Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

OSU_Matthew posted:

For some inexplicable reason, I really want an eighties touring bike. I was originally set on restoring my dad's old GL1100, but he needs to dig it up out of the barn first, so that's not happening anytime soon.

I'm a bit leery on this 83 Yamaha Venture, but for 600$ it's definitely tempting:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/4138209973.html

The good: Cosmetically looks alright, cheap. He wants to sell the bike to get an RV.

The bad: Engine doesn't idle well, which to me says carb cleaning/rebuilding. I spoke with the owner to clarify the second gear issue, and apparently the bike doesn't want to shift into second/grinds when it does, which to me says clutch adjustment or new plates. Is this a bigger warning sign? Also needs a new battery, the old one won't hold a charge, but should start the bike when charged.

The ugly: It's an 80's bike that has been up on craigslist for over a month at a cheap price. I can't help but feel I'm about to get in way over my head...

80s touring bikes are the poo poo. My 1980 GL1100 gets more attention than any other bike I have, it's easy to maintain, and it's drat fun, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

This, on the other hand, is not awesome: http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4185186676.html
Just needs a few repairs.
Bent forks, bent frame, fairings gone, clutch cover cracked open, rear brake caliper dangling by its hose. Minor repairs indeed. What did he do, ride off a cliff?

e: Looks like the crank housing is cracked too. That has to have been one hell of a crash.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 13, 2013

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Is a 1992 Goldwing for $2,800 a good deal?

To be clear I'm not interested in a 100hp couch at the moment, but don't some of you guys like these heavy bastards?

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
Goldwings have rock solid engines. My dealer had one in stock this summer that's been traded into his dealership over and over 4 times, and has over 300K miles on it!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Stitecin posted:

To be clear I'm not interested in a 100hp couch at the moment, but don't some of you guys like these heavy bastards?

That's not a bad deal at all if it's in good shape, IMO. I think this model year had a problematic stator, so I'd advise the prospective buyer to bring a multimeter.

The great thing about Goldwings is how low the weight feels. Sure, it feels like a brick a low speeds, but it gets drat near scooter-like at 30 and above, center of gravity wise. They're unbelievably cheap to ensure, great in bad weather, and reliable as nearly any bike. They're a spergin' CAers dream.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Edit: Put in Ninja thread and Wrecked/Rusted thread.

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 14, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Stitecin posted:

Yes, that's a good deal. I'd buy that in a heartbeat if it was within a few hours of me.

If nothing else, clean it up and sit on it until spring and flip it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
This look like pretty good deal on a KLR 650 and I'm planning on heading up there this weekend to check out the bike.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/4097151940.html

Anything I should check out specifically that would be caused by a right side crash, or would the damage be pretty much limited to the fairings?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/mcy/4158185909.html

I'm kind of in love with this bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That thing would be realyl cool if he had the OEM fairings and they're intact. Although I have no idea what mechanical reliability is like on a laverda.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/4193998065.html

First question, is this a terrible idea for a first bike? If no, will it be ok with a 30 mile highway commute? And is it overpriced?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That 690cc KTM supermoto is not a very good first bike, no. Large amounts of power way down low in a frame made for wheelies. It's a better idea than a literbike, but if you're interested in a supermoto look at the DRZ400 instead. Good second bike I'd say.

Supermotos are not meant for highway cruising. They will do it if needed, but if that's going to be your primary use you should be looking at things with wider seats and more wind protection.

For a beginner's bike I like to say <400 pounds and <40 horsepower, and at least a couple of years old with some dings so that you don't feel as terrible when you inevitably drop it and crack the plastics.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 16, 2013

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ok thanks, I wasn't sure about how it makes power. I'll keep looking for SVs and ninjas.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah I wouldn't recommend it and it's overpriced.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
This is tempting but I don't know anyone with a truck to get it home :ohdear:
http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/4193419908.html

e: I'm also too inexperienced to ride it home across the clusterfuck that is Houston.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 18, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Marxalot posted:

This is tempting but I don't know anyone with a truck to get it home :ohdear:
http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/4193419908.html

e: I'm also too inexperienced to ride it home across the clusterfuck that is Houston.

You can go lower. That rear tire is hosed and he definitely took off his exhaust and sold it separately FWIW.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Baller Witness Bro posted:

You can go lower. That rear tire is hosed and he definitely took off his exhaust and sold it separately FWIW.

Agreed, it looks like he burned off a pretty significant chunk of it doing a ~sick burnout~ at one point. Also his rear lights seem almost nonexistant.

The only big deal (unless he abused the bike in other ways) is having to show up on the other side of Houston with a lovely u-haul or something.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 18, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Marxalot posted:

Agreed, it looks like he burned off a pretty significant chunk of it doing a ~sick burnout~ at one point. Also his rear lights seem almost nonexistant.

The only big deal (unless he abused the bike in other ways) is having to show up on the other side of Houston with a lovely u-haul or something.

I forgot to post this but if you register on MotoHouston.com there are a TON of dudes that do track days and poo poo that would probably help you out if you toss them some beer money or something. Just post up that you need help picking up a bike and offer up a little cash. I'm sure someone will jump in and offer to help. This has the added bonus of letting you meet some people from Houston that ride. Alternatively you should ask the seller if they're flexible on where they'll meet / deliver the bike. I'm not sure where you live but if you're saying across Houston I assume you live closer to Baytown or something. I wouldn't recommend the DRZ on the highway right off the bat. It'll cruise but it'll be high up there and you probably don't wanna do that before you're even comfortable on the bike.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

That's bullshit selling the exhuast, but at least it's got the fcr.

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER
So since I passed my MSF last weekend i'm looking for a dualsport in los angeles area. I've been talking to this guy:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/mcy/4193702300.html

Who has had this listed for a while. He said there was only one other guy who was interested in it but bailed on it later on. It makes sense since he's all the way up in Lancaster. I asked if there was anything else wrong with it and he said registration ran out in March, there is a small oil leak, and the bars are "a bit tweaked on the left". Should i take a shot or keep looking? Also, how about the honda 600s? I'm seeing a lot of plated ones around.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Marxalot posted:

Houston goon / MotoHouston guy here. I can help you pick up and ride it to you if you wish. Just bring me home in your four-wheeled vehicle. I live in Sugar Land. I also have access to a truck, but that would be my last resort if the bike runs.

Sent you a PM.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

for sale posted:

So since I passed my MSF last weekend i'm looking for a dualsport in los angeles area. I've been talking to this guy:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/mcy/4193702300.html

Who has had this listed for a while. He said there was only one other guy who was interested in it but bailed on it later on. It makes sense since he's all the way up in Lancaster. I asked if there was anything else wrong with it and he said registration ran out in March, there is a small oil leak, and the bars are "a bit tweaked on the left". Should i take a shot or keep looking? Also, how about the honda 600s? I'm seeing a lot of plated ones around.

My first bike had slightly tweaked bars and it's been an unbelievable nightmare. It had a bent fork tube which somehow made it drive almost straight, after I fixed that it was like 10 degrees of straight. I'm not sure if it's the frame or the triple tree, but I'm buying a second bike in the mean time until I can figure out what to do with it because of the clusterfuck it's become.

For me, bent bars = run far away.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

A klr with tweaked handlebar is fine.

axia
Nov 15, 2005

The future is now.
Looking at buying a sneaky christmas present for my wife - yes she already rides, but has a TW200. Don't know anything about this bike, other than I like the way it looks (except for the awful headlights) anyone have any input?

(1982 Yamaha Seca 750)
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4187801306.html

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

I forgot to post this but if you register on MotoHouston.com there are a TON of dudes that do track days and poo poo that would probably help you out if you toss them some beer money or something. Just post up that you need help picking up a bike and offer up a little cash. I'm sure someone will jump in and offer to help. This has the added bonus of letting you meet some people from Houston that ride. Alternatively you should ask the seller if they're flexible on where they'll meet / deliver the bike. I'm not sure where you live but if you're saying across Houston I assume you live closer to Baytown or something. I wouldn't recommend the DRZ on the highway right off the bat. It'll cruise but it'll be high up there and you probably don't wanna do that before you're even comfortable on the bike.

Yeah, Baytown. I can ride in a parkinglot just fine, but I'd rather not make a 59 -> I-10 trip home on a machine I'm unfamiliar with.
And I already have a motohouston account because the people I took my MSF with offered a discount for members :v:

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Houston goon / MotoHouston guy here. I can help you pick up and ride it to you if you wish. Just bring me home in your four-wheeled vehicle. I live in Sugar Land. I also have access to a truck, but that would be my last resort if the bike runs.

Sent you a PM.
Cool, thanks. I might take you up on that/shower you in beer money if I can't borrow a truck/the seller won't just drop it off in Baytown for some extra cash.

On a related note, I talked to my auto insurance people about insuring a potential future DRZ. I told my agent I'll very likely be buying used, but gently caress it lets go hog wild and see what a new bike would cost to insure and we'll just negotiate from there when I get an actual thing.
$2750/yr full coverage :smithicide: (similar coverage on my car costs something like $80/month)

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

You need to leave that insurance ASAP. Progressive will give you liability on a DRZ for like 80 bucks a year. Full coverage would probably be ~60-70 a month IIRC as long as you don't go wild with limits. I've never received a cheap enough quote from a live person I always get cheaper rates buying direct from the company.

Also, check out Dairyland insurance. I've been meaning to switch them as they're dirt cheap - even cheaper than progressive at the same or better limits.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

You need to leave that insurance ASAP. Progressive will give you liability on a DRZ for like 80 bucks a year. Full coverage would probably be ~60-70 a month IIRC as long as you don't go wild with limits. I've never received a cheap enough quote from a live person I always get cheaper rates buying direct from the company.

Also, check out Dairyland insurance. I've been meaning to switch them as they're dirt cheap - even cheaper than progressive at the same or better limits.

Yeah, I have no clue how the hell they came to that amount. I'm thinking that the woman I talked to for a ballpark quote either typo'd something or had absolutely no idea what a DRZ is, but I'm planning to have a conversation with my insurance agent about it tomorrow. Also possibly other insurance companies.

(I really only want liability, theft, and uninsured motorist anyways)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Maybe she thought you said BRZ. :v:

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

axia posted:

Looking at buying a sneaky christmas present for my wife - yes she already rides, but has a TW200. Don't know anything about this bike, other than I like the way it looks (except for the awful headlights) anyone have any input?

(1982 Yamaha Seca 750)
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4187801306.html

I've got an '81 that I've had for 3 years. It was my first bike, and it's had no major problems. Shaft drive is easy, and it's been fun to wrench on. You can get parts and advice from http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums.html

I've heard that switching to 4-into-1 exhaust can be problematic, and same with pods. I'd be cautious about how well that bike actually runs. Also 1000-1200 is going to be on the high end for a Seca, at least in my area. The pictures look very clean, though.

EDIT: I like mine, if they actually got it running well with that exhaust and pods I'd be tempted to buy that.

Dutymode fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 21, 2013

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Sagebrush posted:

That 690cc KTM supermoto is not a very good first bike, no. Large amounts of power way down low in a frame made for wheelies. It's a better idea than a literbike, but if you're interested in a supermoto look at the DRZ400 instead. Good second bike I'd say.

Supermotos are not meant for highway cruising. They will do it if needed, but if that's going to be your primary use you should be looking at things with wider seats and more wind protection.

For a beginner's bike I like to say <400 pounds and <40 horsepower, and at least a couple of years old with some dings so that you don't feel as terrible when you inevitably drop it and crack the plastics.

Uhh, so that's a 625 SMC. It's in the low 300 lbs, the seating position is comfortable, and if it hasn't been 'uncorked' it apparently makes 25-30 hp. Uncorked I'm told it makes 50 hp. Riding wise I don't think it's a bad first bike at all. I feel more confident doing slow maneuvers on this than I ever did on a family member's Ninja 250 that I road around on after I got my license. That being said, the gas tank is small and riding on the freeway is ridiculously boring.

This is my first bike. I paid less than what this guy is asking, but it's been a huge pain in the rear end maintenance wise, and I probably put $1k in on maintenance, parts, and tires after buying mine. I don't think I would have bought this same bike had I known then what I know now. For example, the LC4's method of lubricating the cam and rollers is by sprinkling it with oil picked up by the timing chain-- as a result,replacing the followers appears to be a fairly common job. The autodecomp going out also seems to be common, fortunately you can use the manual decomp when starting the bike. Otherwise, a new cam is a $200 part. It'll also rattle itself to death so you have to be vigilant with the loctite.

So, in other words, KTM is really loving quirky and if I had the choice again, I would've saved my money and looked for a 690 SMC, or a DRZ400sm.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 22, 2013

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kooringal/motorcycles/postie-bike-/1032455996

Someone talk me out of buying this CT110 for $600. It's three hours drive away and looks like it's pissing oil all over the floor but apparently it runs and it's half the price a bike in similar condition sells for in the winter. I want it.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

That 690cc KTM supermoto is not a very good first bike, no.

MetaJew posted:

Uhh, so that's a 625 SMC.

Furthermore, the 690 motors can be artificially "recorked" with the soft/comfort throttle mapping, accessed by a switch under the seat, which softens the throttle curve and limits the max throttle opening. When I first got mine I had only hosed around on a DT175 when I lived in Uganda, I rode the first few months on the soft setting, then standard, and by the end of summer I set it to "advanced" and never looked back except that one time it snowed.

There are definitely better beginner bikes, I'd suggest the DRZ personally, but It's not a terrible first bike if you have some respect for it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

This bike was obviously crashed, would it be worth to fix everything assuming there is no frame/fork damage?

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/4196831475.html

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ephphatha posted:

Someone talk me out of buying this CT110 for $600.
Buy it and ship it to Europe for me. :v: I want a postie but they're impossible to find here.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Cleveland Craigslist.
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/4173751967.html

Butt Swartzky
May 20, 2001

Russian Bear posted:

This bike was obviously crashed, would it be worth to fix everything assuming there is no frame/fork damage?

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/4196831475.html

Maybe keep looking...

Try and find other GS500Fs without all that poo poo. I found my '06 on Craigslist for $1600, and it had only been ridden 3400 miles. I can't imagine a better first bike...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I know nothing about these bikes, but I think I should.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...QAdIdZ545812615

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Holy poo poo I want that bike so I can feel justified riding around in a Batman costume all year round! :haw:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

petercodeine posted:

Maybe keep looking...

Try and find other GS500Fs without all that poo poo. I found my '06 on Craigslist for $1600, and it had only been ridden 3400 miles. I can't imagine a better first bike...

I am trying to get the guy to send me a couple pictures of the damage on the tail section and he must have texted me instead of someone else saying he won't take 500 but listed at 1k so maybe worth to offer 800 or so? I suspect someone already nabbed it though.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/4194731829.html

Here is another one, are the mods dumb? Heated grips are nice..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001

slidebite posted:

I know nothing about these bikes, but I think I should.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...QAdIdZ545812615

Always wanted one of these bikes. Also I'm not sure what the hell he's talking about because you can't import them from the US, since they're not sold here. The only K1300R's in the US are imported from Canada.