Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Daedo posted:

You know what, I'm actually ok with the show getting another (short) season because Season 3 was good, and made up for a lot of the shortcomings from the long drawn out first two. And more Holder is always a good thing.

Tell that to all the much, much better TV shows that never got a second, third, and now fourth chance. It's pretty loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So wait, something just hit me in all this. Next week, Always Sunny/The League have their finales. They just canceled the only show that was going to air anything new on the entirety of FXX until February (Legit). What in the gently caress?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

So wait, something just hit me in all this. Next week, Always Sunny/The League have their finales. They just canceled the only show that was going to air anything new on the entirety of FXX until February (Legit). What in the gently caress?

November sweeps are almost over, and February sweeps are next in line. TV watching in December ALWAYS falls and is full of repeats across the board. This is standard stuff.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It still seems crazy to me, even with the general US gap this time of year, that there is straight up no draw to this fledgeling network that's already having huge issues with market penetration.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Also because of the slot it took up it's still slotted in with the sports channels on my onscreen channel guide, far from the channels that are similar. It's a tiny thing but I have to take more time to seek it out.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Syrg Sapphire posted:

It still seems crazy to me, even with the general US gap this time of year, that there is straight up no draw to this fledgeling network that's already having huge issues with market penetration.

FXX was a good idea executed poorly and too quickly to boot. Since their shows all have smaller seasons I can't imagine it would have been that hard to program everything just on FX. Sure it would have been crowded but I don't think it's impossible.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Its a cable channel. Aside from the occasional prime time series, Friends and Simpsons reruns are the big draw.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also because of the slot it took up it's still slotted in with the sports channels on my onscreen channel guide, far from the channels that are similar. It's a tiny thing but I have to take more time to seek it out.

I'm sure there are plenty of people that avoid the sports section of their on screen guide like the plague (or just don't go to it if they're not looking for sports), so that may not really be a tiny thing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

If that's weird to you, give a look to the programming schedule for G4, which hasn't had any new content since it was announced that it was being replaced by the Esquire Network about six months ago, and usually consists of marathons of Web Soup reruns, a topical show that was cancelled 2 1/2 years ago.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

FXX was a good idea executed poorly and too quickly to boot. Since their shows all have smaller seasons I can't imagine it would have been that hard to program everything just on FX. Sure it would have been crowded but I don't think it's impossible.

FX has had lots of quality programming in the last few years, but I don't think it's ever had anything approaching what you'd call a crowded schedule. Count me among the people that don't understand why FXX exists. Aside from "Fox Soccer Channel didn't make enough money and we wanted to replace it with something that might," I guess.

Irish Joe posted:

Its a cable channel. Aside from the occasional prime time series, Friends and Simpsons reruns are the big draw.

Is The Simpsons really enough of a draw to get people to watch your cable channel in the year 2013 though? I guess my opinion is skewed because I think it's been a terrible show for a long time and haven't watched it in about a decade now, but aside from that, it's been syndicated since at least 1999-2000 or so, hasn't it? I could understand putting down big bucks to get it back then, but these days it's not as though Simpsons reruns are a tough thing to come by, and I don't feel like it lends itself to idle marathon viewing the way something like Law & Order does.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 16, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They canceled the plans to turn G4 into Esquire too, so who knows what it's doing now.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

raditts posted:

Is The Simpsons really enough of a draw to get people to watch your cable channel in the year 2013 though? I guess my opinion is skewed because I think it's been a terrible show for a long time and haven't watched it in about a decade now, but aside from that, it's been syndicated since at least 1999-2000 or so, hasn't it? I could understand putting down big bucks to get it back then, but these days it's not as though Simpsons reruns are a tough thing to come by, and I don't feel like it lends itself to idle marathon viewing the way something like Law & Order does.

This is technically the first time it's been syndicated. But local Fox stations have been allowed to air old seasons during local programming blocks since the mid-90s. I do wonder if syndicated Simpsons really is worth that kind of money, though.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Next week, Always Sunny/The League have their finales.

drat you, this made me believe I was wrong in thinking Sunny finished last week.

Talking of which, how good was this season? The best and most consistent for years in my view. All of the later seasons have had classics, but also quite a few mediocre episodes. This one was great all the way through. Pretty amazing that a show in its ninth year can pull that out of the bag.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Double post somehow..

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

hcreight posted:

This is technically the first time it's been syndicated. But local Fox stations have been allowed to air old seasons during local programming blocks since the mid-90s. I do wonder if syndicated Simpsons really is worth that kind of money, though.

I think in FX's mind, the big draw is getting the online rights.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I think in FX's mind, the big draw is getting the online rights.
What kind of monetization are they going to manage though?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

hcreight posted:

At this point you could run The Simpsons 24 hours a day in two repeating 12 hour blocks (or three 8-hour blocks) and have enough programming to fill your schedule for about a month. Lately I've been just playing Simpsons DVDs in the background all day while I do stuff around the house and it's actually really enjoyable. I couldn't say the same for any other show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Aphrodite posted:

They canceled the plans to turn G4 into Esquire too, so who knows what it's doing now.

I know, that's my point. G4 wiped out what original programming it had left months in advance only for them not to replace the channel after all, but it doesn't seem as though they plan on putting anything back in now that it's not going anywhere.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Just wanted to add to the growing chorus praising Les Revenants, I'm about halfway through it now and its amazing. Totally unique-feeling take on the whole undead thing, from all the things I've seen over the years at any rate.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm sure there aren't a lot of TVIV-ers watching "Extreme Cheapskates" on TLC, but I had it on in the background today while I was cleaning my apartment and doing other little chores around the house.

And while most things just made me go "uhh...that's absurd" or "that's gross," only one actually made me really angry.

A lady said she BURNS HER TRASH. Paper, cardboard, and even PLASTIC. Her family, including her small chiuld, mentioned how the smoke smells bad and makes them feel sick, and the neighbors complain about the smell, too.

Jesus Christ, lady, no! That's not just illegal, but horribly unsafe! If you're going to keep doing it, at least only do it when your son isn't home so at least he can avoid the lung cancer.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm sure there aren't a lot of TVIV-ers watching "Extreme Cheapskates" on TLC, but I had it on in the background today while I was cleaning my apartment and doing other little chores around the house.

And while most things just made me go "uhh...that's absurd" or "that's gross," only one actually made me really angry.

A lady said she BURNS HER TRASH. Paper, cardboard, and even PLASTIC. Her family, including her small chiuld, mentioned how the smoke smells bad and makes them feel sick, and the neighbors complain about the smell, too.

Jesus Christ, lady, no! That's not just illegal, but horribly unsafe! If you're going to keep doing it, at least only do it when your son isn't home so at least he can avoid the lung cancer.

I watched the first season in a day during a Netflix binge. I say it's more "funny" than gross. Like hoarders but I feel less bad for laughing. I mean, the woman was a millionaire. :psyduck:

I wonder if my dad were to watch the show- if he were to get ideas, or be disgusted.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cactus posted:

Just wanted to add to the growing chorus praising Les Revenants, I'm about halfway through it now and its amazing. Totally unique-feeling take on the whole undead thing, from all the things I've seen over the years at any rate.

Amazing soundtrack, too (by Mogwai). Really fantastic show all around. If you like it, also check out the BBC show In the Flesh (it's just 3 episodes, but there's a second season coming).

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

precision posted:

Amazing soundtrack, too (by Mogwai). Really fantastic show all around. If you like it, also check out the BBC show In the Flesh (it's just 3 episodes, but there's a second season coming).

Thanks for reminding me about this, I will.

E: and yes! The scratchy creepy theme that accompanies Victor is really unnerving I love it.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 17, 2013

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't see what the problem is. It's how you get a nice smokey smell in the house and ultimately make stars.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Lycus posted:

I don't see what the problem is. It's how you get a nice smokey smell in the house and ultimately make stars.

I love you. :allears:

Also...that doesn't sound right, but I don't know enough about stars to dispute you.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If it makes you feel any better, Extreme Cheapskates is really obviously scripted even by TLC reality standards. Still funny as heck with some great cringe, they threw a few eps up on Netflix and I don't regret watching it at all.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

How does burning trash even save money? Do they pay separate fees for the garbage men over there?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, some places charge you a garbage pickup fee.

I did not however realize it was optional, I thought that even if you didn't put garbage out you had to pay the fee.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

precision posted:

Yeah, some places charge you a garbage pickup fee.

I did not however realize it was optional, I thought that even if you didn't put garbage out you had to pay the fee.

Well, if you don't pay, they don't come pick up your garbage.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Here's the Breaking Bad alternative ending off the blu-ray boxset out soon.

I actually like this one a lot more and think it sums up the series a lot better than the conclusion we got.

Judge it yourself though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kZivVxB3vU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
http://jezebel.com/twin-peaks-inspi...dium=socialflow

A line of Twin Peaks-inspired dresses is for sale, apparently. I have no words.

PriorMarcus posted:

I actually like this one a lot more and think it sums up the series a lot better than the conclusion we got.

Oh my God.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

PriorMarcus posted:

Ahahaha oh my god, I was ready to write this off as a dumb fan edit then I realized that Bryan and Jane actually shot a whole new scene just for this.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

Those glorious bastards. 6 years of joking and they finally did it.

"He looked like the guy from The Shield!" :laffo:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PriorMarcus posted:

Oh. My. loving. God. AMAZING.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Ugh, I need to have more self control to stay off of show wikis while watching something for the first time. Just got through the excellent episode of Supernatural where the Croatoan virus infects a town, and I had to see if that was a one-off or if it pops up again later, and I end up spoiling something a few seasons down. Really enjoying the show by the way, it feels like a mix of the X-Files and Angel in a way. Even if Jared Padalecki's "serious acting" mostly is him looking constipated.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 17, 2013

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

hope and vaseline posted:

Ugh, I need to have more self control to stay off of show wikis while watching something for the first time. Just got through the excellent episode of Supernatural where the Croatoan virus infects a town, and I had to see if that was a one-off or if it pops up again later, and I end up spoiling something a few seasons down. Really enjoying the show by the way, it feels like a mix of the X-Files and Angel in a way. Even if Jared Padalecki's "serious acting" mostly is him looking constipated.

We're doing a rewatch of Supernatural. What a great show. It really picks up in season 2, but my favorite stuff doesn't hit the fan until season 4.

Who can't get into classic rock, killing demons and metahumor?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah it's really doing a solid job of working on the established MOTW episodes of the first season and building up a mythology as well as setting up character arcs. Though the general consensus is to stop after season 5?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Yeah it's really doing a solid job of working on the established MOTW episodes of the first season and building up a mythology as well as setting up character arcs. Though the general consensus is to stop after season 5?

I'm honestly not sure. I forget when I stopped watching. I intend to try and make it all the way to current through this watch through, however I remember I stopped when the Leviathans were introduced, because that was stupid.

In our current watch through, I'm just chomping at the bit waiting to get to season 4 for some sweet Castiel action. I think that's when the meta jokes really start kicking in as well, though it's been years since I've seen it, so I don't recall.

edit: spoiling old Supernatural stuff since guy a few posts up is on his first trip through it.

edit 2: poo poo, you're the same person. Don't read those spoilers. I haven't had enough coffee this morning.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Yes, after Season Five (the originally intended ending) it spins its wheels for several seasons only to start getting good again by the time Season Nine starts, however by that points you've had to watch nearly four seasons of worthless stories and the exact same character beats just to get to something which is almost, but not quite, as good as the heights of 2 - 5.

People are going to tell you that the later seasons have some really good individual episodes, and they do, but they are basically just clever rewritings of equally as good episodes from the superior seasons and really aren't worth dragging yourself through poo poo for.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
As far as I'm concerned, if you enjoyed watching Sam & Dean saving people and hunting things for five seasons, you'll continue to enjoy it for the next four.

Try to think of post-season 5 Supernatural as the bonus material on a DVD. You got what you paid for with the main content - the rest is just a nice treat.

And there really are some of the best episodes of the entire series nestled in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Yeah, its basically just 91 episodes of bonus material, I can't imagine why that would seem like a tedious slog with little reward.

Even the good episodes are just remakes of early triumphs.

The brothers relationship basically returns to square one every episode because no one knows how to move it forward, so it retroactively makes the journey they took over the first five seasons pointless.

On top of that the show follows the exact same story beats with slight variations - one of the brothers is fated to die, one of the brothers is trapped somewhere, one of the brothers settled down and changed, one of the brothers has a new friend who gets in the way, etc, etc.

I really don't recommend anyone carries on past Season Five. It's just not worth the time, unless you've got limitless amounts of it you'd be better served watching a new series and having new experiences rather than reheated ones from the much better first half of the show.

• Locked thread