Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
The Japanese blood type thing is really unusual because it isn't rooted in traditional culture, blood types weren't even discovered until the 20th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Most of the countries make sense to me, but some of the East Asian and Eastern European ones do seem off - probably because they exhibit a mix of values, so a lot depends on operationalization and the way the different indicators were weighted. Japan should definitely not be where they are on the secular-rational scale, with their belief in poo poo like the importance of blood type.

But they also pride themselves on secular/irreligous values...

Japan's weird.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah I'd say the Japanese blood type personality stuff is fairly neutral when it comes to "secular/rational" vs TRADITION at least.

And it is technically secular :v:.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
It's just a fad that's gained too much of a cultural hold, probably largely because it has some pseudo-scientific overtones. It's still mostly the domain of gossiping schoolgirls (and housewives who never grew out of their schoolgirl attitude), however.

PrinceRandom posted:

Japan's weird.

No it's not, it's as logical/illogical stupid/great as any culture anywhere, and people's dismissive handwaving away an entire culture of 130 million people, the media and traditional culture of which is some of the most consumed in the world, as 'weird' and inherently beyond understand is stupid and insulting, and unfortunately far too common.

Edit: If you want to point fingers at unscientific parts of Japanese culture you'd be better off looking at traditional beliefs in Chinese medicine, etc.

Also I'm not saying I agree with Japan's place in the chart.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 17, 2013

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Haha yeah, I live in Korea and my first thought seeing that chart is that SK should be much lower on the Y-axis; I'd argue even lower than the US.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Why is Ireland not listed as being part of Catholic Europe?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Hedera Helix posted:

The ability to speak English makes them value self-expression more.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I know that most Japanese are non-religious, but what about Shinto? How seriously do they take Shinto over there? I guess it's more of a spirituality thing.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Donkwich posted:

I know that most Japanese are non-religious, but what about Shinto? How seriously do they take Shinto over there? I guess it's more of a spirituality thing.

Shinto is part of their culture, more than a religion, for most people, I'd say. There are some actual believers, but they are few in number.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Blood type was a big thing like phrenology. It is an early 20th/late 19th century pseudo-science and the Japanese latched onto it hardcore during the Meiji. It is a form of scientific racism.

Edit: Holy gently caress, I was wrong. It is a form of scientific racism that the Japanese latched onto hardcore in the 1970s. That is even worse.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I always thought that the Japanese blood type obsession came from the fact that they were homogenous and needed a way to feel like a special snowflake. I read somewhere that the blood type distribution is actually more diverse in Japan than it is in other countries, I'll need to see if I can find that source again.

Also Japan isn't exactly the most progressive place for race relations. There are still some bad comedy acts in Japan that use blackface and stereotypes as the joke.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Donkwich posted:

There was a BBC series run awhile ago called Around the world in 80 faiths, and from their trips into Japan, it seems like some rituals continue but there really isn't much devotion as much as a social event. It's on youtube if you wanna watch.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

quote:

Germany's peculiar history (after causing and losing two catastrophic World Wars

Only Germans still think they were the sole cause of WW1. Everyone else has realised it was a loving mess created by every single participant.

Phlegmish posted:

Most of the countries make sense to me, but some of the East Asian and Eastern European ones do seem off - probably because they exhibit a mix of values, so a lot depends on operationalization and the way the different indicators were weighted. Japan should definitely not be where they are on the secular-rational scale, with their belief in poo poo like the importance of blood type.

That's just the Japanese version of astrology.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Bloodnose posted:

The ability to speak English makes them value self-expression more.
Isn't that 'values map' based on self-surveys of the samples form that countries' populations? If it's wrong, then the nations' perception of itself is different from the actual reality. I'd certainly like to see how these self-reported values compare to thing like church attendance and the oppression minorities face (as expressed in violent attacks or other 'indexes' of marginalization).

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Donkwich posted:

Also Japan isn't exactly the most progressive place for race relations. There are still some bad comedy acts in Japan that use blackface and stereotypes as the joke.

Ah but they don't have a history of slavery so it's not really racist :geert:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
To bring things back to maps, here's a classic.

In real life:
1. Kenya is larger than France
2. Zimbabwe is larger than Germany
3. Cameroon is larger than Sweden
4. Cote D Ivoire is larger than Poland
5. The Central African Republic is larger than Ukraine
6. Guinea-Bissau is larger than Moldova

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
edit: this was a dumb post

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Japan seems pretty cut and dry conservative to me? :shrug: Sure it's maybe not quite the same as western Europe / USA conservatism but to claim it's totally different is ridiculous. The culture is (fairly) xenophobic, conformist, pro-corporation and enforces lovely gender roles. They're not religious in the sense of Christianity / Islam because monotheism never caught on there, not because they're rational supermen.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I really don't get those who actually take the Mercator-is-racist argument seriously. I seriously doubt that the reason the First World doesn't care about Africa is because it looks smaller on a map, and switching to the Gall-Peters isn't going to change that. I know SJW is a cliche, but taking 'cartographic imperialism' seriously seems a bit of a stretch.

e: Also I really don't need to see that West Wing clip again. I'd rather move to Greenland, the most important country in the world.

Donkwich fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 17, 2013

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Yeah, if you made the proportions realistic Europe probably wouldn't be large enough to make anything out.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
So instead Africa shouldn't be large enough to make anything out?

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Or you could use one of the many compromise projections that are actually meant to view the whole world with some accuracy and not a map designed for maritime navigation.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
edit: gently caress this is another bad post

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Nov 17, 2013

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Shbobdb posted:

Blood type was a big thing like phrenology. It is an early 20th/late 19th century pseudo-science and the Japanese latched onto it hardcore during the Meiji. It is a form of scientific racism.

Edit: Holy gently caress, I was wrong. It is a form of scientific racism that the Japanese latched onto hardcore in the 1970s. That is even worse.
I think it should be mentioned that it was first supported by the fuckers who thought Japan should own China though.

Riso posted:

That's just the Japanese version of astrology.
Except they also practice astrology. Which apparently caused a 25% drop in births in 1966 (and 30% more abortions), due to the belief that women born in that year would become strong-minded women that are a hindrance to their husband's occupation, and who might even kill them! I guess we'll see how widespread that belief is again in 2026. As to it just being a Japanese version of astrology, how many western countries sell products specifically targeted at certain star signs? (Horoscopes and other poo poo directly related to the superstition excluded.)

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I remember how when I was a boy, I read somewhere that while Canada is larger than the US, it's only by a comparatively small margin. I then took a look at the nearest map (which happened to be Mercator) and was very confused, because Canada is like way bigger than the States, it's right there on the map! :v:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Donkwich posted:

I think I posted this map in the D&D pictures thread before this thread was created, so it's probably more appropriate here.

This is a map of the contiguous lower 48 United States if its congressional districts were drawn using the shortest splitline algorithm, which is done by taking each district and splitting it in half (or roughly in half if there are an odd number of seats remaining) using the shortest line possible. Each district has the same number of voters.

This image appears to be broken for me. :(

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Hedera Helix posted:

I also like how Ethiopia is 'Islamic' and borderline South Asian, not African. :psyduck:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Fuschia tude posted:

I also like how Ethiopia is 'Islamic' and borderline South Asian, not African. :psyduck:
Well, Poland and Cyprus are in South Asia, it's a pretty inclusive group. :v:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, Poland and Cyprus are in South Asia, it's a pretty inclusive group. :v:

It makes sense, Poland wouldn't fit into the Catholic Europe, occupied by such zealous nations as France and the Czech Republic.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

cheerfullydrab posted:

In real life:
1. Kenya is larger than France
2. Zimbabwe is larger than Germany
3. Cameroon is larger than Sweden
4. Cote D Ivoire is larger than Poland
5. The Central African Republic is larger than Ukraine
6. Guinea-Bissau is larger than Moldova

Why is this so important? Kazakhstan is larger than Switzerland so therefore...? I wish other projections were in vogue too but the size of a country isn't useful for anything beyond comparing sizes of countries which is an irrelevant metric for most things that matter.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Russia is the most important country in the world!!

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

DrSunshine posted:

Russia is the most important country in the world!!

Actually we should all bow to the incredible grandness of the Pacific Ocean.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Anosmoman posted:

Why is this so important? Kazakhstan is larger than Switzerland so therefore...? I wish other projections were in vogue too but the size of a country isn't useful for anything beyond comparing sizes of countries which is an irrelevant metric for most things that matter.

Its political because Mercator projection is super distorted. The farther north/South you go from the equator, the bigger it is, which in turn makes europe and unites states look a lot bigger than what they actually are. Which in turn makes people belive their country much larger than it actually is, American/European/Russian exepcionalism, etc etc.

Mercator is still useful, but its kinda lovely for world projections.

Australia (actual size) Vs Greenland (Actual size)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well, it's hardly white people's fault that the North America and Europe are further away from the equator than other continents. Mercator is distorting and not to be used as the sole tool in education, but it's hardly biased in the way many people tend to insinuate.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

ElMaligno posted:

people believe their country much larger than it actually is =/= American/European/Russian exepcionalism, etc etc.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I hate that West Wing clip and the whole bs grandstanding of Arno Peters. However, if you think the Mercator is fully dead and buried you are wrong. People still do like the projection and I do believe it informs people's opinions about the size of countries. I'm not calling it racist or part of any kind of conspiracy, but its pernicious popularity is not a good thing.

Also all the countries on that list I posted of "--- is larger than ----" are of countries that are rather close in area, but don't seem at all on a Mercator map. It's much harder to make out Guinea-Bissau than Moldova. It wasn't just obvious and meaningless statements such as "The Atlantic Ocean is actually larger than Monaco".

edit: I do think centering the map on the Florence Meridian makes sense, in a "pretty maps" sort of way.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 17, 2013

thecolorpurple
Feb 6, 2013

Riso posted:

Only Germans still think they were the sole cause of WW1. Everyone else has realised it was a loving mess created by every single participant.

None of the big powers are blameless victims but no, the german government was quite obviously pushing for war, to the point that they shoved the Kaiser off onto a vacation because they feared he might listen to the Tsar and Poincaré's pleas for peace.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They also invaded a neutral country, terrorized its population and burned down its historical buildings for no good reason.

They were assholes in WWI, it's just that it pales in comparison to WWII.

Hedera Helix posted:

It's interesting to me that people automatically ask this question but not, say, why Britain isn't part of Protestant Europe.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 17, 2013

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

It's interesting to me that people automatically ask this question but not, say, why Britain isn't part of Protestant Europe.
Anglicanism is basically Catholicism without the Pope, so it doesn't really belong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

thecolorpurple posted:

None of the big powers are blameless victims but no, the german government was quite obviously pushing for war, to the point that they shoved the Kaiser off onto a vacation because they feared he might listen to the Tsar and Poincaré's pleas for peace.

Yes, that is completely different from the British politicians wanting to fight Germany and only looking for a convenient excuse. There was no real reason for Britain to join, the Belgian guarantee was practically all made up afterwards to look better.
At least the French where honest in their gently caress Germany approach.

quote:

Anglicanism is basically Catholicism without the Pope, so it doesn't really belong.

While Anglicans kept the trappings, the philosophy behind is quite protestant.