Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Oh man Endo, that must have been his injury talking. He had that guy dead to rights there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
I didn't need to see a replay of that Kotoyuuki knee injury :smith:

But the sumo was pretty good today! :unsmith:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq3XQcLgyvM

E: Kind of a meh day overall.

anakha fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 16, 2013

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Chiyotairyu looked mad as hell during his fight with Endoh. I'm gonna interpret that as him being frustrated because he's not the Great Japanese Hope anymore.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Kikkoman posted:

Chiyotairyu looked mad as hell during his fight with Endoh. I'm gonna interpret that as him being frustrated because he's not the Great Japanese Hope anymore.

The passing of the torch top-knot

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Does Endou even have one? I can't see it in the video.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Couldn't wait for Kintamayama to finish his video, so I caught the bouts over on araibira's channel.

Kisenosato-Goeido did not disappoint.

Having a record only behind the yokozunae after 8 days? Very impressive basho for Aoiyama so far.

Bit of a scare for Endo there, with his opponent falling on his foot.

E: Just wanted to share the first match I ever saw that got me interested in all this. loving epic.

anakha fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 18, 2013

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Toyonoshima showed a lot of heart there

Love watching Kisenosato lose

Crossing my fingers for both Yokozuna to be 14-0 on the final day

I loving love Shohozan's tachai or whatever the beginning of each match is called. Win or loss, rocket punches to your face all day

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

anakha posted:

Just wanted to share the first match I ever saw that got be interested in all this. loving epic.

What are the auience throwing around at the end of that match?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Swan Curry posted:

What are the auience throwing around at the end of that match?

Seat covers, people throw them into the ring when a lower-ranked wrestler beats a yokozuna (I assume that's what happened, I can't read Japanese.)

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Anime Reference posted:

Seat covers, people throw them into the ring when a lower-ranked wrestler beats a yokozuna (I assume that's what happened, I can't read Japanese.)

Yup, from the notes

"- Kyushu 1994:
-- Day 15: Akebono Y1eHD - Takanohana O1e"

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Ok,thanks.I've never seen Sumo before but I've been watching this tournament through the Youtube links in the thread and I'm loving it.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I think these days an announcement immediately starts to not throw the zabuton but people do it anyway. I mean come on.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEhoGVD7Af8.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

Uncle Jam posted:

I think these days an announcement immediately starts to not throw the zabuton but people do it anyway. I mean come on.

The best was back 3-4? tournaments ago when Hakuho lost like 3 times in 5 days and purple cusions were everywhere, all the time.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Is the sumo reference website down for anybody else?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Diplomat posted:

Is the sumo reference website down for anybody else?

Yeah, that site is also the site where some people do a fantasy sumo game of sorts, and people are bitching about it being down on the sumoforums. Didn't read back far enough to see if they had a timeframe for it to be back up.

If you're looking for a playlist, the next best thing to do is go to Araibira's channel and start watching them in order. Works well both in the app and on the webiste.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umdhMC6ks6c

Retaliatory henka by Yoshikaze against Tamawashi :lol:

Very sloppy performance by Goeido.

Courageous effort by Homasho against Hakuho.

anakha fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 18, 2013

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Day 10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2KHEPI_G_8

Link to the Goeido vs Takekaze match which is missing from Kintamayama's video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4CnST2ueoI

Diplomat fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 19, 2013

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
so goeido basically has to win out to make ozeki. i don't like his chances.

nice basho chiyotairyu is having, detached retina and all.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Araibira just posted on facebook that Masunoyama has withdrawn from the basho today :( He started off so strong too

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

This basho sucks. Minor redemption if we have an exciting match of two 14-0 yokozunae on the final day, or if Goeido doesn't lose another match. I have a feeling Kisenosato will spoil our chance for the first, and Goeido himself at this rate will spoil the second.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
I just want Osunaarashi to get his KK. Then this will have been a good basho. It'll be an awesome basho if 14-0 Harumafuji beats 14-0 Hakuho.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

TotallyGreen posted:

I just want Osunaarashi to get his KK. Then this will have been a good basho. It'll be an awesome basho if 14-0 Harumafuji beats 14-0 Hakuho.

Agreed on both fronts.

Omnikin posted:

Araibira just posted on facebook that Masunoyama has withdrawn from the basho today :( He started off so strong too

That's disappointing :( if he got his heart fixed I feel like the sky would be the limit for the guy, he loses much more frequently by being outlasted than by being outright beaten

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Chiyotairyu performing so well is one of the few good things about this basho.

Day 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o87Buoihdg.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Hakuho and Harumafuji have both thoroughly mastered the bitchslap.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kisenosato-Aoiyama was a pretty engaging brawl.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
It's nice to see Harumafuji with the fire under his rear end again

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 12: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5SQk_-mJXU.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Great showing by Aoiyama to take out Kakuryuu. He is having a good basho.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Diplomat posted:

Great showing by Aoiyama to take out Kakuryuu. He is having a good basho.

Yeah, besides the weird loss to Kitataiki he's only dropped matches against Harumafuji, Kisenosato (which was a spirited loss), and Ikioi (who he's historically had trouble with). I'd like to see him get to 10 wins

Tomorrow
Hakuho v Kakuryu (21 - 2 head to head)
Harumafuji v Kisenosato (27 - 19)

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

It's nice to see Harumafuji with a fire under his rear end again

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I wonder how much McCartney had to splash for those banners, I'm sure its nothing for him but still.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Seats that close to the ring also cost several hundred dollars, even on the quiet days. Sumo pricing is ridiculous.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 13: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyQcpXqbjF4.

Goddamn.

euthy
Sep 26, 2007

May you and your family live without suffering, but for the rest... Thanks for not breeding VHEMT
Grimey Drawer
I just wanted to say how much I enjoy the two wily veterans Aminishiki and Kitataiki. They know every trick in the book, have massive experience and the receding hairlines to prove it.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Thanks for ruining the basho, Kisenosato, you yokozuna wannabe motherfucker.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Dr.Radical posted:

Thanks for ruining the basho, Kisenosato, you yokozuna wannabe motherfucker.

I was thinking the same thing, unless he can repeat the feat tomorrow.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

I was thinking the same thing, unless he can repeat the feat tomorrow.

I agree 1000% - I am seriously considering staying up late tonight to watch the stream for the full drama. I haven't done that for 2 or 3 basho now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Fryhtaning posted:

I agree 1000% - I am seriously considering staying up late tonight to watch the stream for the full drama. I haven't done that for 2 or 3 basho now.

Is there a stream? Whenever I work overnight during the basho (like tonight) I usually just refresh Araibira's video page and watch every new one he puts up, but it would be cool to see all the fanfare that goes with it!