Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

picosecond posted:

Hey, Charlie wrote a musical and made it possible for spydars to talk to cats. I'll take it as a compliment.

But if you're being for real, then I don't get the complaint. The Gang has been in so many insane situations, how many more could they possibly get into? Without repeating themselves and still being airable, anyway. I mean, I guess they haven't been in a plane crash or an S&M orgy but they aren't going to either for obvious reasons. Personally, I just want to see Mac's dad one more time so we can find out he named his kid Ronald McDonald.

I bet that's not the name on his birth certificate. I could imagine young Mac just being annoying as poo poo, hyped up on McDonald's food, and begging them to change his name to Ronald, and them acquiescing so he'll shut up. That seems something like his parents would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Apparently they had written an episode where the Gang goes on Family Feud. The Family Feud people were on board to do it, but FX wouldn't let it happen.

picosecond posted:

I mean, I guess they haven't been in a plane crash or an S&M orgy but they aren't going to either for obvious reasons.

Frank took Dennis to an S&M orgy, in "Mac & Charlie Die". It involved a bunch of shirtless fat guys in opera masks, and a buffet table.

h_double fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 17, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

h_double posted:

Apparently they had written an episode where the Gang goes on Family Feud. The Family Feud people were on board to do it, but FX wouldn't let it happen.

Frank took Dennis to an S&M orgy, in "Mac & Charlie Die". It involved a bunch of shirtless fat guys in opera masks, and a buffet table.

That wasn't an S&M orgy; it was a surf and turf orgy.

That pisses me off about Family Feud. FX is a dick.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Dammit I love Family Feud and that would have been awesome!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

h_double posted:

Oh, Goddamnit. That would've been awesome

quote:

Oooooorrrrrrrgyyyyyyyy.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

mojo1701a posted:

Oooooorrrrrrrgyyyyyyyy.

Its like a bad acid trip in here!

mwells_cubed
Aug 7, 2003

WOW

h_double posted:

Hey, do you guys think that shrimp was fresh or frozen?

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
They are out of ideas. They're either repeating themselves or doing whacky zany unfunny bullshit, it's almost at the point of self parody. Getting into Simpsons territory here, slowly sliding down that slippery slope. They either need to end it now or really rethink things.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

mojo1701a posted:

Oooooorrrrrrrgyyyyyyyy.

It sort of saddens me that when they do the "Previously on" for Mac And Charlie Die Part 2 and they replay that scene, Frank just says it normally :smith:

GlobalHero06
Jan 31, 2006
not a local hero

Mr. Unlucky posted:

They are out of ideas. They're either repeating themselves or doing whacky zany unfunny bullshit, it's almost at the point of self parody. Getting into Simpsons territory here, slowly sliding down that slippery slope. They either need to end it now or really rethink things.

nope.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Mr. Unlucky posted:

The trajectory isn't good, but I don't think it's as bad as you're saying. I rewatched recently, and if we're going by tiers for this season, I'd go...

Classic
none

Excellent
The Gang Broke Dee
The Gang Tries Desperately to Win an Award
Mac Day

Good
The Gang Gets Quarantined
Flowers for Charlie
The Gang Squashes Their Beefs

Eh
Mac and Dennis Buy a Timeshare
The Gang Saves the Day

poo poo
Gun Fever Too
Lethal Weapon 6

The proportion of really bad episodes has gone up in recent seasons, but I wouldn't want this canceled or anything.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
The problem is that with the proportions going up so quickly you soon will want the show canceled. Season 10 needs to be the last.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Mr. Unlucky posted:

So did you come up with this opinion without watching this season, or...?

Also Agronox's opinions are mostly right, except The Gang Saves the Day needs to get up to the Excellent group as does Flowers for Charlie.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Also, I really feel Lethal Weapon 6 deserved a lot more praise than people, and Agronax in particular, gave it.

And more generally, I have a lot of faith that the show can still create great episodes. I didn't really see any of the episodes we've seen thus far coming, not that I was ever thinking about it either.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
Why the sudden hate for The Gang Saves The Day? Best of the season, for me, even if it was very atypical and had very little interaction between characters.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

ShadyNasty posted:

Why the sudden hate for The Gang Saves The Day? Best of the season, for me, even if it was very atypical and had very little interaction between characters.

Because apparently people in this thread don't understand that comedy is incredibly personal and different people find wildly different things funny, and instead just complain over whether certain episodes were Objectively Funny or try to put them into categories/tiers/lists.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't think there has been a universally loved episode for this show since season 4. It's been weird like that.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

is there anyone who didn't like The Gang Buys A Boat?

that and The Gang Gives Frank An Intervention are two of the best ones they've done in the latter half of the series

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Why would anyone want a show to be cancelled. It's not even a serial show where it semi makes sense to be annoyed if the story winds up becoming progressively worse and you kinda feel like you've wasted your time following up on it. It's just a show meant to be funny, if you stop laughing you should stop watching, why on earth would you 'wish it was cancelled'?

As far as I'm concerned even if it becomes a stale lump of crap (which it really hasn't) I'd still hope that the gang would keep getting paid for doing what is probably a very fun job.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Why would anyone want a show to be cancelled. It's not even a serial show where it semi makes sense to be annoyed if the story winds up becoming progressively worse and you kinda feel like you've wasted your time following up on it. It's just a show meant to be funny, if you stop laughing you should stop watching, why on earth would you 'wish it was cancelled'?

As far as I'm concerned even if it becomes a stale lump of crap (which it really hasn't) I'd still hope that the gang would keep getting paid for doing what is probably a very fun job.

If The Simpsons had been cancelled a decade ago, the odds of randomly catching a good episode on TV would be much, much higher.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've been down this road with Scrubs, and Sunny isn't anywhere close to the ratio of mediocre-to-good episodes that Scrubs had during its later seasons. It's doing just fine.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

As much as I like the show, I'd still rather they end on a high than drive it into the ground.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Funny, I thought this season was the most consistently good for years.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

picosecond posted:

Hey, Charlie wrote a musical and made it possible for spydars to talk to cats. I'll take it as a compliment.

But if you're being for real, then I don't get the complaint. The Gang has been in so many insane situations, how many more could they possibly get into? Without repeating themselves and still being airable, anyway. I mean, I guess they haven't been in a plane crash or an S&M orgy but they aren't going to either for obvious reasons. Personally, I just want to see Mac's dad one more time so we can find out he named his kid Ronald McDonald.

Gee, if only there were people whose entire profession was to think up plot lines, and then write those plot lines into episodes, episodes which includes jokes. But since they don't exist I guess they will just open next season with a title card that says "sorry, we're out of ideas".

(Yes, you lack imagination. It's why you don't write tv.)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

VDay posted:

Because apparently people in this thread don't understand that comedy is incredibly personal and different people find wildly different things funny, and instead just complain over whether certain episodes were Objectively Funny or try to put them into categories/tiers/lists.

In that event you may as well close the thread and never come back, because if comedy is so subjective and personal that you can't even consider discussing it, why are you here?

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

Junkenstein posted:

I don't totally agree, but only because I think the last few seasons were strong as well.

I do get where people are coming from when they say it's been going downhill, though. The show definitely has a different feel some of the time, than in the early seasons, unlike some of you guys I just like where it's going.

For me, pretty much only Gun Fever Too: Still Hot and Lethal Weapon 6 were sort of sub par Sunny episodes, and they still had a lot of hilarious parts.

This show could be half as good and still be the funniest show on TV.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Agronox posted:

In that event you may as well close the thread and never come back, because if comedy is so subjective and personal that you can't even consider discussing it, why are you here?

Relax! I think the issue VDay is pointing out is when people try to put episodes into tiers and whatever with no personal input as to why. Just listing off what episodes are good or bad really doesn't do a whole lot for discussion either. A discussion would be saying what parts of episodes made them classics/run-of-the-mill/sub-par. That's why I pretty much always glaze over posts that offer no explanations of their opinions. It's more frustrating than anything, really.

Personally, I laughed so much during this season that I was consistently amazed as each episode went by. Frank alone was uproariously funny in almost every scene he's in. While the Gang did seem to take on caricatures of themselves at points, I feel like the amount of characterization and growth that was seen was really impressive. How many other shows were able to do that in their ninth season? And they were able to portray that in a variety of ways, i.e. The Gang Saves The Day for more of individual looks at the characters (besides Frank, the man just likes dawgs) and The Gang Gets Quarantined for a look at them as a whole with the realization of alcoholism and them doing nothing at all about it. Didn't they just get goofy on gas in the next episode anyways?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Junkenstein posted:

Last season was one of their best I thought, but after this season, I just don't know if the gang is a legitimate comedic force anymore.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

nasboat posted:

is there anyone who didn't like The Gang Buys A Boat?
The party on the boat Frank, Charlie and Dee have at the end is like the ultimate party I want to have. Some chilled out boat music, learning new dance moves and grilling fish with your buddies while out in the ocean sounds amazing.

Until the boat catches fire.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Junkenstein posted:

Yeah me too, the last few seasons have been hit or miss for me but I thought every episode this season was gold.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I thought this was the best season since maybe 5. I love them all though.

The only real stinker of an episode that I can think of, ever, is Frank's Brother. There's one or two funny jokes (mouth hoagies!) but it's a chore to watch that one.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

escape artist posted:

The only real stinker of an episode that I can think of, ever, is Frank's Brother. There's one or two funny jokes (mouth hoagies!) but it's a chore to watch that one.

Yeah, that's definitely one of the worst. It's entirely too close to just being a normal story of love and betrayal and whatever. It lacked the kind of insane antics an episode of It's Always Sunny really needs.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

escape artist posted:

Almost every single episode I have ever disliked has been better on a rewatch. There isn't any episode that I really can't stand to watch. The Gang Gets Trapped was initially boring to me, probably because I was watching with a friend who isn't really into Sunny but now it's one of my top 5 all time.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Junkenstein posted:

This. The only episode I didn't love was The Gang Squashes Their Beefs. The quality of the writing this season was outstanding. I can't imagine how anyone could think the writing was worse this season.

This season has made me realize that a LOT of people watch this show for completely different reasons than I do. For example, I wish they'd stopped bringing back Cricket a few seasons ago.

edit:

Barf Wight posted:

I don't totally agree, but only because I think the last few seasons were strong as well.

The show definitely has a different feel some of the time, than in the early seasons, unlike some of you guys I just like where it's going.

Mercaptopropyl fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 19, 2013

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Gadzuko posted:

Almost every single episode I have ever disliked has been better on a rewatch. There isn't any episode that I really can't stand to watch. The Gang Gets Trapped was initially boring to me, probably because I was watching with a friend who isn't really into Sunny but now it's one of my top 5 all time.

A million times this. There have been so many episodes that I've initially thought were kind of meh that became brilliant to me upon another viewing, "The Gang Gets Trapped" being one of them. I'm in agreement that the low-water mark was "Frank's Brother."

I can't say I get the posthumous hate that's bubbling up after Season 9. Yeah, some of the episodes fell a little flat sometimes, but there were some genuine gems in there. I don't think the writers or actors are just resting on their laurels and phoning it in now that they know they only have one season left, it's still just as consistently funny to me as it's always been.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Gang Gets Trapped was excellent. For me season 7, if it fell short, was mostly in the high school reunion episodes.

There was also a lot of stuff from last season that I thought was among their best, like The Gang gets Analyzed and Reynolds vs. Reynolds: The Cereal Defense.

I liked this season as well, I was only joking around when I said I didn't. Weak moments for me were Squashing the Beef and maybe Gun Fever 2. I was gonna say maybe the Timeshare episode but Frank being in that coil was great.

Anyway though by and large I thought 7 8 9 were all full of funny stuff so looking forward to season 10. As far as I know that's the last season they're signed for as of now.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Barf Wight posted:

I do get where people are coming from when they say it's been going downhill, though. The show definitely has a different feel some of the time, than in the early seasons, unlike some of you guys I just like where it's going.

I don't see how people keep saying this since each season has pretty different feels anyway. I am interested to see how many people didn't even get to see this season due to the FXX change, since the threads seemed like 1/4th as active than last season.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fast Luck posted:

There was also a lot of stuff from last season that I thought was among their best, like The Gang gets Analyzed and Reynolds vs. Reynolds: The Cereal Defense.

You left out CharDee MacDennis: Game of Games.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
It was weird that they were Asian, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

ultramiraculous posted:

It was weird that they were Asian, right?

The chips are off the table!!!!