Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Man, I've been watching and playing on Showdown, and I'm pretty sure a good half of the matches I've seen can be summed up as "pick the obvious lead, do its obvious gimmick, if it doesn't work instantly leave." I guess it's time to channel my inner Go player and accept that as an honorable surrender.

I've only played on showdown for a little bit, but I feel like the general skill level isn't very high around there. I'm really not sure where else to go for testing teams though. Is shoddy still active at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Just wondertraded with someone from North Carolina whose user message was "Jesus loves you" :stare:

What's so :stare: about that?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

GeckoMissingo posted:

I've only played on showdown for a little bit, but I feel like the general skill level isn't very high around there. I'm really not sure where else to go for testing teams though. Is shoddy still active at all?

It's the start of a new gen so a lot of people rush to it.

On top of that you actually get matched with people around your skill level, so if you keep winning you should get to a point where you're playing good players.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

GeckoMissingo posted:

Keep playing, increase your ranking, play better people.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Does anyone consider Gothitelle to be a good revenge killer this generation? I know she's outclassed by Mega Gengar by a wide margin, but a) I already have my Mega slot filled with Blastoise, and b) I just like her design. Problem is, every time she gets in for revenge she fails to actually faint a Pokemon-- only heavily damage it.

Here's what I'm currently running:

Lulu @ Choice Specs
Shadow Tag
Modest
252Sp.Atk/252Speed/4Sp.Def
Psyshock
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Energy Ball

I feel as though I should ditch her in favor of a Dugtrio, but I dunno. What do all y'all think I should do?

Thwack! fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Nov 18, 2013

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Stalgren posted:

He broke up with Jésus like 2 years ago, dude just won't stop stalking him.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Stalgren posted:

Religious people are kuh-razy dog. I've got a pamphlet written by our Lord and Saviour Richard Dawkins for you to read.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Friendly Factory posted:

Religious people are kuh-razy dog. I've got a pamphlet written by our Lord and Saviour Richard Dawkins for you to read.

Look let's be honest.
Anyone who puts "Jesus loves you" is as big of a weirdo as someone who sends you a Manky with "Religion is for sheeple".

No one loving cares what you do or do not believe is a good rule of thumb.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Well of course. But I'm not religious and I don't flip out if someone says "God bless you" to me or something. I'm sure Mr. North Carolina thought he was just being nice.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Friendly Factory posted:

Well of course. But I'm not religious and I don't flip out if someone says "God bless you" to me or something. I'm sure Mr. North Carolina thought he was just being nice.

Clearly not enough if it wasn't a Shiny or Hidden Ability starter :smugbert:

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought the joke was that he also got an elemental monkey from that person and anybody who sends elemental monkeys over WT has a special place in hell reserved for them. :catholic:

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Finally got the time over the weekend to fly through the rest of the game and beat the Elite 4. Looking to go on safari now.

5000-3130-8585 Quirkk in game.

How do friend codes work? I've only just got a 3DS and I've heard that you have to add each others code for it to work. Do you not get a notification when someone adds you?

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Quirkk posted:

Finally got the time over the weekend to fly through the rest of the game and beat the Elite 4. Looking to go on safari now.

5000-3130-8585 Quirkk in game.

How do friend codes work? I've only just got a 3DS and I've heard that you have to add each others code for it to work. Do you not get a notification when someone adds you?

You get no notification if someone adds you, unless you've already added them.

Oh, and if you'd like you can add me

FC: 2552-1483-9753
In-Game Name: Cerasha

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Added you, I'm 1934-0693-3941, IGN: Steve

You don't get a notification anywhere when someone adds you as far as I know, most people here use the trading thread in private game servers. Just post look at the most recent page and add the FCs you see and post asking them to add you back seems to work.

edit: you have a fairy type safari with kirlia and mawile so far

You'll know when they added you back cause you'll see their mii in the friend list and get access to their friend safaris.

Also, I'm not usually up this late, so does anybody know what the deal is when random japanese dudes ask me to trade? I accept and try to pass them something decent and all they do is reject. What do they want from me?

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Nov 18, 2013

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Nintendo really aren't good at this internet thing.... Added the both of you.

WarpedLichen posted:

Also, I'm not usually up this late, so does anybody know what the deal is when random japanese dudes ask me to trade? I accept and try to pass them something decent and all they do is reject. What do they want from me?

Clocking up pokemiles or something?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

WarpedLichen posted:

Added you, I'm 1934-0693-3941, IGN: Steve

You don't get a notification anywhere when someone adds you as far as I know, most people here use the trading thread in private game servers. Just post look at the most recent page and add the FCs you see and post asking them to add you back seems to work.

edit: you have a fairy type safari with kirlia and mawile so far

You'll know when they added you back cause you'll see their mii in the friend list and get access to their friend safaris.

You do get a notification if you go back to your 3ds friend list. It'll say that so and so got registered as so and so.

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009

WarpedLichen posted:

If they're showing you eggs, they're probably doing it to determine the shiny value / IVs of the egg in question through the program that does just that.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Countblanc posted:

Man, I've been watching and playing on Showdown, and I'm pretty sure a good half of the matches I've seen can be summed up as "pick the obvious lead, do its obvious gimmick, if it doesn't work instantly leave."

Why would anybody find this offensive? If they have a single gimmick for their team and built their team so poorly as to not have any sort of Plan B should it fail, it's less annoying for them to forfeit when it doesn't work than them wasting another 2 minutes of our lives making a futile attempt with the rest of their cobbled-together team.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Strange Quark posted:

You can buy Fire/Water/Leaf stones in the emporium in Lumiose. The others you can get through the respective super training secret trials via chance drops, e.g., Stunfisk trial gives Thunderstones, Gallade trial gives Dawn Stones, etc.

Though it's way more random and not really useful if you're looking for a specific stone (Super Training is better for that), you can also grab the four basic elemental stones from using Rock Slide on the dark brown boulders in wild battles.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
I had totally forgotten to post this when I beat the E4.

Anyway, I'm currently trying to breed 5 IV mienfoo and it's loving a pain in the rear end.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So uh... gently caress Nuzlocke rules on gym leaders, I refuse to follow them there! Paralyzed Whitney's Miltank at the start of the fight, and after a couple dozen turns when it TPKed me, it hadn't lost a single loving turn to paralysis!

So yeah! If the game is going to openly cheat, so I am. I think that's fair.

Oh, and here's a fun game: If you ever replay HG/SS - take a drink any time an attack that should, by all rights, KO an opponent instead brings them to 1HP. Endure is not involved here. You can take off 3/4 of their health in one hit and the next you use the move it does about 5HP and leaves them alive so they can finish you off!

Warning: May cause alcohol poisoning.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So people talk about what their favorite pokemon are a lot, but what about your favorite moves? I mean moves you really like for whatever reason. Sucker Punch is one of mine. It's just delightful to skip ahead in priority and sock a fool in the face for having the audacity to attack you. It feels really satisfying when you do stuff like OHKO a Mewtwo Y with it.

Gunk Shot is also one of my favorite moves just because the animation for it is incredible.

ChibiSoma posted:

So uh... gently caress Nuzlocke rules on gym leaders, I refuse to follow them there! Paralyzed Whitney's Miltank at the start of the fight, and after a couple dozen turns when it TPKed me, it hadn't lost a single loving turn to paralysis!

So yeah! If the game is going to openly cheat, so I am. I think that's fair.

Doing that kind of defeats the point of a Nuzlocke run. It's meant to be unfair and cruel.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I think it's a universal opinion that Earthquake is the best move

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So I Wonder Traded a bunch of Aqua Jet Belly Drum Marrils the other day and got a few cool things in return. A 5 IV, Jolly, Gale Wings Feltchling and a Modest Japanese Imposter Ditto.

jaik3n
Sep 18, 2009

Nessa posted:

So I Wonder Traded a bunch of Aqua Jet Belly Drum Marrils the other day and got a few cool things in return. A 5 IV, Jolly, Gale Wings Feltchling and a Modest Japanese Imposter Ditto.

I did the same thing. I had roughly 3 boxes of them.

I got some really amazing things in return. Like a 5IV japanese Klefki, and a Protean 4IV froakie.

Wondertrade is a really amazing feature.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
"Jesus loves you" is fine, try getting a guy from your own state with the message "Mpreg is love!"

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I'm really hating the 3v3 aspect of online battles. I don't like to run the most commonly done teams of 3, and it's really starting to kick me while I'm down. Mainly, I'm losing a lot to Gale Wing Talonflame, Poison heal Gliscor and Drought(Mega)Charizard.

I generally use:

Tyranitar (tyranitarite), Rhyperior (Assault Vest), Venusaur (Black Sludge): This team gets demolished by Drought MegaCharizard's instant Solar beams, and a flamethrower.

or

Venomoth (Focus Sash), Exploud (Choice Specs), Gengar (black sludge): This team loses constantly to Gale Wing Talonflames. Literally the only thing I can do, is sleep powder with Venomoth (as it's brought down to 1 HP from a brave bird via the focus sash), and pray it sticks more than 1 turn. It never stays asleep for more than 1 turn, and then proceeds to 1 shot the team with more brave birds.

Things could be countered much easier, were I to have access to additional mon's. Not to mention Stealth Rock being worth using.

I've noticed also that Tyranitar doesn't hit nearly as hard as I need him to, even with Maxed out attack IV's and EV's. Rhyperior generally kills what he hits, but is immediately slain outside of sand. Venusaur holds his own with a Sub-Seed build, but is easily countered with all the fire/flying going around.

What do you lot think? Should I just jump on the Talonflame bandwagon? Stop worrying and learn to love the bomb?

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Talmonis posted:

I'm really hating the 3v3 aspect of online battles. I don't like to run the most commonly done teams of 3, and it's really starting to kick me while I'm down. Mainly, I'm losing a lot to Gale Wing Talonflame, Poison heal Gliscor and Drought(Mega)Charizard.

I generally use:

Tyranitar (tyranitarite), Rhyperior (Assault Vest), Venusaur (Black Sludge): This team gets demolished by Drought MegaCharizard's instant Solar beams, and a flamethrower.

or

Venomoth (Focus Sash), Exploud (Choice Specs), Gengar (black sludge): This team loses constantly to Gale Wing Talonflames. Literally the only thing I can do, is sleep powder with Venomoth (as it's brought down to 1 HP from a brave bird via the focus sash), and pray it sticks more than 1 turn. It never stays asleep for more than 1 turn, and then proceeds to 1 shot the team with more brave birds.

Things could be countered much easier, were I to have access to additional mon's. Not to mention Stealth Rock being worth using.

I've noticed also that Tyranitar doesn't hit nearly as hard as I need him to, even with Maxed out attack IV's and EV's. Rhyperior generally kills what he hits, but is immediately slain outside of sand. Venusaur holds his own with a Sub-Seed build, but is easily countered with all the fire/flying going around.

What do you lot think? Should I just jump on the Talonflame bandwagon? Stop worrying and learn to love the bomb?

Get a Huge Power Azumarill with Belly Drum/aqua jet and expertience the sheer destruction brought forth by an adorable blue bunny. Laugh at all Blazikens and Talonflames as they crumble beneath your aqua jets.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Shouldn't Tyranitar's Sand Stream kick up sand over Charizard's Drought since it should be slower? That seems to be key in avoiding Solarbeams. Charizard basically falls pretty hard to STAB Stone Edge/Rock Slide and Tyranitar's SpDef boost in the sand can help it take any Special attacks.

Tyranitat-vs-Charizard, he's going (should) switch out. If he doesn't Substitute up and Dragon Dance or Curse your way to victory.

The other problem with your 3v3 is Tyranitar and Rhyperior share several weaknesses.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Uh, a tyranitar with 0 attack investment should 1 shot talonflame and mega charizard y with stone edge or rock slide, maybe just use that?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Talmonis posted:

I generally use:

or

I wouldn't use both Tyranitar and Rhyperior in 3v3, and I wouldn't use Venusaur without him being a Mega. Tyranitar and Venusaur unfortunately aren't the best partners either, at least assuming Venusaur is using Synthesis to heal, because the sandstorm will lessen Synthesis' healing. For the most part, your Pokemon are fairly viable, but you have to consider how well they work together, and how weak you are to common threats. Drought Charizard is actually beaten pretty hard by Tyranitar, assuming you save Tyranitar for last, because his Sand Stream will get rid of his instant solar beams. Just try changing up your strategies.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
As far as I can tell everyone I've seen in 3v3's has been packing a Rotom-W or Gyarados probably because it's a pretty good check to Talonflame.

I also hate the 3v3 format but more because I hate things like crits ruining my setup turn and stuff

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I honestly hadn't considered that Tyranitar should come in last. I was foolishly using him as a lead (thinking that his sand would be good to start off with). Azumarill would be a fun addition.

How does this team sound?:

Huge power Azumarill, (intimidate) MegaMawile, Technician Breloom

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
Just caught a shiny Pansear while targeting Larvesta :saddowns: Oh well, only took an hour and it might be good trading fodder later.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

My restored Jaw Fossil turned out to be a female Adamant Tyrunt, first time. :v: Man I'm going slow through this game-I want to see what the Friend Safari is all about and start breeding things with good IVs. Is the in game IV checker vague (so you have to battle to get accurate IVs), or is it more specific this generation?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Stalgren posted:

It's just sort of... blatant. Also, at the end of the day, most people playing this are kids, and sending messages like that to kids in this medium doesn't sit well with me. Preaching that sort of thing irl is fine, but I don't think it has much place on what is essentially a worldwide forum for kids.

BearDrivingTruck fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 18, 2013

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Battle Pigeon posted:

My restored Jaw Fossil turned out to be a female Adamant Tyrunt, first time. :v: Man I'm going slow through this game-I want to see what the Friend Safari is all about and start breeding things with good IVs. Is the in game IV checker vague (so you have to battle to get accurate IVs), or is it more specific this generation?

He tells you straight up if a pokemon has any 31 or 0 IVs and which they are.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Rudoku posted:

Each Friend Safari has 3 pokémon in it depending on type. You can only unlock the third pokémon by being online at the same time as the person on your Friend List. Unless you can do it locally.

I thought the third slot only opened if they beat the elite 4? I mean, still won't open them if you can't connect so it can see that people beat it, but I don't think the online thing is true, because I've gotten 3 different ones from other goons who've beaten the E4 but never seem to be online when I am.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

sword_man.gif posted:

"Jesus loves you" is fine, try getting a guy from your own state with the message "Mpreg is love!"

I personally have been sending random strangers 3 IV Cinccino's with the message "HAIL GAY SATAN" which I'm so happy is allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Wonder Trade of the day: I traded away a 4IV Jolly Skill Link Shellder w/egg move Rock Blast... received a Japanese 3IV Adamant Skill Link Shellder w/Rock Blast....

• Locked thread