Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Death of Rats posted:

I've been working on a Standard peasant cube (I originally built a standard pauper cube, but some preliminary drafting showed the format to be painfully weak). If anyone has 5 minutes to glance over the list and tell me if I've made any glaring omissions or ridiculous inclusions, it would be appreciated. http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/5069

I've only ever played a proxy power cube and a pauper cube before this, and only once each, so I'm not sure if I've got a decent box of cards here, or an uncomfortable time for all involved.

I've tried to avoid allowing mill as an option, and I've tried to stick (where possible) to the approximate curve for each colour demonstrated in the current standard overall. Where a colour is underrepresented, it's because there was a split card that did similar things to a card in that colour that I'd already included, so I added the split instead. It's heavily invested in multi-coloured cards at the moment, but when Born of the Gods comes out, I'll probably drop it from 7/pair to 6/pair.

I'd worry that right now White is way too strong in general. It has to do with a inherent problem in MtG where white focused gold cards (especially for Azorius and Boros) that are common/uncommon tend to be really mana efficient and have good abilities that don't need setups to work well (as opposed to say, most common and uncommon Black/Green cards).

You could also splash in more utility/low cost cards from RtR if you wanted or maybe just some boiler plate color staples in general. You have some cards that are decidedly mediocre, especially when it comes to some of your 3/4 drop creatures. But you are a little hampered if you want to keep in standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
I've built a peasant cube (without any of the absurdly powerful uncommons like top, wasteland or sol rings since i don't have any of those to spare) and I've made it so it's not singleton, and so far it's working great. One of the strategies I've got is reanimator, with an animate dead, dread return and 2 unburial rites in the cube (the cube is 360 cards). However I'm at a stump as far as reanimation targets. I have one of each of: Pelakka Wurm, Artisan of Kozilek, Pathrazer of Ulamog, and some semi-big things like Krosan Tusker. I need some good ideas for large things that might be worth reanimating, that should be uncommon at most, and I'd appreciate some suggestions.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
Unfortunately, there aren't a ton of great reanimation targets at the Peasant level. You've got most of the ones that I have. Others for you to consider are Trostani's Summoner, any of the landcycler guys like Twisted Abomination, Benthicore, Walker of the Grove, Ulamog's Crusher. That's pretty much all I can think of off the top of my head.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

That is pretty discouraging, since I have all of those in the cube, aside from the Crusher since, as absurd as it is, I can't find where my Ulamog's Crusher is. And there's no way I'm giving money for a goddamn Ulamog's Crusher.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

There's a few big guys with slightly different relevant abilites. A few hasters, some semi elusive "must be blocked by 2 or more" or whatever type of guys but there are none of type of targets with ETB abilities that serve as answers which is what you typically need to make reanimator solid in a cube.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

revengeanceful posted:

Unfortunately, there aren't a ton of great reanimation targets at the Peasant level. You've got most of the ones that I have. Others for you to consider are Trostani's Summoner, any of the landcycler guys like Twisted Abomination, Benthicore, Walker of the Grove, Ulamog's Crusher. That's pretty much all I can think of off the top of my head.

This is part why I ended up cutting most of the reanimation package from my peasant cube (list above). The other reason was that the archetype seemed a bit narrow. Summoner, and big green dudes that can double as a target for green Ramp strategies seem like the most reasonable options; when I have access to some 7s and 8s that are quite good I might add them into the cube, but I'd hesitate to go too far beyond that. The other reason I wasn't completely sure about reanimator is that I'm not running a huge number of good enablers; faithless looking and menfolk looter being the only two I can think of offhand. I kept Unburial Rites and Animate Dead because both are reasonable to run for value.

I cut Dance of the Dead as a tertiary reanimation type effect; while it does have the drawback of upkeep, it's a pretty powerful, cheap reanimator spell that you might want to look into.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

In my peasant cube, the reanimate spells actually see play in normal midrange builds, and even control builds. It's a pretty fresh cube so no one has drafted a straight reanimator deck yet, but stuff like Ulamog's Crusher and Artisan of Kozilek did get played in ramp strategies, and with good results.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
I've taken the consensus of the thread, and designed (well, stolen and mildly adjusted) a modern peasant cube. It's based heavily on whydirt's modern pauper cube (second post of this MTGS thread).

List is here: Modern Peasant Cube.

taladel
Jun 3, 2011

Fezzin' the days away...
From a 4 man rochester last night. First pick sulfuric vortex, go all in. Didn't want to play Olivia but ended up a couple playables short.

Cards under the flash: Dismember, Blast from the Past, Sulfuric Vortex. The unreadable 1 drop artifact is Black Vise (which ended up doing more damage in my games than Vortex). Cursed Scroll would be much better if my curve was lower. In an 8 man it would be fine I think.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
Why the stomping ground?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

KasaiAisu posted:

Why the stomping ground?

There's a Bloodbraid Elf in there.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

How were Sparksmith and Legion Loyalist? In this deck and in general?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Jenx posted:

there's no way I'm giving money for a goddamn Ulamog's Crusher.
:confused: it's like 25 cents at the most.

There's also Artisan of Kozilek and Pelakka Wurm as reanimation / ramp targets in Peasant.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 17, 2013

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Entropic posted:

:confused: it's like 25 cents at the most.

There's also Artisan of Kozilek and Pelakka Wurm as reanimation / ramp targets in Peasant.

Exactly. It's 25 cents. The shipping for a 25 cent card would cost several euros to get it here, and I don't know anyone who actually has a Crusher around so I can take it off them. So like I said - I'm not spending money on a crusher, at least until I make a larger order online and can throw one in as well.

As for Artisan and Pelakka Wurm - both are in. Drafted a sick BUG reanimator today, and I was quite happy with how it turned out. It wasn't "Cast reanimate spell, win." type of reanimator, since those simply are impossible at Peasant levels, but it was a lot of good creatures getting brought back over and over again.

taladel
Jun 3, 2011

Fezzin' the days away...

Aston posted:

How were Sparksmith and Legion Loyalist? In this deck and in general?

I love sparksmith. It's great against mana dorks and white's early game. If you can drop any other goblins it's very, very good.

Legion Loyalist is good in Boros and Mono Red, and honestly almost better as a topdeck on a stalled board. 'Can't be blocked by tokens' is flavor text about half the time but when it's relevant, it is very good.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
So, I've been trying to put together a Peasant C/Ube for a while now- had a few false starts just because I didn't really have the card base for it. I had been thinking of restricting it to Modern cards, but the more I look through some of my oldest stuff, the more I feel like throwing in Dark Rituals, Counterspells, Stone Rain, or other things you don't see printed anymore.

Should these sorts of cards only be used in a cube thats going for power, or would they be alright as part of a larger peasant cube? I guess I'm wondering if their inclusion would end up badly skewing things.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Gravy Train Robber posted:

So, I've been trying to put together a Peasant C/Ube for a while now- had a few false starts just because I didn't really have the card base for it. I had been thinking of restricting it to Modern cards, but the more I look through some of my oldest stuff, the more I feel like throwing in Dark Rituals, Counterspells, Stone Rain, or other things you don't see printed anymore.

Should these sorts of cards only be used in a cube thats going for power, or would they be alright as part of a larger peasant cube? I guess I'm wondering if their inclusion would end up badly skewing things.

Honestly, it seems like testing is the best way. With the edit of my cube to a C/U cube, I actually have found Counterspell to be fine, and I still don't know if Dark Ritual has a home. Stone Rain I don't run because I am not supporting a land destruction subtheme, as my goal is something resembling a strong, modern limited environment, except with good removal and spells on par with older formats. Therefore, I like running Swords to Plowshares, Terror, and such. I still don't have a copy of Lightning Bolt, but my burn package seems to be doing fine without it.

My best recommendation is to test it for yourself. My original list was pretty haphazard and all over the place, and every bit of tweaking is either based on heavy theorycrafting, testing, or both. I'd have never gotten there without the original massive pile of cards, though.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
There are some crazy ones out there.

-Force of Will
-Maze of Ith
-Berserk
-Animate Dead
-Land Tax
-Meekstone
-Mystic Remora
-Pestilence
-Ashnod's Altar
-Demonic Tutor

In general, overall increasing power levels lead to most of cube being made up of recent cards, or at least recent creatures.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Kasonic posted:

There are some crazy ones out there.

-Force of Will
-Maze of Ith
-Berserk
-Animate Dead
-Land Tax
-Meekstone
-Mystic Remora
-Pestilence
-Ashnod's Altar
-Demonic Tutor

In general, overall increasing power levels lead to most of cube being made up of recent cards, or at least recent creatures.

I actually run Altar and Animate in my cube, and I honestly don't find either too terribly degenerate. But, then, that's probably for lack of truly obscene things for them to synergize with.

Pestilence is pretty silly, though.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Force of Will is merely okay in peasant. I wouldn't go out of my way to include it.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
I was wondering everyone's thoughts/experience designing a cube intended solely to be played multi-player battle royal style? Are there single player staples I should avoid putting in and what type of cards should I increase the frequency of (such as sweepers)?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Vise the Stompy posted:

I was wondering everyone's thoughts/experience designing a cube intended solely to be played multi-player battle royal style? Are there single player staples I should avoid putting in and what type of cards should I increase the frequency of (such as sweepers)?

I don't have any experience in this, but I sort of remember a main site article about building a "Hypercube" designed for multiplayer games that used a lot of the planechase and Commander deck cards being posted maybe a year or two ago?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Bombs in Peasant Cube tend not to be money cards. I would first pick Overrun or Flametongue Kavu over Force of Will.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Speaking of bombs, are there any Peasant cards that have been found format-warping? I've barely played it in its new 450-count form, but the current suspects in my cube are:

-Meekstone, which I've already removed after a newer player went 3-0 with this and four-color bears
-AEther Vial
-Skullclamp
-Waterfront Bouncer
-Pestilence/Pyrohemia

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Pestilence is definitely oppressive. I run Plague Spitter instead, it's more fun anyway.

Skullclamp is just stupid. I generally try to avoid putting in cards that are "absolutely always snap-pick this P3P1 no matter what colors you're in". I think it makes for a more interesting format when there are cards that are really good but only in the right decks.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Every Spellbomb.

Well, really just Necrogen because, you know, instant speed discard effects.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Finally got to play my cube that I have spent 4 months buying/trading/sleaving/building.

Brought it to a FNM an hour and a half early and there were two guys already at the store doing nothing so we played some sealed deck. It was hella fun just playing a 3 player chaos game. I built a deck that was pretty agro, mostly curved out at 3, with 2 over run effects and a sword which was bad considering it was multiplayer. After we killed off one guy I was playing against angels.dec the guy had 30 life with a baneslayer in play and I thought I couldn't win even with an over run and over whelming stampede in hand. Then I top deck a cradle with 3 squadran hawks, 2 mana dorks and two white removal when ETB bears and a sworded keeper of secrets to swing in an army of 13/13 + tramplers living the dream.

Cant way to play this again but with a proper draft pod. It has really truely been time/money well spent, which is rare to say in this game.

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Dec 2, 2013

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Kasonic posted:

Speaking of bombs, are there any Peasant cards that have been found format-warping? I've barely played it in its new 450-count form, but the current suspects in my cube are:

-Meekstone, which I've already removed after a newer player went 3-0 with this and four-color bears
-AEther Vial
-Skullclamp
-Waterfront Bouncer
-Pestilence/Pyrohemia
Isn't Meekstone rare?

Anyway, AEther VIal is not really a problem, since you can't have multiples, so if you don't have it in your opening hand, it's actually not a very good draw. Skullclamp is obviously busted, but other cards that can be format-warping are:

- Loxodon Warhammer
- Grafted Wargear
- Isochron Scepter
- Behemoth Sledge

I run all of those except for Loxodon Warhammer, but I have included some more artifact destruction to deal with them. Grafted Wargear is probably the most busted, since you pretty much always slam it, no matter what. Got a 1/1? Enjoy, it's now a 4/3 for 0 equip cost. A 2/1 flyer? It's now a 5/3. Plus it's a sac outlet. I might consider removing it. Isochron Scepter is cool cause you can build your deck around it if you get it early in the draft, but late in the draft it's not nearly as good. It's one of those high variance cards that can be really really strong or just meh. Behemoth Sledge is bonkers too, but it does require two colors.

Oh, also Propaganda/Ghostly Prison are usually bad for peasant cube. They just destroy aggro and usually the aggro player can't do anything to deal with them.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Memory Lapse on an Isochron Scepter is the most fun you can have.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Entropic posted:

Memory Lapse on an Isochron Scepter is the most fun you can have.

Last time I played Cube, I was on the receiving end of an Isochron Scepter/Momentary Blink/Chittering Rats lock :smith:

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Kasonic posted:

-AEther Vial
-Skullclamp
-Waterfront Bouncer
-Pestilence/Pyrohemia

I don't play Aether Vial because I don't think it's consistently good enough to warrant inclusion, especially since you only get one. Skullclamp is obviously bonkers good, and it's on my banlist. Waterfront Bouncer isn't in my cube because I'm pretty sure it's just not very good most of the time. Think of it this way: how often is the card in your hand going to be worse than Unsummon? I would guess that the answer is "not very often". Sure it turns extra lands into something better, but I still think there's better things to be doing. I agree that Pestilence/Pyrohemia could be overpowered, but I just added Pestilence to my cube so it's going to stick around for a little longer.
Cards that I don't play because I think they're format-warping are Sol Ring, Skullclamp, Loxodon Warhammer, Behemoth Sledge, Ghostly Prison, Propaganda, and Timely Reinforcements. Cards I don't play because of monetary reasons are Mana Drain, Library of Alexandria, and Maze of Ith (these are also probably format-warping, so they're really not ever coming in).

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

TheAbortionator posted:

Finally got to play my cube that I have spent 4 months buying/trading/sleaving/building.

Brought it to a FNM an hour and a half early and there were two guys already at the store doing nothing so we played some sealed deck. It was hella fun just playing a 3 player chaos game. I built a deck that was pretty agro, mostly curved out at 3, with 2 over run effects and a sword which was bad considering it was multiplayer. After we killed off one guy I was playing against angels.dec the guy had 30 life with a baneslayer in play and I thought I couldn't win even with an over run and over whelming stampede in hand. Then I top deck a cradle with 3 squadran hawks, 2 mana dorks and two white removal when ETB bears and a sworded keeper of secrets to swing in an army of 13/13 + tramplers living the dream.

Cant way to play this again but with a proper draft pod. It has really truely been time/money well spent, which is rare to say in this game.

It doesn't get any less enjoyable. Cube is seriously the best format.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

WhiteWolf123 posted:

It doesn't get any less enjoyable. Cube is seriously the best format.

Yeah, playing it got me motivated again to work on it. Up til now I had just been building it by hand, but I figured i am retarded for not using cube tutor, so today I spent 2 1/2 hours uploading it.

This is what I got so far, it really needs some balancing and a couple cards that are really important for some archetypes are missing. Crucible of worlds/stripmine and more importantly sneak/show (cause I got all 3 eldrazi and the only thing that can fast cast em with are reanimate (and I dont think I have any ways of putting it in the bin either other then fauna shaman) and tooth n nail.

Right now I have them proxied in as just black and white print outs in front of a bulk common of the same color. So gotta do some trading or get some proper proxies ordered for the more expensive stuff.

http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/5929

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 2, 2013

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

TheAbortionator posted:

Yeah, playing it got me motivated again to work on it. Up til now I had just been building it by hand, but I figured i am retarded for not using cube tutor, so today I spent 2 1/2 hours uploading it.

This is what I got so far, it really needs some balancing and a couple cards that are really important for some archetypes are missing. Crucible of worlds/stripmine and more importantly sneak/show (cause I got all 3 eldrazi and the only thing that can fast cast em with are reanimate (and I dont think I have any ways of putting it in the bin either other then fauna shaman) and tooth n nail.

Right now I have them proxied in as just black and white print outs in front of a bulk common of the same color. So gotta do some trading or get some proper proxies ordered for the more expensive stuff.

And you can't cheat the Eldrazi into play with Reanimate, because you have to reshuffle them into your library when they go to the 'yard.

I'd trim some fat and bring in some aggro support.

WhiteWolf123 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 2, 2013

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

yeah. i know alot of what i build was based around what i had access to and not what is best. so i am open to any suggestions on what to add and what to cut that you may have.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

TheAbortionator posted:

yeah. i know alot of what i build was based around what i had access to and not what is best. so i am open to any suggestions on what to add and what to cut that you may have.

Here's a link to my 450 card cube: http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/170

Here's a link to my cube design article: http://www.mtgsalvation.com/1207-cube-design-philosophy.html

Hopefully there's something of value between those two links. :D

Overall, I'd cut some gold cards, add in some aggro support, and trim some (well, more than some) of the 5+cc cards that are in the list. Decks will play smoother and faster, and drafts will provide more decks with more usable tools. Watching the cube evolve is a fun process, so enjoy making changes and watching how the experience gets better and better over time.

Happy cubing!

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

WhiteWolf123 posted:

And you can't cheat the Eldrazi into play with Reanimate, because you have to reshuffle them into your library when they go to the 'yard.

I'd trim some fat and bring in some aggro support.

Unless you're LSV in that one Cube video, where he resorts to discarding Emrakul, casting Necromancy in response to the trigger thereby reanimating Emrakul, then swinging for almost(?) all his opponents permanents (this is also the match where he calls his own shot, i.e. "Well, the worst draw for my Dark Confidant would be Emrakul...(reveals for DC...reveals Emrakul)...Ok well then").

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

logis posted:

Unless you're LSV in that one Cube video, where he resorts to discarding Emrakul, casting Necromancy in response to the trigger thereby reanimating Emrakul, then swinging for almost(?) all his opponents permanents (this is also the match where he calls his own shot, i.e. "Well, the worst draw for my Dark Confidant would be Emrakul...(reveals for DC...reveals Emrakul)...Ok well then").

Ya, there's a couple of instant speed reanimation spells you can use, but I was specifically referring to Reanimate, which is the one in his cube.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

TheAbortionator posted:

It's interesting, my peasant cube actually had the opposite problem. I had 3 quality reanimation effects in my ~360 (Animate Dead, Dance of the Dead, Unburial Rites), but I ended up cutting Dance and minimizing the archetype because I felt I had a lack of good enablers and good targets. Right now, my best enablers are probably Faithless Looting in red, or Merfolk Looter in blue, and I legitimately don't know if I have any good targets, because I've been trying to keep in spells, enablers, and targets that are all good enough on their own to see play as value cards in other decks. I know I'm thinking of looking into Pelakka Wurm and Ulamog's Crusher, both as targets for reanimation and base Green ramp, and Grisly Salvage, Mulch, and other similar effects as enablers, but I don't want to go overboard with the package in a small cube. I've read articles and other lists, and from what I can tell, it seems like ~4 reanimation effects and maybe ~4 good targets is the minimum for an archetype to be accessible in a 360 cube. Anyone have any experience with tweaking specific packages like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay, I'm tinkering around with trying to build another peasant cube again- and this time I want to find some way to force Werewolves as a viable aggro strategy in Red and Green. Naturally there aren't a whole lot of them, so I was planning on possibly having more than a single copy of some of the cards like Reckless Waif. Its not meant to be a fully tribal cube, I am just feeling nostalgic for Innistrad and DFC shenanigans and want to find a way to make it work alongside other things. If I'm including Immerwolfs for tribal support and other Wolf/Werewolf cards, would it be a good idea to add in some Changelings to offer more targets?

Has anyone else tried using this uncommon of a tribe? Are there any concerns I should be aware of regarding singleton only cubes vs ones with multiples of some cards?