Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Unsane posted:

They are adjustable reamers.

Nice one I am a machinist and didnt know what they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

I needed a vacuum gauge to troubleshoot the egr system on my truck. I could not find a local one for sale and did not want to pay amazon and wait. I have this old diff pressure gauge off an aircraft (bought for $10 at the Pima Air Museum, worth a trip if you are in Tucson) so I fabricated a connector and used some hardware store tubing. Worked pretty well and confirmed what I needed to know.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That's awesome.

New goal for me: aircraft parts on my vehicles. Especially gauges.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have an attitude indicator from an airplane I need to mount in my jeep, actually. Came with it from the PO, a friend of mine.

Also: harbor freight 3/4 drive 20pc set, 16 sockets, 2 extensions, ratchet, breaker bar, for 60 bucks? Don't mind if I do! I spent more than that on the few 3/4 drive tools I already own, now I have the full set. Slow is Fast tipped me off on these...

I normally don't trust HF tools with lots of torque but at the 3/4" level I think my arms will be the limiting factor not the tools. I haven't broken anything 3/4" yet aside from my HF 3/4 to 1/2 adapter, which broke exactly where you would expect it to.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Aircraft gauges are awesome. My things just end up with truck instrumentation in them because gauges etc. from truck wreckers are cheap and easy to fit. Don't have access to plane gauges besides eBay.
Someone I know bought a clock from a Russian tank they'll be mounting in their car.

kastein, if you grab that set can we have a trip report? We might not have harbor freight here but I'm pretty convinced there's a couple of other stores that get the same tools.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I have a self-powered EGT gauge and sender from a truck, it works great except hat is only goes to 1500F.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Any recommendations for gear oil pumps? I've had it with the hand transfer pump. Darn thing only fills halfway and starts sucking air. I just bought on for a 5 gallon pail but I think I'll only buy a 1 gallon jug of GL5.

Alternately if there's a better way to fill differentials I'm all ears.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Look no further than these: http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=barrel+pump

I have the single direction rotary style one, it made filling 3 diffs with 10 gallons of GL5 pretty easy.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

Look no further than these: http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=barrel+pump

I have the single direction rotary style one, it made filling 3 diffs with 10 gallons of GL5 pretty easy.

I like the description "Self-priming, hand crank barrel pump dispenses liquids " no hose though?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I went in expecting to pay $150 for a 2 ton aluminum jack, ended up walking out with this fat bastard for 60 bucks. Combo 2 ton jack/motorcycle lift with a locking bar so it can function as a jackstand. I feel a lot more confident with center lifts now.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Powershift posted:

I went in expecting to pay $150 for a 2 ton aluminum jack, ended up walking out with this fat bastard for 60 bucks. Combo 2 ton jack/motorcycle lift with a locking bar so it can function as a jackstand. I feel a lot more confident with center lifts now.

Got more information on that bad boy?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's called the powerbuilt triple lift. They're $130 everywhere online, but canadian tire has them on clearance for $60.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Heads up: Home Depot has been clearing out their Rigid plumbing tools. I grabbed a 24" Pipe wrench for $17.98 on clearance today.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Powershift posted:

It's called the powerbuilt triple lift. They're $130 everywhere online, but canadian tire has them on clearance for $60.
Great deal if it lives up to appearances, and looks like a really versatile lift. With a 5.5" minimum height, though, it wouldn't fit under my car :(

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

kastein posted:

Also: harbor freight 3/4 drive 20pc set, 16 sockets, 2 extensions, ratchet, breaker bar, for 60 bucks? Don't mind if I do! I spent more than that on the few 3/4 drive tools I already own, now I have the full set. Slow is Fast tipped me off on these...

These are an awesome set. I picked mine up the last time they were about $60. So far they are the only HF hand tools I've never destroyed, despite almost trying. The breaker bar is second to none, and the sockets grip well. I will admit that I am disappointed that this (metric) kit did not have 15mm or 16mm. However, for everything else, it works great. I've replaced 4 NSS and other various tranny related stuff with mine.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Some loving rear end in a top hat in IRC just showed this to me
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4700

now I am trying to decide what I have to sell so I can buy one and ruin everything I own made of metal loving around with it.

edit: JFC! http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4100

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 12, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

B4Ctom1 posted:

Some loving rear end in a top hat in IRC just showed this to me
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4700

now I am trying to decide what I have to sell so I can buy one and ruin everything I own made of metal loving around with it.

edit: JFC! http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4100

Is that first one like a tiny Bridgeport? I wonder if I can get people to chip in to buy one for my hackerspace!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So a customer of mine had a really, really bad day today

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

:stonk: Did it break when it tipped or did it tip because it broke?

I assume the former but the latter is a bit more exciting.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

slidebite posted:

So a customer of mine had a really, really bad day today

Took me a while to figure out what it was. Now I want to know how that happened.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It's a big boy, about 20'

They were moving it to a new location in their shop. They built up some dolleys to put under the feet of it so they could roll it over. Got it on the dolleys, started to move it and that was all she wrote. Center of gravity was just too high and as soon as they moved it, kaplow. Luckily nobody got hurt but when it came down one of the young guys close by pretty much shat himself. I guess it sounded like the rapture was occurring in the shop. Main machinist darn near cried.

In the end, the system as they had planned probably would have worked but they really should have had some topside support. Even if they just followed it with a forklift over it to ensure it remained upright. Just too heavy and narrow to be stable.

Oh well, 20/20 I guess.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

slidebite posted:

It's a big boy, about 20'

They were moving it to a new location in their shop. They built up some dolleys to put under the feet of it so they could roll it over. Got it on the dolleys, started to move it and that was all she wrote. Center of gravity was just too high and as soon as they moved it, kaplow. Luckily nobody got hurt but when it came down one of the young guys close by pretty much shat himself. I guess it sounded like the rapture was occurring in the shop. Main machinist darn near cried.

In the end, the system as they had planned probably would have worked but they really should have had some topside support. Even if they just followed it with a forklift over it to ensure it remained upright. Just too heavy and narrow to be stable.

Oh well, 20/20 I guess.

Curious what brand of lathe it was cause it looks like all the castings were hollow where they shouldn't be hollow on a quality oil field lathe.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Couldn't tell you what brand it is, but not sure what you mean by "oilfield lathe" and why it would be one.

If it was solid, I can't even imagine how heavy it would be.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

slidebite posted:

Couldn't tell you what brand it is, but not sure what you mean by "oilfield lathe" and why it would be one.

If it was solid, I can't even imagine how heavy it would be.
How about you tell those of us who don't work in (whatever industry your customers are in) what it is? "Big boy" didn't exactly bring up anything similar on google, so you're just being snarky at this point.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Snarky? Not sure how anything I said is snarky...?

Only thing I said is I am not sure why it would be assumed its oilfield duty. I have never heard of that myself.

The customer is a general machinist.

"Big boy" was just refering to its size... Its a pretty big lathe is all I meant. Nothing hidden or cryptic.

E: didnt mean to offend anyone.. Guess I needed to be clearer.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 15, 2013

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I didn't get snark out of anything you posted. A lathe is so obviously a lathe to anyone that knows the least bit about machining that I'm not surprised that you didn't explicitly state it. Especially since AI has such a large number of machinists and people with knowledge of machining.
If someone posted a picture of a ratchet snapped in half they probably wouldn't explicitly say that it's a ratchet just because it's such a fundamental tool that it's easy to forget that not everyone has that same knowledge.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
I had no idea what it was until it was pointed out further down.
I think there's considerable enough difference between the universality of a ratchet and a lathe to warrant explanation. Though I didn't detect any snark, sidebite. :shobon:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ahh, I see now :downs:

I literally didn't even consider for a second that anyone here would not know what a lathe was... or at least recognize it once they realized it was something on its side.

I should not have assumed that I suppose. Color me more informed of the variety of posters we have here.

e: Also found out a bit more of how it happened. I guess a guy was trying to move it himself

:catstare:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 15, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

slidebite posted:

Ahh, I see now :downs:

I literally didn't even consider for a second that anyone here would not know what a lathe was... or at least recognize it once they realized it was something on its side.

I should not have assumed that I suppose. Color me more informed of the variety of posters we have here.
When I was at uni, about half of my contemporaries on the mechanical engineering course did not know what a lathe was. I weep for the species.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
They're engineers, not machinist plebes :v:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

InitialDave posted:

When I was at uni, about half of my contemporaries on the mechanical engineering course did not know what a lathe was. I weep for the species.
They're those thin little boards in old timey plaster walls, aren't they? :haw:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

grover posted:

They're those thin little boards in old timey plaster walls, aren't they? :haw:
Wattle you think of next?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I thought it was a lathe at first but then when I couldn't decipher all the bins in a row I decided I was wrong and waited for you to tell us what it was. v:v:v

With the bins and being mounted on a long narrow bar, it sort of looked like it might be casting- or CNC-related. Picture's kinda blurry.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
We have tons of CNC lathes where I work, probably at least one similar to that one, I haven't looked over there in a while.

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006
Anyone have an opinion on the Craftsman 19.2V cordless drills? My local Sears has some on clearance, wondering if they're worth a buy.

camino
Feb 23, 2006
I've had a 19V Craftsman drill, sawzall, circular saw, and jigsaw since 2004. Still on the original batteries, still get acceptable run time, drill has pretty good torque.

I drive a 2" screw no problem, and a 4" screw with a pilot hole. I mainly use it for random automotive stuff, so I can't give you any idea of how many boards it could screw in a row, but it's good.

I paid $150 for 2 batteries, the drill, the sawzall, and the circular saw. I picked up the jig saw later for $35. I'd do it again at those prices.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

InitialDave posted:

My Uni was excellent for this, we spent a morning a week for the first month at a proper technical school over the road learning basic machining, inspection etc. and our entire first year revolved around building an RC car from scratch out of alu/steel etc. The fewer parts we bought the more our final mark was weighted, and we had a nice if small machine shop at Uni to get it all done in. This was in 2009.

Fast forward and at the start of last academic year we moved into our enormous new engineering building to find the manual machine shop has more than halved in size/capacity and a bunch of CNC lathes & mills were going to be installed. People starting the course this year get given a whole front and rear end of the car and have to simply join them up, with all the machining being taken care of by workshop staff programming/running the machines. :sigh:

Plus to fund all of the new machines the Uni compressed 39 staff jobs around the workshops into 25 & made everybody re-apply for their jobs. I know a lot of the most experienced staff were nearing retirement anyway and have called it quits so a ton of knowledge has just been lost too.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I thought I knew what a lathe was but I'm still unclear what all the stuff in those photos is.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
It looked like a lift post to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Bought a mighty vac and used it to bleed my brakes today. Holy poo poo that thing is awesome. A little pricy but it looks very well made and my dad and I split the cost so that made it even better.