Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

There were guys doing it before Buell but Buell made it "streetable"at 100+ hp.

You see a lot of 100+ hp Sportsters now with the 1250 bolt on kits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Something I've been wondering about; how come, with all the retro models coming out of HD, they've havent released some kind of "retro engined" bike, so to speak? A knucklehead, but with modern technology under the surface, or something like that.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Sort of like that new Indian that has those downward-facing exhaust thingies?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Sort of, but just copy the look of an old engine completely.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HD, release the full loss oil system and a carb with a wick for a mainjet!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wickin' awesome.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I want the one with the little pilot light behind a sliding door in the cylinder wall instead of a spark plug. No more dealing with annoying electric ignition systems! :pseudo:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You joke but a wick is probably comparable to the DDFI-2 i'm running.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
Long story about how me and my business partner lucked into this bike. We just picked it up, so I haven't had time to get proper pictures. This is an original Bill Davis "sub shock" frame. Harley would later buy the patent from Davis and market it as the softail. The frame is #4 of six. Obviously, pretty stoked about grabbing this up.

Bill Davis put the shocks on his design under the seat.

Pic I grabbed from the web of Davis and the six frames.

Link to the story on Bill Davis: http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.com/forum/hdrcgb-virtual-rally/51667-birth-softail.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That's really loving cool.

Too bad that was the last innovation Harley participated in :v:

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Z3n posted:

That's really loving cool.

Too bad that was the last innovation Harley participated in :v:

Davis brought the idea to them before he built the frames and HD said "no." So he decided to build the frames himself. The Davis frames created so much buzz they decided they had to buy the patent. So, they actually didn't really participate in it at all except, you know, throwing a bunch of money at it. Still pretty excited about it, though. Not sure what we're going to do to it, but probably not much. The guy practically gave us a piece of Harley history and he's dying of liver cancer. We'll keep it as close to his build as we can. He's a very cool old dude.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

They were just participating in his innovations in the same way they expect their customers to participate in their brand. It's a compliment, really.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Oh wow. I always assumed the Softail was a hard tail, and they just called it Softail for some dumb reason. That's a hell of a find.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
That actually looks like it has a lot more shock travel than an actual Softail.

Mgant
Nov 26, 2005

Best in the West

sluggo is mad posted:

Long story about how me and my business partner lucked into this bike. We just picked it up, so I haven't had time to get proper pictures. This is an original Bill Davis "sub shock" frame. Harley would later buy the patent from Davis and market it as the softail. The frame is #4 of six. Obviously, pretty stoked about grabbing this up.

Bill Davis put the shocks on his design under the seat.

Pic I grabbed from the web of Davis and the six frames.

Link to the story on Bill Davis: http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.com/forum/hdrcgb-virtual-rally/51667-birth-softail.html

This is overwhelmingly awesome.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Safety Dance posted:

Oh wow. I always assumed the Softail was a hard tail, and they just called it Softail for some dumb reason. That's a hell of a find.

Wha? What an odd thing to assume.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

HaB posted:

Wha? What an odd thing to assume.

They call it a softail but it doesn't have any obvious rear suspension. I thought it was just a name.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Safety Dance posted:

They call it a softail but it doesn't have any obvious rear suspension. I thought it was just a name.

Right but if I make a car and call it a Turbo, and it doesn't actually have a Turbo in it, but I'm still selling it as a Turbo - I'm pretty sure that's like...illegal.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

HaB posted:

Right but if I make a car and call it a Turbo, and it doesn't actually have a Turbo in it, but I'm still selling it as a Turbo - I'm pretty sure that's like...illegal.
You should see the Chinese scooters I work on. Quite a lot of them say "supercharge" or "turbo" on the side. Some even say "ABS" on the brakes. They don't have ABS. That should be loving illegal.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

"Automatic Breakdown System"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"A brake, sorta"

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

HaB posted:

I didn't say it made sense.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Automatic breaking system.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

You should see the Chinese scooters I work on. Quite a lot of them say "supercharge" or "turbo" on the side. Some even say "ABS" on the brakes. They don't have ABS. That should be loving illegal.

Wasn't it you who was telling me someone sued one of the manufacturers because he thought his bike had ABS when it didn't because he assumed the light being on meant ABS was working or something like that?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Not sure I remember that one. On a related note, BMW early model ABS systems (80s) often break these days and they're annoying as hell. They blink multiple red lights at you incessantly. And it's like $2000 to fix a system like that. I've seen a number of those bikes with electrical tape over the lights on the dash.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

HaB posted:

Wasn't it you who was telling me someone sued one of the manufacturers because he thought his bike had ABS when it didn't because he assumed the light being on meant ABS was working or something like that?

It was a Harley:

the article posted:

Jack Wilson, who crashed on Highway 99 in California, told the Highway Patrol that his anti-lock braking system had somehow malfunctioned, however, his bike, a 2008 Harley-Davidson Road Glide was never fitted with ABS.

Wilson claims the icon on the motorcycle's idiot lights suggested that it did have ABS. He also claimed the salesman who sold him the bike gave him an elbow-to-the-ribs-type aside and said 'chicks love ABS'.

IIRC it was never actually lit, but as with the dashboards of all vehicles-with-options, it was sorta visible in certain light. My car has neither ABS nor traction nor a few other things but the spacces for them are present on the dash. They never light, though.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

It was a Harley:

IIRC it was never actually lit, but as with the dashboards of all vehicles-with-options, it was sorta visible in certain light. My car has neither ABS nor traction nor a few other things but the spacces for them are present on the dash. They never light, though.

I'm not sure how it works on non-ABS models, but on both ABS bikes I've owned, it's on when you start it, and goes off as soon as you go over 6 mph, unless something is wrong, then it stays lit.

But at least you can tell the light is doing SOMETHING.

Topic jump: does anyone know off the top of their head of an accessory plug/harness which hooks up to a 2014 Wide Glide? I have a plug under the seat which it attached to what seems to just be a piece of plastic. it's in a little slideout slot, but it's definitely not wired to anything, and didn't even have any metal contacts on it. So it looks like it's maybe just there to hold the plug, or is a sub for something which appears on other models. I've seen some accessory sockets which plug in under the seat so you don't have to go DTB, but I'm wondering if that's the plug I would use, and what might fit it.

HaB fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 18, 2013

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

HaB posted:

I'm not sure how it works on non-ABS models, but on both ABS bikes I've owned, it's on when you start it, and goes off as soon as you go over 6 mph, unless something is wrong, then it stays lit.

But at least you can tell the light is doing SOMETHING.

Topic jump: does anyone know off the top of their head of an accessory plug/harness which hooks up to a 2014 Wide Glide? I have a plug under the seat which it attached to what seems to just be a piece of plastic. it's in a little slideout slot, but it's definitely not wired to anything, and didn't even have any metal contacts on it. So it looks like it's maybe just there to hold the plug, or is a sub for something which appears on other models. I've seen some accessory sockets which plug in under the seat so you don't have to go DTB, but I'm wondering if that's the plug I would use, and what might fit it.

Its not the trickle charger port?

edit: but Halrey sells this thingy

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/saddlebag-mount-auxiliary-power-port

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Anyone downloaded a remap onto their bike? Mine runs like poo poo after doing the exhaust, and until I do some more extensive work, I'm not going to make the effort to have it actually tuned on a dyno. The dealership and a few online forums suggested that a pre-set fuel mapping can be applied to the ECM.

How can I just go about doing that? Is there an application? Special cable? What/where is the interface on the bike?

And would anyone recommend something different? I've got a stock 2011 Nightster 1200 with V&H short shots and quiet baffles that's running lean.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Strife posted:

Anyone downloaded a remap onto their bike? Mine runs like poo poo after doing the exhaust, and until I do some more extensive work, I'm not going to make the effort to have it actually tuned on a dyno. The dealership and a few online forums suggested that a pre-set fuel mapping can be applied to the ECM.

How can I just go about doing that? Is there an application? Special cable? What/where is the interface on the bike?

And would anyone recommend something different? I've got a stock 2011 Nightster 1200 with V&H short shots and quiet baffles that's running lean.

This can only be done at the Harley dealer because they are the only ones with the proprietary equipment required to do it. It's like $350 or something ridiculously exorbitant and is one of the reasons I vowed never, ever to have any repair work done at a dealership ever.

If anyone has a different idea please let me know because I'd be glad to go somewhere else, but I've got the Harley thing instead of a Power Commander so I'm probably screwed.

e: The other incident which led me to this occurred when I forgot to flip off the ignition so my headlight drained my battery. They graciously towed my bike a few blocks to the dealership and then proceeded to try to sell me a new battery and charge me labor for installing it. I pushed that heavy loving bike back to my work, pulled it into the bay in the back, plugged it into my trickle charger over the weekend, started it up the next Monday, and still loving hate those nasty small fuckers who run that place. A different dealership tried to tell me that a 15,000 mile service should cost maybe $300 or so. Yeah, gently caress you

Schlieren fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 20, 2013

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Its not the trickle charger port?

edit: but Halrey sells this thingy

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/saddlebag-mount-auxiliary-power-port

Yeah after confirming with the parts guy at the dealer, the 2014 doesn't have the unused accessory port. The one I see under the seat is the antenna port for the security system, which I don't have - hence it not being connected to anything.

Checked with a service guy and he said Direct to Battery is the way they usually do them, so I guess I'll go with that.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Schlieren posted:

This can only be done at the Harley dealer because they are the only ones with the proprietary equipment required to do it. It's like $350 or something ridiculously exorbitant and is one of the reasons I vowed never, ever to have any repair work done at a dealership ever.

Fortunately mine is only charging $180, but that's still a lot for something that basically just requires a laptop and an executable.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I'm considering a cruiser. After 26 years of riding, I am tired of sportbikes. I'm also getting too old to put my wife on the back of my current ride, a Honda 919. I am considering a Suzuki M109 or a lower end Harley. I'd go sport touring but even they're too crazy now (I'm looking at you, Concours 14).

I've decided that if I go Harley, it would only be on the terms that I get to piss off the local Harley people. No retro chrome studs on the seat, as little chrome as I can do, no stupid whips or HD t-shirts. Full face helmet with textile jacket. I live in central Virginia, and the local rednecks with the blipping throttles and the straight pipes at 2AM are just too deserving of ridicule.

I have always wondered what happens if you put aftermarket slip on sportbike exhausts on a Harley. I know that I'll not hear a high rpm 4cyl scream, but I would it sound stupid?

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Hate to burst your bubble but Harley makes entire lines of bikes with as little chrome as possible, and full face helmets, and textile jackets.

Their stock exhausts are actually pretty quiet... so the must insulting thing you could do would be to leave it stock.

dimmlight
Aug 24, 2004

Halo_4am posted:

Hate to burst your bubble but Harley makes entire lines of bikes with as little chrome as possible, and full face helmets, and textile jackets.

Their stock exhausts are actually pretty quiet... so the must insulting thing you could do would be to leave it stock.

Yeah, I have a dyna with stock exhaust. Harley guy loves to ask, "You sure that aint a honda?"

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I've heard a few stock Harley's and I do prefer them over loud pipes.

If I can find a decent used V-rod I'll buy.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Find a Sportster 1200 XR

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Keith Stone posted:

I've heard a few stock Harley's and I do prefer them over loud pipes.

It's almost as if the manufacturer tunes the factory pipes to sound really good and maintain reasonable noise levels, but a lot of the ridership can't mentally separate "sounds good" from "sets off car alarms". Or something.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Sagebrush posted:

It's almost as if the manufacturer tunes the factory pipes to sound really good and maintain reasonable noise levels, but a lot of the ridership can't mentally separate "sounds good" from "sets off car alarms". Or something.

That's not it. The sissy libruls in the govment had the tree huggers make laws to pussify the Motorcycle Company. That's why the pipes aren't manly on a stock bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Find a Sportster 1200 XR

That's a great looking bike, but I need something better suited to 2up riding.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

That's not it. The sissy libruls in the govment had the tree huggers make laws to pussify the Motorcycle Company. That's why the pipes aren't manly on a stock bike.

Being 43 gives you a point of view that "manly" motorcycles really do appeal to manchildren.

Richard Cabeza fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 21, 2013

• Locked thread