Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pretty much one of the greatest scenes about the Internet in a television show, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Gay show as in there's an ongoing and strong subtextual reading related to the characters homosexuality or inability to be openly homosexual.

Any opinion on what show is the faggiest? I'd say Mad Men. That Don Draper is never not smoking.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Manos del Sino posted:

I thought Supernatural's whole "Wincest" thing was just what people wanted to see, and not something that actually existed. Ever. In the slightest.

Sure, in the later seasons, the "gay" is played up between certain characters for comedic value and as a jab at desperate fans, but I never saw any of that in the first few seasons.
Probably because its not really there? It's just an angst ridden brother relationship due to all kinds of trauma, stress, and family issues. For whatever reason it seems like some people just can't embrace the idea that they're brothers or get behind the idea of brothers talking about stuff. I don't know. I don't get it unless I assume people just aren't able at all to buy into the idea of these two as brothers with a lot of history and just see them as two dudes. In which case "those two dudes are talking about how much they missed each other and one abandoning the other. That's gay."

And why is Dexter "gay"? The relationship with Brian? I've never seen that opinion before.

So basically you don't like shows where guys are angsty towards each other?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dexter has a lot of sexual subtext, both gay and straight, but it's pretty drat obfuscated and the Internet greatly exaggerates it (because on the Internet everything is secretly about sex).

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Probably because its not really there? It's just an angst ridden brother relationship due to all kinds of trauma, stress, and family issues. For whatever reason it seems like some people just can't embrace the idea that they're brothers or get behind the idea of brothers talking about stuff. I don't know. I don't get it unless I assume people just aren't able at all to buy into the idea of these two as brothers with a lot of history and just see them as two dudes. In which case "those two dudes are talking about how much they missed each other and one abandoning the other. That's gay."

And why is Dexter "gay"? The relationship with Brian? I've never seen that opinion before.

So basically you don't like shows where guys are angsty towards each other?

Any time two men have a deep friendship on television, they're secretly gay.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

precision posted:

Dexter has a lot of sexual subtext, both gay and straight, but it's pretty drat obfuscated and the Internet greatly exaggerates it (because on the Internet everything is secretly about sex).

I think the Dexter subtext is only obfuscated compared to something like Nightmare on Elm Street 2. At least in the first few seasons. Don't really remember if theres any later on.

Its nothing to do with Bryan though from what I remember. Its pretty easily noticeable in the Little Chino episode.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyRPmMi1Mio

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

precision posted:

Apparently I've been watching TV all wrong all this time.

So I'm not disputing the Dexter thing. I've genuinely never given in any thought before now. I guess now that you say it and I think I can assume there all kinds of things about his "dark passenger" and him trying to control his secret urges and leading a double life he hides from everyone and "stabbing=penetration"? I guess I can see it if I'm looking for it and maybe its a lot more obvious and detailed if I'm actively looking for it while watching.

Not that I'm going to rewatch Dexter. gently caress that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dexter: Not Even Once.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Ive tried to get get into Supernatural a few times but can't make it more than a few episodes. Its just too gay... well "too CW" might describe it better.

Arrow is pretty gay and CW too, and I like it although I've only watched part of the first season. There's just something about Supernatural that doesn't work for me.

I think many of the fans of those shows may want the male leads to gently caress each other, but nothing about either of the actual shows says "these characters totally want to make out" to me.

...Unless your criteria for "gay" is "the people in this TV show are muscular and attractive and go shirtless a lot" in which case you may have some issues of your own to work through.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

raditts posted:

I think many of the fans of those shows may want the male leads to gently caress each other, but nothing about either of the actual shows says "these characters totally want to make out" to me.

Seriously, and if I remember correctly, the show makes a point in shaming those "fans" on an occasion or two.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yes. The show has made it very clear that if you see sexual subtext in the Sam/Dean relationship than there's something wrong with you.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

raditts posted:

...Unless your criteria for "gay" is "the people in this TV show are muscular and attractive and go shirtless a lot" in which case you may have some issues of your own to work through.

Nah that's a "too CW" thing.

I still plan on trying with Supernatural one day, maybe after it wraps up, since everyone really loves it and Daniel Knauf joins the writing staff at some point. It just never clicks anytime I have. Definitely going to watch more Arrow, I think I only stopped because I was watching on hulu and hate commercials then got behind and they took down whatever episodes I was last at. I hate hulu.

STAC Goat posted:

Yes. The show has made it very clear that if you see sexual subtext in the Sam/Dean relationship than there's something wrong with you.

Hah, well the show has got that right about me.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm watching the X Files on netflix.

By watching, I'm mean it playing on my work laptop while I play Civ 5. It's ok but I'm not compelled to
actively watch it.

I'm on Season 2 and it's picked up slightly. Is there a golden age sweet spot set of seasons I should be looking for to?

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

precision posted:

Pretty much one of the greatest scenes about the Internet in a television show, ever.

Unfortunately not on youtube, but in Adventure Time when the Ice King tries to make his fan fiction come to life, and literally the book it's written in comes to life and just farts in Ice King's face and makes "durrrr" sounds - another great scene about the internet in a tv show.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

skooma512 posted:

By watching, I'm mean it playing on my work laptop while I play Civ 5. It's ok but I'm not compelled to
actively watch it.

I'm on Season 2 and it's picked up slightly. Is there a golden age sweet spot set of seasons I should be looking for to?

Season 3 is probably where it starts getting best, the mytharc actually starts getting interesting and not bland and the MotW episodes have some good ones in there.

edit: which is probably true of every single show out there come to think of it

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

tuluk posted:

So the mentalist is revealing who red john is tonight, barring no football rescheduling.
Insane guess time: red john is really rigsby or CBI agent Ron (dude with the goatee in the CBI office).

I have not watched yet, but my best guess is this is another red herring like Bradley Whitford and there are a couple episodes left in the season so Red John is a group of people, not one singular person.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bad day posted:

I have not watched yet, but my best guess is this is another red herring like Bradley Whitford and there are a couple episodes left in the season so Red John is a group of people, not one singular person.

The last Red John episode of the series is next week. And he is just one person as revealed in tonight's episode. It's already on Twitter because it already aired in Canada. After next week there's a big time jump of a few years I believe.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Deadpool posted:

The last Red John episode of the series is next week. And he is just one person as revealed in tonight's episode. It's already on Twitter because it already aired in Canada. After next week there's a big time jump of a few years I believe.

To me the biggest surprise was that they killed off 3 Red John suspects in the bomb blast and just gave it a casual mention.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

To me the biggest surprise was that they killed off 3 Red John suspects in the bomb blast and just gave it a casual mention.

I'm watching it right now, and even though it was spoiled on Twitter for me earlier I feel like it's landing a little soft. I'm thinking this might be one last red herring. At least I'm hoping so. I have no problem with who it is, but the reveal came off soft.

X-O fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 18, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Deadpool posted:

I'm watching it right now, and even though it was spoiled on Twitter for me earlier I feel like it's landing a little soft. I'm thinking this might be one last red herring. At least I'm hoping so. I have no problem with who it is, but the reveal came off soft.

Well they never confirmed he was Red John. Jane is just assuming he is. So yea, I am expecting one last twist as well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Well they never confirmed he was Red John. Jane is just assuming he is. So yea, I am expecting one last twist as well.

Well, after the press conference scene I think it's probably a red herring. Because I don't see Jane just announcing who it is like that. He wants Red John for himself and that makes it much less likely to happen.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Well, they never did actually explain what happened in the cabin. There was a mysterious gunshot, and then shortly after an explosion.

I was pleasantly surprised that they did explain why Red John seemed to have a ton of followers in law enforcement: They were not all followers of Red John, they were members of "The Blake Group", which is a group of corrupt aw enforcement people in the State of California, who help each other out, covering up misdeeds and corruption. The group uses the passphrase "Tiger Tiger" as a distress phrase/identification cue. Red John is a member of the group.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
It's a great way to freshen up the storyline of the show, but still keeping the fundamental idea the same. Now it makes more sense for how Jane kept getting outplayed again and again.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

skooma512 posted:

actively watch it.

That season and the next is probably the best the show gets. There's certainly tiers of quality and good episodes through the whole run but seasons two and three were when things were firing on all cylinders and hadn't started to slip.

Just remember that the storyline episodes may be intriguing now but never actually go anywhere. It's the monster of the week episodes where the show can really shine. Also, feel free to get out when you just can't take it any more. Ask people for a list of good episodes that follow that point, just watch those, and be done with the show.

I remember when the X-Files was airing and I realized that the arc episodes were pointless. Fortunately for me that was at the start of season three. I know some unfortunate souls who got dragged along for much, much longer.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I remember watching and really loving X-Files when I was young because it was just this cool show where two detective like people running around the country investigating crazy stuff from horror movies and campfire stories each week. Then it started to get all about some crazy alien/government conspiracy and I lost interest. I'm glad to learn almost 20 years later that I got out at the right time and didn't miss much.

Its funny we were talking Supernatural earlier because during my current marathon I realized that Supernatural is basically what I loved about X-Files when I was a kid. Two detective like people running around the country investigating crazy stuff from horror movies and campfire stories each week. And it apparently had a much better story arch.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Yo, tonight at 1:30, Adult Swim is rerunning Moral Orel, which starts off...not great, but few other shows have made the bad times as retroactively worthwhile as Moral Orel has. If you're still up, set your DVRs now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I can't recall a single episode of Moral Orel that didn't make me laugh my rear end off.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I can't recall a single episode of Moral Orel that didn't make me laugh my rear end off.

Or make you want to cry. That third season is about as harrowing as television can get. It's amazing how much it grew as the show progressed.

Wasn't there talk of a movie or something to cover Dino's fourth season ideas we never got to see? Whatever happened to that?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Or make you want to cry. That third season is about as harrowing as television can get. It's amazing how much it grew as the show progressed.

Wasn't there talk of a movie or something to cover Dino's fourth season ideas we never got to see? Whatever happened to that?

I don't know about that, but I know there was a special called Beforel Orel.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

A year ago he kickstarted a movie called Anomalisa, I'm not a backer so I have no idea how that's coming along.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I really need to rewatch Moral Orel sometime

UR MR GAY
Oct 26, 2007
Oh drat, what the gently caress happened to the AV Club? This layout is abysmal.

Where am I suppose to read my TV reviews now?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The first time I remember X-Files getting a huge amount of attention was the Season 2 finale and the Season 3 premiere, I think those were the episodes with the old Navajo guy. It was pretty big deal for a few seasons after that.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

precision posted:

Tupping Liberty posted:

in Adventure Time when the Ice King tries to make his fan fiction come to life, and literally the book it's written in comes to life and just farts in Ice King's face and makes "durrrr" sounds - another great scene about the internet in a tv show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_24p1ht9v8

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

UR MR GAY posted:

Oh drat, what the gently caress happened to the AV Club? This layout is abysmal.

Where am I suppose to read my TV reviews now?

Yep, it's one of the worst redesigns I've seen. Awful.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Tons of empty, white space and boxy layouts filled with big screenshots and tiny bits of text are all the rage in web design these days, and I haven't met a single person who actually likes it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh good. I thought I was the only person who was growing ever annoyed that the entire internet was picking up that hideous and indecipherable format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

VDay posted:

Tons of empty, white space and boxy layouts filled with big screenshots and tiny bits of text are all the rage in web design these days, and I haven't met a single person who actually likes it.

You haven't met anyone with iPad?

• Locked thread