Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Rutgers has a farm for their agricultural students. Not sure how their program is but it seemed like they had a lot of room for growth :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mr. Fowl posted:

Rutgers has a farm for their agricultural students. Not sure how their program is but it seemed like they had a lot of room for growth :downsrim:

I was going to put down Rutgers but I wasn't quite sure how big their ag program was any more. But yes, agricultural science is alive in the US. I wish I'd done in in college, as opposed to this fantastic degree in graphic design I'm getting so much use out of.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I used to drive by Rutgers' farms, which are right beside Route 1, every weekend or so. It's nowhere near as big as Ezono (is that how you spell it?), but it's still there.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I went to high school with a guy who was slated to take over his family's sugar cane company, and his choice of college was pretty much predetermined by the fact that our local state university has an extensive agricultural focus with a strong background in sugar cane. All the students talking about how they're expected to take over the family farm reminded me of him.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Finally we get to the scene that catapulted this series from good to awesome in the manga version.
My greatest fear about the Anime was that they might change it to something more typically Anime.
But they didn't. Huraay. Time to eat some bacon in celebration.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
They've discovered the portal to the meat dimension

This episode was really well done. Can't say it enough, this series rules.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Well, this episode was sweet and well done, like bacon.
This show has always managed to be sad while also staying funny, and this episode was no exception.

Widdiful fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 13, 2013

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Kinda disappointed they didn't go the pie chart gag. Good episode though.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
An important note by way of my brother, who actually did this: Please, make your own bacon. It's rewarding and delicious.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

While going to a university for agriculture is a good way to learn -- I graduated from Va Tech, which had a decent agricultural program -- including a team of meat cutting instructors, missing fingers and all -- but there are other ways.

My son Woof'd it last year for 10-weeks. Since it's world-wide, you can even do this in Japan.

I'm thinking I might try a three-week Woof sometime in the next few years somewhere.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

tonberrytoby posted:

Finally we get to the scene that catapulted this series from good to awesome in the manga version.
My greatest fear about the Anime was that they might change it to something more typically Anime.
But they didn't. Huraay. Time to eat some bacon in celebration.

:allears: I agree that this is one of the best parts of the series so far; they handled it pretty much flawlessly.

The bit with Hachiken's illicit sexual encounter was loving flawless too.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Aki's dropping the eraser when she heard about Hachiken's and Yoshino's relationship was awesome. Personally, I think Yoshino would have a thing for Hachiken herself if he wasn't so amenable to doing the bidding of others. I get the impression she wants to like him, but is afraid of that part of his nature.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Mo_Steel posted:

:allears: I agree that this is one of the best parts of the series so far; they handled it pretty much flawlessly.

The bit with Hachiken's illicit sexual encounter was loving flawless too.

Which scene is this? The part where Hachiken lifts pork bowl? Because that was awesome.
edit: hah, pork bowl was the eighth pig loaded onto the truck

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 15, 2013

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So, did anyone else find the scene where Hachiken first opened the box of meat ('You're so tiny now') incredibly disturbing, or just me?

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Sakurazuka posted:

So, did anyone else find the scene where Hachiken first opened the box of meat ('You're so tiny now') incredibly disturbing, or just me?

Yeah, I did. All told, not a lot of time elapsed between Hachi talking to Pork Bowl the pig and Pork Bowl the vacuum-sealed meat log so it was a bit jarring.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
I didn't find it disturbing, it seemed like he was somewhat putting on a brave face. He was obviously still greatly affected by the whole thing, processing all the bacon himself and standing watch while it was smoking.

I'm a little confused by the gag with the teacher showing up with the rice cooker, were they all just impressed at how fancy it was or what?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Dude wants to eat some pork REALLY BAD. Hachiken's all verklempt, the emotional weight is high... and dude wants to eat some pork, drat it.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I found it disturbing and I think the scene (and the series) is suppose to make you question what you eat. Animals bred for food are always going to end up as food. Sure you could not eat meat but meat is delicious so what are you going to do?

Officer Sandvich posted:

I'm a little confused by the gag with the teacher showing up with the rice cooker, were they all just impressed at how fancy it was or what?

I think he was in a previous episode holding the rice cooker. I assume he just comes whenever there's food?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Factory Factory posted:

Dude wants to eat some pork REALLY BAD. Hachiken's all verklempt, the emotional weight is high... and dude wants to eat some pork, drat it.
It was true then...

"Girls like you if you have money, guys like you if you have meat"

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Kegslayer posted:

I think he was in a previous episode holding the rice cooker. I assume he just comes whenever there's food?

Remember when there was a huge storm and Hachiken and co had to help with the greenhouse? They had to miss dinner but Rice Cooker man came to save the day. I'm pretty sure there was at least one other instance. So he is the series' running gag. Made me laugh in an otherwise bittersweet episode.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I really liked that episode, it did a pretty good job showing the whole rough dynamic for outsiders to farm life with food animals. They're cute, they're really sweet, but at the same time unless you go vegan over it you kinda have to deal with the fact this cute thing you raised and put all this love and effort into becomes a meal if you did your job well. The voice acting did a great job of taking the comic scenes like the reactions to the slaughter house video and adding the right emotional weight.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Was this the last episode of the season? The ending was different enough to give me that impression though we did get a "To Be Continued" at the very end.

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

Was this the last episode of the season? The ending was different enough to give me that impression though we did get a "To Be Continued" at the very end.

This is as good a place to break off as any. I heard somewhere the show was green-lit for a second season next fall.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I liked the part where Beppu was drinking Bepsi soda.
Also him emphatically refusing to run

Lots of other good parts in this episode, too. Too many to list.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Thunk posted:

This is as good a place to break off as any. I heard somewhere the show was green-lit for a second season next fall.

Actually it's coming back in January, 24 episodes were ordered from the start.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Actually it's coming back in January, 24 episodes were ordered from the start.

But this is only episode 11. Do we know if there's still one next week?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jorenko posted:

But this is only episode 11. Do we know if there's still one next week?

I got the number wrong, it's 22 episodes. No Silver Spoon next week :(

If you don't stay through the end credits each time (how can you not??) make sure you do, they end on one of the best scenes in the manga.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Fist of the North Star goons stealing his bacon gag was so good they used it twice. I still laughed the second time.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012
Smiled at the little cow figurine (author self-portrayal) on Nakajima's desk when they're listening to the baseball game on the radio.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Really great season, I was wondering how well 'farm simulator 2013 the manga' would translate to a much more active format like anime, but they just did it perfectly. Can't wait to see the rest in winter. Have they said anything about the numbers this season got? I hope it's got enough support to stay around.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Really great season, I was wondering how well 'farm simulator 2013 the manga' would translate to a much more active format like anime, but they just did it perfectly. Can't wait to see the rest in winter. Have they said anything about the numbers this season got? I hope it's got enough support to stay around.

Winter? I thought season 2 was coming next fall?

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Winter? I thought season 2 was coming next fall?

Nah, they've got another show during autumn and then this'll be back right after that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The first blu-ray just came out 2 days ago, so we'll know how it's doing on that front next time the blu-ray weekly sales data rolls around.

But even if it doesn't sell well, I suspect they're keeping a bigger eye on how the sales of the manga have been affected.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
The scene with Hachiken and the Principal in this episode is a really good one, and really Hachiken as a character strikes me as very relatable in his struggle to find a goal to shoot towards. I also like the upperclassman expressing that it's fine to not have a big goal too; the insistence on a goal focused life is something Hachiken hasn't critically considered because external elements in his past (society, family, peer pressure) all made it clear that living a goal focused life was the whole point. He sees everyone else with dreams and goals when he first got to the school and never really questioned if it was okay for him to not have a dream; it was an automatic flaw to him that he didn't have a goal or dream.

Also I will never learn my lesson not to watch this show while hungry.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 21, 2013

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Just think of it as hype for the meal you are about to enjoy.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Mo_Steel posted:

The scene with Hachiken and the Principal
Please help me down.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Japanese food is pretty drat fresh and yes this show makes me miss it terribly.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I can confirm: Hachiken Bakes A Pizza is basically the best thing to watch when you're having a bad day.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dan7el posted:

My son Woof'd it last year for 10-weeks. Since it's world-wide, you can even do this in Japan.

I'm WWOOFing as I type (and catch up on SilverSpoon). It's fun, but hard work! http://wwoofusa.org/index.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New ep up! It was clunker than I was hoping for but the new openings and endings are really really good and it's still gorgeous.

• Locked thread