Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Santa is strapped posted:

[for scanning negatives]
Another option is buying a macro lens for your DSLR.

Coming back to this point, is there anything in particular I should look for in a macro lens to do this kind of thing? Would this Tamron 90mm f/2.8 work just fine? On a crop body, if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

404notfound posted:

Coming back to this point, is there anything in particular I should look for in a macro lens to do this kind of thing? Would this Tamron 90mm f/2.8 work just fine? On a crop body, if that matters.

The lens just needs to be sharp. On a crop body, 2:1 reproduction ratio (i.e. objects are projected onto sensor with dimensions halved at closest focus) should be fine. I love my Nikkor 55/2.8 AI, which only does 2:1 macro, it almost perfectly covers a Nikon DX sensor with a regular negative.
After you have a decent lens, you also need a way to hold the film flat and level relative to the camera, and you need an even, textureless light source behind the negative. Get a light table for the light source. If you have access to a 3D printer, here is a printable holder for 135 format negative strips.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

ShotgunWillie posted:

Henley's Twentieth Century Home & Workshop Formulas Recipes & Processes, 1927

Also, a whole section on homemade papers.

Heck, there's even a section on three color process photography. Wicked complicated.

Could you post the homemade paper section? Maybe scan or something? I'd be really interested in maybe trying some...

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Curlynegchat and macrolenschat -relevant -- I just finished my first roll of home developed Acros.

Euclid by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Untitled by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Narmada by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

I ended up cutting 35mm-sized mat board from a scrap piece of mat then using clamps to attach it a piece of picture frame glass. I set my SB-700 pointed at the back of a cardboard box with a hole in it, then put sheets of printer paper on the back of the box and in front of the hole. Shot at f11, 1/125, 200ISO with flash at 1/2 power.

D90 with 105 Micro Nikkor "scanner" by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Couple negs had this weird fog - is it from underexposure or some photoflo fuckery?

Untitled by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
The first few shots look a little low in contrast, are they straight out of your rig? As for the last one, does the neg itself look very thin, giving lots of black space with a positive?

If people don't want to scan, they should have a crack at using one of these:
http://www.macodirect.de/digital-duplicatorbrus-version-p-751.html

I've never used one, but it looks pretty neat.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Has anyone actually used one of those? They got brought up in the thread a while back but no-one posted any results.

What about this thing? Reviews on it seem good:

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Slide-Copier-Digital-Cameras/dp/B000EQ24Z4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384554641&sr=8-1&keywords=slide+copier+canon

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 15, 2013

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Spedman posted:

The first few shots look a little low in contrast, are they straight out of your rig? As for the last one, does the neg itself look very thin, giving lots of black space with a positive?

If people don't want to scan, they should have a crack at using one of these:
http://www.macodirect.de/digital-duplicatorbrus-version-p-751.html

I've never used one, but it looks pretty neat.

Wouldn't the (i'm assuming) cheap close-up lens built in be bad for image quality? The idea sounds good, but it's hard to believe it has decent glass at that price.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Primo Itch posted:

Wouldn't the (i'm assuming) cheap close-up lens built in be bad for image quality? The idea sounds good, but it's hard to believe it has decent glass at that price.

From my understanding you're supposed to just screw that onto a macro lens, rather than it acting as a lens it's self.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Has anyone actually used one of those? They got brought up in the thread a while back but no-one posted any results.

What about this thing? Reviews on it seem good:

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Slide-Copier-Digital-Cameras/dp/B000EQ24Z4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384554641&sr=8-1&keywords=slide+copier+canon

Is there one of those but for strips of negatives? Also, what makes it "for" Canon cameras?

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
So my pentax k1000's mirror keeps getting stuck when I take photo's at 1/60 or sometimes 1/125, and I'd either have to pull the lever down by hand or take a shot at 1/1000 to get it unstuck. It needs to get it's foam replaced, but I don't think it's the culprit to this problem just yet. Any ideas on how I should begin troubleshooting this thing?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

404notfound posted:

Is there one of those but for strips of negatives? Also, what makes it "for" Canon cameras?

No idea, there's one for Nikon for the same price.

Understanding posted:

So my pentax k1000's mirror keeps getting stuck when I take photo's at 1/60 or sometimes 1/125, and I'd either have to pull the lever down by hand or take a shot at 1/1000 to get it unstuck. It needs to get it's foam replaced, but I don't think it's the culprit to this problem just yet. Any ideas on how I should begin troubleshooting this thing?

I have no idea if the K1000 has one but try changing the battery. At least you can rule that out.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 16, 2013

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Spedman posted:

Some if the negs were really low contrast, yeah. I added some contrast in Lightroom mostly by pulling down the blacks and upping the whites until the histogram started to clip. Pretty sure the left side loss of contrast in the sliding board picture is flare -- the Lynx has an uncoated lens that flares like a motherfucker.

The dark space in the foggy ones does look really thin. I can't really see anything on the neg itself. I had my diffuser paper about an inch behind the frame... maybe I should move it back some more?

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!

I have no idea if the K1000 has one but try changing the battery. At least you can rule that out.

it's not a battery operated camera. It's all mechanical, that's why I don't really want to start trouble shooting it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Spedman posted:

From my understanding you're supposed to just screw that onto a macro lens, rather than it acting as a lens it's self.

Yup, you put it onto any lens (not just macro) and it adds a diopter correction, like a set of eyeglasses that makes the lens nearsighted.

The quality is variable. The cheap ones are kinda bad, the nice 2-element Canon 500D filters are pretty great. You can also use a wide angle lens plus a normal and a reversing ring or something like that, someone here has done that and it seemed to work pretty well.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Understanding posted:

it's not a battery operated camera. It's all mechanical, that's why I don't really want to start trouble shooting it.

It's likely the foam light seal starting to decay and get sticky. So when the shutter fires, the mirror flips up, hits the foam and gets stuck. On faster shutter speeds it bounces down fast enough to overcome the stickiness.

You should be able to find someone to do a CLA on the camera for <$75.

Eric Hendrickson seems to be the best guy to do CLAs on Pentax film SLRs and lenses. The people over at the Pentax Forum rave about him. I'm thinking about sending my K1000 over to him for some preventative maintenance.

ZippySLC fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 17, 2013

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ZippySLC posted:

It's likely the foam light seal starting to decay and get sticky. So when the shutter fires, the mirror flips up, hits the foam and gets stuck. On faster shutter speeds it bounces down fast enough to overcome the stickiness.

You should be able to find someone to do a CLA on the camera for <$75.

Eric Hendrickson seems to be the best guy to do CLAs on Pentax film SLRs and lenses. The people over at the Pentax Forum rave about him. I'm thinking about sending my K1000 over to him for some preventative maintenance.

He did a great job on my spotty. Was under $100 and worth every penny.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I just, by chance, won a couple of Pentax Super ME's on auction yesterday. Good to hear I can get them serviced if they need it.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I was checking out an antique shop that just opened up in my area, and I found a camera bag with a $15 price tag on it. When I opened it, it had this sucker in there.

It had a 28-80mm kit lens on it, with original documents and instructions. I replaced the kit lens with my Pentacon 50mm and finished off the roll that was in there, and dropped it off at a rinky-dink development place. I suck at shooting film and I have no scanner, but the photos came out alright.

Stake out your local yard sales and antique malls, folks. I don't know if anyone even uses this thing, but for 15 bucks, I thought it was neat.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Low Desert Punk posted:

finished off the roll that was in there, and dropped it off at a rinky-dink development place. I suck at shooting film and I have no scanner, but the photos came out alright.
First, that's an awesome find.

Second, are you saying you finished off a partially-exposed roll that had been sitting in the camera for who-knows-how-long? Anything interesting come out of that? Find a second-hand scanner (with light in the lid for film) for $20 or whatever and put that poo poo up, man!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm always afraid of getting rolls I find in second-hand cameras developed in case there's dodgy poo poo on them, I usually dump them straight away.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

I'm always afraid of getting rolls I find in second-hand cameras developed in case there's dodgy poo poo on them, I usually dump them straight away.

What the gently caress

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

your odds of finding something that could get you in trouble are so low as to be nonexistent. you're being paranoid over nothing.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Genderfluid posted:

your odds of finding something that could get you in trouble are so low as to be nonexistent. you're being paranoid over nothing.

This.

Even my non photographer friends knew that the stuff they shot was going to be potentially seen by the mini-lab guys making the prints. I assume this is true for almost everyone, especially when they had a better-than point and shoot film camera. Remember this was before the days of personalized data, and 99.5% of the consumers had to to through the public and human interaction to get to their prints / images. They wouldn't shoot dodgy stuff on there and were already hesitant about boobies and similar things.

So next time, send them to me. Don't throw them away. I'll pay postage. Really!

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
in any case, if you get dev only without scans or prints, i don't think the minilab guys would see what's on the negatives unless they were looking really hard.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
IR filter + 10 stop IRND ok for long exposures on ilford sfx 200 or is the film no good for LE's? Also will the IR filter black out the blue sky on this film?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Imagine someone had shot vital crime evidence... on an undeveloped roll of Kodachrome.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I just had this happen, my fiancé's uncle gave me his old FE with a half shot roll of film in it. I thought, awesome! I'll be able to get some old unseen family photos from it, so I wind it up, pop open the back and it's a roll of Kodachrome 64 :smith:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I always hold out hope that those crazy Russian (?) guys who acquired Kodachrome chemicals will sort something out for us :unsmith:

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -