Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
So I cheated me 100 billion spacebux. I bought all the upgrades from a (hard to find) mechanic dock. The speed went from 220 to 320 but the ship still feels like a flying brick. I spent 10 minutes going to an abandoned gate I found and back. This game really needs SETA, no matter what the devs say. Also, for all my 100 billion, I couldn't find where to buy a loving ship in 3 hours, before it all crashed to hell. Also, no autosave! So I'm hosed and I lost all my upgrades. Which are kind of worthless anyway. This time I'm heading straight for the broken moon zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

They did so much right with rebirth but the more I play it the worse it gets and the more stuff I see is missing. I have no idea how to actually do anything and there seems to be no way to see what my ship actually has equipped or how to see what the cargo bay has in it. Does this game even have cargo bays? I don't even know because so far I've just been looting everything off the stations and selling it for spacebucks because I can't physically see another way to make money in this game. Also I can't seem to progress the main "quest" because every defence officer (who I have no idea what they're meant to do, shoot spaceguns and things?) I talk to don't have an option to hire them.

edit: like seriously they could of just ported the X3 universe into the new engine, replaced all the iratating as gently caress jump gates with the much cooler highways and streamlined a lot of the gameplay elements (More mouse-context stuff rather than scrolling through pages of comms to dock with something, for example, and self alligning the camera to "up" so that it's easier to determine where things are in relation to you.)

Drone_Fragger fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 16, 2013

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Having to dock and physically hunt down people to buy or sell poo poo really sucks.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Framerates are decent for me (with most things cranked down), but the game crashes 50% of the time I save. I can usually get one save in, then the next one crashes the game.

It is mentioned on that Steam forum post, but they have no idea what the problem is aside from making sure you have enough room on your hard drive for a save file.

Gonna reinstall X3:TC since its been a while.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
I don't understand why you would bother creating a fully rendered virtual cockpit and not allow freelook.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Haha jesus, this is like the X2 and X3 launches combined on the clusterfuck scale.

I mean, I expected it offcourse, because egosoft; but I hope they havent strayed too far from actually makes the series good in their quest for in space morrowind or whatever the hell it is they are trying.

edit: too far to salvage I mean...

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
/\/\I think the freelook will be coming when the add the Occulus Rift support.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
Saw this tip mentioned on the official forums. So it turns out you can instantly sell any ship you own at any shipyard, regardless of where the ship is in the galaxy.

One of the story missions has you disable and capture a cap ship. After the mission you have ownership of it but since the mission had you destroy all of its engines and systems it can't move or anything (and since it can't move it will just get destroyed by hostile ships in the zone), but you can go to a shipyard and instantly sell it for a cool 25 million credits.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Everyone should have a read through the manual, I'm learning all sorts of useful crap that would have been handy to know when I first played this earlier. Seriously, read the drat manual.
EDIT: Woah, reading through all the ship types you can add to your squadron gives me some ideas. Did you know you can build constructor ships? :dance:
EDIT2: OHHHH SHIIIT that's what marines are for! Capturing ships! Yessssss! :black101:
EDIT3: What the? The manual states that there might be more Pride of Albion-class ships out there, but the encyclopedia entry at the start of the game states there is only one of them, the prototype Ren is using. Buhhhh?

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 16, 2013

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

There is one thing, if they are going to throw a cut scene update, pause the game behind it. I just lot all my weapons cause of the start of the revaluation cut scene trigged with plutach ships around me

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Pochoclo posted:

So I cheated me 100 billion spacebux. I bought all the upgrades from a (hard to find) mechanic dock. The speed went from 220 to 320 but the ship still feels like a flying brick. I spent 10 minutes going to an abandoned gate I found and back. This game really needs SETA, no matter what the devs say. Also, for all my 100 billion, I couldn't find where to buy a loving ship in 3 hours, before it all crashed to hell. Also, no autosave! So I'm hosed and I lost all my upgrades. Which are kind of worthless anyway. This time I'm heading straight for the broken moon zone.

Calling the handling like a flying brick is absurd. It's at least as manouverable as any of the medium fighters in the old games, without upgrades. Are you playing Freeplay mode? Maybe you don't get the "I retuned your manouvering engines" you get in the campaign right at the start?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
Anyone else having issues with a disappearing defense officer? The defense officer is there in the ship, but not when I dock with my freighter.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

How do you get your freighter to actually do the energy credit buy/sell? I got them to buy it and then they refused to sell. People say don't have them in your squad but if I do that there is no way to actually give the order. Detailed explanation would help.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Haha jesus, this is like the X2 and X3 launches combined on the clusterfuck scale.

I mean, I expected it offcourse, because egosoft; but I hope they havent strayed too far from actually makes the series good in their quest for in space morrowind or whatever the hell it is they are trying.

Yeah, this is an unmitigated disaster. :neckbeard:-to-refund in under 20m must be a new record, and I was expecting clusterfuck!

Maybe I'll come back in like a year or so.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It would be awesome if I got the option to dock while my copilot was yacking on about what the gently caress ever.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
Did this get posted yet?

Ap0calyps3
May 14, 2009

Bernardo Orel posted:

I got the message that e-cells were delivered, but no mission progress. Sooo I thought ok, I will just return to the station where I bought e-cells and make second run. So I am flying around this huuuuuuge station looking for liiitle tiny icon (who thought this was a great idea???) so I can start the trade - because I don't know how to start the trade otherwise, when I go to the MAINMENU(number-number) I can't just select buy e-cells from here and do it... and it's almost 1am and I hate this game, I hate myself and most of all I hate Egosoft.
I just wanted new cool space sim :smith:

I am in exactly the same boat. Has anyone found a solution to this?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm still trying to figure out where to buy a Trojan UAV in hostile space. They really need to make the commerce stuff a ton easier to use.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Whoever decided this game shouldn't have SETA should probably lose their job.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

For everyone having trouble with selling off those Energy cells in the campaign mission -- I don't know if anyone is making the same mistake I did, but just in case:

When you start the "Sell Energy Cells" action and the Trade window pops up, hit the "+" button to the left of Energy Cells.

This expands a list of all the stations you know in the area that are buying Energy Cells. Check the bottom of the screen to make sure you chose the Lonely Giant station and then hit Next and complete the order. If you don't specify, it seems to pick the station with the best commodity price by default.

I kept the Rahanas in my squad the whole time, but to be safe I also waited for it to arrive in the system before giving it any buy or sell orders. That may have helped too.

Shonuff
Sep 26, 2007
White like Frank Black is

LegoPirateNinja posted:

I don't understand why you would bother creating a fully rendered virtual cockpit and not allow freelook.

Yeah, this makes the game feel a little too hemmed in for me. No freelook, no external cameras, no ability to interact with anything on your cockpit display, etc. The different sectors are really pretty but I wish you could visually appreciate more of the ship.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

Did this get posted yet?

You're gonna have to help me out here

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

This game makes me want to play X3. If the Egosoft guys were smart, they would have labeled it Early Access and saved themselves some heat.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

DatonKallandor posted:

Calling the handling like a flying brick is absurd. It's at least as manouverable as any of the medium fighters in the old games, without upgrades. Are you playing Freeplay mode? Maybe you don't get the "I retuned your manouvering engines" you get in the campaign right at the start?

Okay, I don't really mean the handling. I mean the speed. The time it takes to get anywhere without SETA. It took me THREE MINUTES. THREE MINUTES. To get from a sector gate to a station. Also, it has been SIX HOURS of gameplay and I still cannot find a loving shipyard. In X3, you spawned 30 seconds from one.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pochoclo posted:

Okay, I don't really mean the handling. I mean the speed. The time it takes to get anywhere without SETA. It took me THREE MINUTES. THREE MINUTES. To get from a sector gate to a station.

Ugghghgghghghgh this is going to get really tedious I can already tell.

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain

RentACop posted:

Cockpit elements in black, view in white.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Grah this is running like garbage on a AMD HD5800 series.

The recommended requirements said AMD HD5870 so I expected to be able to run 1920x1080 with mid range settings with a reasonable framerate... Not so.

Just did a half hour and not at all impressed so far. I might just leave this one shelved for a few months and let them get it up to actual release quality.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

RentACop posted:

I assume one is supposed to notice the dong in the upper left corner. I could be wrong though.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

papersack posted:

If the Egosoft guys were smart, they would have labeled it Early Access and saved themselves some heat.

Counterpoint: the past 25 years.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Pochoclo posted:

Okay, I don't really mean the handling. I mean the speed. The time it takes to get anywhere without SETA. It took me THREE MINUTES. THREE MINUTES. To get from a sector gate to a station. Also, it has been SIX HOURS of gameplay and I still cannot find a loving shipyard. In X3, you spawned 30 seconds from one.

This is one of the biggest things I missed. Having a map where I could look at a station, have a good idea of what will be there and then using autopilot to get there if I didn't want to get too complicated on the maneuver.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Hey guys I finally loving built a capital ship. The shipyard I found only had a few carriers and mining ships and a frigate. I built the largest, most expensive carrier. A few things:

- You don't need to hire a captain. When you build a ship, it will automatically come with a captain. Thank god.
- The "build your capital ships step by step customizing them and making them unique" feature was bullshit. The only customization you have is selecting the number of turrets and shields and stuff you want to pre-buy, like with X3 except you don't have the issue of needing the stuff in an equipment dock. (this is actually a good thing)
- You can dock with the ship. Indeed, you get a sort of lovely docking bay place similar to the equipment docks, and you can see space outside. Turns out you -can- give orders to the ship while docked, but it's a loving nightmare: you have to go to the sector map, find the Albion, expand its category, you'll find the capital ship there, select it, punch the Comm option (3 I guess), and you'll call the captain. You can give him new orders, like "take me somewhere", which brings us to the following point:
- I have no idea what the gently caress to do with this capital ship. The "new order" dialog is extremely limited. It's awkward. So I have a really big, really expensive gigantic brick. It's also shaped like a space brick.
- The ship building dialog is terrible at telling you what the ships actually are.
- Ships are really expensive. The cheapest frigate is like 3 million.
- Capital ships can fly really fast and the "take me there" order is handy because it lets you ignore highways completely.
- You can't cancel orders.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 16, 2013

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
God dammit all the new games I'm interested in always turn out to be poo poo. :(

Maybe it will be patched and modded for next year when I have hardware to run it at full details.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
EDIT: Sorry, you actually CAN communicate with your own ships from afar, you have to do so from the sector map. Unfortunately, the orders are seriously limited. Like, I have a carrier full of fighting drones. I can only command it to mine ore.

EDIT 2: Haha. I commanded it to mine ore. Apparently, this means COME OVER WHERE I AM (even if it is the other end of the galaxy) AND MINE ORE, not MINE ORE WHERE YOU ARE.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 16, 2013

Diet Lime
Aug 11, 2013

by toby

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

This post is retarded because Morrowind is a deep and compelling game; and Rebirth's shortfalls are almost a perfect parallel for the TES:3 -> TES:4 & 5 debacle whereby more than half the customization options were dumbed out of the game after the third title.

If anything, they moved from in space Dagerfall straight to in space Skyrim. At least in the Elder Scrolls Bethesda had the kindness to take one article of clothing from us per game!

They tried to take a deep RPG and bastardize it into a theatrical action game. The gained some fans, and lost others.

Diet Lime fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 16, 2013

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

Hey guys I finally loving built a capital ship. The shipyard I found only had a few carriers and mining ships and a frigate. I built the largest, most expensive carrier. A few things:

- You don't need to hire a captain. When you build a ship, it will automatically come with a captain. Thank god.
- The "build your capital ships step by step customizing them and making them unique" feature was bullshit. The only customization you have is selecting the number of turrets and shields and stuff you want to pre-buy, like with X3 except you don't have the issue of needing the stuff in an equipment dock. (this is actually a good thing)
- You can dock with the ship. Indeed, you get a sort of lovely docking bay place similar to the equipment docks, and you can see space outside. Turns out you -can- give orders to the ship while docked, but it's a loving nightmare: you have to go to the sector map, find the Albion, expand its category, you'll find the capital ship there, select it, punch the Comm option (3 I guess), and you'll call the captain. You can give him new orders, like "take me somewhere", which brings us to the following point:
- I have no idea what the gently caress to do with this capital ship. The "new order" dialog is extremely limited. It's awkward. So I have a really big, really expensive gigantic brick. It's also shaped like a space brick.
- The ship building dialog is terrible at telling you what the ships actually are.
- Ships are really expensive. The cheapest frigate is like 3 million.
- Capital ships can fly really fast and the "take me there" order is handy because it lets you ignore highways completely.
- You can't cancel orders.

I noticed this with the starting freight, It does not take long to get anywhere, it is normally only a few mins behind you if its in your squad, also it goes half the speed of the skunk so they are not unbearably slow compared to X3's versions

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So does anyone know how to complete the hacking mission of the campaign? I got my drojan drone but all the objectives stay greyed out when I approach them with it.

Diet Lime
Aug 11, 2013

by toby
Mmmmm, I am installing X3:AP because the most demanding scenes don't drag down even my jaded computer in the slightest. I only played it once, so this is going to be great!

Also, jesus gently caress, Rebirth's performance was irredeemable; literally unplayable. Tried to stumble into a workaround all day using two different intel/nvidia computers and just couldn't get it to budge.

Dreadwroth posted:

It runs passably on my old rear end Athalon II X4 630 processor, I have 8GiB of RAM and a Radeon HD 5700. It starts lagging bad if there is a lot of stations and ships onscreen, but otherwise is pretty playable.

Yep. We're talking 5-10 fps on both my boxes, on with a 3.5Ghz C2D and the other with an i5 3750. Unquestionably the i5 box should be fine.

Both computer have a 1Gb gtx-460. A low end card, but I've seen it achieve better. For example, X3 with a bajillion things exploding.

Diet Lime fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 16, 2013

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Sedisp posted:

So does anyone know how to complete the hacking mission of the campaign? I got my drojan drone but all the objectives stay greyed out when I approach them with it.

You need to be within 50 meters of the point.

Get used to face humping the structure of the stations for that few extra meters

rentilius
Apr 21, 2010
I actually enjoy how claustrophobic the cockpit feels. It's odd, but it gives it a weird grit. I'd be nice to have other ships that you could upgrade that were a little more "high-tech", but I digress. Interestingly enough, because there's only one ship you fly, I don't really appreciate the sense of scale as much as I did in X3:TC. Flying around a Kestrel was great for establishing that scale.

Additionally, I am perplexed as to why the menus are convoluted but not in any way that gives any sort of utility. Having to cycle through the menu to find a drone or a recruiting officer just seems like an esoteric decision for me. This, coupled with the small delay in the menu response, it's annoying enough for me actually complain about it.

However, the map is the worst offender. It is so under designed that it's inhibiting any drive I would have to start to create a merchant fleet, if that's even possible anymore. Selecting and issuing orders in a clear and convenient way - why have the developers made this into an issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Stevefin posted:

You need to be within 50 meters of the point.

Get used to face humping the structure of the stations for that few extra meters

With the Trojan ROV or the Skunk itself?

• Locked thread