Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

How long does it take for current gen iPads to hit the refurbished store? I'd live an iPad Mini but can't quite justify the $300 price tag.
3-4 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
I'm damned impressed with how fast/efficient Apple ships stuff.

I ordered my Retina Mini at 3AM (EST) Tuesday, and my iPad made it from China to Ohio today by Noon. I've been playing with it all day and I love it.

One question - Shouldn't my iMessages sync across devices...or will NEW iMessages just come to both my iPad and my iPhone now? Messages is not pulling in any historical iMessages that were sent from my iPhone...

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I broke down and ended up with a smart care for me new Air instead of the Smart Cover. It's okay but nothing special. It actually makes my Air feel a lot like the New iPad in terms of heft. Maybe the leather will break in all nice. Or maybe it will just end up looking and feeling dirty. What a champ they ruined the smart covers. The original hinged design was great.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Ozmodiar posted:

One question - Shouldn't my iMessages sync across devices...or will NEW iMessages just come to both my iPad and my iPhone now? Messages is not pulling in any historical iMessages that were sent from my iPhone...

Just new messages. Any historical messages are stored on the device itself.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Ozmodiar posted:

I'm damned impressed with how fast/efficient Apple ships stuff.

I ordered my Retina Mini at 3AM (EST) Tuesday, and my iPad made it from China to Ohio today by Noon. I've been playing with it all day and I love it.

Same thing happened to my mini that I backed up from an iCloud backup.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Does Apple usually do Black Friday stuff? Or should I just buy my air now and get it over with?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Calaveron posted:

Does Apple usually do Black Friday stuff? Or should I just buy my air now and get it over with?

Apple does do a Black Friday sale, but I doubt it will include the iPad Air or Retina Mini. Accessory deals are highly likely though.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Xabi posted:

e: "14 day return policy."
Doh! That was today.

14 days is their normal return policy. I think you should be covered by their holiday return policy which is basically January.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I got the retina mini w/verizon, I thought it was supposed to be difficult to get, but everyplace seems to have plenty of them. I am relatively impressed, although it seems to burn through battery life faster than my old mini did. One question, the internet gives really erratic answers on: am I locked to only verizon with this iPad, or is it possible to swap to a T-mobile sim later if I wanted to?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

unlawfulsoup posted:

I got the retina mini w/verizon, I thought it was supposed to be difficult to get, but everyplace seems to have plenty of them. I am relatively impressed, although it seems to burn through battery life faster than my old mini did. One question, the internet gives really erratic answers on: am I locked to only verizon with this iPad, or is it possible to swap to a T-mobile sim later if I wanted to?

Should be cross comparable for TMo and ATT.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

unlawfulsoup posted:

You can switch to any US carrier if you have a Verizon model, I believe. In fact people will often recommend buying a Verizon iPad so that the carrier is an option, even if you're planning to go with an alternative like T-Mobile.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Does Apple even have different SKUs for the different carriers? It just seems odd that they would be providing Verizon with a whitelist of iPads they sold with a Verizon SIM, just so that Verizon make the device less useful.

Or is this all just internet rumor crap?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

smackfu posted:

Does Apple even have different SKUs for the different carriers? It just seems odd that they would be providing Verizon with a whitelist of iPads they sold with a Verizon SIM, just so that Verizon make the device less useful.

I think that all happens when the device is first activated.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
There are definitely separate SKU's per carrier - at least at retail.

Also, if you don't really have a carrier preference, T-Mo is giving away 200 MB/Mo of data for life when you buy an iPad with one of their SIMs in it, which is handy if you're the sort that wants the feature/option there, but had no real plans to sign up for a monthly data plan for your iPad.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Is it possible to get a T-mobile sim later for the free data?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

unlawfulsoup posted:

Is it possible to get a T-mobile sim later for the free data?

Yes - I got one from the T-mobile website; it activated perfectly fine in my Verizon iPad.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I have been waiting two years for an ios device with 128Gb of capacity. Now that I have one it is less than half full. It's like I don't know what to do with the extra, but this thing needs to last me a while so I'm sure I will fill er up.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I have a question about having carrier service for the iPad. How do I tell when I'm about to go over my allotted data? 200MB from T-Mobile seems very easy to go over and I don't want to have to pay any extra charges for the data. Because of this, I was also looking at a hot spot from Freedompop (Free 500MB Data Plan, and you can manage the data online). I mean the prices sort of offset each other, the only inconvenience I can see is having to carry around the hot spot.

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 17, 2013

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

obi_ant posted:

I have a question about having carrier service for the iPad. How do I tell when I'm about to go over my allotted data? 200MB from T-Mobile seems very easy to go over and I don't want to have to pay any extra charges for the data. Because of this, I was also looking at a hot spot from Freedompop (Free 500MB Data Plan, and you can manage the data online). I mean the prices sort of offset each other, the only inconvenience I can see is having to carry around the hot spot.
I didn't even enter a payment method so I don't know how they'd charge me for going over 200MB. My guess is it just shuts of at 200MB and you have to purchase one of their data packages to get more that month. I think you can see current usage from settings -> cellular data

Also I tried Freedompop and YMMV but it sucked rear end in Boston area and they charge you for not using at least a certain amount of data each month :wtf:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

obi_ant posted:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 17, 2013

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I'd like to use iCloud to backup my iPad but I have a shitload of Garageband files that make me go a few gigabytes over the limit.

If I disable Garageband from iCloud backup, would my files still get backed up when I plug it into my Mac?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

smackfu posted:

Same hardware now, but different SKUs to determine which SIM card is preinstalled in the iPad.

Not sure if anyone's tested moving to Verizon from another carrier with an LTE iPad and reported back here, but we do know what their policy was pre-LTE with Sprint CDMA phones they wouldn't activate. And with the open access conditions on the LTE bands they won the auction for, they shouldn't have an issue with devices from other carriers moving to their network, but that doesn't seem to have stop them from making it painful to put the Nexus 7 on their network.

Don Tacorleone posted:

I'd like to use iCloud to backup my iPad but I have a shitload of Garageband files that make me go a few gigabytes over the limit.

If I disable Garageband from iCloud backup, would my files still get backed up when I plug it into my Mac?

Think you can only set up one automatic backup, iCloud or iTunes. You can still back up manually to the other, but it won't happen every time you plug in.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Debating between an Air or Retina Mini and it probably won't be resolved until I can see one in store.

Additionally what sleeves are recommended for both sizes? Not a cover or skin user (had a Smart Cover for my 2 which I never used) but a sleeve would be great for when I take it out.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd been putting off buying a new iPad till they came out with a mini retina and then wound up going with the air instead. Shaving the bezel off made it exactly the right size for my man bag and the bigger screen is significantly easier for me to type on.

One nice thing about Verizon's prepaid tablet plan that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere: it includes personal hotspot by default, even on the $20 a month plan. Before discovering that I'd planned on using the free t-mobile thing, but personal hotspot and tablet wireless combined is too handy to pass up.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

One thing that kind of bugs me is the Air being $100 more for the same specs and having a screen that is less supply constrained than the mini. I know it's dumb but hey.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
The Air is slightly faster and still has a better screen actually :eng101:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7519/apple-ipad-mini-with-retina-display-reviewed

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

priznat posted:

One thing that kind of bugs me is the Air being $100 more for the same specs and having a screen that is less supply constrained than the mini. I know it's dumb but hey.

In Apple's defense, the Air is of course bigger, and runs slightly faster, despite having the same CPU. It's also easier for manufacturers to churn out a display at a larger size if the resolution stays the same.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah, I see why they do it and it's perfectly fair. Just in my goofy mind it throws a wrench into my decision making process. I'd go for the Air almost automatically if the prices and specs were the same apart from screen size. I'm just a cheap rear end :haw:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Also, the new pricing scheme makes the decision matrix of buying an iPad the simplest it's been since the original iPad:

$299 for an iPad Mini with a non retina screen. For $100 more, you can either get a bigger screen (iPad 2, even though it is a trap) or a better screen/specs. For another $100, you get both.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

priznat posted:

Yeah, I see why they do it and it's perfectly fair. Just in my goofy mind it throws a wrench into my decision making process. I'd go for the Air almost automatically if the prices and specs were the same apart from screen size. I'm just a cheap rear end :haw:
Yeah that's just being cheap :v:. It's like with TVs (...a lot like them actually cause the screen is the differentiator here too), if you want a bigger screen you'll be paying more for it.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

priznat posted:

Debating between an Air or Retina Mini and it probably won't be resolved until I can see one in store.

Additionally what sleeves are recommended for both sizes? Not a cover or skin user (had a Smart Cover for my 2 which I never used) but a sleeve would be great for when I take it out.

I was in the same exact predicament and I also had the added bonus of playing with my friends Air. I think the Air is a really phenomenal tablet and really the only reason to get the mini retina is for the size, that or you really need the extra hundred dollars. I can fit the mini in my largest coats pocket, which is more or less what pushed me that way. The Air has the better screen and clocked processor, so if you have the space I would just go for that.

It is kind of annoying that the mini's color reproduction is so poor compared to the Air. Hopefully it gets better in the next revision.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 17, 2013

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

unlawfulsoup posted:

It is kind of annoying that the mini's color reproduction is so poor compared to the Air. Hopefully it gets better in the next revision.

Well, it's not like it has chromatic mapping issues—it's just a crunched-in gamut. That's a very common thing for tablets and the old mini had about the same performance. So sure, it could be annoying to some, but it's not like it'll make everything look like a posterized version of itself or anything. It's just... a thing.

Would you like to know more?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

WugLyfe posted:

Well, it's not like it has chromatic mapping issues—it's just a crunched-in gamut. That's a very common thing for tablets and the old mini had about the same performance. So sure, it could be annoying to some, but it's not like it'll make everything look like a posterized version of itself or anything. It's just... a thing.

Would you like to know more?

I only care because I transfer a lot of photos and video to my iPad, so better color reproduction is nice. I compared it side by side with my friends air and his is a lot more accurate. If you have both laying around you can set it to the triangle wallpaper and just look at the red triangles in comparison. You are right, I do not think most people will notice a difference; but it is there.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

priznat posted:

You're making the mistake of thinking Apple prices their products based on BoM cost, which I don't think they've ever done since idevices were a thing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Good point. I'm gonna get the Air anyway I think, I'd like the bigger screen.

So any good sleeves out for it? It'd fit in an older sleeve too of course..

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

So, where are places that are giving the best trade-in for an ipad 3? For some bizarre reason I'm not getting a single bite on CL (priced it $40 less than the closest listing), and I was hoping I could get at least $200+ for it (along with a back cover and two apple-brand smartcovers).

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Crackbone posted:

So, where are places that are giving the best trade-in for an ipad 3? For some bizarre reason I'm not getting a single bite on CL (priced it $40 less than the closest listing), and I was hoping I could get at least $200+ for it (along with a back cover and two apple-brand smartcovers).

Gazelle is quoting me 210 for a 32GB WiFi 3 right now. The cases and covers, you're only going to sell direct to buyer - none of the big trade-in services want them, so craigslist or eBay them separately I suppose if you want the combined~20 bucks they're probably worth.

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!
What styluses (styli?) are you all using with your iPads? Instead of taking pen-and-paper notes at work, I'm looking to transition to taking them electronically so that I can index and search more easily. I suppose I could get a keyboard for my Air and type up notes in meetings, but since I often need to draw diagrams, sketch floor plans, etc. I think a good stylus/handwriting note app is a better investment.

I saw the Amazon Basics stylus in the OP, but since I'm impatient and don't want to wait/pay for shipping, I went down to the big-box store and got an Adonit Jot Pro. I chose it because it was the most "pen-like" and had the finest point. The rubber-tipped models I tried out felt like I was writing with jumbo preschool crayons.

While I like the Jot Pro in the couple of hours I've been playing with it, I'm a little worried about the plastic disc falling off at an inopportune time, scratching my screen.

Any suggestions?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I found the Amazon style one you linked is pretty solid, they are a dime a dozen and you can often nab them for less than $5. I used some friends jot style one and I could not see a significant difference. I would not put any significant amount of money if it is not going to be pressure sensitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

So I got over my cheapness (heh) and picked up a 32GB Air in black, and wow. It's fantastic! Screen is gorgeous. My iPad2 feels like an etch a sketch in comparison.

I'm loading up magazines in newsstand just to marvel at them. Ditto comics.

Still looking for a good sleeve recommendation! The Genius recommended the Acme sleeve with the big elastic, but I was looking more at the Herschel one.