Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rhyno posted:

So a goddamned kid dashed out in front of me in the parking lot today. I was going all of 10mph but he ran right at my front bumper so I swerved and slammed on the brakes. Still managed to curb the gently caress out of the front right wheel on the new Miata. Then he kid's mother screamed and yelled at me for almost killing her kid.

The last time a kid ran out in front of me... we'll just say he won't like his mother for a long time. I got a tiny glimpse of him hiding behind a car as I was coming down the street, so I was already going really slow. The tiny "erk!" from my tires was enough to send the mother into meltdown mode, just thankfully meltdown mode wasn't directed at me.

Carteret posted:

It's not really the 1/10 mile every 3 days thing, it's just that your state/town hates how old cars look, and want an excuse to tow abandoned looking vehicles. If you were to park a 2010 Camry in the same spot, as long as your tires weren't flat it would be fine for months, untouched.

One of my neighbors had a very clean, but unused, 89 Camry wagon parked in front of their house for a couple of years. They kept air in the tires, but all the tags were expired, and it didn't move an inch the entire time it was parked. It was supposed to go to their daughter when she turned 16; I guess it wasn't cool enough, as soon as she got her license the Camry disappeared and a 96-98 Civic took its place.

Meanwhile, another neighbor kept calling in my Altima and another neighbor's mid 80s Volvo for being abandoned, despite them moving daily (my Altima was pretty beat up, the Volvo was drat near mint). Said neighbor actually bragged about it when I bumped into him outside one day (we'd talked now and then, but he never knew what I drove)... he wasn't too happy to learn I was the owner of "that pile of poo poo Nissan" and drove it daily.

NIMBYs! :fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
Drove my housemate's '03 Focus a little while ago and noticed that the steering wheel shook violently over 100km/h and it had *extremely* vague steering for a car that had only done ~80000km.

She later told me that five years ago her ex drove it front left first into a gutter hard enough to crack the rim and tear the sidewall of the tire, and it had gotten progressively worse ever since.

On Wednesday I jacked the front end up, grabbed each front wheel and gave it a yank and got about two inches of play in and out and a series of clunks. Did it again with a work light underneath and saw the whole steering rack was moving.

Got underneath, and discovered that the left bolt securing the steering rack to the subframe was sheared off, the right one was undone and just sitting there, and the bolt that secures the upper part of the subframe to the frame rail above the left driveshaft was missing. Oddly enough, everything else on the left side was undamaged - LCA was unbent, ball joint didn't have any play in it, the tie rod was straight, and driveshaft was straight.

Today I jacked it up, pulled out the subframe, spent two hours very slowly drilling out the broken bolt stub (plus another hour removing the broken EZ out I first used), and put the whole shebang back together with new rack bolts (OEM bolts are NLA) and a new bolt to replace the one missing from the subframe.

Total cost to her? $12.50 for three new grade 8.8 bolts and some M12 stainless washers.

She's blown away, and says it drives like a brand new car. I'm not loving surprised...

I gave her the four used tyres I bought for my car (same size, and my secondhand wheels came with decent tyres) and she's getting them fitted and a wheel alignment next week.

Bass Ackwards fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 16, 2013

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Rhyno posted:

So a goddamned kid dashed out in front of me in the parking lot today. I was going all of 10mph but he ran right at my front bumper so I swerved and slammed on the brakes. Still managed to curb the gently caress out of the front right wheel on the new Miata. Then he kid's mother screamed and yelled at me for almost killing her kid.

Sigh.

I live on a street full of stupid children who play in the road all the time and can hardly be bothered to get out of the way of approaching vehicles. Their lovely parents apparently don't love them since they let their kids run around in the street at all hours. I'm always creeping when I roll down the street to avoid the situation you just described. Yeah, they don't give a poo poo now but Oh Lordy it is only the driver's fault in any kind of accident or near miss. I guess some people just see their offspring as potential settlements.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I put the new stover lock nuts on my spindles today. I inspected the 6 from the drivers side and found that one of them was different than the others, it had some indentations that should have been a clue to me. Although, when I got to the passenger side wheel, all 6 of them had markings that should have been a dead giveaway that these were special. Oh well, it's together now and feels good.

It gave me the confidence to drive on the freeway again, giving me a chance to stretch out the engine and test my new jets. It really has more power now and I easily got up to 75, but didn't want to push it since I forgot my wallet and was in a 65 zone. Also that kind of speed is reckless in a 40 year old pickup on all terrain tires.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I just remembered that when I was heading off to the town with all the garage sales yesterday a truck sucked a drink can up off the side of the road and it went somewhere. Heard a crunch when it hit the Niva but I never saw the can get spat out. Suppose I should go look for it.

That truck driver was a dick. He decided to overtake me in the 50(km/h) zone right before the 110 zone, so I was stuck behind him for over 40km doing 100km/h. The truck was weaving too badly to even consider overtaking it, especially with a low powered piece of farm machinery.

e: I suppose that's really a what will you do, but the can thing is really bothering me.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

My SHO was called in as abandoned parked in front of my own loving house. Even if not called in the cops don't even bother checking the registration half the time.

Technically it can still be 'abandoned' if it's being stored in front of your house, since it's a city street. Doesn't matter where it's registered. They would be assholes for not knocking on your door, but the law allows for that to happen.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Lubed up my caliper pins and bled my brakes. The fluid definitely needed to be changed and the pins were a little sticky so I'm glad I did it. I've noticed a lot more brake dust on the front driver's side wheel than on the passenger side so hopefully greasing those pins takes care of it. It brakes completely straight and there's plenty of meat left on both sets of pads so I don't think there's a major issue but I'm keeping an eye on it.

e: Oh and swapped out the plastic shift knob for an aluminum one. Looks a little goofy because it's brassish color but it was $10 shipped so I figured I would give that a shot and if I hated the feel of it I wouldn't be out much.

Galler fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 16, 2013

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Put my winter wheels on today while it was warm.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 17, 2013

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Nice GT-R.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

After searching for years I finally picked up an original '88 Sportbak for my car today. Needs a bit of TLC, but, is in otherwise great condition. Going to keep it the original silver color as well as Nissan only sold it in silver to emphasize that the hatch was modular and replaceable (See: http://hooniverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Pulsar.jpg)

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

PhoenixWing posted:

After searching for years I finally picked up an original '88 Sportbak for my car today. Needs a bit of TLC, but, is in otherwise great condition. Going to keep it the original silver color as well as Nissan only sold it in silver to emphasize that the hatch was modular and replaceable (See: http://hooniverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Pulsar.jpg)

That's awesome. I always wanted one with a sportbak. Now that you have it all polished up, it looks even better with the silver.

Edit: You have the chrome rings and center covers to go with the steelies?

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Poisonlizard posted:

That's awesome. I always wanted one with a sportbak. Now that you have it all polished up, it looks even better with the silver.

Edit: You have the chrome rings and center covers to go with the steelies?

I wasn't aware they made covers like that. I painted both the rear drums to match the paint on my car (Still not sure if I like it) as they were all rusty and orange looking, so, that's why those covers are red.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Today I replaced the differential oil in my 350Z and changed out the rear brake pads and rotors with a set of Akebono pads and Centric rotors. Haven't heard any horrible noises so far and I have successfully driven without crashing into anything due to brake loss so I'd consider this a success.

Things I learned today: when the old rotors won't come off don't just bang on them to "loosen them up." Also, don't gently caress around with the little spur gear on the emergency brake mechanism since that'll most likely just decrease the force the brake puts out (which isn't a big deal living in Arizona where everything is flat). No, the best way to remove the rotors is to get a bolt the same size as the caliper mounting bracket and a matching nut, put that through the caliper mount and crank that thing til the rotor pops off (just make sure you put a couple lug nuts on so the rotor won't go anywhere. I probably spent 5 hours beating the piss out of the old rotor, spraying it with WD-40, and doing everything I could to pry it off because the advice given everywhere else is horrible. I hope that someone, somewhere might find that trick useful in replacing their brake rotors because I would have saved so much time otherwise.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

PhoenixWing posted:

I wasn't aware they made covers like that. I painted both the rear drums to match the paint on my car (Still not sure if I like it) as they were all rusty and orange looking, so, that's why those covers are red.

My 88 Sentra had them, made the old steel wheels look pretty good.

Although this one doesn't have the outer chrome ring, and a little different wheel. The wheels you have on look like the Sentra wheels.

The old 280zx alloys would look awesome on a Pulsar, but I don't know how well the 15s would fit.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Smurf Hearse! Now you just need to find a Softbak and you'll have the full set.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
For the sake of the Internet, can you take a picture of what the car looks like with no back on it? I've always wondered what the mounting holes and stuff are like. Is there a locking connector or something to keep it fastened?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Hahaha, the Spotbak is so awesome. I'm really excited to see someone on here now owns one.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

For the sake of the Internet, can you take a picture of what the car looks like with no back on it? I've always wondered what the mounting holes and stuff are like. Is there a locking connector or something to keep it fastened?

A buddy had one in high school, and he would cruise around with the t-tops and hatch off on nice days. There are body-colored plastic covers that hide the attachment points for the hatch, which are off in this photo:

More pics of the other hatch options here: http://www.nissanexa.com/showthread.php?49486-INFO-N13-EXA-hatch-types

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

This makes me sad that we got nailed by a winter storm before i could get my BMW winters dipped.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Finally got things back together engine-wise on my 205. I think I'm nearly ready to try and fire it up, hasn't been going for 3-4 years.

Also a bit of a milestone from my brother. His latest project(he always has at least one on the go) is drivable and passed it's vehicle inspection.
He bought it like this 3 years ago

Today it's like

He does everything himself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Raikyn posted:

Finally got things back together engine-wise on my 205. I think I'm nearly ready to try and fire it up, hasn't been going for 3-4 years.

Also a bit of a milestone from my brother. His latest project(he always has at least one on the go) is drivable and passed it's vehicle inspection.
He bought it like this 3 years ago

Today it's like

He does everything himself.

Yaaay AMX! More info?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Put 650 miles on it after working 8 hours. Discovered that while it's normally just fine at coping with strong winds, high speed limits, and hills... individually... add all 3 together and you have a car that can barely keep up with the (80 mph limit, ~90 mph traffic) traffic @ WOT in 3rd gear.

Getting passed by a pickup pulling a loaded horse trailer was a new low.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

some texas redneck posted:

Getting passed by a pickup pulling a loaded horse trailer was a new low.

Welcome to the GM family.

Today, I'm going to fix a tear in my seat before it gets worse. Woo-hoo.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Got to play with Launch Control :dance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQpLlkFtoI0

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

That thing sounds mean as hell, nice.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Lowered the front of the GTV a little. Before the front was 17 mm higher than rear. Now the front is 5 mm lower than rear. While I was at it I swapped the front swaybar to a thicker one from a 75 Turbo.

Before & after:

Now:

E: 2xjpeg -> gif

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 18, 2013

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007
Crammed the truck into the too small garage today. I've got to do the rear main seal and oil pump. And just to up the pain in the rear end level, I'm going to try doing the oil pump in place.
Ran over to Harbor Freight to get their engine support bar, get back and realize it's about 8 inches too narrow to use. Luckily I have plenty of wood blocks. Also, in the 2 hours the truck has set in the garage, there is 6 inch puddle of oil. This is why its sat all summer long. But it's either fix the truck or buy winter tires for the ST.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Added a cupholder. Those with 85-01 Jeep Cherokees will confirm that the factory cupholder options are pathetic. They're both add-ons, and are only suitable for a half-empty soda can.
I started with one of these:

Did a bunch of trimming, and ended up with this:

Much better.
It leans a little to the left - I'll fix that by trimming the vertical part a little more, but it works for now. It would have fit even better without the cell-phone pocket in between the cup holders. As it is, it gets a little tight when the seat is slid forward for rear seat access (2-door model) but it just fits.

I may try something similar with a fabricated steel or aluminum bracket, and a pair of poker table/boat cup older inserts at a later time. Might be more attractive. Or maybe recess said inserts into the console itself. Hmmmmm...

Maybe bedliner this one for a slightly better appearance.

edit: eh, need to do something about that chunk out of the front of the console on the passenger side, even if it's just cut it straight so it doesn't look like a break. I don't normally see that from the driver's side, of course, so I forget about it.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Very impressed by how quickly these arrived... Placed the order at like 4:30 this past Friday and they're on my doorstep before 11am Monday. Tirerack++

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Hi friend!

Green wheels are the best.

Oh, I parked another thing in the garage with it, both cars fit with lots of room:

It's an unmolested '88 CRX SI with ~160k km's on it. Storing it over the winter for an autocross buddy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
poo poo, suddenly my black winter wheels are incredibly boring.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

drukqs posted:

Very impressed by how quickly these arrived... Placed the order at like 4:30 this past Friday and they're on my doorstep before 11am Monday. Tirerack++

I love the smell of new tires in the kitchen.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

poo poo, suddenly my black winter wheels are incredibly boring.

Buy some colored plastidip and go nuts.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Chinatown posted:

Definitely considering this for mine now...what color would look good on a red sedan?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I topped it off with some fresh premium from chevron ($3.21/Gallon!!!) and then signed the title over to a new owner. She's going to a good home :unsmith: now my wife's car is the only thing hanging out in our 3 car garage waiting for Thursday when I can go pick up the new ride, '97 E36 M3

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chinatown posted:

Maybe next year.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Discovered just how borderline GM cooling systems are. (what do you mean GM lets the accountants design critical components?)

Never overheated (according to the gauge anyway - though at one point it was halfway between 1/2 and 3/4), but got good and toasty after going up/down a bunch of hills all day. Engine braking in 1st or 2nd down steep residential streets, screaming in 1st just trying to get up the same roads. OBD2 was showing 218F (185F thermostat, about 65F outside).

It normally sits a touch below the 1/2 mark.

I'd guess some of those streets were 30%+ grade, after looking at a chart.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 19, 2013

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

some texas redneck posted:

Discovered just how borderline GM cooling systems are. (what do you mean GM lets the accountants design critical components?)

Never overheated (according to the gauge anyway - though at one point it was halfway between 1/2 and 3/4), but got good and toasty after going up/down a bunch of hills all day. Engine braking in 1st or 2nd down steep residential streets, screaming in 1st just trying to get up the same roads. OBD2 was showing 218F (185F thermostat, about 65F outside).

It normally sits a touch below the 1/2 mark.

I'd guess some of those streets were 30%+ grade, after looking at a chart.

That would definitely overheat if you tried that in the summer heat that hits most of the country. :wtc: GM, taking cues from BMW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Speaking of poorly designed cooling systems:

Volvo decided it was a good idea to route this heater hose in close proximity to the plumbing for the EGR system in my '95 940. I'm guessing the heat from that system caused it to weaken and eventually rupture; the resulting coolant loss caused the car to overheat badly enough to warp the head and melt the timing cover and a couple of the temperature sensors. Ironically, they included a low coolant light in the gauge cluster, but only the higher-end models (7/960) had the sensor to trigger it, so the previous owner didn't have any warning that anything was amiss until the temp gauge pegged. Beancounters :argh:

At least the block and bottom end are OK, so it shouldn't be too hard to revive.