Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
Vancouver gets the triple loss. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Kid Gloves posted:

I've been liking it more and more actually. Bound 2 is one of the best Kanye songs ever imo

I want to like that song but I just can't get over the mediocrity of the verses esp the 2nd one. But I do think Blood on the Leaves is one of the best Kanye songs ever.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
gently caress. My husband bought me tickets to the Columbus show for my birthday. Even if Kanye rescheduled - I'm having a baby next month - there's no way I can make it to another show. Totally bummed for bday weekend.

And yes to the Bound 2 love.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Son of a bitch Denver didn't get Watch the Throne or this tour, why have you forsaken us Yeezus?

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

blakout posted:

Son of a bitch Denver didn't get Watch the Throne or this tour, why have you forsaken us Yeezus?

So that KC could be added. 5 hour shorter drive for me. Praise Yeezus!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

blakout posted:

illuminati headquarters, comes with the territory

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Minneapolis was scheduled and skipped for Watch the Throne too. Ye just doesn't have a whole lot of draw around here I guess. Jay-Z is coming at the end of the month...I'm assuming at least.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

reflex posted:

Vancouver gets the triple loss. drat.

On one hand, I'm disappointed. On the other hand, this show was a bitch to get a decent ticket to [O'm picky] & I gave up. I hope those scalping agencies take a loss.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
Has it been confirmed whether Kanye was involved in the street fight gone viral?

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Jam2 posted:

Has it been confirmed whether Kanye was involved in the street fight gone viral?

lol that's not kanye, c'mon. Just some black guy wearing something similar to what kanye wears. Also you think Ye can throw fists that good? I like the guy but he couldn't even jack the camera from a fat pap that was huffing and puffing and out of breath.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Finally listened to Yeezus after getting over my self imposed block of post-graduation Kanye and....

What have I been doing with my life? New shits still awesome. Kanye has taught me how to embrace change.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Finally listened to Yeezus after getting over my self imposed block of post-graduation Kanye and....

What have I been doing with my life? New shits still awesome. Kanye has taught me how to embrace change.

Go listen to My Beautiful, Dark, Twisted Fantasy right now you fool. You drat fool.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Hell, even 808s is worth a listen. Not for everyone, but works for a lot of people (myself included).

Also WTT and first six tracks on Cruel Summer.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

Go listen to My Beautiful, Dark, Twisted Fantasy right now you fool. You drat fool.

Yeah I gave this a couple of spins again this week and it's definitely a masterpiece. I played the poo poo out of it when it came out but it never gets boring.

aquaticrabbit
Aug 2, 2004
When 808s came out I completely dismissed it as autotuned garbage after hearing whatever the first single was (Love Lockdown?). I couldn't believe Kanye would put out such nonsense.

A few years later I finally gave it a chance and realized how solid it was, and that a lot of the style carried over to the masterpiece that is MBDTF. I stand corrected.

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!
A few hours and I will be seeing Kanye live finally. It is a good day.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BrandNew posted:

A few hours and I will be seeing Kanye live finally. It is a good day.
Unless he decides to cancel on you :ohdear:

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Unless he decides to cancel on you :ohdear:

Hopefully his 60 foot led screen didn't get broken again.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I just got an event reminder from ticketmaster so I guess it's happening??!?!!? (DC)

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Wachepti posted:

I just got an event reminder from ticketmaster so I guess it's happening??!?!!? (DC)

I got a ticketmaster reminder two days before the canceled chicago show.

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Update: The Philly show happened and it was glorious.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I'm going to the Barclay's on Wednesday and I've never really listened to tribe before anyone got some suggestions?

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Low End Theory, everything else.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo!!!

I just saw the Boston show and I'm honestly kind of speechless. Every ridiculous thing you've heard about this tour is true, and yet somehow none of the reviews even come close to doing it justice. The set is astronomically elaborate (and gorgeous, btw), the crazy backup performers you've heard of [like the Jesus lookalike, the choir/Catholic mass/throne made out of nude women (well, in barely-there mesh suits but still), and the mountain demon] are all quite real, and Kanye goes through numerous insane costume changes like Genesis-era Peter Gabriel with way better hooks.

None of it should work in theory, and many of the reviews would give someone the impression that it's a bloated mess of self-indulgent craziness, but it all somehow comes together brilliantly.

It's a trip into Kanye's head- and when he puts the theatrics together with the music (make no mistake, this is legitimately a piece of theater), every seemingly discordant thing falls into place and you can't do anything but just lose your poo poo and eat it all up.

He's seriously a genius showman and performer, and at this point I'm pretty set in the idea that he's one of the foremost artists of this generation. With his ever-changing sound and obsession with image, he's David Bowie if Bowie had been way more famous in his own time.

I haven't spent more on a concert in my life and it was worth every loving penny.

Unfortunately, whoever did the sound EQ for Kendrick Lamar's set totally dropped the ball- because he and the great backing band were almost impossible to parse through the PA system. For some songs, the only way I knew what they were was because I've got all of Good Kid memorized at this point.

For those who've seen it- what was your favorite part?

Mine was the "why I talk so much poo poo" interlude in "Run Away." You could tell he was being totally sincere and it was bizarrely gratifying and surprisingly moving to hear an explanation for why Kanye is Kanye. Like, for all of his manic bizarreness, he's really self aware- and maybe, in a sense, he's never not performing. He's definitely an egotist but he genuinely adores what he does and there's no way he'd make the stuff he has if he didn't throw himself into it 150%. It took me a long time to figure it out, but I think that one of the things that sets Yeezy (and Kendrick too) apart from a lot of other rappers to me is his open sincerity. Talking big about yourself is a major part of hip hop, but instead of being aloof about it, 'Ye isn't afraid to be vulnerable about it. Also, "Coldest Winter" was loving heartbreaking.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo!!!

Well gently caress me. Here's hoping they tape a show from this tour and release it in some way, DVD, BluRay or as a downloadable, whatever.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Kendrick's just poo poo live tbh

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I disagree, Kendrick was very good in Oakland. Between the live band and the massive improvement in his stage presence since I saw him at Coachella '12 I really loved it.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Either you were lucky or I have been the opposite, I've seen him thrice now off of my Sec80 love (since GKMC hype started tho) and never got a decent show

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
He was so good in the BET cypher this year.

Some people just don't fit well into the 1-to-10,000 concert format.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Saw the tour in Philly. Just as insane as people say. Kendrick's set was good but people complaining about the EQ are right. His vocals were mixed horribly.

Binkie
Mar 20, 2004

Robble Robble Robble
Bought tickets to SLC. Cancelled.

Bought tickets to Columbus. Cancelled.

Thank god for StubHub's refund policy.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
Where, in the audience, have you all been booking your tickets?

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW

KidDynamite posted:

I'm going to the Barclay's on Wednesday and I've never really listened to tribe before anyone got some suggestions?

They'll probably only play poo poo from their first three albums which are all brilliant so maybe check those out

Jam2 posted:

Where, in the audience, have you all been booking your tickets?

If you still have a choice of where to sit/stand, as close to straight back from the stage as possible is the best. The mountain/screen are best viewed from head on as opposed to the side I think. GA pit is probably the best spot in the house for this show if you're up for standing with a bunch of other peopel

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It was a truly sick concert. Although it is fair to note that with the exceptions of Bound 2, New Skinhead, and Blood on the Leaves, the Yeezus tracks are much better enjoyed on the album (New Slaves, I Am A God, and Hold My Liquor were especially flat compared to how strong they are on the album)

HOWEVER, Runaway, Diamonds From Sierra Leone, Can't Tell Me Nothing, All of the Lights, Lost in the World, Power... all unbelievable. Don't miss.

The crazy poo poo all happened and I think it's sick that Kanye pushes the envelope like this. I think the theatricality really hit on Blood on the Leaves.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 19, 2013

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Bound 2 Video is out and yikes is it bad

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/11/watch-kanye-wests-video-for-bound-2-starring-kim-kardashian/

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 19, 2013

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Bound 2 never struck me as a track that would work well with a video, you would've thought if they were gonna make one they'd pull out all the creative stops to make it work. Nope, stock footage and elle magazine cover style shots of kim kardashian all the way

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
Honestly, the best part about Bound 2 video was the opening. Remarkable. As for the video in its entirety ... meh. More could have definitely been done.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

I just noticed that the price for General Admission tickets at Barclays Center dropped from $183 to $105 on Ticketmaster. I keep not learning my lesson when it comes to GA tickets at arena shows. If that's a more palatable price to those who held out, though, go for it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Wow. Can you get a refund if you bought them at 186? I'm going to assume not, take the L, and enjoy myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

KidDynamite posted:

Wow. Can you get a refund if you bought them at 186? I'm going to assume not, take the L, and enjoy myself.

Probably not. I think it's part of the dynamic pricing scheme that Ticketmaster sometimes rolls out when an event isn't selling well.

• Locked thread