Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

Viper_3000 posted:

Johnny Tran? That dude built a mean s2000 in those movies.

Yeah, check the records for sure. As for ATF Fluid, if the transmission feels like it's in good shape, I'd change it. If it feels like it's going, I'd leave it alone as you'd probably do more harm than good. Redline D4 or Dextron 6 is what most people with e46's prefer from what I've read.

It doesn't look that bad, change expansion tank, hoses, and pump first, everything else on next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Those aren't the most exciting cars with an automatic.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

mulligan posted:

So a friend of mine is selling me his 2002 BMW 330Ci MSport, (he said is the Canadian one, whatever that means)

It has the ZHP bumpers, cube interior trim, and some have alcantara seats but that was obviously optioned with leather. It does NOT have the ZHP cams/increased revlimiter or style 135 wheels.

edit: GET THE REAR SUBFRAME MOUNTING POINTS INSPECTED FOR CRACKS. While not as common a failure with later model e46s, it is still a possibility and absolutely worth the inspection cost given the possibility of high repair costs (up to 4k).

And if you can't do your own work, I would budget 2k a year in maintenance, minimum. E46s are at the perfect age where stupid poo poo starts going.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 17, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So... why was the hood replaced/painted?
Hint: It's been in a front end collision, figure out what the extent of the damage was.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

revmoo posted:

Hi, I've actually owned both. It's the same in either car. Slightly cramped but definitely livable. The coupe and sedan are pretty much the exact same dimensions so it is really no use buying the sedan for legroom.

I thought the sedans were 3 in the back and coupes were 2 in the back? Or are they both the same?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

That's the transmission light, not sure what that means. There is also a rear-tail light out of some sort as well as another, mysterious warning light on the far right.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Keyser S0ze posted:

That's the transmission light, not sure what that means. There is also a rear-tail light out of some sort as well as another, mysterious warning light on the far right.

It's actually the SES light on the Canadian models. The other red light on the right is the Canadian check your brakes light I think.

I think this car is one of the ones you don't walk away from, but instead run as far away as possible from.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I recently put new inner and outer tie rods along with new LCABs on my 98 M3. I jacked up the car last week to change the oil and hello inner tire wear! I've probably put 1500-2000 miles on the car since the new equipment was installed.

(Sorry for the lousy pics)

I of course had the car aligned after putting on the new stuff, but when I got it back the steering wheel was a smudge off center so I took it back to have it squared up. And now this. The camber isn't adjustable on the front so is this just a matter of incorrect toe? Could another suspension component be worn out that would be causing this?

I'm kind of done with the alignment shop after they gave back to me with the wheel off center so this would make the 3rd time I'd be taking it back to them for a simple alignment. Additionally, that tire is mostly toast now as well.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yes, toe. Camber wear shows up at the end of a tires life, toe wear will murder a tire well before that.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

Viper_3000 posted:

It's actually the SES light on the Canadian models. The other red light on the right is the Canadian check your brakes light I think.

I think this car is one of the ones you don't walk away from, but instead run as far away as possible from.

So it's not even worth an inspection? I am not really looking for a E46, I just loved the test drive, so if this car is a catastrophic failure who merits running away from like a freight train straight out of the gates of hades, I guess is back to a safe boring choice then.

I was really looking forward to buying it.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Viper_3000 posted:

Pretty sure that is just the ebrake light on the far right, it means it is engaged. The red light in the middle does indicate a tail lamp failure.

But I do agree, I would walk away from this. There are plenty of e46s.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

mulligan posted:

So it's not even worth an inspection? I am not really looking for a E46, I just loved the test drive, so if this car is a catastrophic failure who merits running away from like a freight train straight out of the gates of hades, I guess is back to a safe boring choice then.

Never Ever EVER buy a car based on emotion. It usually ends in a poo poo load of heartache and you will end up hating the car.

But they made a poo poo load of E46's, don't worry, you will find a good one soon enough.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Never Ever EVER buy a car based on emotion. It usually ends in a poo poo load of heartache and you will end up hating the car.

But they made a poo poo load of E46's, don't worry, you will find a good one soon enough.

The dealership offers a 50 point checkup for buyers for a really cheap price.

They have the final word but I am keeping emotion out of this.

Also the hood was repainted and insurance is clean so no accidents as far as official records go, again dealership will tell me.

Thank you all!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The fact that I could pick up that the hood was painted from a lovely picture in the shade should tell you something.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

Yes, toe. Camber wear shows up at the end of a tires life, toe wear will murder a tire well before that.

Could any worn suspension parts cause this? It was just inspected so I know the ball joints are good. Tie rods as stated are new. Front shock mounts? I'm just trying to be thorough before I take it back to the shop.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Was there no wear like this before you took it in or did you just notice it now?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

ThirstyBuck posted:

Could any worn suspension parts cause this? It was just inspected so I know the ball joints are good. Tie rods as stated are new. Front shock mounts? I'm just trying to be thorough before I take it back to the shop.

I am not 100%, but cars like the E39 are notorious rear tire chewers. Worn parts can cause that, but sounds like some worn bushings.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

mulligan posted:

For me, if the PO is too lazy to change out a brake light before showing it, what more complicated/expensive thing is he too lazy to do? Take that fact along with the point that BlackMK4 pointed out the front end damage that wasn't disclosed to you, and I think you have a PO who is dumping the car right before it needs the expensive maintenance that he doesn't want to do and has put off, and I'm running pretty fast.

I LOVE the e46, and I probably will continue to own one for the foreseeable future, but I spent 4 months looking for mine, and still had to drop $1000 to bring it up to snuff.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

mulligan posted:

Also the hood was repainted and insurance is clean so no accidents as far as official records go, again dealership will tell me.

If there were no accidents why the hell was the hood repainted and why was it done lovely? Just because insurance/carfax/autocheck is clean doesn't mean the car wasn't in a wreck. When I was M3 shopping there were plenty of cars with spotless records that had been in anything from a minor fender bender to a car that had everything forward of the firewall cut off and replaced.

I'd walk, find another one.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NitroSpazzz posted:

If there were no accidents why the hell was the hood repainted and why was it done lovely? Just because insurance/carfax/autocheck is clean doesn't mean the car wasn't in a wreck. When I was M3 shopping there were plenty of cars with spotless records that had been in anything from a minor fender bender to a car that had everything forward of the firewall cut off and replaced.

I'd walk, find another one.

I mean, honestly, it was in a crash or something. The hood was obvious but I am 90% on the bumper and fender being replaced, at least, also.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I've noticed the mech fan on the 540 isn't spinning up like it was this summer, and my temps are rising when stopped. It got up to 107 the other day. Fan clutch time!

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

Was there no wear like this before you took it in or did you just notice it now?

Definitely was not there before.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Crustashio posted:

It has the ZHP bumpers, cube interior trim, and some have alcantara seats but that was obviously optioned with leather. It does NOT have the ZHP cams/increased revlimiter or style 135 wheels.

Actually, Canadian M-sports got the increased rev limiter and cams, but not the ZHP gauge cluster that shows the higher rev limit. :psyduck:

It's a 2002 though, which seems a year early (assuming Canada got the M-sport at the same time as the US got the ZHP - which would be the 2003 model year.) With the repainted front end, that has me thinking it's a regular or sport package 330i that the PO thought would be nice to slap on some M-tech IIs and new trim pieces.

As others have said though, run, do not walk, from that one. Also, don't get an auto, they're not as fun and they have even more cooling problems (hello clutch fan!)

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
So I was doing the brakes on my E36 and found part of the spring sitting on the lower control arm (don't worry it isn't being driven) which would have happened before I got the car. Is there a place other than junkyards to get replacement stock height springs? I prefer not to lower it from stock. It's a 1992 if it makes a difference.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

HotCanadianChick posted:

Actually, Canadian M-sports got the increased rev limiter and cams, but not the ZHP gauge cluster that shows the higher rev limit. :psyduck:

No, that's the canadian performance package. The msport is different, it has the ZHP cosmetics but none of the mechanicals. It may also be labelled as sport package by some people, but it is unique to canada and you could get it on 325s as well.

Timmy Cruise posted:

So I was doing the brakes on my E36 and found part of the spring sitting on the lower control arm (don't worry it isn't being driven) which would have happened before I got the car. Is there a place other than junkyards to get replacement stock height springs? I prefer not to lower it from stock. It's a 1992 if it makes a difference.

Ebay has lots. I wouldn't bother with junkyards as the springs are likely to be in just as terrible shape.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How hosed is my friend? The lock cylinder in his e46 just spins because that little plastic thing inside just broke, he remote unlock isn't working, and it's a sedan so the seats don't fold.

Rock->Window time?

ahahahahaha.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
You got trunk access? Ski port.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The trunk doesn't do central unlocking?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's a sedan, no folding seats and no ski port since literally the only option on the car was xenons. Custom order car.

rscott posted:

The trunk doesn't do central unlocking?

No

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

How hosed is my friend? The lock cylinder in his e46 just spins because that little plastic thing inside just broke, he remote unlock isn't working, and it's a sedan so the seats don't fold.

Rock->Window time?

ahahahahaha.

Take a wire coat hanger and jam it in between the weatherstripping and the car and either push the unlock button on the console, or use the hook to grab the handle and pull it twice.

(This process will take you 2+ hours, or you can pay a locksmith about $50 and they'll have it open in 10 minutes. Personally, I'm stubborn and have free time, but some people will want to take the easy way out...)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
As far as I know, ski port is in all the cars, they start out with a spotwelded plate there and just knock it out for the cars that actually get the port as an option. Might be an angle. Or there might be a hole plug in the middle of it like there was on mine, knock that out and coathanger a back door handle.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Jonny 290 posted:

As far as I know, ski port is in all the cars, they start out with a spotwelded plate there and just knock it out for the cars that actually get the port as an option. Might be an angle. Or there might be a hole plug in the middle of it like there was on mine, knock that out and coathanger a back door handle.

There is a hole but the seat foam is there.

Whatever, I'm going to go punch a hole in his window since he's linking me poo poo about connecting a custom interface to the 6cd changer plug in the trunk and sending a message over the IBus to unlock the doors. Wtf. Locksmith wanted more money than getting a used piece of glass.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 18, 2013

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Have fun cleaning up broken glass.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Still have to install used glass. gently caress that noise.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I think my AAA covers getting a locksmith to unlock your car for you, really you use that thing once and it pays for itself for the year.

e: I literally bought a $145 AAA membership and 5 minutes later used it to tow my car 150 miles because it was $500 cheaper than a tow, I don't know how much used glass is for an E46 but you might want to look into doing that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Crustashio posted:

Still have to install used glass. gently caress that noise.

Window regulator is bad anyway, two fer one.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Crustashio posted:

Ebay has lots.

:doh:

Yes they do. Thanks. I am so used to just going to RockAuto/pelican parts etc that I didn't check.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
If you want a laugh, call up the dealer and ask for a price on a rear spring.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

It's a sedan, no folding seats and no ski port since literally the only option on the car was xenons. Custom order car.

No

I punched my ski port out, ghetto style. It's pretty much pre-cut for it as Jonny said, and the rear seat had a fold down armrest and foam also was pre-cut there as well. I think you would need some long Dirk Nowitzki arms to reach either rear door handle though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BlackMK4 posted:

Whatever, I'm going to go punch a hole in his window since he's linking me poo poo about connecting a custom interface to the 6cd changer plug in the trunk and sending a message over the IBus to unlock the doors.

I'm not sure the computer has I-Bus powered up until you either turn on the ignition or unlock the doors, so this might not work anyways. If the bus is active though it is a valid option as long as he didn't need his car any time soon, the only prebuilt interface I'm aware of is the Resler one which is built in small batches and ships from Germany. It took a few weeks for mine to arrive.