Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you put tcp/ip/dirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

we used a dedicated power plant to electrify thirty two miles of dirt in michigan and that allowed us to transmit a whopping two characters per minute, with no possibility of a return message

It also caused people's heads to explode in an episode of the X-Files so there's that.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

we used a dedicated power plant to electrify thirty two miles of dirt in michigan and that allowed us to transmit a whopping two characters per minute, with no possibility of a return message

the russians just used a pencil :smuggo:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

no, they used 60 kilometers of electrified dirt

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

it's this thing: http://www.hep.wisc.edu/~prepost/ELF.pdf

there's also a bunch of electrified dirt in Wisconsin for the same purpose

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I liked the original plan, 6000 miles of wire powered by 100 subterranean power plants all for the purpose of telling subs when to nuke everyone else.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

no, they used 60 kilometers of electrified dirt

no they used 56 miles in michigan and 28 in wisconsin

i grew up not far fromt he michigan one

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

yeah detroits pretty bad

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

LP97S posted:

It also caused people's heads to explode in an episode of the X-Files so there's that.

specifically, walter white's head

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

dur posted:

no they used 56 miles in michigan and 28 in wisconsin

i grew up not far fromt he michigan one

americans used miles of dirt, soviets used kilometers of dirt

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

LP97S posted:

I liked the original plan, 6000 miles of wire powered by 100 subterranean power plants all for the purpose of telling subs when to nuke everyone else.

now we can use neutrinos which is even more awesome

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~
were people talking about the venus equilateral stories earlier itt because i just read the collection and they're p. hilarious

a series written by an electronic engineer in the 1940s about a space station crew who use 1940s electronic engineering to solve life and death problems and turn the solar system into a post-scarcity utopia

hollering down to the machine shop because they need a cam made up to move the antenna along just the right path to track a ship & then inventing matter duplicators and reactionless drives based on thermionic emission

at one point a guy called his hands his lunch hooks

also asimov-level treatment of women :toot:

idk why I get the urge to read stuff like this, maybe i'm secretly a cigars-and-brandy old fashioned college boy who yearns for the day where everyone except affluent white dudes knew their place

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Whoa kira in bsg

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Usagi-Sauce posted:

also asimov-level treatment of women :toot:

idk why I get the urge to read stuff like this, maybe i'm secretly a cigars-and-brandy old fashioned college boy who yearns for the day where everyone except affluent white dudes knew their place

i have a lot of old asimov books, i don't remember anything overly bad about his portrayal of women, other than they were about as 2d as all of his characterizations.

certainly not in the realm of niven or heinlein

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 17, 2013

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Glorgnole posted:

a bunch of electrified dirt

mods

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

REAMDE started off promising then got so goddamn stupid. Why Neal. Why.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

Whoa kira in bsg

lol you're watching bsg past the battle of new caprica episode

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
yo has anyone hated on dr who lately

dr who fuckin sucks & is gay

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

agreed, kirk

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Kirk posted:

yo has anyone hated on dr who lately

dr who fuckin sucks & is gay

why, is there more dr. who to hate on now? hating on last year's dr. who is getting stale

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
theres new dr who or something its like that giant power rangers crossover with all the red rangers

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
or that ep of enterprise where every captain from every series is in a temporal vortex helping each other and it was lol cause gate mulgrew was hella fat by then so they dolled her up in some "civilian" clothing that was loose fitting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh cool, they've abandoned all pretense at writing and just started airing straight up fanservice

good for them

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

dur posted:

lol you're watching bsg past the battle of new caprica episode

trap sprung???

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

infernal machines posted:

why, is there more dr. who to hate on now? hating on last year's dr. who is getting stale

i've never seen old who but new who is gonna own on account of Malcolm (firefly) being the new who

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
get hosed you whovian idiot

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

oh cool, they've abandoned all pretense at writing and just started airing straight up fanservice

good for them

:argh: writing a show which makes the viewers of that show happy

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

i've never seen old who but new who is gonna own on account of Malcolm (firefly) being the new who

wrong malcolm

(sproing)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Stymie posted:

it's okay, gypsy danger is analog

meanwhile some cined poster uses that line as the lynchpin of a gigantic essay which asserts that pacific rim is really intended as a deconstruction of [something] (because every movie has to deconstruct something)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qntm posted:

:lost:

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

qntm posted:

nooo all media i consume must be True Art, now let me tell you about which is the best $30 dota hat

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Can-O-Raid posted:

nooo all media i consume must be True Art, now let me tell you about which is the best $30 dota hat

it's the white hat that says I <3 New Media in red lettering

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Smythe posted:

theyre gonna turn on the super burners and bodyslam some poo poo through a mountain like in dragon ball z.

i'm not baggin' on you here smythe

but is anyone else really bored to tears by the "spend five minutes throwing each other through buildings and poo poo" action scene? it's like okay, we get it, these guys/robots/whatever are so badass that they can just crash through things and still trade face punches. why are they still throwing each other through buildings if the first couple of times didn't do poo poo??

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

meanwhile some cined poster uses that line as the lynchpin of a gigantic essay which asserts that pacific rim is really intended as a deconstruction of [something] (because every movie has to deconstruct something)

gotta put the lit degree to use somehow, beside only literal philistines can't see the subtext of modern cultural tropes in ffffaaaaaaarrrrrrrtttttttttttttttt

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
if your not stem then gently caress you

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

theflyingexecutive posted:

star trek which was originally a tv show should be doing the whole big budget movie + spinoff books comics and a tv show but i have no idea why they arent, tho avengers did do much better financially

splitting franchise ownership between two different loving corporations has really not helped that at all. i don't even understand why someone at viacom decided to split the TV rights to CBS and the movie rights to Paramount.

my understanding is that the lack of spinoff books and comics and other "hey lets actually (re)build a fuckin' brand here" activities has been undermined by bad (or no) cooperation between Paramount and Bad Robot (or whatever the gently caress abrams' outfit is called)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
pacific rim was a deconstruction of your wallet with the intent to keep your money

worked too

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

is it OK if my new science fiction cinematic epic constructs instead of deconstructs? if current trends continue eventually we won't have anything left to deconstruct, so it's important to construct new concepts so they can later be deconstructed by shameful modern lit majors.

please apply postmodern literary techniques responsibly.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Kirk posted:

if your not stem then gently caress you

this but with more seething pent-up hatred towards those i deem unproductive and burdensome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

good for them

they did multi-doctor crossovers all the time in the old days

there was one when they were on doctor number five, and tom baker refused to be in the thing because he'd practically just left, so they used a bunch of footage from an episode that never aired and had him "trapped" the whole time

doctor who has always been for children, it's just that now it's taking itself seriously since it has a budget for once

same with bsg, really

• Locked thread