Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Does anyone have any comments or insights on this LG tv: http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-55LN5710-55-Inch-1080p/dp/B00CSMAWAQ/ref=psdc117_t3_B00BF9MZ7Q_B00CSMAWAQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Not from my experience, but I've never heard anything good about LG TV's here or anywhere else.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Generalized LG hate aside, anyone have any experience with this particular TV, the LG 60LN5600?

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-60LN5600-60-Inch-LED-LCD/dp/B00F9YYN7S

It seems to suit all my needs and the Best Buy near me has it in stock for the same price as Amazon, but I just want to be sure I'm not missing a dark hidden secret before dropping a grand.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

It has the standard strengths and weaknesses of LG displays; high brightness, worse blacks than the competition, great colour accuracy, and a decent Smart UI if you have the Magic (Wii) Remote- which is sold separately.
It won't look as good with dark movies compared to the displays of other brands, but the picture is fine otherwise. My Walmart has one at eye level, and I like what I see; a solid just-above-entry level display.
I'll have to bring a USB key next time, and try viewing content that's not being shared between twenty different displays this Saturday.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

College Slice

Mister Macys posted:

It has the standard strengths and weaknesses of LG displays; high brightness, worse blacks than the competition, great colour accuracy, and a decent Smart UI if you have the Magic (Wii) Remote- which is sold separately.
It won't look as good with dark movies compared to the displays of other brands, but the picture is fine otherwise. My Walmart has one at eye level, and I like what I see; a solid just-above-entry level display.
I'll have to bring a USB key next time, and try viewing content that's not being shared between twenty different displays this Saturday.

Hrm...ok...this is the other one I'm seriously considering: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CBQNB0C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

According to CNet and Reviewed.com (formerly Televisioninfo.com), it's comparable to the 5700, but has local dimming, 3D, 120Hz display, and a good viewing angle, but less accurate colours. You'll need to fiddle with those.

I don't know if it's dual core, so the Smart experience may not be as good either, if you're into that.

Say...

... wanna 4K UHD display for only a hundred bucks more? :q:
Better black levels than both the LG and Vizio, with colour accuracy as good as LG's. The white balance will need some calibrating.
Seriously though, you probably shouldn't bother with UHD until HDMI 2.0 becomes a thing.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 14, 2013

awdeetdeet
May 26, 2008
I actually just purchased the 50" model in that vizio line, the m501d-a2r, and I think there is a problem. The right side edge of the tv is HOT. Very hot. Like, uncomfortable to touch longer than a second or two hot. Should I return this thing immediately?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I got a 55 inch Vizio E-Series (not the M series being discussed here, which is supposedly "better") and I am very satisfied with it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Any recommendations for a <$400 TV? I will be using it for occasional TV watching on an HD antenna, Chromecasting to it and using it for a PS4 eventually. Otherwise it won't get used a ton. I haven't owned a TV in probably 7 years so I have no idea what I am doing oh god.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

College Slice
Ugh I just want to make a decision I feel comfortable with so I can stop fretting.

What, if anything, is the difference between these 2 Vizio's, they have slightly different model numbers but that's all I'm seeing (other than price):

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E551i-A...ywords=vizio+tv
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E550i-A...ywords=E550i-A0

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

JPrime posted:

Ugh I just want to make a decision I feel comfortable with so I can stop fretting.

What, if anything, is the difference between these 2 Vizio's, they have slightly different model numbers but that's all I'm seeing (other than price):

Looks like minute differences in screen size:

30.9 x 49.0 x 10.4 inches 31.0 x 49.1 x 11.0 inches

The 2nd one is labeled 55.0" and the 1st one is just 55" dunno otherwise?

Edit: Output wattage is twice as high on the 2nd one (30w).

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

JPrime posted:

Here's the official specs:
http://store.vizio.com/e550ia0.html
http://store.vizio.com/e551ia2.html

The backlight type is different, though I'm not sure what that really means. There's a few other slight differences in there as well. Weight and dimensions being one.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

College Slice

wa27 posted:

Here's the official specs:
http://store.vizio.com/e550ia0.html
http://store.vizio.com/e551ia2.html

The backlight type is different, though I'm not sure what that really means. There's a few other slight differences in there as well. Weight and dimensions being one.

I found those pages as well, thanks...I think I am going to go w/ the M-series one, they have it on Costco.com for a bit cheaper overall than Amazon, even. This is the first time I've bought a TV and cared this much about it (hooray for new houses).

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

JPrime posted:

I found those pages as well, thanks...I think I am going to go w/ the M-series one, they have it on Costco.com for a bit cheaper overall than Amazon, even. This is the first time I've bought a TV and cared this much about it (hooray for new houses).

Note that if you have Prime, there's an extra discount on those TVs that isn't reflected in the list price. $20 and $30, respectively.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The second one is their "Razor" line which is thinner. It's also model year 2013 vs. 2012, but nothing else really seems to have been changed.

You need to look at the without stand dimensions. Depth on the first model is 3.78 inches, on the second 1.9.

The second actually ends up with slightly more depth because it has a deeper stand though.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 15, 2013

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Oh hey Seiki's 39" 4K TV is now just $520.

http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-Digital...words=seikie+4k

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Looks like Sony's figured out gamers care about input lag. They're putting it in print now:

All prices Canadian dollars. :shepface:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 16, 2013

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

This is pretty tempting, aside from a lack of 4k content out there I wonder how good it actually is. ~80% of the Amazon reviews give it 4 or 5 stars, but many of them seem to be using it as a computer monitor.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm torn between two TV's. My existing Samsung 46" has bit the dust and we need a new one to replace it. We're strapped for money, want to spend around $500, but we're hoping for a crazy good deal on a Brack Friday Bundaru or something like that. I've got my eye on:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN46E...samsung+46+inch

and

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN46EH5000-46-Inch-1080p-Black/dp/B0071NWYP8/ref=psdc117_t2_B0074FGP4Y_B0071NWYP8

46" would be the best replacement for what we have since we have stuff kind of set up for it. Samsung is still the best so I hear...should I be looking at other brands?

The first TV is a Smart TV, but both are 60 Hz with 120 "CMR" or whatever. Is that the same as 120hz or am I being dazzled by marketing?

Is a Smart TV necessary?

Will I feel like an idiot in 6 months when Smart TV's are the norm and I've bought an obsolete product?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Sony's also tops, but they tend to cost more than anyone else. Some might say Sharp, but I've never bothered with more than cursory glances at their stuff. They've never had a reputation as low input lag displays, and I game. An IRL friend of mine has the 5300 (50"). The EH5000 is the same panel, just without the Smart UI.

The 120"Hz" is including motion interpolation (Clear Motion Rate™ ); a method of ameliorating motion blur and smoothing motion in 24p movies. 2012 Samsungs will have multiple settings. Auto will probably be best for film content. It's great for sports. The actual refresh rate is 60Hz though. I'm still not entirely certain how it works.

A Smart TV isn't necessary. It's just an alternative to another box on the electronics shelf. Other electronics will include their own UI and apps (PCs, Blu-Ray players, consoles, Roku/Boxee/Chromecast etc.), so there's plenty of choices besides the television. Also, the 2012 UI is already obsolete compared to this year's version. Smart UI is still evolving; it's early in the game for that particular feature.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Nov 16, 2013

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Mister Macys posted:

Looks like Sony's figured out gamers care about input lag. They're putting it in print now:

All prices Canadian dollars. :shepface:

Maybe if the one in the bottom left is 4:4:4 it might be worthwhile.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Macys posted:

Sony's also tops, but they tend to cost more than anyone else. Some might say Sharp, but I've never bothered with more than cursory glances at their stuff. They've never had a reputation as low input lag displays, and I game. An IRL friend of mine has the 5300 (50"). The EH5000 is the same panel, just without the Smart UI.

The 120"Hz" is including motion interpolation (Clear Motion Rate™ ); a method of ameliorating motion blur and smoothing motion in 24p movies. 2012 Samsungs will have multiple settings. Auto will probably be best for film content. It's great for sports. The actual refresh rate is 60Hz though. I'm still not entirely certain how it works.

A Smart TV isn't necessary. It's just an alternative to another box on the electronics shelf. Other electronics will include their own UI and apps (PCs, Blu-Ray players, consoles, Roku/Boxee/Chromecast etc.), so there's plenty of choices besides the television. Also, the 2012 UI is already obsolete compared to this year's version. Smart UI is still evolving; it's early in the game for that particular feature.

Ah so it does have the same panel. I game as well as do sports, and it'll be our big movie TV. I'm looking for a kind of jack of all trades here, I guess. So the Smart thing is kind of a toss up, eh? I'm trying to convince my wife to at least get the Smart thing since its only like $70 more.

The CMR isn't a gimmick though? It genuinely makes the TV look better? If I bump up to a 120hz model its like another $200 or so.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I guess it's a matter of which company's smart platform you prefer. For $70-$100, I'd consider a separate Roku 3/Sony/2013 Samsung Smart Blu-Ray player, as I find Samsung's 2012 UI to be a bit too slow.

CMR is a gimmick, but it does make the picture look better, depending on what you're watching. For sports, absolutely; it's as good as actual 120Hz. The generated frames can make film content look too smooth like a cheap soap opera, but Samsung's Auto Motion Plus setting will avoid it. And you wouldn't want to have it on for gaming, as by it's nature it increases input lag.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bestbuy's website lists the real refresh rate in their product descriptions, for the record.

Just about every other retailer goes with the TruMotion/CMR/MotionFlow/etc. number, which is usually double the real rate.

Even if you're not shopping at Bestbuy, you can always check if they have the model listed if you're not sure.

Mister Macys posted:

And you wouldn't want to have it on for gaming, as by it's nature it increases input lag.

In most cases you can't. Game Mode usually turns it off.

You could probably afford to use it on a Sony TV though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Speaking of Sony, is there anything bad about the KDL50R450A? It has the ports I need, and $599 seems like an awfully good price for a 50".

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Aphrodite posted:

Just about every other retailer goes with the TruMotion/CMR/MotionFlow/etc. number, which is usually double the real rate.
My Samsung's is a comical 1200

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for all the info ont he TVs. We are strapped for one, and its getting mighty old going from a 46" to a 19" Insignia.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Dr Tran posted:

My Samsung's is a comical 1200

Panasonic 2500 hz focused field drive.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Breaky posted:

Any recommendations for a <$400 TV? I will be using it for occasional TV watching on an HD antenna, Chromecasting to it and using it for a PS4 eventually. Otherwise it won't get used a ton. I haven't owned a TV in probably 7 years so I have no idea what I am doing oh god.

So, still not sure about this, do I need a better than average type of TV for the PS4 etc? Is more than 1 HDMI slot really worth it? Any favorites on the lower price end between 32-40" ?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I have a similar question - my dad wants a TV that my mom can use in the kitchen during the day and he can move into his room to play PS3 in the evening. Don't need anything large or with excellent colors, just durable and inexpensive.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Bestbuy Insignia store brand is probably your best shot at those price points for something of decent size.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I've been looking into a new living room TV for my parents to replace their old 46 inch Sony KDL-46V25L1 with a 60-70 inch TV that they can have wall mounted and have a couple questions.

They explicitly told me that they do not want a Plasma TV and after looking around on cnet's review site the Samsung UN65F6300 looked like the best option though it's on the very edge of their price range ($1000-$1750). I chose it because it sounded like it this model has a good picture quality. Still, would rather take them to a store so they can look at it and some other models, which brings me to my first question.

Are there any similar quality alternatives out to this Samsung that are within their price range. I know that my dad likes the picture on my 37 inch Vizio VX37L-HDTV10A better than the Sony he has in the living room. Only difference I can tell between the two is that the colors pop/are a bit more vivid on the Vizio.

My second question involves wall mounts. I saw several listed back a few pages though they varied in price from $45 to $120. Besides the VESA hole patterns is there anything else I should look out for? What do you do about the cables?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Has anyone put up a list of the best pre-Black Friday online deals? I just got a $650 bonus at work, and I'm soon to be moving into my first apartment, so I'm looking into a TV. I'll be keeping my older 32" 720p Samsung for my room, but I want something nice for the living room.

I could use a little advice on what I should look for. I want something around 46". I want 120Hz, but only if it really works. I definately don't want to pay for Smart TV features, as I'm going to have a pretty awesome HTPC connected to it. And it needs to be good for gaming, as I plan to be rooming with my brother, and I hope to convince him that his Playstation 4 needs to live in the living room.

But should I really bother looking into 120Hz? Is that something I'm going to be getting a lot of use out of on an HTPC? I expect the computer to get a lot more use than the cable box. (In fact, maybe we won't get much of cable at all and just get Internet.)

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
I'm thinking of ordering this 50" 4K TV today. The price and reviews almost seem too good to be true. Anything I'm missing or any reason I'd want to hold off on ordering this TV from anyone's expert opinion? I haven't bought a TV since 2004 and I am most certainly out of the loop. TV would be used for HD cable, XBox 360 for gaming, netflix etc and I'm probably going to pick up an XBone in 6 months or so.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BXF7I9M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 19, 2013

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Mental Midget posted:

I'm thinking of ordering this 50" 4K TV today.
first new TV since 2004 and can't wait until Black Friday?

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Dr Tran posted:

first new TV since 2004 and can't wait until Black Friday?

I didn't see any upcoming deals on 4K stuff for Black Friday so far, but you do bring up a good point :)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mental Midget posted:

I'm thinking of ordering this 50" 4K TV today. The price and reviews almost seem too good to be true. Anything I'm missing or any reason I'd want to hold off on ordering this TV from anyone's expert opinion? I haven't bought a TV since 2004 and I am most certainly out of the loop. TV would be used for HD cable, XBox 360 for gaming, netflix etc and I'm probably going to pick up an XBone in 6 months or so.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BXF7I9M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

What do you want out of a TV? The biggest reason I see to hold out on this TV is that it has pretty bad picture quality and only accepts 30hz input right now at 4K resolution. Is there a reason you want this over a similar LED-backlit TV? Especially because HD cable, the 360 and the Xbox One don't have any 4K content at all.

quote:

The bottom line: Seiki's SE50UY04 can't compete with most standard HDTVs at this price in terms of picture quality
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/seiki-se50uy04-4k-uhd/4505-6482_7-35757100.html

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I imagine you would want to make sure any 4k TV you buy has HDMI 2.0 ports: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/4/4693674/hdmi-2-0-specification-supports-60fps-4k-video-32-channel-audio

There also seem to be major roadblocks in the way of 4k content becoming widely available, as far as I can tell? It takes an insane amount of power to render games at 4k. The new consoles are barely hitting 1080p. The only 4k video player on the market is almost as expensive as that TV and only works on Sony TVs, and it only plays an extremely limited set of content. Netflix is planning to launch 4k sometime next year, but the bandwidth requirements are certainly going to be high. And that's not even getting into the source being available at 4k. Most movie special effects are rendered at 2k, not 4k, even if the film itself is shot at 4k or on film.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

cbirdsong posted:

It takes an insane amount of power to render games at 4k. The new consoles are barely hitting 1080p.

That article is 5 months old, there's been several huge GPU launches since then and if you pop over to the GPU thread you can see that it only takes $800 of graphics card and some earplugs for fan noise to play at 4K now, not $3000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Ah, good to know. Getting better, but $800 worth of video card is still pretty impractical.