Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Coughing Hobo posted:

You seem to be under the misconception that Doom would ever want to be less of a dick.

Someone needs to post the pages from the old Damage Control series where they go to collect a bill from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

muscles like this? posted:

My understanding of the Ultimate Nullifier is that it can destroy anything but it will almost certainly kill the user as well. Which is why they don't just bust it out at every threat.

It's worse than that. You have to visualize what you want to destroy perfectly and exert your will to make it work, and the slightest slip in concentration can cause the blast to veer wildly out of control and engulf everything that's around, up to and including the entire universe.

It's also fairly likely to destroy the user, simply because it's hard not to think about yourself at all.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Am I understanding the joke correctly in assuming the watcher just made up the UN and it's some household item?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

^^^ e: no it's a real thing, it came from Galactus' secret base. The joke in that FF comic is that Uatu recognises that it's not the Ultimate Nullifier, and Scott knew he would, but he's the Watcher and can't stop interfering with humanity so he plays along with it because it gives him a solid alibi for helping if the Council try to get him therapy.

Blaxploitation Cage aside, these panels are basically the distilled essence of a good Doom.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 17, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Tremendous Taste posted:

Am I understanding the joke correctly in assuming the watcher just made up the UN and it's some household item?

I'm pretty sure the joke is that Lang has something that isn't the Ultimate Nullifier, but he and Uatu are pretending it is because the Watchers obviously can't blame Uatu for bowing to the demands of a madman with THE GREATEST WEAPON IN THE UNIVERSE.

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

Tremendous Taste posted:

There is an actual Ultimate Nullifier, that is not it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mr. Maltose posted:

I'm pretty sure the joke is that Lang has something that isn't the Ultimate Nullifier, but he and Uatu are pretending it is because the Watchers obviously can't blame Uatu for bowing to the demands of a madman with THE GREATEST WEAPON IN THE UNIVERSE.

The best 'use' of the Ultimate Nullifier is in the Space Punisher book. I won't spoil it here.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Uthor posted:

I don't think it's anything. Or just a replica. Rereading it, I think Lang is just saying it's the Ultimate Nullifier so that Uatu has plausible deniability and just keeps repeating it until Uatu "gets it".

It's quite clearly a coat hook.I mean it obviously was the real Ultimate Nullifier or one of the ultra-perceptive ultra-disciplined Watchers would never have been fooled!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The best 'use' of the Ultimate Nullifier is in the Space Punisher book. I won't spoil it here.

Having just picked that up in trade, I second that. Such a great ending.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ghostlight posted:

Blaxploitation Cage aside, these panels are basically the distilled essence of a good Doom.

"My renowned good nature :doom:"

Oh Doom :allears:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think he only fought in the Civil War in the terribad Wolverine Origins movie.

I coulda sworn he had a picture of himself and some soldiers, but then again I am not an avid comics reader, and the "history" of comic world is always incredibly fluid.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

My understanding of the Ultimate Nullifier is that it can destroy anything but it will almost certainly kill the user as well. Which is why they don't just bust it out at every threat.

Mark Grunewald had it annihilate anything in the user's awareness. In theory a zen master could use the nullifier and only wipe out of existence what they want to wipe out, but I woudln't want to bet on it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Does anyone have that Marvel Adventures Avengers page where Galactus is like, "You would never be bold enough to use the Nullifier!" and Spider-Man just casually presses it?

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Gavok posted:

Does anyone have that Marvel Adventures Avengers page where Galactus is like, "You would never be bold enough to use the Nullifier!" and Spider-Man just casually presses it?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Awesome. drat, that was a fun series.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

Soooo, uhhh, dare I ask how it didn't end all life as they knew it?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Roxors posted:

Soooo, uhhh, dare I ask how it didn't end all life as they knew it?

Baseball.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yeah, He is anywhere between 170 and 200(+?) years old at this point. He fought in the drat Civil War.
Or was all that retconned?

Johnny Aztec posted:

I coulda sworn he had a picture of himself and some soldiers, but then again I am not an avid comics reader, and the "history" of comic world is always incredibly fluid.
Wolverine: Origin (the mini-series) established that he was born in the 1880s, which means he wouldn't have been born at the time of the Civil War. It's entirely possible something published prior to that showed him with some soldiers, but Origin is his official origin and hasn't been retconned to my knowledge.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Well, of course Origins is the current "canon" history. We're talking about a guy that took a nuke to the face and regenerated from a single drop of blood.
They play rather fast and loose in regards to Wolverine(and his history)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All memories showing events prior to the time frame of Origin have been all deemed to be memory implants.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I know we are talking about perfect Doom but that seems to be a perfect Spider-Man panel.

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?

Mooseontheloose posted:

I know we are talking about perfect Doom but that seems to be a perfect Spider-Man panel.

This is especially true if he used his Spidey Sense. What happens next?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Endless Mike posted:

Wolverine: Origin (the mini-series) established that he was born in the 1880s, which means he wouldn't have been born at the time of the Civil War. It's entirely possible something published prior to that showed him with some soldiers, but Origin is his official origin and hasn't been retconned to my knowledge.

The big comic books have that roving continuity thing, don't they? Like, that's how Batman's always 35 or something? Maybe back when Wolverine was introduced decades ago, he was supposed to have been alive in time for the civil war, but now they've moved that up to more turn-of-the-century. In another couple decades, Wolverine will have cut his teeth on the Great War.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Magneto Rex posted:

This is especially true if he used his Spidey Sense. What happens next?

Baseball.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dolash posted:

The big comic books have that roving continuity thing, don't they? Like, that's how Batman's always 35 or something? Maybe back when Wolverine was introduced decades ago, he was supposed to have been alive in time for the civil war, but now they've moved that up to more turn-of-the-century. In another couple decades, Wolverine will have cut his teeth on the Great War.

Wolverine's one of maybe 3 characters in the Marvel universe who can have his birth and origin stay in the same time period without really creating some kind of obvious dissonance (like Reed Richards yelling about beating the commies to space, for example).

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
At this point you could probably retool the Fantastic Four to Reed wanting his private spacecraft to be the first one in orbit, and that's why he rushed the launch.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

CapnAndy posted:

At this point you could probably retool the Fantastic Four to Reed wanting his private spacecraft to be the first one in orbit, and that's why he rushed the launch.

How do you retool Magneto? WW2 will be 100 years old soon...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
^^ Magneto has been deaged and he has his daughter that can change his age.

Lurdiak posted:

Wolverine's one of maybe 3 characters in the Marvel universe who can have his birth and origin stay in the same time period without really creating some kind of obvious dissonance (like Reed Richards yelling about beating the commies to space, for example).

I assume the characters are Wolverine, Magneto, Red Skull, Captain America, Fury, and the Howling Commandos?

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Mister Roboto posted:

There are no worries about age as long as someone resorts to a "de-aging" machine.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

bobkatt013 posted:

I assume the characters are Wolverine, Magneto, Red Skull, Captain America, Fury, and the Howling Commandos?

Namor too, since Atlanteans age differently.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dolash posted:

On the other hand, Scrooge McDuck was born in 1867 and he died in 1967.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

CapnAndy posted:

Reed's goal to pioneer commercial spaceflight, like Virgin Galactic?

Mister Roboto posted:

Eastern European descendant of Holocaust survivors who experienced the Cold War in the Eastern Bloc?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

You're all missing the simplest answer for Wolverine. He's an avid Civil War reenactor in his down time.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Knormal posted:

You're all missing the simplest answer for Wolverine. He's an avid Civil War reenactor in his down time.

"The South will rise again, bub." -Wolverine

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

goldenoreos posted:

There are no worries about age as long as someone resorts to a "de-aging" machine.

Not to mention all they have to do is ~science~ up some loving reason that because he's the Master of Magnetism and iron is so important to human/mutant/earthling physiology, that he's able to keep the iron in his body super-purified to the point where his blood is the perfect antioxidant. Hence, slow aging...and the only reason he looks older is because he's quite literally the Angry Old Man of the Marvel universe and he's always stretching his entire face to SCREAM OUT HIS BELIEFS!

Honestly, though - the -what the gently caress- about Magneto is for as near-permanently as he wears that helmet, he should be balder than Chuck.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Honestly, though - the -what the gently caress- about Magneto is for as near-permanently as he wears that helmet, he should be balder than Chuck.

Why would that cause baldness? Lack of oxygen to the follicles?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

Why would that cause baldness? Lack of oxygen to the follicles?

Compression of the head, lack of sunlight or yes, oxygen, the sweating that undoubtedly comes from wearing a helmet all the loving time...

They've pretty much disproved that wearing *hats* often causes baldness, but helmets seem like they'd be another story.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

All these Magneto questions already have an answer: Secondary mutation. He always looks like that because of a very specific mutation.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Crowetron posted:

All these Magneto questions already have an answer: Secondary mutation. He always looks like that because of a very specific mutation.

But then it starts raising all kinds of questions about things like how old his kids are, how he met Xavier, etc. Was he inactive for decades before his outings as a mutant terrorist, or were the X-men founded 50 years ago? Even the X-movies' timeline barely makes sense, and it's almost entirely because of Magneto's specific origin being impossible to detach from the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Who cares

• Locked thread