Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guni
Mar 11, 2010
On the flip side, as someone who had ridden dirtbikes for ages before getting my manual license, I was terrible at driving a manual for the first couple of hours. It's all about practice, practice, practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The only advice I have is to ride the clutch like you hate it and you'll almost be riding it enough.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
On the second riding day of mine, we rode around in a huge rectangle shifting up to third on the long sides and down to second on the short sides, over and over and over. It was pretty fun, but it was also great shifting practice, and I really got the hang of using the left foot and the left hand together. I felt like a real motorcyclist!

Thinking back on all the MSF stuff now, it seems like it would be really boring to do all that stuff, but on the other hand, I have a little 250 MSF bike myself and I have a ton of fun on it.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Finished the second day today and everyone in the class passed the tests. I had to put a foot down in the box but I had been doing fine earlier in the day so the instructors didn't make a big deal out of it. I felt much more comfortable shifting today, didn't stall once.

If I do decide to get a bike after this I would definitely look into taking more of the MSF classes, all 4 of my instructors were great.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

tofes posted:

If I do decide to get a bike after this I would definitely look into taking more of the MSF classes,

I think that's how everyone feels afterwards. Like "wow, this is only the start, I need way more practice before I go out on the road." I spent a couple of days just puttering around the neighborhood and the nearest big parking lot, then a week or so of just going couple of miles down to the lake and back getting used to keeping up with traffic, then started actually riding to places on errands and things.

Your confidence will rise dramatically after just a few days on the road, which is great, but it's also something you really need to watch out for because your confidence in your abilities increases a lot faster than the abilities themselves. That's one of the hardest but also most important things to keep in check when you're starting out. (Well, always, but especially in the first six months to a year when accidents are the most likely).

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HiggsBoson81 posted:

Experience on a manual car isn't really that useful, or it wasn't for me. I've driven a manual for 15 years and all that did was have me trying to never use the friction point to control the power to the rear wheel because that's not a thing you should do in a car.

It's a practice thing no matter what your background I think, it'll get easier. The second day for us had a lot more time on the bikes and that helped a lot for me.

A little OT, but as someone who's very comfortable riding bikes but wants to learn to drive a manual car, any tips?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

A little OT, but as someone who's very comfortable riding bikes but wants to learn to drive a manual car, any tips?

Figure out where the friction point is, figure you're going to slip the clutch for 1-2 seconds when starting out in first, then 0-1 second for every other gear shift. After that, take your foot off of the clutch pedal and keep on truckin'.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Figure out where the friction point is, figure you're going to slip the clutch for 1-2 seconds when starting out in first, then 0-1 second for every other gear shift. After that, take your foot off of the clutch pedal and keep on truckin'.

Basically this, the main difference is that you want your foot off the clutch as quickly as possible while still shifting smoothly, as any amount of riding the clutch to control your speed is going to burn it out a lot faster than normal(not that it's a huge deal when you're learning, you just don't want to develop a habit.) Otherwise it's a lot like a bike, learn where the friction point is and shift points and work the clutch/throttle to shift. Just driving a manual around isn't a big deal other than maybe hill starts, but even that's easier in a car as you can use the e-brake with an otherwise idle hand while you're getting used to it. The tricky part is learning to down shift smoothly or heel-toe when braking for a corner, but that's pretty much irrelevant unless you want to autocross or race.

Also don't drive around with your foot resting on the clutch.

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER
Just passed my msf, woooo! That u-box is no joke! I definitely need more practice before i start commuting with it, though

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009
I decided to pass my MSF equivalent here in Canada (Quebec) because I can't stop thinking about how much riding bikes is awesome.

The painful process here to ride a biek is pretty long because, in order :
- You need to already have a car permit
- You need to get theoratical lessons from a certified driving school
- You need to pass a theoratical exam at the SAAQ (société de l'assurance automobile du Québec)

Having done this, you'll have the right to do :
- an obligatory MSF style class with a certified driving school
- a four hour group ride on the road with a certified driving school

Then you can pass your practical exam at the SAAQ which will get you a learner's permit for 11 months.
You cannot drive by your own with one, which means you need someone to come to your place to accompany you if you want to ride.

After those 11 months, you pass one last road exam at the SAAQ, which will get you your full licence.

:suicide:

I always had an interest in bike growing up (thanks uncle for driving me to the go-cart track on your kawasaki sport tourer :swoon: when I was 14 yo.)
and decided to pay myself the class as a graduation gift to myself. To help me out, my uncle lent me a :krad: shoei helmet and longass leather gloves.
I wore thick jeans and a jean jacket, which were really hot for the weather that we had during the weekend.

The bikes were pretty beat down but had a nice selection of different type of rides (Buell Blasts, CBR125, one CRB250, two 80s nighthawks, two boulevards and some other random UJMs). I hoped on a white CBR125 when they asked us to chose a bike.

Most of the class had zero experience with bikes. I was pretty lucky in having driven my friend's CR125 dirtbike to do the firsts few puttering around exercises.
The teachers (two guys) were super chill and had great explanations/demonstrations on how to do the manœuvres around the parking lot, which was big
enough to fit all the MSF tests in a circuit. All of the exercices involved low speed riding, and an excrutiating hard (at first :3:), slow slalom around cones to teach us about clutch control. It was a pretty awesome feeling going from turning too wide from the cones to counterweighting with almost all my bodyweight off the seat like some kind of balancing feat. Scraping the pegs of the Boulevard during the circle exercise was almost as fun.

On the second day they showed us about emergency breaking in a straight line and in a curve. They encouraged us to play with varying degrees of front brake to check out the effect it had on the different bikes. Later they would just watch us ride around it and give tips and private lessons to the students that still had trouble with the low speed exercise.

At the end of the second day, the teachers booked the students that they thought were good enough to do the road ride. About half the class was selected for the group ride, me included.

On the group ride day, I was actually the only one to show up, which meant that I got a private ride along the waterfront with the two teachers and I chose the nicest boulevard (its all they use for the group rides). After puttering around they felt I was doing pretty good so we did some mixed city/highway roads to show me different settings. I was kinda nervous at first, but they did a great job at sweeping for the traffic and making sure no car would get us split or turn into me. The highway was terrifying in its own kind of way, mainly because my helmet was kinda small and kept moving upward on my head which distracted me a lot. Holy poo poo that wind.

I passed the SAAQ practical exam later in the week (the lot exercices). I was pretty confident with my riding and did great on the pos nighthawk that I used for it. Aced the test, even though I thought I did badly on the emergency breaking because the bike just took forever to come to a stop.

Now I have to way 11 months before I get to ride again, because its almost winter, I don't know anyone who rides and I don't own a bike, yet :( .

TL/DR : Bikes are way too much fun.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If your helmet is moving and you had the strap even remotely cinched down right, the helmet isn't too small, it's too big. Generally you know a helmet is too small when you literally cannot cram your noggin in it at all. For future reference, a new helmet should be snug almost to the point of being painful, so when it breaks in it won't wiggle excessively.

Also, guys, don't sweat the U-box. I've been riding something like 8 years now and I don't think I could do it flawlessly. On real streets no one cares if you feel you have to drag a leg to pull a U-turn.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The helmet rule I've heard a few times is that if you grab the chin bar and forcefully yank it up and down, your head should move along with it, no slipping.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Grimarest posted:

Now I have to way 11 months before I get to ride again, because its almost winter, I don't know anyone who rides and I don't own a bike, yet :( .

That seems rather counterintuitive--wouldn't you want riders out practicing? Especially with all the training you receive, I would imagine that you'd be alright out on your own, even if it was a probationary license to start on. If new riders (basically) don't get to ride for the next 11 months, I doubt most would even remember what the clutch is by the time they get on a bike again. :confused:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

That seems rather counterintuitive--wouldn't you want riders out practicing? Especially with all the training you receive, I would imagine that you'd be alright out on your own, even if it was a probationary license to start on. If new riders (basically) don't get to ride for the next 11 months, I doubt most would even remember what the clutch is by the time they get on a bike again. :confused:

It's the French Canadian way!

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

OSU_Matthew posted:

It comes back pretty quickly though. Like riding a bike! :haw:

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

for sale posted:

Did my first day of msf today, too. I feel like an idiot because I have no experience with stick shift anything and I kept stalling out in first and braking because I didn't "get" clutch control for the first hour or two. Also, I might be wrong but as a guy over six feet i'm not sure if the only ninja 250 on the lot was the best fit. Here's hoping tomorrow things will fall into place more, since I really did enjoy the riding part!

As a fellow person over 6ft tall let me tell you one thing: gently caress the Honda Rebel 250. The ninja isn't any better either. 250cc bikes can all get stuffed.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Digital_Jesus posted:

As a fellow person over 6ft tall let me tell you one thing: gently caress the Honda Rebel 250. The ninja isn't any better either. 250cc bikes can all get stuffed.

Dude, gently caress 6 foot. Unless you're maxing out at about 5'1 and 110 lbs, Japanese 250 cruisers are just awful. Having ridden both a Rebel and the suzuki competitor (GZ250?), they might as well be tricycles. Horrible ergos, horrible brakes, no power, no ability to handle, nothing. They're just bad at everything.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

The helmet rule I've heard a few times is that if you grab the chin bar and forcefully yank it up and down, your head should move along with it, no slipping.
I think this is not a great test because I've tried on helmets that are clearly too small for me (pinching my head in the forehead and lower rear, and chinstrap cutting into my throat) and I was still able to do that. It's pretty subjective how you interpret the ease with which you can rotate the helmet like that. You muscle it enough and it'll rotate. A better test is the amount of play you get in the cheeks when you shake your head, I think.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Digital_Jesus posted:

I'm 6'1 190 lbs and I fit comfortably on my Ninja. I will admit most other bikes I've sat on have been more comfortable, but I've never had a problem on the lil 'ja, even on 300 mile days.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Digital_Jesus posted:

Agreed on both the Rebel and the Ninja, especially if you are long leg/short torso body type. However I have sat on a CBR250R and the ergos are much better for 6 footers.

No shame in getting a foot ready to put down when U-turning. I do most of the time on my 550lb cruiser, my 260lb dual sport...not so much. Sure it looks cooler without, but how cool would it look if you dumped your bike, and how pissed would you be because it could have been easily avoided?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Digital_Jesus posted:

Buy a dual sport!:eng101:

I'm personally 6'4" and both the Yamaha TW200/Suzuki DRZ250 fit like a glove.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Already own a GSX-R600. gently caress the haters ride supersports errday. :smug:

hot sauce posted:

I'm 6'1 190 lbs and I fit comfortably on my Ninja. I will admit most other bikes I've sat on have been more comfortable, but I've never had a problem on the lil 'ja, even on 300 mile days.

6'4" 275lbs. 250ccs and I don't jive real well. Sitting on the ninja I'm comfortable enough but it is sloooooooooooooow.

e: I mean don't get me wrong. Fresh out the MSF ride whatever you're comfortable on. 250 bikes just feel like I may as well be on a scooter and out of all the bikes I rode before I purchased I enjoyed the suzuki the most.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 19, 2013

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

Buy a dual sport!:eng101:

I'm personally 6'4" and both the Yamaha TW200/Suzuki DRZ250 fit like a glove.

Yeah, this. I'm 6'1" and my XLR250 fits me perfectly. I was teaching my friend (5'10"?) how to ride it and he couldn't flatfoot it.

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER
How did all of you like those lower CC dualsports? I've been looking for a bigger dualsport because i've heard that 200-250 CCs will get outgrown very quickly.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

for sale posted:

How did all of you like those lower CC dualsports? I've been looking for a bigger dualsport because i've heard that 200-250 CCs will get outgrown very quickly.

My first bike was a ninja 250, my current and probably largest bike is a 600cc. The difference is literally night and day in terms of pickup and traveling on streets, but my 250 was light as a chicken feather. I would describe it from memory as riding a mountain bike in comparison in terms of maneuverability.

If you don't travel often above 70 mph, a 250 is literally as fast as you NEED to go, but I do feel a little bit safer having the extra zoom power to avoid other vehicles on my 250. A 250 feels super responsive steering-wise, but not so much on the throttle. Although I feel perfectly safe taking hard turns on the 600, so...

I would say that for street riding, it is really hard to go back down to a 250 (I had to for a few weeks while my 600 was being repaired after an accident on the track), but you quickly get used to it all again. Once I got my 600 back I breathed a sigh of relief, however.

I couldn't imagine being on a literbike for anything other than track racing, though. Riding one around town must feel like you're a perfectly uninjured dude being forced to walk on crutches. What a waste.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 21, 2013

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

for sale posted:

It all depends on where you're riding it. If that dual-sport is really a "high ground clearance road bike", then 250cc may feel very constrained after a while. It might still feel great for riding in the city, due to being light and nimble, but if you're just keeping it for urban riding, get a scooter! They're ten times better for weaving through traffic and cutting down alleys. No, for the most part, you'll want to jump up above 250cc pretty quickly.

On the other hand, riding a durable, lightweight 250cc dual-sport off-road is awesome, because when you fall off (and you will fall off), you have to pick up your motorcycle from where it fell. And picking up a 250cc dual-sport ten times in one day leaves you feeling very different from picking up a 800cc dual-sport ten times in one day. Charley and Ewan needed those huge 1200cc bikes to carry all their video equipment for The Long Way Round, but for faffing about in the wildness on the weekends, smaller is better.

Also keep in mind that "go bigger than 250cc" doesn't automatically mean "get a 1000cc superbike". My first non-scooter motorcycle was a 650cc Suzuki SV, I loved it, loaded it down with luggage and rode it on a 4000 mile road trip over the course of two weeks, had a blast, and still own it. It'll break 100 mph and bit more, but that's fast enough for me. And it's a hell of a lot lighter than the freakin' Gixxer battleships I sat on at the dealership.

As always, YMMV, and to each his own. Some people love the big bikes, and more power to 'em. Some people spend their whole life on a tiny 250cc bike, and more power to them too. Try to ride what you love and to love what you ride.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Drifter posted:

My first bike was a ninja 250, my current and probably largest bike is a 600cc. The difference is literally night and day in terms of pickup and traveling on streets, but my 250 was light as a chicken feather. I would describe it from memory as riding a mountain bike in comparison in terms of maneuverability.

I recently got my second bike, a street triple. I rode my ninja 250 around last weekend to get some fresh gas in the carbs and the weight/handling difference is insane, it's unbelievable that 40lbs can feel so much. Of course the power difference was stark, and quite unsettling at first. I am so glad I started on the 250, I'd never have got used to wringing out a bike without it, nevermind how my clumsy throttle control would have cost me on a 650.

astropika fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 21, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

astropika posted:

I recently got my second bike, a street triple. I rode my ninja 250 around last weekend to get some fresh gas in the carbs and the weight/handling difference is insane, it's unbelievable that 40lbs can feel so much. Of course the power difference was stark, and quite unsettling at first. I am so glad I started on the 250, I'd never have got used to wringing out a bike without it, nevermind how my clumsy throttle control would have cost me on a 650.

Oh absolutely. I think getting the 250 ninja as my first bike was the best decision I ever made (aside from ATGATT). I couldn't have learned the elements of control as effectively, comfortably, or as quickly on anything larger.

I guess my next best decision was choosing to save all my high speed bike shenanigans for the track instead of city streets. Track classes and track days are great. :allears:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

for sale posted:

Everyone else has already basically answered this, but my two cents is that everyone should own one, beginner or no. If you live in they city, they are stupidly fun, and wonderfully agile for regular commuting. A 250 will get you up to speed just fine, and the lighter weight just feels like a more natural mesh of man and machine.

The main reason I upgraded to a KLR 650 is that getting on the highway was an untenable proposition on my Nighthawk 450, what with the wind and lack of capacity beyond 70, and I really want to go touring. Not to mention that dual sports are really just the ultimate go-anywhere do-anything bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

astropika posted:

That's cause the weight difference is around 100 pounds between the 250 and the 675.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Z3n posted:

That's cause the weight difference is around 100 pounds between the 250 and the 675.

Everything I see says the ex250j has a curb weight of 370-375lbs, for the street triple r I'm seeing 415-426. Dry weight I'm seeing 333 or so for the ninja and 368 for the triumph, I'm not sure how a manufacturer would fluff dry weight without outright lying.

Unfortunately I don't have scales to measure them.

edit: I mean, it is an aluminium frame vs a steel one, it doesn't seem that far fetched.

astropika fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 22, 2013

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Teaching my neighbor/co-worker the basics of riding on my XLR250, in preparation for his trip to Vietnam later this month. He's planning to rent Minsks (125cc two-stroke Russian dual-sports) with his friend, which actually mirrors my own introduction to motorcycling, albeit I had a fair bit of experience on 4-speed 125cc step-throughs previously.

Got him fairly comfortable with starting out in first/second/putting his feet up at our apartment complex, then took him over to a nearby industrial park and let him practice third, turns, and figure-8's. Was wet so I decided not to have him try emergency stops that time. What would you guys recommend I teach him next?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Teaching my neighbor/co-worker the basics of riding on my XLR250, in preparation for his trip to Vietnam later this month. He's planning to rent Minsks (125cc two-stroke Russian dual-sports) with his friend, which actually mirrors my own introduction to motorcycling, albeit I had a fair bit of experience on 4-speed 125cc step-throughs previously.

Got him fairly comfortable with starting out in first/second/putting his feet up at our apartment complex, then took him over to a nearby industrial park and let him practice third, turns, and figure-8's. Was wet so I decided not to have him try emergency stops that time. What would you guys recommend I teach him next?

Decreasing radius turn if you've got some chalk. Threshold braking if you can and feel ok about the bike getting dumped. What to do if the front or back brake locks up. (get off the front and reapply, the back keep it locked if you're on a "good" surface, if it's a slippery surface like dirt or gravel you might get away with releasing the rear and reapplying.)

Practice keeping his eyes constantly looking around and guessing where the next threat will come from. Stress not target fixating.

I can't think of anything else right now, read through though I know I've posted the steps of a few exercises in here.

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER
So I ended up getting a KLR 650 for really cheap after plenty of nailbiting between high and low CCs. After reading the comments I probably should have gone lower CC since i'm not planning on freeways any time soon, but overall i'm still satisfied with my choice. The one I got is pretty beat up, but it's mechanically sound and good to know that i'll be investing money in something that will last for a long time. That DMV MSF form can't come soon enough, I am jumping out of my goddamn skin to romp on that thing.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

for sale posted:

So I ended up getting a KLR 650 for really cheap after plenty of nailbiting between high and low CCs. After reading the comments I probably should have gone lower CC since i'm not planning on freeways any time soon, but overall i'm still satisfied with my choice. The one I got is pretty beat up, but it's mechanically sound and good to know that i'll be investing money in something that will last for a long time. That DMV MSF form can't come soon enough, I am jumping out of my goddamn skin to romp on that thing.

You've made the best of all possible decisions.

KLR 650 by camerazn, on Flickr

Tweetybird/Tractor HOOOOOOOOOOO!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
As usual, I'm going to suggest the V-Star 250 as a beginning bike for tall riders. I'm barely 6' and loved the fit. Plenty of power for highway speeds and acceleration. They finally but better bars on it too.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Pope Mobile posted:

As usual, I'm going to suggest the V-Star 250 as a beginning bike for tall riders. I'm barely 6' and loved the fit. Plenty of power for highway speeds and acceleration. They finally but better bars on it too.

Unless you weigh more than 150#s in which case get a CBR500R or an SV650. Or a Ninja500, or anything that won't feel like a two-wheeled lawn mower.

Seriously as a 6'4" guy at 270lbs this is how I feel on any 250:

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 5, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Saying you're too heavy for a 250 is bullshit. I used to believe it because it seems to make sense, then I rode my friend home from work on my 250 cause it was all I had. We weigh 330 combined and aside from having to rev it at 6k instead of 5k to get it going, the motor didn't seem to notice the extra weight.

Now the suspension...

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
A water-cooled Ninja 250 is one thing, an air-cooled Rebel or V-Star 250 is another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Indeed, i thought that's what was being discussed. I rode a Rebel around the block when looking for my first bike and the handlebars hit my knees.

• Locked thread