Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

If you're having serious issues with those there's no instance of them that you can't cheese from above where they can reach you. Since they're chained to begin with you can just sit on high plinking away at them. The only downside to this stategy is that it's super boring.

Unless you're a Sorcerer! Then it's hilarious. Just hang out above the thing and cast a Maelstrom right under its feet, and that gorecyclops is completely hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

Unless you're a Sorcerer! Then it's hilarious. Just hang out above the thing and cast a Maelstrom right under its feet, and that gorecyclops is completely hosed.

It basically just stunlocks it and if you're in the room with two you can hit both at once. When it hits the eye (ie, almost never) you do like half a health bar per hit. Still pretty boring though (unless one of your pawns falls off the railing because he's stupid and you have to go pick him up). Maelstrom is a cool looking spell but it takes a few to kill them.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Gorecyclops is super-cheesable, but I like to fight them legitimately sometimes. Just do not get hit by that club. You won't get up.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

sitchelin posted:

Gorecyclops is super-cheesable, but I like to fight them legitimately sometimes. Just do not get hit by that club. You won't get up.

Unless you're an Assassin using Masterful Kill. :coal:

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I beat the Gorecyclops at level 53. Of course, I had to use 5 wakestones to do it.

I'm really happy that starting a New Game+ lets you rename/remake your character. I hope that none of you using my pawn got too attached to Bilbo, he's now based on Troy McGreggor from The Final Sacrifice.

On a related tangent, is there any body armor that looks like a jean jacket in the game? This is very important.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Nahxela posted:

Slice up the tentacles whenever they pop out of the ground. When you've cut them all out, it'll regenerate them and start charging up a magic nuke. Interrupt that nuke and you'll find your victory.

Yeah, don't run and hide like I did when he threw that big ball of purple, you'll die :(

Also, I'm getting a bit bored of playing as an assassin (maybe it's the skills? I have hundred kisses, gale harness and invisibility, but maybe I'll change that for the counter one, to make fights more exiting) and tried some levels as a MA. From what I've been reading here, you guys like your magic archers, but I found the earlier levels kinda boring, does it get more fun (as in, more shooting lasers and more special skills apart from bolts)?

Twitch posted:

I'm really happy that starting a New Game+ lets you rename/remake your character. I hope that none of you using my pawn got too attached to Bilbo, he's now based on Troy McGreggor from The Final Sacrifice.
Aw, I liked having a flashing dwarf with a super deep voice telling me about how wolves hunt in packs.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 16, 2013

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
You light yourself on fire and get a holy kamehameha

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MA also has Explosive Rivet (three arrow shot that do fire damage, and explode when melee'd) and Ricochet Hunter (lightning arrow pinball).

Vincent posted:

Yeah, don't run and hide like I did when he threw that big ball of purple, you'll die :(

Also, I'm getting a bit bored of playing as an assassin (maybe it's the skills? I have hundred kisses, gale harness and invisibility, but maybe I'll change that for the counter one, to make fights more exiting) and tried some levels as a MA. From what I've been reading here, you guys like your magic archers, but I found the earlier levels kinda boring, does it get more fun (as in, more shooting lasers and more special skills apart from bolts)?

Aw, I liked having a flashing dwarf with a super deep voice telling me about how wolves hunt in packs.

IMO don't use Gale Harness of Invis. They're good skills but not particularly fun. Here are gifs of the other skills.

Enhanced Response

Escape Onslaught

Snakebite

Intimate Gambit

Powder Blast

Dire Gouge

Clairvoyance

Masterful Kill

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 16, 2013

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

e: quote is not edit

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Alright, you had me at "light yourself on fire". Gonna wait until I get some better magical equipment first. Time to go and take that giant eyeball down then.

Snakebite looks brutal tho.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Genocyber posted:

Masterful Kill

:stare: poo poo, I thought I was gonna be a Magick Archer for lighting myself on fire. Now I'm less sure :(

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

:stare: poo poo, I thought I was gonna be a Magick Archer for lighting myself on fire. Now I'm less sure :(

The best part of that skill is that you can use it on almost any attack.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bakalakadaka posted:

The best part of that skill is that you can use it on almost any attack.

Any physical attack except for grabs. And, because of a glitch(?) so long as nothing moves you after you initiate the stance (i.e. you moving with analog stick, or a ground shaking attack making you reel) you will counter the next physical attack that hits you, even if you're out of the stance.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I thought Masterful Kill only parried attacks from human-sized opponents.

I will need to use it.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Vincent posted:

Alright, you had me at "light yourself on fire". Gonna wait until I get some better magical equipment first. Time to go and take that giant eyeball down then.

Snakebite looks brutal tho.
Magick Archer starts out slow because all you have at the start are Threefold Bolt and Hunter Bolt, but you'll get the more colorful skills as you progress~

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

MA and Assassin both come from Strider, right? At least that means I've got 10(?) levels to think about which I want :shobon:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
It doesn't matter what you start as, actually. You can go wherever you want to go regardless of your starting vocation. It's only the discipline point cost and the level restriction that'll determine what you can choose.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

MA and Assassin both come from Strider, right? At least that means I've got 10(?) levels to think about which I want :shobon:

What nahxela said. And you can change to advanced and hybrid vocations at level 10. You can do so at the Inn in Gran Soren, but if you're not there yet the quickest way is to go to Bitterblack Isle (go to Cassardis docks at night) and talk to the NPC there.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Shima Honnou posted:

I thought Masterful Kill only parried attacks from human-sized opponents.

I will need to use it.

Nope, you can counter friggin' gore cyclopses. It's amazing. That said, part of the reason it's so good is that it's buggy and lasts waaaaay longer than the actual animation (it isn't eternal, but definitely 5+ seconds). Clairvoyance is the same thing for swords and shields, but actually requires good timing.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I just picked this up on a whim at Gamestop, remembering I had meant to play it when it first came out.

Played a few hours last night, but really about to dive in deep today. Anything you guys can tell an absolute newb that would help me out would be appreciated. I am playing as a Strider, thinking of going into Ranger. I read the OP and was astounded by the depth that appears to be available in this game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Defleshed posted:

I just picked this up on a whim at Gamestop, remembering I had meant to play it when it first came out.

Played a few hours last night, but really about to dive in deep today. Anything you guys can tell an absolute newb that would help me out would be appreciated. I am playing as a Strider, thinking of going into Ranger. I read the OP and was astounded by the depth that appears to be available in this game.

Don't use the "Help" and "Come" Pawn commands (the d-pad things). They alter your pawn's inclinations (which you can see on one of the status pages for your pawn) to Guardian. Inclinations affect your pawn's AI, and Guardian generally just makes them stick near you and not do much else.

Ranger is definitely a good vocation to play as; they get good stat growths and a ton of fun bow abilities, with some decent dagger ones. You may want to try playing as different vocations for their Augments; they can be used no matter what your vocation is once you have unlocked them. It's not necessary, though, as there is an exploit later you can abuse to level up vocations pretty fast.

Make sure you're purchasing better weapons and upgrading them. Having high damage output is extremely important on account of how defense works. Basically, if you're not exceeding the enemy's defense value, you do virtually no damage. If you do exceed it, their defense barely reduces the damage you deal at all.

By the same token, once you get to Gran Soren (the big city hub) find a nobleman named Fournival. He sells items called Periapts, which give temporary boosts to your stats. I suggest always keeping around a fair amount of Conqueror's Periapts. They stack up to 4 and make you do ~200% damage with physical stuff, which can help if you're not doing any damage to an enemy.

And as long as you're playing a Bow wielding class, it's also helpful to keep some Blast Arrows around (they can be purchased from a merchant in Gran Soren). They add explosive damage and are good at stunning things, useful for killing tougher enemies.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Got a bit further into BBI and I am comfortable with where I am at right now. My biggest annoyance is that I want to get more Bitterblack cursed items but they have been pretty rare so far and when I do find something, it is usually garbage.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

blackguy32 posted:

Got a bit further into BBI and I am comfortable with where I am at right now. My biggest annoyance is that I want to get more Bitterblack cursed items but they have been pretty rare so far and when I do find something, it is usually garbage.

Before you take down Daimon you usually find lvl 1 and 2 cursed items. After Daimon goes down the chests get a chance to contain lvl 3 stuff plus you can encounter enemies that drop lvl 3 items too such as the higher level drakes, wyrms and wyverns.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

mirarant posted:

Before you take down Daimon you usually find lvl 1 and 2 cursed items. After Daimon goes down the chests get a chance to contain lvl 3 stuff plus you can encounter enemies that drop lvl 3 items too such as the higher level drakes, wyrms and wyverns.

Ill keep going then. BBI got super addicting once I got passed the hurdle of the first gorecyclops you come across. In hindsight, he wasn't even worth killing but I was stubborn and I thought I would get something cool out of it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Genocyber posted:

Dire Gouge

So is super-stabbing large targets something only advanced classes can do? As a basic fighter it seems like all I can do when holding on is flail with square or jump off with triangle. I can't even get my R1 menu to show up when I'm on top of a cyclops, let alone perform any of the moves.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

So is super-stabbing large targets something only advanced classes can do? As a basic fighter it seems like all I can do when holding on is flail with square or jump off with triangle. I can't even get my R1 menu to show up when I'm on top of a cyclops, let alone perform any of the moves.

No, it's just something Fighters, Warriors, Mystic Knights, Mages, and Sorcerers cannot do. It's one reason why both Fighter and Warrior are kinda poo poo (Sorcerer, Mystic Knight, and to a lesser extent Mage, all have abilities that more than make up for that lack).

Dagger based vocations have Scarlet/Hundred/Thousand Kisses, and Assassin specifically has Gouge/Dire Gouge with the sword.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Genocyber posted:

No, it's just something Fighters, Warriors, Mystic Knights, Mages, and Sorcerers cannot do. It's one reason why both Fighter and Warrior are kinda poo poo (Sorcerer, Mystic Knight, and to a lesser extent Mage, all have abilities that more than make up for that lack).

Dagger based vocations have Scarlet/Hundred/Thousand Kisses, and Assassin specifically has Gouge/Dire Gouge with the sword.

Warrior also has an ability that makes up for that lack. It's called Not Giving A gently caress About Weakpoints, Deal Massive Damage Anyways.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Renaissance Robot posted:

In the regular game, pressing square will easily be enough to kill most bosses. Having the other abilities simply means that you will gently caress them up even faster, which is in less than 5 seconds.

Also, I must be doing something wrong, because blast arrows don't seem that powerful when I use them. I guess I will try it out on Daimon when I get to him.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

blackguy32 posted:

Also, I must be doing something wrong, because blast arrows don't seem that powerful when I use them. I guess I will try it out on Daimon when I get to him.

Chug four conqueror's periapts, equip blast arrow, use whatever multi-shot rapid fire skill you have, watch target die.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Yeah unfortunately fighters and mages have it worst when it comes to fun abilities. All other classes have some sort of gimmick that spices up the gameplay.

Fighters get Sinew at rank 5 which is their most useful ability and as a mage you can try keep a bunch of idiots alive. Just don't play a fighter unless you are completely enamored with the idea of being a plateclad sword and board wielder.

mirarant fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 16, 2013

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

mirarant posted:

Yeah unfortunately fighters and mages have it worst when it comes to fun abilities. All other classes have some sort of gimmick that spices up the gameplay.

Fighters get Sinew at rank 3(?) which is their most useful ability and as a mage you can try keep a bunch of idiots alive. Just don't play a fighter unless you are completely enamored with the idea of being a plateclad sword and board wielder.

Even then, Assassins get the ability to wield swords and shields so there is almost no reason at all to play as a fighter once you unlock Assassin.

Hotwire posted:

use whatever multi-shot rapid fire skill you have, watch target die.

This is the step I was missing. Thanks.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I know the game compensates for vocation changes by adjusting stat growth until you're caught up after a change, but is there a point where you can irrevocably gently caress yourself out of using a particular vocation?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

Warrior also has an ability that makes up for that lack. It's called Not Giving A gently caress About Weakpoints, Deal Massive Damage Anyways.

I assume you mean Dragon's Maw? It's good, but you still need to make the enemy vulnerable for it to be effective, and I'd say at most it's equal to Dire Gouge.

blackguy32 posted:

Even then, Assassins get the ability to wield swords and shields so there is almost no reason at all to play as a fighter once you unlock Assassin.

They do have some good unique abilities like Dragon's Maw, but then Assassins have Flight Response, Clairvoyance, Gouge, Intimate Gambit, and that's just their uniques for sword and shield.

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

Warriors have the best thing of all: ~style~. I play an assassin myself but I'm strangely compelled to always grab a warrior when I'm picking pawns because they just look so cool in action. :swoon:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Warriors also have Arc of Deliverance, which is like slamming the middle finger of God into whatever is like a foot in front of you.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cloche posted:

Warriors have the best thing of all: ~style~. I play an assassin myself but I'm strangely compelled to always grab a warrior when I'm picking pawns because they just look so cool in action. :swoon:

Warriors are like Sorcerers; the stuff they do looks awesome, but is not the most fun to actually do, at least for long periods of time.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

After playing through BBI for a while, I get the feeling that when I actually leave and go back to Gransys, every thing is going to pretty much melt before me. I am partially tempted to run and finish the story so I can dragonforge some of my current equipment.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I wish I had played more Warrior during 1-100. I'm lvl 140 and my HP barely breaks past 3000.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Genocyber posted:

Don't use the "Help" and "Come" Pawn commands (the d-pad things). They alter your pawn's inclinations (which you can see on one of the status pages for your pawn) to Guardian. Inclinations affect your pawn's AI, and Guardian generally just makes them stick near you and not do much else.

Ranger is definitely a good vocation to play as; they get good stat growths and a ton of fun bow abilities, with some decent dagger ones. You may want to try playing as different vocations for their Augments; they can be used no matter what your vocation is once you have unlocked them. It's not necessary, though, as there is an exploit later you can abuse to level up vocations pretty fast.

Make sure you're purchasing better weapons and upgrading them. Having high damage output is extremely important on account of how defense works. Basically, if you're not exceeding the enemy's defense value, you do virtually no damage. If you do exceed it, their defense barely reduces the damage you deal at all.

By the same token, once you get to Gran Soren (the big city hub) find a nobleman named Fournival. He sells items called Periapts, which give temporary boosts to your stats. I suggest always keeping around a fair amount of Conqueror's Periapts. They stack up to 4 and make you do ~200% damage with physical stuff, which can help if you're not doing any damage to an enemy.

And as long as you're playing a Bow wielding class, it's also helpful to keep some Blast Arrows around (they can be purchased from a merchant in Gran Soren). They add explosive damage and are good at stunning things, useful for killing tougher enemies.

Thanks for taking the time to write this. I'll keep the periapts thing in mind but in other games like this I almost never use consumable buffs. It often results in some head-against-brick-wall action, but it's just the way I roll. Are they and absolute necessity in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Defleshed posted:

Thanks for taking the time to write this. I'll keep the periapts thing in mind but in other games like this I almost never use consumable buffs. It often results in some head-against-brick-wall action, but it's just the way I roll. Are they and absolute necessity in this game?

Not a necessity at all, just useful to know about.

• Locked thread