Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bimmi posted:

Absolutely incredible buildup of the MG Nu ver.Ka.

Y'all need to check this poo poo if you haven't already – almost every part is reshaped or tweaked and the craftsmanship is stunning. Easily the best buildup I've seen all year, maybe the best I've EVER seen.

The downside is that I want to throw all my kits in the garbage now, but still holy gently caress.

Fuuuuuuuuuck, look at that. Too bad I'd need to recruit an ant farm to get all those decals on. Is this one of those $300 kits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Nope, just a regular old pla kit modified by an incredibly talented crazy person.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ACanofPepsi posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuck, look at that. Too bad I'd need to recruit an ant farm to get all those decals on. Is this one of those $300 kits?

No, the base kit is like $60:

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN978604/Gun

Note that it's the much newer ver Ka of the Nu Gundam.

The guy put an insane amount of effort into remaking many of the parts for it.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The modeler's original forum post, with further in-progress and closeup shots, is here.

Also, more pics of that sweet Zugock.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 16, 2013

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

My First Gundam by Sporklift

I have always thought giant robots were cool so I decided to buy a Gundam as they seem to be the premier giant robot brand. I have never seen the show but I liked the aesthetics of them for the most part and they also seemed to be aimed at beginners.

I think I put about 3 hours in. I just wanted to see the complete thing and wasn't going obsessive detail.

The Hobby Shop Story

I hadn't built a model in about 25 years so I was a little apprehensive about visiting my local hobby shop. The first trip was great with the guy helping me out with paints and offering to order me more stuff if I needed. The second trip in was to grab the pen and this other dude behind the counter sighs deeply and says, "Ug. Another one of THEM." Nodding to the group of table top gamers for approval. He then says something about models being better than women blah blah. I really wanted to finish my model so I bought the poo poo anyway but I almost put the things back and got them from Amazon. Dude probably spergs over minute WWII poo poo.

Anyways. I had fun with the first one and am thinking about my next build.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 18, 2013

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bimmi posted:

The modeler's original forum post, with further in-progress and closeup shots, is here.

Also, more pics of that sweet Zugock.

apparently this insane model has sold for $10k at auction. Thats awesome and i hope the builder feels it was worth the time.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sporklift posted:

I have always thought giant robots were cool so I decided to buy a Gundam as they seem to be the premier giant robot brand. I have never seen the show but I liked the aesthetics of them for the most part and they also seemed to be aimed at beginners.

I think I put about 3 hours in. I just wanted to see the complete thing and wasn't going obsessive detail.

[br]
[br]

The Hobby Shop Story

I hadn't built a model in about 25 years so I was a little apprehensive about visiting my local hobby shop. The first trip was great with the guy helping me out with paints and offering to order me more stuff if I needed. The second trip in was to grab the pen and this other dude behind the counter sighs deeply and says, "Ug. Another one of THEM." Nodding to the group of table top gamers for approval. He then says something about models being better than women blah blah. I really wanted to finish my model so I bought the poo poo anyway but I almost put the things back and got them from Amazon. Dude probably spergs over minute WWII poo poo.

The Serpent from Endless Waltz, yes? I've not built that one myself, but I remember it coming out around 1999 or so. My first Gundam was a 1/144 Wing Zero from the same time period. If you go for a newer kit, you will probably enjoy building it even more! I didn't panel line until way later, you're doing better than I was!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

sporklift posted:

Just to warn you now: Gundam model kits have advanced IMMENSELY since that Serpent Custom was made. Prepare to have your mind blown if you buy something new-ish.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Also, since no one else seems to be mentioning it, your hobby shop worker was a real rear end in a top hat.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

sporklift posted:

He then says something about models being better than women

"How would you know?"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, seriously.

I haven't bought a gunpla kit in quite a few years, but after seeing the MG Heavyarms Custom for 25% off, I had to grab one while I could. It looks incredible, when I'm in a building mood I will fully revel in assembling that beauty.

Fauxtool posted:

apparently this insane model has sold for $10k at auction. Thats awesome and i hope the builder feels it was worth the time.
What level of customization is it? Is it a fully custom model, or a kit he modified, or what? It's one of the snazziest painted gunpla I've seen, at any rate. I've got a soft spot for that particular suit even if it's goofy as hell.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Modified kit.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

I've seen this guy's work for years now, he's made his own mg versions of destiny kits, like the saviour. He sells them quite often. I'm guessing it's one of his primary methods of income.

sporklift posted:

Jesus. The hobby shop I've gone to for years to is all tanks and planes and stuff, but they never gave a crap what I worked on. I think I'm the only guy working on gundam kits there. You'd think for such a guy running a niche hobby store would be smart enough not to piss off any potential customers.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Midjack posted:

The Serpent from Endless Waltz, yes? I've not built that one myself, but I remember it coming out around 1999 or so. My first Gundam was a 1/144 Wing Zero from the same time period. If you go for a newer kit, you will probably enjoy building it even more! I didn't panel line until way later, you're doing better than I was!

Yup. Bought it for $12 as a starter/practice kit. I assume the stuff in this price range on Amazon is the older stuff? Gonna buy one more cheepo for more practice.

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, seriously.

I haven't bought a gunpla kit in quite a few years, but after seeing the MG Heavyarms Custom for 25% off, I had to grab one while I could. It looks incredible, when I'm in a building mood I will fully revel in assembling that beauty.

I was looking at this one...

http://amzn.com/B0006N149M

Don't know if I am ready to commit to that much painting though.

This is another one I am eying.

http://amzn.com/B005QKF6MQ

Kurui Reiten posted:

Also, since no one else seems to be mentioning it, your hobby shop worker was a real rear end in a top hat.

Yup. The first guy was cool though ( I think he was the owner ). I'll just remember to go in on that day. I laugh at stories about THAT GUY in the BSS sub-forum. First time I have run into one around here. I have three comic stores that I frequent and none of them employ douches like that.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 18, 2013

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The Buster will be significantly better engineered than the Heavy Arms you linked. Newer models (pretty much anything after 2003, and improving from there) will also have more plastic colors and this less mandatory painting. Generally, anything labeled HGUC is pretty good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you're looking for a good easy firepower-heavy kit (I love'em too), check out the HG Gundam Seravee GNHW/M.

http://amzn.com/B002K74NTK.

Kurui Reiten posted:

The Buster will be significantly better engineered than the Heavy Arms you linked. Newer models (pretty much anything after 2003, and improving from there) will also have more plastic colors and this less mandatory painting. Generally, anything labeled HGUC is pretty good.

Is that HG Remaster Buster any good? I'm wary of Non-RG SEED Kits in general.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is that HG Remaster Buster any good? I'm wary of Non-RG SEED Kits in general.

It's the same lovely HG Buster Gundam with a slightly brighter plastic. The MG Buster is the only Buster worth buying.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah, I didn't say it would be good. Just better engineered. It's still a pretty loving generic looking suit, and it's still a pre-00 non-HGUC HG. It's not going to be terrible, but it's not going to be a beautiful marvel either.

If you want a same-scale Wing model, Bandai recently released the Wing Gundam in their updated HG line, which is pretty nice. You can see it here.

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 18, 2013

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I built a Jesta Cannon this evening, which also has a lot of gun. It also came with another shield assembly, so I was able to do a double shield Jesta with a bit of trimming.

SpikeMcclane fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 18, 2013

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I got a Jesta Cannon for my birthday, it's still one of my favorite kits I ever built. Also I got really bored the other night with an HG GM and well...

I ended up drilling a couple holes in the backpack and gave it the SMG from the GM Sniper II because really there's no point to using any other weapons on that unit.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 18, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

sporklift posted:

I was looking at this one...

http://amzn.com/B0006N149M
This one was the one I meant.
http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Gundam...eavyarms+custom

The original 1/144 Heavyarms Custom, much as I loved it at the time, really kinda sucks.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Ordered up a HGUC Ez8 from robot4less and some other hobby stuff, though they were out of the kits, so its gonna be a few weeks before i get it. I'm excited, it'll be my first Gunpla, though I've played Warhammer 40k and Flames of War so I've got some experience putting stuff together and painting. Went through my Flames of War paint that i haven't touched in a year and got them all shook up and ready, was very surprised how well the paint has stood up, if it was a paint from Games Workshop it would of been dried up and useless.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So on a whim and expiring ten dollar off coupon, I bought the Valvrave I HG today and jesus christ man. This thing is going to need so much work to look pretty.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The Valvrave kits have an impressive amount of surface detail actually, so it's more that you just have to spend a ton of time masking/painting instead of using the million and a half stickers provided.

In other news, yesterday the club met again and started work on those HG AGE-1s. Surprisingly, Spallow and Normal were much more popular than Titus. Most of the members got about halfway (though one guy somehow built his entire Normal in just an hour and a half), and it's kind of embarassing how much better their first HGs look compared to mine. I know it's because they're using legitimate equipment instead of "whatever I could find around the house" and I'm helping, but it just feels so depressing. :negative:

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

The Valvrave kits have an impressive amount of surface detail actually, so it's more that you just have to spend a ton of time masking/painting instead of using the million and a half stickers provided.

In other news, yesterday the club met again and started work on those HG AGE-1s. Surprisingly, Spallow and Normal were much more popular than Titus. Most of the members got about halfway (though one guy somehow built his entire Normal in just an hour and a half), and it's kind of embarassing how much better their first HGs look compared to mine. I know it's because they're using legitimate equipment instead of "whatever I could find around the house" and I'm helping, but it just feels so depressing. :negative:

Yeah I should have clarified. I want to paint to actually look pretty darn neat and get the weapons and stuff to not be clear. I'm trying to find a good see through neon-ish color for the effects parts. I kinda want to keep the green theme so it's similar to the eyes and such, but I've also thought about since it's powered by vampires using a sort of clearer dark red. I'm gonna paint the swords all silver then do the red and black handle effects with pens and go from there.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

I tried to panel line my first gundam wing hg with a toothpick and black paint when I started 10-11 years ago, so don't worry about it. If you start out with no clue what your doing and no one to guide you, it's gonna end up like crap.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So this has been floating around my facebook feed today.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That guy has done a lot. I remember a Rick Dias, he did, I think, and seeing it from other angles was loving funny.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

God I love seeing the Macross kits come up. I'd kill to find ones of Isamu's YF-19 and Basara's 19 Kai.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Hasegawa does the YF-19 in two different scales, and there's an older Bandai VF-19 Kai.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Tiffa! I believe in God!

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Am having to physically restrain myself from mashing the "preorder" button on that one.

What the heck is going on with the left leg? Some kind of show-specific battle damage?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Looks like a badly composited photo.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Apparently so: looks like some poor bastard had a seizure while using the clone stamp.

The shoulder, elbow and knee joints are apparently being singled out for some reason, wonder what's up with that?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bimmi posted:

Apparently so: looks like some poor bastard had a seizure while using the clone stamp.

The shoulder, elbow and knee joints are apparently being singled out for some reason, wonder what's up with that?

MG 3.0 tech, perhaps?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The 3.0 joint tech is more about sliding armor pieces, which doesn't look like it's going to be a thing here.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
It definitely says something about the armor but... gently caress if I know. It does mention a "best proportion gimmick" which seems pretty straightforward :shobon:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Do manufacturers usually include air hoses with their airbrushes?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kits come with hoses. Airbrushes generally dont. If it has a hose it will say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I see. I just found out the dude I moved in with has like a 24 gallon air compressor so I just need the brush and peripherals.

• Locked thread