Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I like how the t-rex has his own stubby arms as well a pair of robotic stubby arms on his cyber-girdle. It's so perfectly stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh man, you know the way everyone says watching TNG straight from episode one is a bad idea, I totally understand now, but I'm loving this. How long is everyone but Tasha Yar in skirts for?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

kelvron posted:

Also has the best music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-QBe9pPdkM

And this is literally what STO is like now.

W-Wait a second. How can the T-Rex be shooting a beam at the Stegosaurus from that position?

:stare:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

DrSunshine posted:

W-Wait a second. How can the T-Rex be shooting a beam at the Stegosaurus from that position?

Well the little cobra dude is swiveling about and...wait that's still not right.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Because shut up.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh man DeForest Kelley, as an old curmudgoney space racist. poo poo yeah.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Shoehead posted:

Oh man DeForest Kelley, as an old curmudgoney space racist. poo poo yeah.

It's funny how he somehow got MORE southern as old McCoy. Did he go back to living in Georgia or did old age just bring it out of him even more?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Apple Jax posted:

I wonder if they let Stewart keep them. Or, if they were sold on auction to some trekkie for a million bucks.

I guess the first question is would he have wanted to keep them? If it was made for the show it might not have been built for comfort.

That said if it was just something off the shelf I could easily see them not caring if they walked off with the star of the show. William Shatner basically took home a couple of wigs (which were way more expensive than speedo briefs!) and the producers couldn't be bothered to really do anything about it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Wow cool an hour and a half for space Jellyfish. And the second episode is the drunk gas episode? This is awesome.

Edit: Jesus it's been ages since I've seen this one, but it starts off pretty drat morbid. It's like they found Space Station 13.

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 17, 2013

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Shoehead posted:

Wow cool an hour and a half for space Jellyfish. And the second episode is the drunk gas episode? This is awesome.

You'll be really thrilled with the one after that. It's a fan favorite!

Oh, and the episode after that introduces a race that everybody loves!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Gau posted:

I thought they already had a couple in the crew?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If I die without someone having made a live action Dinoriders movie, life will have been a waste.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Otisburg posted:

Wait is laserdinos a good or a bad thing because I'm seeing arguments for both sides.

It's an awesome thing.

(For those wondering why the hell, in STO the current enemy is the Voth, the race from Voyager descended from Earth dinosaurs. And it turns out they have Raptor and T-Rex pets that they've engineered into cyborg foot soldiers.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 17, 2013

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

MikeJF posted:

It's an awesome thing.

(For those wondering why the hell, in STO the current enemy is the Voth, the race from Voyager descended from Earth dinosaurs. And it turns out they have Raptor and T-Rex pets that they've engineered into cyborg foot soldiers.)

Man I've seen Too Much Voyager and I don't even remember these guys

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

MikeJF posted:

It's an awesome thing.

The ones that were all "NO WE DIDNT COME FROM EARTH, WE'RE GODDAMN ARYAN DINOS AND WE'RE DESTINED TO RUN THIS SPACE!" despite Dino space doc and Chakotay proving otherwise? Or did Voyager have multiple Space Dino species and I blocked them out for the safety of my brain?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Also the time when they found this awesome communication network spanning nearly to the Alpha Quadrant and Seven :techno:'d it to electrocute the Subspace Service Rep.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Up to "Journey's End" on my TNG watch. Hopefully it's a better episode than "The Paradise Syndrome."

E: gently caress, Wesley's back this is gonna be rough.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So which Journey's End was better? TNG or Dr Who?

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009
When you google the episode title the doctor who episode is first. Now you know.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Proof that our dishonour has displeased Kahless.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

MrMo posted:

When you google the episode title the doctor who episode is first. Now you know.

Doctor Who is without honor

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Dude goes on a vision quest and sees Wesley Crusher? I think I'd ask for a refund.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It's pretty common knowledge that, at some point, the Traveler raped Wesley.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Gau posted:

But they don't introduce the Cardassians till season 4

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Look who I found in Season 1 Episode 1 of Babylon 5:

:mad:

It looks like the dude has been around. Wonder where he'll pop up next!

Damo fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 17, 2013

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

MikeJF posted:

It's an awesome thing.

Yes. If I was unclear earlier, shooting dinosaurs in a Dyson Sphere is great fun and great Trek.

Voyager could've been a whole lot different.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pgAFV2YxLQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NANUpPaiGG8

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 17, 2013

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Someone help me out here, I'm trying to figure out the way the writing credits are presented. Story = the actual story, teleplay = the script. Names separated by an & means they worked closely together and an 'and' means the person after the 'and' worked on it alone? Also, is it generally bad news if there's a ton of writing credits for any given episode?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Commissar Ken posted:

The ones that were all "NO WE DIDNT COME FROM EARTH, WE'RE GODDAMN ARYAN DINOS AND WE'RE DESTINED TO RUN THIS SPACE!" despite Dino space doc and Chakotay proving otherwise? Or did Voyager have multiple Space Dino species and I blocked them out for the safety of my brain?

Nah, it's those fellows.

They had to tone down their threat a bit for the game, since they were just about the most powerful non-energy being race we've ever seen in the show and could flip off Voyager like a lightswitch.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah, when people are connected by the & symbol, it means they worked on it together. The word "and" means those people worked on it, but not together. So you could see, say

code:
         Written by
Brannon Braga & Rick Berman
            and
         DC Fontana
But all it would mean is B&B wrote some drafts, then handed it off to DC.

And while a lot of credits on a script can indicate serious issues were had with the script along the way, it doesn't necessarily mean the episode will be bad. It could, for instance, indicate the script had been sitting in the bullpen for years, being rewritten over and over but never used for whatever reason.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

And while a lot of credits on a script can indicate serious issues were had with the script along the way, it doesn't necessarily mean the episode will be bad. It could, for instance, indicate the script had been sitting in the bullpen for years, being rewritten over and over but never used for whatever reason.

That usually does indicate problems though, often because the original script just wasn't strong enough and nobody could quite salvage it or because somebody just won't stop insisting it has a chance.

A lot of the problems with Indiana Jones the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (in my opnion) are from Frankenscript issues, where bits and pieces of old drafts that Lucas liked kept getting added to the project over the years until it was nigh impossible to make anything coherent out of it.

There are exceptions to every rule, of course, but zillions of writing credits sure is a red flag.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
At the same time, a lot of scripts can be handed off amicably, from a writer who turns in solid ideas that need polishing for example.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Gau posted:

At the same time, a lot of scripts can be handed off amicably, from a writer who turns in solid ideas that need polishing for example.

Counterpoint World War Z

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Oh, for sure. It's a sign that something is coming along really weird. But writing guild rules are a funny thing; your credit goes up and up depending how much you wrote, and if you basically rewrote the whole drat thing from scratch by the end, you may very well end up the only credited writer, so it's not always as clearcut as you might think, especially in a show with a writer's room where the whole staff breaks stories together. Where does one writer end and another begin, you know?

Anyway, probably what "story by/teleplay by" indicates is the original script was more or less thrown out by the teleplay author and done over from the original story outline. Both writers get credit, but it's strictly delineated who did what for WGA purposes.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Oh, for sure. It's a sign that something is coming along really weird. But writing guild rules are a funny thing; your credit goes up and up depending how much you wrote, and if you basically rewrote the whole drat thing from scratch by the end, you may very well end up the only credited writer, so it's not always as clearcut as you might think, especially in a show with a writer's room where the whole staff breaks stories together. Where does one writer end and another begin, you know?

Anyway, probably what "story by/teleplay by" indicates is the original script was more or less thrown out by the teleplay author and done over from the original story outline. Both writers get credit, but it's strictly delineated who did what for WGA purposes.

Also you can get a story credit just for coming up with major concepts within the story. "Hey, there should be an alien bounty hunter" is why David Duchovney's name is on a few X-files scripts.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

DrSunshine posted:

That phaser is equipped with an M.C. Escher targeting enhancement module.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

But a lot of times in Star Trek scripts will get uncredited rewrites along the way. So your script written by Braga & Berman and DC Fontana could have had a rewrite along the way by Michael Piller without on-screen credit.

Bicyclops posted:

There are exceptions to every rule, of course, but zillions of writing credits sure is a red flag.

Wild Wild West

Story by Jim Thomas & John Thomas
Screenplay by SS Wilson & Brent Maddock and Jeffrey Price & Peter S. Seaman

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Nov 17, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

But a lot of times in Star Trek scripts will get uncredited rewrites along the way. So your script written by Braga & Berman and DC Fontana could have had a rewrite along the way by Michael Piller without on-screen credit.

Yeah, that's what I mean about the writer's room and such. Like, I've been rocking the commentaries on The Shield and despite episodes being credited to one person, they regularly say in the commentaries "yeah, Kurt wrote all these scenes to do with this rapist" or something similar. You never really can tell from the outside.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

This is sad since Bujold is a decent actress. Here, though, she's being out-acted by the set.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

This is sad since Bujold is a decent actress. Here, though, she's being out-acted by the set.

It's clear she doesn't want to be there. Maybe that explains Beltrane. Maybe he's secretly a good actor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
So other than the obvious reason of fighting robo-T-rex, why did they bring the dinos into STO?

• Locked thread