Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

keyvin posted:

Is there a mud with a goon presence? Goons make everything more enjoyable. Barring that, is there a mud with persistent inventory, decent population, and a more reasonable (to me) death penalty?

Last I knew, the place we mostly congregated at was Icesus. XP penalty for death isn't as bad, persistent inventory, and decent population. There's a few of us on Discworld, which is worth mucking about in at least once; it's got really high-quality content and lots of little easter eggs about. Personally, I'm back with my usual mud of choice (Dartmud), but the odd blend of casual/non-casual RP in vogue there is disconcerting to a lot of folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I play on a permdeath MUD :smug:

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Hello Sailor posted:

Last I knew, the place we mostly congregated at was Icesus. XP penalty for death isn't as bad, persistent inventory, and decent population. There's a few of us on Discworld, which is worth mucking about in at least once; it's got really high-quality content and lots of little easter eggs about. Personally, I'm back with my usual mud of choice (Dartmud), but the odd blend of casual/non-casual RP in vogue there is disconcerting to a lot of folks.

I always liked Icesus's outdoor stuff, the fishing and digging. Wayfar is goon run and I'm pretty sure at least a few goons are playing. It is sci-fi and nowhere close to the polish levels you'll see in some MUDs that have been open for a while, but we do have catbug.

quote:

Catbug [to Kruniac]: Ralph Waldo Pickle Chips! I don't know him.
Catbug raises one hand, awaiting a high five.

fuck the ROW fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 30, 2013

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah tmud sounds.. well, awful.

I play a permadeath mud too, but you don't lose any stuff on logout, and keep a persistent character.

I also play Icesus very randomly and Aardwolf now and then as well if anyone wanted to play together.

Feel free to pm me or add me on AIM or whatever, I'd love to MUD with a group but Icesus got stale when everyone disappeared.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Please play WayFar. WayFar needs more cool players. This is what I, as a Good Player(TM), have to deal with.

quote:

[chatzone] Aethling says, "Help dubstep is supar helpful."
[chatzone] Aethling says, "trust meh"
[chatzone] Aethling asks, "wuld dis fac li?"
[chatzone] Aethling says, "et nawt mah falt"
It hurts me.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
edit: Holy poo poo, sorry, missed the first post on the page.
---

Does anyone here play the Discworld MUD?

In about 1999 I played and quite enjoyed it, and I think it appealed to me more than others because of its humour. Sometimes I'm not interesting in the combat and just like to wander around chatting while waiting for something to compile, and it was perfect for that kind of entertainment.

On a whim I decided to log in and have another look and wasted a few hours, and I think I'll give it another crack. Seems like a good crowd in there, still.

stille
Oct 9, 2012
Yep, Aphaea there.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

stille posted:

Yep, Aphaea there.

Ha, you answered my thief guild question tonight, thanks.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

t2t sounds like an Aber MUD. The one I used to play would drop all of your gear on logout and do twice daily resets. Most gear was unique though so only one person could have it at a time and it always spawned at the same place or with the same method. The whole point of the MUD was knowing where the best gear was and the quickest way to get to it on reset to beat other players there. And then secondary was knowing where to get back up gear in case another player beat you there.

You could also remort to switch to a new class, keeping a single skill from the previous class permanently along with getting a piece of gear which stuck with you permanently and gave you a few extra stat points or a persistent effect.

The xp penalty for death wasn't as steep though. I think 10%.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Playing on Icesus - Are the descriptions of damage in combat just flavor, or is the game keeping track of small bruises on my leg?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

keyvin posted:

Playing on Icesus - Are the descriptions of damage in combat just flavor, or is the game keeping track of small bruises on my leg?

Flavor unless you're playing a Wilder. They have a system in place to divert critical damage and absorb them with a limb or your torso. After a certain level of damage this doesn't come into play anymore. You're also able to turn the scars and such on your limbs into natural armor when you get levels in their shaman subguild and the chant skill

Nimrod
Sep 20, 2003
I've just started playing on Discworld as Lowbrow, so if any goons who are playing still want to say hi, you're welcome to!

EDIT: I'm also playing Achaea as Tinturo and Aardwolf as Lowbrow. I haven't really decided which of the three I want to stick with.

Nimrod fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 7, 2013

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Hey wizardfolk, I'm not dead! My free time is really limited right now. Totally forgot to warn you guys. I'll show up again soonish.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But did you finish Pressure????

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Haephastus posted:

But did you finish Pressure????

Hahahahaha!

... No.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Do you guys have an IRC or something?

Nimrod
Sep 20, 2003

Highblood posted:

Do you guys have an IRC or something?

#mudgoons on irc.synirc.net but the couple of times i've jumped on, I didn't see anyone.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

Funkmaster General posted:

Hey wizardfolk, I'm not dead! My free time is really limited right now. Totally forgot to warn you guys. I'll show up again soonish.

I hope you REALLY die!!!

well, no, jk, that would be mean.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Anyone play Armageddon? I saw it on some Top 10 MUD list somewhere and was hooked by the idea of a Dark Sun-inspired setting. I got my first character approved and everything set up, then dumped into a city and have no idea where to go from here.

I can tell this MUD is very well put-together already, though.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

Drone posted:

Anyone play Armageddon? I saw it on some Top 10 MUD list somewhere and was hooked by the idea of a Dark Sun-inspired setting. I got my first character approved and everything set up, then dumped into a city and have no idea where to go from here.

I can tell this MUD is very well put-together already, though.

I just put in a request for a character, so unless they hate my terribly generic human background I'll be seeing you shortly as Vadun

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yes I play Armageddon. Send me IMs or PMs if you want to talk and stuff.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you guys still play Icesus actively, by the way?? Aside from duty hours and some light studying, I have too much time on my hands in tech school.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Haephastus posted:

Do you guys still play Icesus actively, by the way?? Aside from duty hours and some light studying, I have too much time on my hands in tech school.

I've been popping on every couple of days lately. Hasn't been anyone in the goon channel who wasn't idling, though. Got a new best solo kill, 200k, off one of those three-headed lizards. Took 30 minutes of hit 'n' run. Beholder air priests are awesome.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Vadun posted:

I just put in a request for a character, so unless they hate my terribly generic human background I'll be seeing you shortly as Vadun

I already had my first permadeath. Who'd have figured a hunter would be so bad at hunting? Anyway, rerolled something a bit more conservative this time, now just getting my bearings and gawping at how well-crafted the world is.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I'm always turned off by the make a profile before playing thing. I think the only mud I ever got into with profiles did it so that you could play as a newbie for awhile without one to get to know the world before you made a profile.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

It's usually a turnoff for me too, but it works really well in Armageddon. It didn't take that long either for my two characters (one died) to get approved, only a couple hours in each case. Looks like the admins do it around 8pm-ish EST. And as far as the world and backstory go, their website is very informative.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

Being a lovely pickpocket in Armageddon is as easy way to get yourself murdered, as my first character just found out. The highlights of his life include managing to find his way from Tuluk to Luir's Outpost and not dying of starvation/thirst, beating the poo poo out of a snake and stealing some food someone left by the firepit. Then he got caught trying to snatch a pepper from some scrub npc and he got ganked by mercs

I already put in an app for a second character. Going to try something a little simpler

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
For your first character: Make a merchant and join a house, or make a Human Warrior and join the Byn.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Drone posted:

It's usually a turnoff for me too, but it works really well in Armageddon. It didn't take that long either for my two characters (one died) to get approved, only a couple hours in each case. Looks like the admins do it around 8pm-ish EST. And as far as the world and backstory go, their website is very informative.

The idea of reading through some website trying to write up a backstory for your halfling shoemaker or whatever before you even get to try out the game is ridiculous, in my opinion.

Actually I think I did write an app for Armageddon once, since somebody else was joining, but apparently Octodad, the man who destined to be as powerful as eight dads, didn't fit their lore(didn't read it).

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Dex posted:

The idea of reading through some website trying to write up a backstory for your halfling shoemaker or whatever before you even get to try out the game is ridiculous, in my opinion.

Actually I think I did write an app for Armageddon once, since somebody else was joining, but apparently Octodad, the man who destined to be as powerful as eight dads, didn't fit their lore(didn't read it).

Yes some people like different things than you. Glad you figured that out. :unsmith:

Dr. Video Games 0155
Aug 24, 2004

If in doubt, throw more men at it!
Well stepped into Icesus as Morgan the dandy Templar, haven't played a MUD in what seems like ages but this is pretty fun, saw 75+ on today. Currently hit Level 7 still fighting Rats in the warehouse and giving corpses to the lady for money as my current occupation I suppose. If there is still actively people is it possible to get a invite to the channel?

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

nucleicmaxid posted:

Yes some people like different things than you. Glad you figured that out. :unsmith:

I still haven't figured that out, since the phrase "in my opinion" clearly means everybody who doesn't agree is a nerd and I'm going to take their lunch money, sorry.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0155 posted:

Well stepped into Icesus as Morgan the dandy Templar, haven't played a MUD in what seems like ages but this is pretty fun, saw 75+ on today. Currently hit Level 7 still fighting Rats in the warehouse and giving corpses to the lady for money as my current occupation I suppose. If there is still actively people is it possible to get a invite to the channel?

I'll add you when I get home in an hour or two. My iPad client hates me

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Dex posted:

In what strange universe do you live in where you think a game with strictly-enforced RP and an original IP isn't going to be a stickler about adherence to lore? Yeah, it's not for everyone, but I'm sorry someone pissed in your cheerios after you made a gimmick character that you knew wouldn't get accepted just so you could feel righteously indignant.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I'm not a fan of needing to submit an application to pretend to be a goddamn elf on the Internet, but yeah, not really sure what you expected. Not everyone is into roleplaying and the associated poo poo but you don't have to be a dick about it.

On a related note, a few of us are currently fighting a bit of an uphill battle trying to get Unwritten Legends to get rid of its lovely application. I've lost track of how many people I have gotten hyped for UL only for them to see the application and go "are you loving joking" and lose interest immediately.

That said, it's amazing how many old players insist the application serves some kind of necessary purpose. Goes to show there's no grog quite like MUD grog.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Drone posted:

In what strange universe do you live in where you think a game with strictly-enforced RP and an original IP isn't going to be a stickler about adherence to lore? Yeah, it's not for everyone, but I'm sorry someone pissed in your cheerios after you made a gimmick character that you knew wouldn't get accepted just so you could feel righteously indignant.

Yes, I'm very indignant about the fact that I didn't get to play a thing I refused to look at for more than a minute, that's definitely what's happening right here. I'm not at all saying I think a thing is dumb, and that's just what I think about it, or anything.

Reene posted:

I'm not a fan of needing to submit an application to pretend to be a goddamn elf on the Internet, but yeah, not really sure what you expected. Not everyone is into roleplaying and the associated poo poo but you don't have to be a dick about it.

Didn't actually expect anything, it was "hey sign up for this" > "where's the signup" > "read this wiki and write five paragraphs about your hometown" > "lol no" and I just wanted to post about it being off putting as heck, huge apologies to everybody who is offended by the fact that I don't like a thing. I will give you one text kiss on the mouth to compensate.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It doesn't help that nearly every game with an actual RP application that I've tried ends up being dogshit anyway, so I wasted about two hours of my life writing some stupid internet pretend-playing garbage, just to be rewarded with wierdo cybering and a very poor game experience.

Like, if your RP game has such an amazing game system, why doesn't it work without people writing 6 paragraph background stories about ~~ deep dark pasts ~~ and ~~ dead parents ~~???

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Primary argument I see trotted out is that it somehow ensures the person is very serious about the game and also a good roleplayer and not just there to cause trouble or be lovely. This is flawed reasoning for obvious reasons: firstly, why should a new player care about your game without ever having set foot in or interacted with anyone in it? And since when does having a mountain of exposition available to drop on someone on cue equal good roleplaying?

I really enjoy roleplaying as an exercise in creative cooperative storytelling but stuff like this is just proof positive that a ton of people miss the point, which is that you should be engaging with other people and creating new stories, not doing the narrative equivalent of masturbation.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Speaking of RP, has anyone played The Reach? I'm a big fan of WoD and that mux is pretty popular. I tried logging on but that poo poo's really confusing and I can't find any help for newbies anywhere even on the wiki. Worth bothering with or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Absolutely not worth bothering with at all. World of Darkness MUSHes are dead. It's all just people cybering forever with ripoffs of the Supernatural duo or whatever flavor of the week TV show nerds are spergin' over.

• Locked thread