Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Dude I made like $14/hour (with tips) and all I did was make/serve coffee for 3 weeks and I got burned out.

What do you do now that's easier and how much do you make? I'm serious.

Because, to quote one of my role models, "I want to go to there."

So far, my adventure in career change has involved me surfing indeed.com and seeing what looks interesting. I'm not qualified to do anything. Even if I had a bachelors, pretty much all entry level jobs require two years of experience which I guess means interning for free for two years? Or maybe they're making sure you're ethically compromised enough to lie on your resume. who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There are always startups here looking for administrative assistants or front office people. They pay about the same if you're new to it. You have experience managing people so I'd look on Craigslist in the admin or maybe even the medical field for office work. It's a drudgery though. The highlight of my day at work is getting coffee.

Also the job market really sucks. I couldn't get a job giving blowjobs and lucked into something that didn't involve blowjobs.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 13, 2013

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Mu Zeta posted:

I couldn't get a job giving blowjobs and lucked into something that didn't involve blowjobs.

Okay, we need some clarification about the role of "administrative assistant" because you've given us what looks like conflicting information here.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Wroughtirony posted:

pretty much all entry level jobs require two years of experience which I guess means interning for free for two years?

gently caress that noise. Basically, two years' experience means they don't want some dumbfuck never-worked-a-day-in-his-life straight out of highschool. You could wrangle your experience into being applicable for an admin assistant or office manager position with your eyes closed.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

gently caress that noise. Basically, two years' experience means they don't want some dumbfuck never-worked-a-day-in-his-life straight out of highschool. You could wrangle your experience into being applicable for an admin assistant or office manager position with your eyes closed.

I could also probably manage an office with my eyes closed. I have exceptional hearing.

Kidding aside (and no offence intended to admins) I have always wanted a career. I can deal with a job in the short term, I'm just getting antsy about not having a 5 year plan.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Interview with an IT headhunter this morning, for a PC technician job that starts at 50% higher than my current hourly. :v:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Another day where I almost, ALMOST just walked out of work to never look back. The french waitress pulled me aside and told me to not think about my boss being a micro managing lunatic, and to instead think about her. :allears:

Thankfully he was being a dry anus to everyone, not just me. He spent more time telling me how to do my job (4 months after hiring me) than letting me DO my bloody job. He's also again changed the menu (third time in as many months), this time to a cheap, plain-white paper no-folder deal with no decoration like it was a friggin' cafeteria. He still keeps overassigning servers to each shift, and he spent half the night making the barely legal new hostess taste a ton of wine and talking reaaaaaal close with her while his wife worked in the office.

Classy guy. A wonder his business is about to go under.

Anyways I had my first interview at P.F. Chang's down the street, and they seemed to really like me. The server there told me to be patient and call back in a week if I didn't hear anything to gently keep the pressure on; he impressed on them that I'm not nice, but also a hard worker, which I really appreciated. I'm riding a lot on this, since it seems even at my shithole job a server can pull a $100 a night on a BAD night, which would be a fortune for me. I need it fast. I got one month of savings left I can use before I'm out on the streets. I feel that if I can ace a server spot in time for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's, I'll tuck in a small fat wad to coast me through the dry months until I figure out what to do in the summer.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Black August, it maybe goes without saying but please don't drink or get high or otherwise out of strict control between now and Christmas. Hands and feet, eyes and ears, keep 'em safe.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Black August, it maybe goes without saying but please don't drink or get high or otherwise out of strict control between now and Christmas. Hands and feet, eyes and ears, keep 'em safe.

No worries. I've sense enough to stay ramrod straight; the only thing I want to abuse until winter ends is sleep. Frankly I won't have time to get drunk or high, and I like it that way. I don't LIKE it being slow instead of gasket-blowing busy, because the crushing boredom and temptation to complain with coworkers or turn to narcotics to keep my sanity bottled up gets too great.

I mean after, like, weeks straight of that kind of slow, not just one or two days.

I guess it's a bit of a horn toot but I actually feel some pride in my work ethic, it was enough to get this waiter trying his best to score me another job at a better place, where he told them straight up I'm a hard worker and worth the while to hire as a server. So I suppose I'm doing something right.

Y'all couldn't pay me enough to ever step foot in the kitchen as anything but a prep chef in a tight spot, though. No loving way, all of you chefs and cooks were born of something that Nietzsche's Abyss just spat the hell out and didn't let back in.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm sure there are healthy, happy, well-adjusted cooks somewhere. Ones without substance abuse problems or major psychological troubles.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Every cook is a masochist. Why else would we gladly work 60+ hours a week?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Not for the money, that's for drat sure. :)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I got out and I'm doing office work now. I'm still "training" but I finished the training program in a week when it usually takes a month or something (I'm also making as much now as what I did cooking). I miss it from time to time but holy poo poo getting off of work at 4pm and not being a sweaty, half-drunk mess is really doing wonders for me.

Someone said she was "sick" and was allowed to leave early today and we all know someone who's cut their hand open or gotten a second degree burn and still finished the shift. This poo poo is foreign to me, as is having employer-based healthcare.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god

For the pursuit of craft and tradition? Besides, cooking is fun. It isn't like we're cleaning blood and vomit out of subway tunnels.

You guys are pussies.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

infiniteguest posted:

For the pursuit of craft and tradition? Besides, cooking is fun. It isn't like we're cleaning blood and vomit out of subway tunnels.

You guys are pussies.

Glad I'm not the only one with this mindset. It sucks sometimes, but this is what makes me happy.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

infiniteguest posted:

For the pursuit of craft and tradition? Besides, cooking is fun.

Well yeah, I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't love it.

There is something satisfying about being able to ignore physical pain much better than everyone else. Sometimes I don't even notice that I've burned myself until the next day.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

There is something satisfying about being able to ignore physical pain much better than everyone else. Sometimes I don't even notice that I've burned myself until the next day.

Cuts don't happen until you start to juice lemons.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

In group therapy, (what? don't pretend you're surprised) I've learned to just not mention work stuff and to shut my mouth when anyone else does. When I talk about what I do (did) people either compare themselves and feel bad, or it turns into an intervention, which is pointless.

It's an alright life if you've got your eye on a future in the industry or if you're only doing it for awhile and then it's off to bigger and better things. But being a line cook your entire working life is not a fate I would wish on my worst enemy.

Which is why I'm getting out. I can't work 70 hour weeks, stay sane and have a family life. That seems to be kind of a "pick any two" situation. But I won't say I didn't love it while it lasted.

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010
I started my new job today. A seven hour shift in an office, and I got out at 5 PM. Guys, I didn't exactly have it bad at my old job at the hospital, I was paid something like 12$ an hour ($10 base, plus evening and weekend differentials), had employer health insurance, dental, retirement fund and paid earned time off (to the order of 4 hours per week worked).

But god drat if I didn't have to squat to the floor, or lift something heavy, or scald myself with steam from the steam table or the dish-machine, or literally smell a dying person covered in poo poo a single time today.

OFFICE JOBS, YOU GUYS.

e:

I have Saturday AND Sunday off of work WHAT IS THIS

bottles and cans fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 15, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

At least kitchen life isn't monotonous.

Now to drink all the beer because.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

bottles and cans posted:

I started my new job today. A seven hour shift in an office, and I got out at 5 PM. Guys, I didn't exactly have it bad at my old job at the hospital, I was paid something like 12$ an hour ($10 base, plus evening and weekend differentials), had employer health insurance, dental, retirement fund and paid earned time off (to the order of 4 hours per week worked).

But god drat if I didn't have to squat to the floor, or lift something heavy, or scald myself with steam from the steam table or the dish-machine, or literally smell a dying person covered in poo poo a single time today.

OFFICE JOBS, YOU GUYS.

e:

I have Saturday AND Sunday off of work WHAT IS THIS

I seriously think that office people should have to go through at least a year of cooking because watching people fail miserably while trying to tap keys on a computer or answering phones is pretty pathetic. Whenever someone asks me "how do you learn things so quick?" and I say "In my previous job if I didn't learn poo poo quick I'd either get fired, seriously maimed, or both", everyone goes real silent.

Office jobs forever.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

infiniteguest posted:

You guys are pussies.

No offense, but every time I hear this pulled out, it's usually from someone who's never worked outside the industry. Is that the case for you?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, if I count right there are 6 of us who left the kitchen for office work. That...That says something alright. Of course, my brother took the opposite route and loves it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, if I count right there are 6 of us who left the kitchen for office work. That...That says something alright. Of course, my brother took the opposite route and loves it.

I boomeranged a bit. Left the kitchen for computer repair, then came back when the job market fell apart. :p

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god
No. I went to college, worked a number of menial blue collar jobs, and spent some time working a cushy office job while freelancing in my artistic pursuits.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm in the 'I went to school for engineering and was making $40+/hour as a student working for the government and left that for a minimum wage line cook job' boat. Every once in a while I have a bad day at work now, and I think to myself 'remember working for the government, with 3 day weekends every other week and set hours and good money and easy days? Well, at least your current job doesn't loving suck like that one did.'

I am so broken. Cheffing 4 lyfe.

edit: Yesterday got an email from the chef of a catering company I contract for occasionally, asking me to come run one of the kitchens for an event for 4500 people. Woooo! Take that, days off from my normal job. I gots catering to do.

Naelyan fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 17, 2013

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wroughtirony posted:

What do you do now that's easier and how much do you make? I'm serious.

Because, to quote one of my role models, "I want to go to there."

there are a billion office jobs out there, with a baseline requirement of 'you know how to use microsoft word and excel, and can be there 9-5 and answer a phone'. I helped hire this girl recently for a client of mine, and our basic requirement were that she be smart, on top of things, personable, and know how to google poo poo and figure things out for herself. she does some data entry now (ie, take a company name, type it in to google, copy and paste address information into a spreadsheet), answer some phone calls, check e-mail boxes, set up contracts with caterers and event spaces (the other end of what you do now), and we're paying her $18/hr.

if you really wanna switch careers, just do it girl!

it's pretty boring though :/

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

mindphlux posted:

there are a billion office jobs out there, with a baseline requirement of 'you know how to use microsoft word and excel, and can be there 9-5 and answer a phone'. I helped hire this girl recently for a client of mine, and our basic requirement were that she be smart, on top of things, personable, and know how to google poo poo and figure things out for herself. she does some data entry now (ie, take a company name, type it in to google, copy and paste address information into a spreadsheet), answer some phone calls, check e-mail boxes, set up contracts with caterers and event spaces (the other end of what you do now), and we're paying her $18/hr.
I'm only making $15/hour seating people/working a cash register and I can do all that stuff. In fact, my prior resume experience is littered with it. And somehow this is the highest paying position I've ever had.

Get me out, stat.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I'm currently in the transition between hospo and teaching. Being Australia I can't ditch the kitchen work until Feb but I'd take being in front of 30 arsehole kids for 80 mins at a time over some of the head chef's I've worked under. Even though I'm not fully graduated I'm earning twice as much in a day as I can being a cook. It's been an excellent journey and I'm sure I'll miss the rush but at the same time weekends and a bucketload of holidays a year are certainly good

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

mindphlux posted:

if you really wanna switch careers, just do it girl!

it's pretty boring though :/

Yeah, I'm kind of hoping to land a job doing officey stuff someplace that does something that I actually care about and might have a future doing. The problem is a lot of the jobs like the one you described also inexplicably require a bachelors degree and three years office experience, but I've been told by quite a few people to ignore that and apply anyway if it's something I'm otherwise qualified for. I'm also looking for desk jobs with companies like Sysco where my experience is actually relevant.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Wroughtirony posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of hoping to land a job doing officey stuff someplace that does something that I actually care about and might have a future doing. The problem is a lot of the jobs like the one you described also inexplicably require a bachelors degree and three years office experience, but I've been told by quite a few people to ignore that and apply anyway if it's something I'm otherwise qualified for. I'm also looking for desk jobs with companies like Sysco where my experience is actually relevant.

I find that if you see a job you want, apply for it. It takes little time or effort to target a resume/cover letter to a specific job, especially at lower levels. The worst they can do is say no - you lose absolutely nothing by trying.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Understanding that this is a touchy subject, I would like some advice on tipping for catering delivery. I get catering delivered for work most Mondays and Tuesdays.

I have different vendors for Monday, but Tuesday is always Jimmy Johns. I've read that you should tip 15-20% for delivery, but this seems a little excessive considering that a) the store is 0.3 miles away and b) they don't deliver to the meeting or set anything up; I have to meet the deliveryman at the front door and load the bags onto my cart, so that I can wheel it over to the conference room and set it up myself. My workplace leaves gratuity to the discretion of the individual departments, but if the COO or accountants asked me, I'd be hard-pressed to justify choosing to pay an extra $48-64 of the department's money when me and another coworker are using our own time on setup.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Is it because your building has weird rules about letting delivery people into the place, and that's why you have to set it up yourself? Or is it that they're annoyed at never being left a decent tip, and don't feel like going out of their way for you? Or is it something else? If it's the first scenario, it's not the fault of the caterers that the building is being a butt. Leave them a tip. If it's the second scenario, call the catering manager, apologise for past mistakes, and promise to tip in future if they'll come help set up. If it's their company policy to not go further than getting you the food, and then gently caress off, ask the catering manager what to do, and they'll lead you right.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's that last thing. Do you mean I should ask their catering manager what tip is appropriate?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I'd say that's a good plan.

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

You are part of a long tradition
of needless self-sacrifice so that
dickbags can eat overpriced foie gras.
I have a desk job... In a restaurant.

reserve fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 18, 2013

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

reserve posted:

I have a desk job... In a restaurant.

Heretic.

And count me among the ranks of those seeking 'office jobs.' I'm growing tired of having my hard work undermined by a middle manager who can't do his job. ...wait a second.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Got a second interview set up Wednesday, so hooray for that. I'll goddamn shoot myself right then and there if they make me a backserver, though.

I guess I come from the opposite spectrum where years in an office job ruined me with depression and boredom, and being in this sort of industry has made me thrive instead.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Black August posted:

Got a second interview set up Wednesday, so hooray for that. I'll goddamn shoot myself right then and there if they make me a backserver, though.

Gotta start somewhere, and no better way to appreciate the intricacies of fine dining thank working as a backserver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Vegetable Melange posted:

Gotta start somewhere, and no better way to appreciate the intricacies of fine dining thank working as a backserver.

I've already done that though. I've been a busser, ran food, served water, got the bread, cleared dishes, seated people. I want to be a bloody goddamn actual server and speak with customers and make good tips, instead of scraping up $5 per waiter while they complain they ONLY made $100 that night.

• Locked thread