Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Other OSes do it differently then, I guess? It seems odd that Windows must be resetting the CMOS time every time you change the Windows clock/DST happens/etc. Though yeah I guess it doesn't matter, so thanks! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Why are there bad neighborhoods full of criminals and good neighborhoods with law-abiding people? What makes criminals concentrate themselves in certain parts of town?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Baron Bifford posted:

Why are there bad neighborhoods full of criminals and good neighborhoods with law-abiding people? What makes criminals concentrate themselves in certain parts of town?
Having no credit and a felony record makes it tough to get a home loan.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Baron Bifford posted:

A very simple explanation: Since even if everyone was law abiding some people make more and some people make less money, there will always be some housing that is more expensive and some that is less expensive. Criminals (at least, those who aren't bankers / white collar criminals) tend to be poor and so will live in cheaper housing (along with law abiding lower income folk as well, naturally). Even if there are several poor areas that are evenly distributed, simply due to statistical chance there will be surges of crime and criminals in one (or more) of those areas. That scares away law abiding folk who live there -- no one wants to live next to a crackhouse or flophouse or w/e, unless you're actively participating in that industry. With less demand from law abiding folks for other homes or apartments in that specific area, supply / demand dictates that the price will fall, making it more attractive to lower class criminals, and it becomes a vicious circle.

It's more complex than that, of course. I read a fascinating NPR story a few years back .. or maybe heard it on This American Life or something. Anyway, New York has / had a huge problem with crime in the 80s / early 90s, far moreso than now. Muggings, assaults, rapes, vandalism, what have you. The prior approach had been traditional -- investigate crimes, try to arrest people, etc. It didn't have much effect on the crime rates. Rudolph Giuliani took an approach that seems very bizarre at first glance, advised by social scientists iirc. Basically, it was to repair all vandalism asap. Graffiti's subway cars would be repainted that day, no matter how often they were tagged. Broken telephone booths or whatnot would be fixed quickly. Basically, make the city look nicer. The result was that crime rates went down in areas where these policies were practiced. The theory went that just having busted park benches, overflowing trash cans, subway cars covered with graffiti, these were things that resulted in a lot of people just not caring and, odd as it may seem, would result in people being more likely to engage in those types of behaviors. I guess it's one thing to tag a building that's already covered with graffiti, but if it's clean and freshly painted maybe people on the margins of that activity might have second thoughts.

Wish I could find the article because it was really interesting. But I think that's part of the issue -- there are parts of any city that the city basically says "eh, not worth the trouble" and that leads to the increase in crime.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

A very simple explanation: Since even if everyone was law abiding some people make more and some people make less money, there will always be some housing that is more expensive and some that is less expensive. Criminals (at least, those who aren't bankers / white collar criminals) tend to be poor and so will live in cheaper housing (along with law abiding lower income folk as well, naturally). Even if there are several poor areas that are evenly distributed, simply due to statistical chance there will be surges of crime and criminals in one (or more) of those areas. That scares away law abiding folk who live there -- no one wants to live next to a crackhouse or flophouse or w/e, unless you're actively participating in that industry. With less demand from law abiding folks for other homes or apartments in that specific area, supply / demand dictates that the price will fall, making it more attractive to lower class criminals, and it becomes a vicious circle.

It's more complex than that, of course. I read a fascinating NPR story a few years back .. or maybe heard it on This American Life or something. Anyway, New York has / had a huge problem with crime in the 80s / early 90s, far moreso than now. Muggings, assaults, rapes, vandalism, what have you. The prior approach had been traditional -- investigate crimes, try to arrest people, etc. It didn't have much effect on the crime rates. Rudolph Giuliani took an approach that seems very bizarre at first glance, advised by social scientists iirc. Basically, it was to repair all vandalism asap. Graffiti's subway cars would be repainted that day, no matter how often they were tagged. Broken telephone booths or whatnot would be fixed quickly. Basically, make the city look nicer. The result was that crime rates went down in areas where these policies were practiced. The theory went that just having busted park benches, overflowing trash cans, subway cars covered with graffiti, these were things that resulted in a lot of people just not caring and, odd as it may seem, would result in people being more likely to engage in those types of behaviors. I guess it's one thing to tag a building that's already covered with graffiti, but if it's clean and freshly painted maybe people on the margins of that activity might have second thoughts.

Wish I could find the article because it was really interesting. But I think that's part of the issue -- there are parts of any city that the city basically says "eh, not worth the trouble" and that leads to the increase in crime.

I kind of subscribe to the Freakonomics theory. There was a dramatic dropoff in the crime rate across the board 13 years after Roe V. Wade.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The broken windows theory and the Freakonomics abortion theory are pop sociology concepts that aren't good starting points to understand crime.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
There's a theory that criminals will move into neighborhoods where lots of other criminals live because they'll have a culture of no-snitching-on-your-neighbors and it is easier to find partners to do crimes with.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kurzon posted:

There's a theory that criminals will move into neighborhoods where lots of other criminals live because they'll have a culture of no-snitching-on-your-neighbors and it is easier to find partners to do crimes with.

that's a pretty dumb theory

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

When poor people do a crime, it's because it's a characteristic of poor people. When rich people do a crime, they're just a bad apple!

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Lost For Words posted:

that's a pretty dumb theory

I read it in an academic text.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Here is an interesting article I read a while back stating leaded gasoline could have been the cause:

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/01/lead-crime-link-gasoline

It makes a compelling argument but I think bad socio-economic public policy decisions were the primary factor (some willfully and some unknowingly). Also the CIA encouraging the crack epidemic didn't help.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
If you live in an expensive house you pay more taxes. Taxes pay for policepeople.

Philadelphia is the strangest. In west phila headed west from Penn there is the area to about 44 or 45th that is patrolled by university police and is the safest area. Mind you I have seen yellow tape and cars riddled with bullets.

This is when it gets weird. Around 50th it's lovely and stays lovely for 5 or 6 blocks. Then houses get nicer and crime goes down for a few blocks, then gets lovely again. Could never figure it out. :iiam:

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Most supportive and durable work shoes I can find for under $150! I need it! Help?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thauros fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 2, 2020

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I would prefer steel toe but not essential. I am not sure about a boot, something a little smaller would be more comfortable for me. But what is most important is support of my underfoot. Thanks for the recommendations.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I've read that the NSA got many software firms to install backdoors in their security software. How did the NSA get them to cooperate?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

i am not so sure posted:

I would prefer steel toe but not essential. I am not sure about a boot, something a little smaller would be more comfortable for me. But what is most important is support of my underfoot. Thanks for the recommendations.

Get superfeet.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Red Wing makes amazing work shoes and boots but they aren't the cheapest.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Baron Bifford posted:

Poverty creates crime, and police treat poor people differently (much worse) than the well to-do.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I found out that the government built giant concrete arrows to help pilots with air mail delivery (obviously this was a long time ago). There's a website that lists the locations of all the known beacons, but can anyone help me figure out how to read the coordinates so I can search for them on Google Maps? There are a couple pretty close to my house and I want to check them out.

http://surveymarks.planetzhanna.com/airway-beacons-list-western-u-s/

The coordinates (for the arrows with known locations) look like this:

JE1695. The following values were computed from the NAD 83(1997) position.
JE1695
JE1695; North East Units Scale Factor Converg.
JE1695;SPC KS S - 590,749.176 689,076.044 MT 0.99996292 +2 01 56.8
JE1695;SPC KS S - 1,938,149.59 2,260,743.65 sFT 0.99996292 +2 01 56.8
JE1695;UTM 15 - 4,245,718.629 308,367.770 MT 1.00005227 -1 21 38.0
JE1695
JE1695 SUPERSEDED SURVEY CONTROL
JE1695
JE1695 NAD 83(1986)- 38 20 20.87892(N) 095 11 33.63838(W) AD( ) 3
JE1695 NAD 27 - 38 20 20.81200(N) 095 11 32.72800(W) AD( ) 3

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

So for ordering a PlayStation 4, Amazon gave me a coupon code for $30 off a Kindle Fire HDX 7. I'm not interested in it. Is it usable by others?

Is there some sort of Post Your Coupons thread in Coupons & Deals? I don't think one single-use coupon is good enough for a thread. Where can I post this?

EDIT: Never mind, there already exists such a thread.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Are there any famous, or see semi-famous, people that are confirmed to have a forums account?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I've never been tweeted at :( is there a notifier that tells me if I have?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Are there any famous, or see semi-famous, people that are confirmed to have a forums account?

Mike Nelson of MST3K/Rifftrax fame has an account and I think has done a few A/T threads.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Bob Weber Jr is a syndicated cartoonist who writes Slylock Fox and Comics For Kids. Death Ray is Jason Yungbluth, author of the Weapon Brown and Clarissa comics. Otterloop is Richard Thompson, author of the syndicated comic strip Cul de Sac.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
There's a goon that's currently (?) at the World Series of Poker (or some huge poker tournament).

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Baron Porkface posted:

I've never been tweeted at :( is there a notifier that tells me if I have?

I get emails if I have.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Dudebro posted:

There's a goon that's currently (?) at the World Series of Poker (or some huge poker tournament).

He finished second and won 5 million bucks.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Mr. Cool Ice posted:

He finished second and won 5 million bucks.

Jay Farber is a goon? drat, I had no idea...

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
The creator of Minecraft, Notch, but he apparently only posted 3 times in 1 day 7 years ago:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&username=notch

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It's a bit more niche but two of the writers for Adventure Time regularly post in the thread for that show in TVIV and a number of the regular posters in the goon tattoo thread in YLLS are well regarded tattooists.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I'm pretty sure Brian Clevinger, the author of the Atomic Robo series, has an account.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Is there a way for google drive to automatically pull a word doc from my computer and store it in my online drive? I'd rather not just work on the project in the drive because I've got special formatting and stuff that's going to go to be part of another document i'm working on. I've been periodically saving it and sending it to myself via email but I'd like to take an extra step just incase something were to happen to my computer last minute before I send it to myself on gmail or whatever

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Ropekid is James Sawyer, one of the lead developers for Obsidian Entertainment, who made Fallout: New Vegas. He regularly posts in the Fallout: New Vegas and Project Eternity threads explaining game design decisions.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Is there a way for google drive to automatically pull a word doc from my computer and store it in my online drive? I'd rather not just work on the project in the drive because I've got special formatting and stuff that's going to go to be part of another document i'm working on. I've been periodically saving it and sending it to myself via email but I'd like to take an extra step just incase something were to happen to my computer last minute before I send it to myself on gmail or whatever
I believe Drive will work for this, but I use Dropbox and I know for a fact it'll work.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Just use the Google Drive desktop application (it will make a Google Drive folder on your system), then save the item in the directory and work on it from there. I wrote my entire graduate thesis this way and never encountered any problems.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

thrakkorzog posted:

Ropekid is James Sawyer, one of the lead developers for Obsidian Entertainment, who made Fallout: New Vegas. He regularly posts in the Fallout: New Vegas and Project Eternity threads explaining game design decisions.

If video game people count both Cliff Bleszinski and Levelord have accounts although neither has posted in years.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Thauros posted:

If video game people count both Cliff Bleszinski and Levelord have accounts although neither has posted in years.

Vile Rat was Sean Smith, who was killed in the Benghazi attacks. Deadmau5 used to post here. I'm sure there are a ton more.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

unpronounceable posted:

I'm pretty sure Brian Clevinger, the author of the Atomic Robo series, has an account.

He does (or did) and I think, he was "Hyperactive". Might also recognize him from 8-bit Theater and other webcomics.

Also from the comics world, Chris Hastings, author/creator of Dr. McNinja and sometimes author for Marvel (and maybe DC?) used to post here. I think he still might occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

What's it called when something (typically a mineral crystal) is set in jewelry using metal like this? And how is it done?