Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I think my favorite survey so far was about Butterfinger. The 2nd to last question pretty much asked me if I was willing to get in to a fight to defend the name of Butterfinger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Has anyone with a Nexus 5 and using lightflow had some intermittent issues where a notfication doesn't clear properly, but lightflow thinks it has? I would see a light keep blinking, and the debug widget either claimed no notifications were present, or it would have one, I'd hit the clear button, and the widget would show all clear while the LED keeps blinking away, only to be reset by a reboot. I also haven't quite figured out how to make certain ones clear properly, but I expect that's related to how hangouts doesn't seem to properly clear notifications when you read a new message without doing it from the notification bar.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Lowen SoDium posted:

I think my favorite survey so far was about Butterfinger. The 2nd to last question pretty much asked me if I was willing to get in to a fight to defend the name of Butterfinger.

I think I know what the next OS version will be named...

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I think I know what the next OS version will be named...

I don't think that's how the alphabet works.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't think that's how the alphabet works.

You just rocked my world

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

caveman thug poo poo posted:

You just rocked my world

Hahaha it took til Ice Cream Sandwich for me to realize what was going on.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I installed the Google Experience Launcher on my GNex. It works well, but I have less home screen pages (only four), and all of my icons are physically larger. Are they supposed to be this big? Or is this a side effect of the sideloaded launcher apk not really being for my device?

http://phandroid.com/2013/11/14/how-to-install-google-experience-launcher-with-ok-google-command/

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I installed the Google Experience Launcher on my GNex. It works well, but I have less home screen pages (only four), and all of my icons are physically larger. Are they supposed to be this big? Or is this a side effect of the sideloaded launcher apk not really being for my device?

http://phandroid.com/2013/11/14/how-to-install-google-experience-launcher-with-ok-google-command/
That's the way it is. Pages are dynamic and you get much larger icons whether you like them or not.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

LastInLine posted:

That's the way it is. Pages are dynamic and you get much larger icons whether you like them or not.

I see the dynamic pages, but these icons are hideous. I guess they're trying to appeal to my father? - old people who refuse to wear their reading glasses.

Should we expect app devs to put out higher resolution icons in new updates so they don't look all blown up? I don't know how it works. But it makes me not want to have shortcuts on my home pages.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I see the dynamic pages, but these icons are hideous. I guess they're trying to appeal to my father? - old people who refuse to wear their reading glasses.

Should we expect app devs to put out higher resolution icons in new updates so they don't look all blown up? I don't know how it works. But it makes me not want to have shortcuts on my home pages.
I've never put shortcuts on my home pages so I really can't say I relate.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

FogHelmut posted:

Yes, the SDK for 4.4 has mention of new high res icon assets so devs should be updating.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
No mention of the updated Google app? Seems faster, has pull-to-refresh, and buttons on the bottom for reminders and Google Now settings. I love the reminders, I've been using them for 2 months.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I bought SwiftKey Tablet back in August and I just realized I never got an update when they merged the two versions earlier this month. Looking at the Play store the only version I see is the 3.99 with no way to update for free. Am I missing something or did they just give the middle finger to the paying tablet users?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I bought SwiftKey Tablet back in August and I just realized I never got an update when they merged the two versions earlier this month. Looking at the Play store the only version I see is the 3.99 with no way to update for free. Am I missing something or did they just give the middle finger to the paying tablet users?
SwitftKey gives the finger to its paying customers about once a year. Really they should just make it a subscription app at this point.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
I've been looking at apps that require root access, it's been kind of frustrating though. A lot of good link compilations are woefully out of date.

I found AdAway on the XDA website, but apparently I need a file manager to install it, and I'm not sure which one to get. I also want one of those nice battery apps for my Nexus 5, but the Juice Defender app in the root thread hasn't been updated since January 2012 which worries me.

Aside from that, I'd also like a recommendation for an app that'll let me keep up with multiple IM services.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

http://support.swiftkey.net/knowledgebase/articles/278437-will-my-swiftkey-tablet-be-upgraded-

LastInLine posted:

SwitftKey gives the finger to its paying customers about once a year. Really they should just make it a subscription app at this point.

What? The only time Swiftkey has charged for an update was when they went from Swiftkey to Swiftkey X back in 2011.

e: fixed link

Geektox fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 16, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Benjamin Black posted:

I found AdAway on the XDA website, but apparently I need a file manager to install it, and I'm not sure which one to get. I also want one of those nice battery apps for my Nexus 5, but the Juice Defender app in the root thread hasn't been updated since January 2012 which worries me.

You can get AdAway by downloading F-Droid, which is a 3rd-party app store. As for battery apps, the only thing you need is Better Battery Stats, which you can either pay for on the Play Store or download from the author's XDA thread. There's no reason to get an app that turns radios on and off or restricts syncing anymore; if you have a battery drain problem, it's better to track down which app is causing it than to prevent many apps from doing their normal business.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Geektox posted:

What? The only time Swiftkey has charged for an update was when they went from Swiftkey to Swiftkey X back in 2011.
Huh, I thought it happened every time. Shows what I know,

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

hooah posted:

You can get AdAway by downloading F-Droid, which is a 3rd-party app store. As for battery apps, the only thing you need is Better Battery Stats, which you can either pay for on the Play Store or download from the author's XDA thread. There's no reason to get an app that turns radios on and off or restricts syncing anymore; if you have a battery drain problem, it's better to track down which app is causing it than to prevent many apps from doing their normal business.

Well, that still leaves me with needing a good file manager. Recommendation?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Benjamin Black posted:

Well, that still leaves me with needing a good file manager. Recommendation?

I like EStrong's. There's several out there, though; I think the other popular recommendation is Solid ...browser? explorer?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Solid Explorer and it's my go-to file manager. I love the dual pane setup, though the app doesn't really confirm to Android UI guidelines. Never bothered me much though.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
ES suits my needs. I like Free. Got F-Droid installed and AwAway installed. Seems to work great!

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Medullah posted:

Hahaha it took til Ice Cream Sandwich for me to realize what was going on.

I can't wait for Android 31.5 Zebra Cake

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

I can't wait for Android 31.5 Zebra Cake

Zebra Cake will just be 4.9.9.9.9.9.9.9

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Perfect, thanks

ES File Explorer is the first app I install. It does local, network, cloud, FTP, etc.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm looking for something that would mimic the iOS Do Not Disturb feature where only my contacts I choose can ring my phone during time frames of my choosing. I see a few on the play store but not sure if any are worth it or would it be better to root?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm looking for something that would mimic the iOS Do Not Disturb feature where only my contacts I choose can ring my phone during time frames of my choosing. I see a few on the play store but not sure if any are worth it or would it be better to root?
Llama can do this, and I'm sure tasker can too. Not sure if they require root though.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Perfect, thanks

ES File Explorer is the first app I install. It does local, network, cloud, FTP, etc.

Same here since early 2011.

I like the newer versions have something built in that you can now play videos from smb shares.

I setup an ssh forwarding to smb shares so I can watch movies away from home too with no need for a dedicated streaming server any more. (used to use subsonic but it's becoming abandonware.)

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
What's the best AIM compatible IM client for Android? (Don't say AIM.)

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Trillian is pretty great.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Zebra Cake will just be 4.9.9.9.9.9.9.9

I don't want to live in a world where Android 4.9.9.9.9.9.9.9 isn't Zinger.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
It'll be Candy Cigarette.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

highme posted:

I don't want to live in a world where Android 4.9.9.9.9.9.9.9 isn't Zinger.

Dude if you're talking about the pink things with coconut gently caress YOU

gently caress.. man... WOO

gently caress YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
What seems to be the consensus Microsoft Office replacement app for android tablet?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The west coast had zingers in three different flavors than those gross things.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dude if you're talking about the pink things with coconut gently caress YOU

gently caress.. man... WOO

gently caress YOU
I feel it is strongly Android-related to say that raspberry Zingers are the best Zingers. Chocolate and whatever the yellow ones are are good but raspberry is the best.

I can't tell if that means I'm agreeing or disagreeing with caveman thug poo poo but I think it's proof enough that they're the best that the raspberry Zinger can elicit the emotion it clearly does within him.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

If you think the 26th point release of Android will be named anything but Zagnut, you are suffering from candied delusions.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Goddamn SwiftKey keeps forgetting my personal dictionary. There seem to be a couple of people having this problem. Deleting data fixes it, for a couple of days anyway. Annoying as gently caress though.

In case I wanna switch to the stock google keyboard, does it save the personal dictionary somewhere on Google servers or is it stored locally on the device only?

bronin fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 17, 2013

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Does anyone know where Llama backups reside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any way to have Chrome always request the desktop version of only specific sites? I found a thing on XDA that would always force the desktop version, but it's across the board, which isn't what I want.

• Locked thread