriches keep their urine and feces separate? I thought they were the only bird in existence that doesn't dump out a single white and brown concoction all over your freshly washed car.

This is very important to my understanding of George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

And you guys call GURM perverted...:rolleyes:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 17, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Seriously. Jesus Christ, I clicked on this thread and wondered what had gone wrong with my computer that I was staring at bird butthole.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Natural animal anatomy is several degrees more perverted than the TV series which had a main character asking a side character to "play with her arse".

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Look at all these city folks.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Please sign my petition to clothe all animals.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Moridin920 posted:

Whoaaaaa, NWS that poo poo, jesus, or FYAD will get you demodded and banned :stonk:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Moridin920 posted:

So they just have everything in their butts.

I don't know what you were trying to do with this post, but if you were trying to make some kind of point you probably should have linked that image. Nobody wants to see that.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My bad I didn't really see a problem since I figured we've all seen birds from the back but alright.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's juts bird butt, not like someone was licking it or anything.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
Here's a nice Christmas gift idea for any bird pervs on your list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QxXg3iuHvw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Jesus loving christ can you call gently caress off back to tumbler with your gender freak out bullshit.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
I don't think any of us saw that post coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

BlindSite posted:

Jesus loving christ can you call gently caress off back to tumbler with your gender freak out bullshit.

QTIYD

• Locked thread