Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Coding/wordpress noob here, couple questions I hope someone can help me out with.

1. I'm trying to stick a oversized banner into my wordpress theme but it keeps automatically scaling it to the "recommended" 300x150 dimension instead of the 950x150 I want. Can someone tell me if there's anyway to override that?

2. I'm using a wordpress form as a website basically, I was wondering if it's possible to make a wordpress "page" a "contact form" which has a couple fill-in boxes, one being email and content with the ability to hit "send"

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
I'm putting together a website for my wife. She's looking for a way to have people be able to fill out a huge form and then submit it to her to evaluate. (Basically, this is a telemedicine-type thing.)

However, one large part of the form is what these people have access to in terms of drugs and equipment. It seems silly to fill that out multiple times, since it's not likely to change much.

Does anyone know of a contact form plugin that will remember defaults on a per-user basis, so they could fill out the form once, save that stuff as a default, and then have it be there for each time they go to fill the form out?

My other thought was to have it be two separate forms, and use something like this:
http://wordpress.org/plugins/contact-form-7-to-database-extension/faq/

to e-mail her the more static info. While I can get that to show me the user's most recent form, I can't get it to e-mail that with the second form (using http://contactform7.com/ as the form manager).

Am I missing something, or should I just have the one form have a specific subject and have her file those in e-mail to refer back to?

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!

lol internet. posted:

I was wondering if it's possible to make a wordpress "page" a "contact form" which has a couple fill-in boxes, one being email and content with the ability to hit "send"

Contact Form 7

Gravity Forms is pretty powerful, and I'd be surprised to find out that it doesn't do what you want. The same goes for Wufoo. Neither is free, but Gravity Forms is a great deal at $39 for a personal license. Wufoo charges monthly, which probably isn't ideal for you, but I prefer Gravity Forms, anyway.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Gravity Forms is totally worth the price of admission, and the Devs are quite helpful. I've used it on a few sites and ran into a few issues that they were more than happy to fix.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

At work we are setting up a php file for backing up entire sites. Is there any good procedures to zip up an entire Wordpress folder? I am using a snippet found on Stackoverflow that works for any basic php site. But when doing it in Wordpress it gets to WP-cron.php and just stops working. This is the code being used:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1334613/how-to-recursively-zip-a-directory-in-php

PHP code:
function Zip($source, $destination)
{
    if (!extension_loaded('zip') || !file_exists($source)) {
        return false;
    }

$zip = new ZipArchive();
    if (!$zip->open($destination, ZIPARCHIVE::CREATE)) {
        return false;
    }

$source = str_replace('\\', '/', realpath($source));

if (is_dir($source) === true)
    {
        $files = new RecursiveIteratorIterator(new RecursiveDirectoryIterator($source), RecursiveIteratorIterator::SELF_FIRST);

foreach ($files as $file)
        {
            $file = str_replace('\\', '/', $file);

// Ignore "." and ".." folders
            if( in_array(substr($file, strrpos($file, '/')+1), array('.', '..')) )
                continue;

$file = realpath($file);

if (is_dir($file) === true)
            {
                $zip->addEmptyDir(str_replace($source . '/', '', $file . '/'));
            }
            else if (is_file($file) === true)
            {
                $zip->addFromString(str_replace($source . '/', '', $file), file_get_contents($file));
            }
        }
    }
    else if (is_file($source) === true)
    {
        $zip->addFromString(basename($source), file_get_contents($source));
    }

return $zip->close();
}

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 15, 2013

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yikes, any reason you are doing that with PHP? A Plugin?

I've had the best success with a cron job, that way you can zip the directory and grab a SQL snapshot if need be.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

I was looking around at wordpress management solutions -- have you checked out wp-cli? It appears to cover some permutation of this.

In any case apache is the wrongish place to do this, we processes are meant to be used like cheap hookers -- hit it hard and fast and try not to catch anything.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

wretched_gavek posted:

The security issues are most likely plugin related. A lot of wordpress security concerns can come from holes generated by installed plugins. The first step I would take is to look into the plugins you have installed and see if there are any know security issues. Secondly I would recommend looking at solutions on https://www.projecthoneypot.org/. There are a couple of black list plugins there than can track what known malicious ip's are coming to your site. You might be shocked to see how many times a day you get hit.

I have seen these attacks on sites sky rocket in the last few months for my clients. The only thing I can figure is recent updates to google search algorithms has made link spammers desperate.

As for the tables and images breaking, it sounds like your theme is updating and over writing your content due to no child theme being set up.

Thanks for your response. I basically upgraded him, removed all plugins (he wasn't using them anyway), except for one which was a carousel thinger which I ended up hand-coding from scratch. Hasn't had a problem since (knock wood).

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Any WooCommerce people in here? Having a hell of a time with a site.

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!
I'm trying to build a front page that has only posts from this week. This part, I can do.

Then, I want to show all previous posts, starting on page 2. This is the part I'm having trouble with. What it does right now is show this week's posts on page 1, and starts page 2 right where it otherwise would given my settings, with the 11th post. Here's what I've got so far:

code:
	<?php 

/* LOOPS */

$week = date('W');
		$year = date('Y');
		$my_query = new WP_Query( 'year=' . $year . '&w=' . $week );

/* FRONT PAGE LOOP */

if ( !is_paged() ) {

$post_num = 1;

while ( $my_query->have_posts() ) : $my_query->the_post();

$num_comments = get_comments_number(); ?>

<a class="index_post post" href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>" rel="bookmark" title="<?php the_title(); ?>, posted on <?php the_time('F jS, Y'); ?>">

<?php if ( has_post_thumbnail() ) { the_post_thumbnail('thumbnail'); } ?>

<div class="headline_excerpt">
						<h2 class="headline remove_bottom" id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>"><?php the_title(); ?></h2>
						<div class="postmeta">
							<?php if ( $num_comments > 0 ) { ?>
								<div class="comment_link th_comment_link"><div class="comment_bubble"></div> <?php comments_number('leave a comment','1 comment','% comments'); ?></div>
							<?php } ?>
							<div class="author_link">by <?php the_author(); ?></div>
							<p class="excerpt remove_bottom<?php if ( has_post_thumbnail() ) { echo ' excerpt_with_thumb'; } ?>"><?php echo get_the_excerpt(); ?></p>
						</div>
					</div>

<div class="clear"></div>

</a>

<?php $post_num++;

endwhile;

}

/* PAGED LOOP */

else {

if ( have_posts() ) : while ( have_posts() ) : the_post();

$num_comments = get_comments_number(); ?>

<a class="index_post post" href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>" rel="bookmark" title="<?php the_title(); ?>, posted on <?php the_time('F jS, Y'); ?>">

<?php if ( has_post_thumbnail() ) { the_post_thumbnail('thumbnail'); } ?>

<div class="headline_excerpt">
						<h2 class="headline remove_bottom" id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>"><?php the_title(); ?></h2>
						<div class="postmeta">
							<?php if ( $num_comments > 0 ) { ?>
								<div class="comment_link th_comment_link"><div class="comment_bubble"></div> <?php comments_number('leave a comment','1 comment','% comments'); ?></div>
							<?php } ?>
							<div class="author_link">by <?php the_author(); ?></div>
							<p class="excerpt remove_bottom<?php if ( has_post_thumbnail() ) { echo ' excerpt_with_thumb'; } ?>"><?php echo get_the_excerpt(); ?></p>
						</div>
					</div>

<div class="clear"></div>

</a>

<?php endwhile; endif;

}

/* END LOOPS */ ?>
How would I get page 2 to pick up where page 1 left off?

Edit: I should just be using a static front page with its own template, shouldn't I?

Robot Arms fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 20, 2013

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

cheese eats mouse posted:

Any WooCommerce people in here? Having a hell of a time with a site.

What in particular? WooCommerce is generally worth the price of the support contract, for what that is worth.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I am having a hell of a time with this one. I have several websites using wordpress and the links are indexing just fine, but as far as images go in Webmaster tools I get 1000 images and only about 50 being indexed on 1 site and 50 images on the other site with 4 being indexed. I am using Yoast SEO plugin for my XML Sitemap and changed nothing in the settings, I am also using Wp Fancy Zoom for my imaegs and galleries. vbssys.com is the web address if anyone can take a look and tell me whats going on, I would really appreciate it. http://vbssys.com/sitemap_index.xml is the sitemap, but it doesn't really let you edit it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Not sure what exactly you are asking, but just taking a look at the generated source code of that site, it is a mess. I'd make sure you have title/alt tags for all the images you want to have indexed, as well.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Gyshall posted:

Not sure what exactly you are asking, but just taking a look at the generated source code of that site, it is a mess. I'd make sure you have title/alt tags for all the images you want to have indexed, as well.

I do, for every single one of them, and yeah its a mess. Basically just curious as why my images are not being indexed even with correct tites and tags. Some are galleries and some are regular images.

Thats what I am seeing in webmaster tools.

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 23, 2013

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Gyshall posted:

What in particular? WooCommerce is generally worth the price of the support contract, for what that is worth.

Eh we got it resolved. Thank you though!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I'm trying to edit a form for someone's contact page, what I'm trying to do is have an intro question ("What are you contacting us about?), and have two radio answers (or a select, whichever). Picking answer A shows one div (and its related contact questions) and hides the other, and answer B does the opposite. The guy has multiple lines of business, he wants his contact form tailored to the type of person who's writing him.

I think my problem's less about javascript and more just an issue with how to build this in this particular wordpress theme (which, helpfully enough, is named "The Bob," after the guy's name, so I don't know how to google for help on it).

The way you edit this form is above your textarea where the form goes I've got a dropdown where I can pick from a bunch of page elements - textarea, select, submit button, URL, etc - and once I select one and give it some details (class, ID, answers) it drops this onto the page:

[radio radio-219 id:wedding class:contact_wedding "Answer A" "Answer B"]

loving wysiwygs, goddamn it. This below is exactly what I want it to do, but when I add the data-rel to the code above and save, the question refuses to display on the outputted contact page.

http://jsfiddle.net/HREqE/

What other information do you geniuses need to be able to help me out with this?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

http://jsfiddle.net/HREqE/2/

You needed to use .attr('data-rel') to find your content box class, not .data('rel'). That's not what the data function is for. RTFM and all that jazz, blah blah. ;)

kedo fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 26, 2013

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I'm sure you're right, but you were way, way ahead of me here. :)

See, I'm not editing contact.php or whatever, I'm in this theme's wysiwyg, and I create new form elements like this:

And so the options I picked there would spit out this for me to add to my form:

code:
[radio radio-661 id:photo_contact class:trigger "Wedding" "Portrait"]
Which, as far as I'm concerned, is loving gobbledegook. But what took me way too long to realize was that whatever that poo poo is, it's still just outputting html to the contact page, so I looked at the source of the contact page to grab the generated html, pasted that into my contact page, and got it working (eventually, after figuring poo poo out like "$ is not a function" and "You have to be really careful where you add javascript, which you know nothing about, into a template you also know absolutely nothing about").

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
I've finished the coding parts of my wife's website. However, I'm crappy at design, and I can't find a free theme that looks good. What should I expect to pay someone to just do the layout / beautification of a WordPress site?

Also, out of curiosity, what do people charge to set up custom Gravity Forms and websites? The prices I've seen quoted online seem to range from $500 to $5000, so I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what's reasonable.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Khelmar posted:

I've finished the coding parts of my wife's website. However, I'm crappy at design, and I can't find a free theme that looks good. What should I expect to pay someone to just do the layout / beautification of a WordPress site?

Depends on the complexity of the site and how talented of a designer you hire. You might want to just buy a theme unless you want to go through the whole process of searching for and hiring a designer/developer. WooThemes tends to have some nice stuff.

Khelmar posted:

Also, out of curiosity, what do people charge to set up custom Gravity Forms and websites? The prices I've seen quoted online seem to range from $500 to $5000, so I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what's reasonable.

Again, this depends on the complexity of the form and website. This is like asking, "How much does a car cost?" A single license for Gravity Forms is $40, and a developer's hourly rate will be anywhere between probably $40-100/hr for what you're looking for.

e: Unless they're in India.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Khelmar posted:

Like kedo said, you ought to at least check out woothemes before you go looking for designers - you'll pay out the rear end for someone to design/build you a site from the ground up. Woothemes is dirt cheap (around $40, usually) and the ones I've used have been really well put together, with documentation, responsive, etc. If you don't see anything you're in love with, find something that has the layout you want and does what you need, then pay a designer to go in and basically skin the theme the way you want. Much cheaper than starting from scratch.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have a mailchimp mailing list which is quickly approaching it's free 2k subscriber limit. I think I'd rather just let user subscribe to my posts by email instead of sending out a newsletter. Any suggestions on good plugins to do something? Wordpress offers the Jetpack plugin that does it but it's pretty limited and there's no management or states from the webmaster side.

EDIT:
I found a setup that works for me that I might was well share with anyone who's looking to build a bigger list.

First you'll need an SMTP mail sender service to send out your emails. There's a bunch out there but the most cost-effective services I've for smallish lists are Mandrill by Mailchimp and Dyn Email.

http://mandrill.com
http://dyn.com/email/

Mandrill is free up to the first 12k emails sent per month and Dyn has a $3 monthly fee for 10k emails sent. Mandrill places an initial limit of 250 emails/hr for new accounts, Dyn has no limit but asks you a few questions to verify you aren't a spammer when you setup your account.

One main issue I'm having with Dyn is that my newsletters are ending up in spam boxes but this seems unusual and I'm talking to Dyn about it.

As far as Wordpress plugins go, you have a few options.

Subscribe2 - http://wordpress.org/plugins/subscribe2/
MailPoet - http://www.mailpoet.com
Sendpress - https://sendpress.com

Mailpoet and Sendpress are very good programs but are fairly limited in their basic versions so expect to pay for the Pro version. They aren't terribly expensive at around $100 or so, and if you've got a good sized newsletter you're gonna need it. Most features are available in the free version to sub-2k lists.

I ended up using Subscribe2. The plugin is free, it supports SMTP hosts and does daily, weekly, and per-post emails. You can also curate your subscriber list, do double opt-in and has a few form functions. No limit on subscriber count but they do have a pro version that offers some more functionality that you probably wouldn't need to a basic blog, mainly advanced click tracking and stats that your SMTP provider may already have.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 8, 2013

Nation of Thizzlam
Sep 9, 2010

Tear off the chains and the entire world will be free

I'm fairly new to WordPress and anything beyond rudimentary CSS, but I'm attempting to help a friend with building her site. I have most of the site completed, but I've run into a snag with Events Manager basic. I want to replace the "Book" button with a PayPal checkout link - is there any way to do this in the code editor without having to pay for Events Manager Pro, or is she just gonna have to drop the 70-some dollars to achieve that functionality?

snakeater
May 17, 2008

A paranoiac in reverse.
How do you all manage updates across multiple installs?

I've tried services such as ManageWP and the (self-hosted) IWP, but since several sites broke with major version updates (and a couple of broken plugin updates) I've started doing it manually. I version the Wordpress core files with git and treat the theme as a submodule. I add the plugin files to the repo as some don't have git mirrors (paid ones etc.), although I'm not sure if I should offload the free ones onto submodules. Then I check locally to see if everything is ok and deploy to production with Capistrano. There's no need for a staging server as my local VM matches my production server and the sites in question are far from mission critical.

The problem with this is I don't know what/when things need updating unless I boot up my local environment or visit the production admin (which I would be inclined to include no file mods on anyway).

Multiply this by 6+ sites and it becomes a pain. I now have the ability to easily roll back faulty updates and double check they haven't taken the site down, but at the same time I have to fetch / checkout potentially new versions of each copy of WP and maybe plugins provided I treat them as submodules.

I could probably write a script, but I'm not sure if I'm just doing-it-wrong at this point. The other thing I am considering is a local IWP install for the update dashboard (then just manually updating each with git) but I'm not sure if that's another OHGODWHY moment.

Also: any way to automate database upgrades with manual updates? I'm sure I can get Cap to take care of this but I'm not sure how to.

snakeater fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 6, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I could use some plugin recommendations, please! I'm starting on a new project with requirements that are going into new territory for me, so I want to make sure I'm doing things the right way from the get go (or as close to the right way as possible).

The short version is that I need a relatively robust user management system. I'd prefer if it allowed users to login with a Facebook/Twitter/etc account, but I'd also like them to have the option to create a new WordPress account. I'd like to be able to attach data to each user account based on their interaction with the site (ie. someone casts a vote on a gravity form, a number attached to their account is incremented). This is my phase one goal, but I'd like to be able to do a lot with these accounts in the future. Maybe tying them in with a forum, creating individual user profiles / landing pages, etc.

I've really never done much with accounts in general, so any advice is super welcome.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Got a potential client, his existing site was built with Volusion - this seems to be a template and e-commerce thing all built in one. We're talking about doing a top-to-bottom redesign, and I'm wondering just what I'm getting myself into if I start with a Woo theme and use Woo Commerce. I have literally never done the first bit of work on an e-commerce site, but I'm thinking it can't be that hard, right? This guy's currently got about 100 items for sale - do I dare to hope that setting this up is as easy as signing up for and installing a woo-commerce theme, adding each of his products, then tying it into his billing system (I have no idea what this entails), and lastly, tailoring the design to match what he needs? I feel like total dummies do this, it can't be that hard for me. Is building a fairly straightforward e-commerce site a drag-and-drop kind of experience? Or should I be terrified, and expect a lot of back-end work in languages I've never heard of before? I'm not looking to do anything crazy here - they make handcrafted signs and wanna sell them online, that's it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yes and no, I'd find out what he is using for payment processing first.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Gyshall posted:

Yes and no, I'd find out what he is using for payment processing first.
Paypal.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Heads up on WooCommerce as I just got done with a project with it. Our client insisted on keeping WooCommerce. In the database it stores any orders as a post instead of its own separate type of data, which can get crazy if you're also going to have a blog page.

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008

snakeater posted:

How do you all manage updates across multiple installs?

I've tried services such as ManageWP and the (self-hosted) IWP, but since several sites broke with major version updates (and a couple of broken plugin updates) I've started doing it manually. I version the Wordpress core files with git and treat the theme as a submodule. I add the plugin files to the repo as some don't have git mirrors (paid ones etc.), although I'm not sure if I should offload the free ones onto submodules. Then I check locally to see if everything is ok and deploy to production with Capistrano. There's no need for a staging server as my local VM matches my production server and the sites in question are far from mission critical.
I use ManageWP to manage somewhere around 40 sites, and it works mostly alright for me. It will usually update about 80% of the sites/plugins, and then I go through manually and update anything that got left out. It's been working for me so far, but I'd love to know if you come up with anything.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think ive talked about this before but its ugly head has come up again. This is regarding photo galleries and my lead dev is asking for a different solution now. At the moment I use NextGen V1.9, we have a archives page that displays a single thumbnail that when clicked opens up a slideshow with any image associated with it. Had to do some wrangling to get it to work but the page looks nice and is responsive. Now they want to add gallery links to another page but only link them via text.

Does anyone know of a plugin that does either of these, preferably all in one? So image links to a gallery via text & also single thumbnails linking to a full gallery.

If there was a way to grab images associated to a gallery I could even develop a custom function to create a basic lightbox/fancybox type code format.

I am tearing my hair out because of course there is a million plugins out there that do galleries but trying to find one for my certain needs is a pain.]

EDIT: Found the code for getting gallery stuff from within Next Gen Gallery and created my own shortcode, a little messy but it works for the output I want.

PHP code:
//shortcode for adding text links to galleries
add_shortcode('ngg_text', 'ngg_gallery_text');

function ngg_gallery_text($id){
  extract(shortcode_atts(array(
    'gal_id' => 0,
    ), $id));

if ($gal_id != 0):
        ob_start();
        global $nggdb;
        $gallery = $nggdb->get_gallery($gal_id, 'sortorder', 'ASC', true, 0, 0); 
        $gallery_counter = 0; 
        foreach($gallery as $image) {
          if($gallery_counter > 0): 
            if($gallery_counter == 1):?>
              <div class="hidden">
              <a class="fancybox" href="<?= $image->imageURL;?>" rel="gallery<?= $gal_id; ?>"></a> <? $gallery_counter = $gallery_counter + 1;
            else: ?> 
              <a class="fancybox" href="<?= $image->imageURL;?>" rel="gallery<?= $gal_id; ?>"></a> <? $gallery_counter = $gallery_counter + 1;
            endif;
          else: ?>
            <a class="fancybox" href="<?= $image->imageURL;?>" rel="gallery<?= $gal_id; ?>">Click to Open Gallery</a> <? $gallery_counter = $gallery_counter + 1;
          endif;
        }
        echo "</div>";

$myvariable = ob_get_clean();
        return $myvariable;
    else:
      echo "Error";
    endif;
}
?>

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 13, 2013

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Edit: Have decided to change theme, nothing to see here.

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 16, 2013

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

I've been looking around for a WP plugin that can do a map of multiple locations centered on the user's current location (via mobile device, so gps based presumably). An example of what I'm looking for is a store locator (ie: show me 3 closest locations to where I am right now).

I'm looking for city block-level accuracy for mobile users, and city-wide (IP to city) on anything else.

There's lots of plugins that provide maps, but very few that seem to be able to do get the user's current location and generate a map based upon that. I'm the kind of person that wants a simple/no-frills plugin, and have come across way to many overly complicated (do everything, and/or be a yelp replacement), or assume you're Starbucks and have mad stacks of cash.

Anyone got any pointers to a simple package that does this?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I host 2 podcasts and a few mostly static web sites, all of which use wordpress and I'm trying to optimize them. Lately, the podcasts have been slow and I'm starting to get database errors (unable to connect to be specific) and I want to improve what I can. Part of the problem is my shared hosting, which I know is a terrible idea, but I can't afford a VPS or anything better for what I do. The podcasts use 3 TB or more of bandwidth per month and I store all the MP3s on the server. My shared plan provides unlimited storage space and bandwidth so I just have to deal with it.

1. How can I easily locate and delete unused image files? I know there are several plugins that do this, but I'm not sure which one is best. Wordpress Uploaded Files Cleaner found a lot of unused images but I haven't used to delete/move images yet.

2. Any tips on optimizing performance in general or plugins that can optimize a worpdress install?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Are you using podPress, Blubrry, or something else? I was on shared hosting and despite doing all sorts of things to try to cut down on resources, I kept getting suspended and eventually had to run to a VPS (I got a Cyber Monday deal last year, but I'll be looking again this Monday. The cost increase sucks, I am paying almost 3x what I did on shared hosting, but at least I'm not being shut down once a month for being too popular.) podPress uses more resources than shared providers like, especially if people are actually downloading your shows. If you have two popular shows on two separate feeds, that's probably even worse from a webhost's view. In my experience, CPU cycles/RAM are the things the shared host providers care most about you using.

I will assume you are using a cache and move on to other plugin helpers:
P3 (Plugin Performance Profiler) will show what plugins are sucking resources
Clean Options and Limit Revisions/WP-Optimize will help cut down database size
Check your logs to make sure you aren't getting requests that are errors (like image files that don't exist)
Shut off the stats plugin in Jetpack (and shut off most of Jetpack, to be honest)
I use CloudFlare to help reduce resources used, though some people don't like them.
Ditch any related post plugins that run off your database and use something like LinkWithin

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Just ran P3 on both sites - Jetpack isn't a major issue on one site, but it's rather large in the other. I love the stat tracking feature of jetpack though. What's a good replacement?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Your PMs are full...

I use Google Analytics and Statcounter

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Tars Tarkas posted:

Your PMs are full...

I use Google Analytics and Statcounter

just cleared out my sent items folder. Go ahead and resend. I had no idea my PM folder was full.

So statcounter doesn't use many resources?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I have resent the PM (this is the first time I've seen a PM box full since they upped the limit long ago, but then I don't use them much!)

Statcounter and Google Analytics are mostly external and won't effect your database. Statcounter is good for mostly realtime stats that let you know if you're suddenly a hit on some random site, but they do pick up a bit of noise from webcrawlers and your numbers will be ~10% higher than on Google Analytics. Sitemeter is another free option, though at one time they were installing a tracking cookie or something that was setting off antivirus programs (I also don't like their interface as much) Most shared hosts also have a site stats program in their backend, but those update once a day and I've only found them useful to see which sites are trying to image leech. I do like Jetpack's stats, but when it interferes with your site actually working you should experiment with turning it off to see if it lessens the errors.

There is also the possibility your host has something configured weird/wrong on your shared server, it would not be the first time that's happened and I don't know how you would figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.

cheese eats mouse posted:

Heads up on WooCommerce as I just got done with a project with it. Our client insisted on keeping WooCommerce. In the database it stores any orders as a post instead of its own separate type of data, which can get crazy if you're also going to have a blog page.

What problems did this cause for you?