Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My photographer limits herself to 30 weddings a year max so she has adequate time to spend on each one. She's gone above and beyond and even changed her Christmas travel plans to meet with me before the wedding when I'm in town next month. I've never gotten the feeling she's milking me for money during the entire process. She gives her clients a flash drive of all high-res files of the pictures with all the printing rights when she's done and I can ask her for as many flash drives as I want so everyone can have the pictures and the printing rights.

Like with anything else, there's good photographers and bad photographers. You just have to shop around.

And if you really hate the photography business, there's nothing that says you cannot get married unless you've hired a professional photographer to document it. Just don't spend money on it if you think it's a waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

baquerd posted:

Wedding photographers can be the biggest loving ripoff. They may have an amazing portfolio but an off day, and you have no real recourse. They charge you ridiculous amounts of money and have a huge stick up their rear end about the costs and their rights and explain that their copyrights are so incredibly valuable that you should enjoy them making GBS threads in your financial mouth. Even if everything goes perfectly and you get exactly what you wanted, calculate out the hourly wage and if they could make an honest living you're paying them the equivalent of $250k a year.

I would be bitter, but her parents paid for it all anyway.

It would be pretty tough to make 250k/year (in income) as a wedding photographer. I'm not saying the elite of the elite photographers can't do it, but that's a real stretch. Even if you take one of the photographers who charge $5k to shoot a wedding and they shoot one wedding a weekend, you still have to take into account all the overheard, time editing, equipment, second shooter, travel and insurance, you might end up with half of that as profit, which would knock the annual income down to $125k/yr and that's IF they shoot a wedding every single week of the year. Assuming a similar profit margin for someone charging $3k and you're down to $75k/yr. For someone who has shot weddings before I'd have to make at least that annually for me to ever consider doing it as a profession. It's an extremely stressful job that most people do not understand. You have to understand your pricing and be firm about it or people walk all over you. Beyond that, the people who charge ridiculously low prices devalue the people who do it for a living. If a full time wedding photographer tried to charge $1000 a wedding they'd be out of business in a heartbeat. I don't do it full time and my base price is $1500. The amount of time between planning, shooting, sorting, editing and making the book for a wedding for me is probably close to 80 hours. That's $18.75/hr (ignoring that I usually pay an assistant to help and I'm not taking into account that a camera has a lifespan) which in my eyes is barely even worth it for the stress involved.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 13, 2013

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
I'm getting serious stage fright. Couldn't write my vows without tearing up, can't read through my celebrant's rundown of the ceremony without tearing up, and when I try to recite my vows my voice sounds thin and reedy to my ears, and cracks, and I cry. Oh god, I hope I never have to do this again!

At the same time I'm kinda insanely happy this is happening. What is this madness?

One of my best friends from work is a totally shy person, much like myself. Out of the blue she's offered to do a reading on the day. I am impressed and thrilled to bits, and if she can have the guts to speak in front of 50+ people then surely I have even less excuse! One of the following poems is what I was thinking of (though I wouldn't force her to read something she didn't agree with), I thought I'd share them with you guys:

poem by Neil Gaiman posted:

This for you, for both of you,

a small poem of happiness
filled with small glories and little triumphs
a fragile, short cheerful song
filled with hope and all sorts of futures

Because at weddings we imagine the future
Because it's all about "what happened next?"
all the work and negotiation and building and talk
that makes even the tiniest happily ever after
something to be proud of for a wee forever

This is a small thought for both of you
like a feather or a prayer,
a wish of trust and love and hope
and fine brave hearts and true.

Like a tower, or a house made all of bones and dreams
and tomorrows and tomorrows and tomorrows

The Circle Around the Zero by Rumi posted:

A lover doesn't figure the odds.

He figures he came clean from God
as a gift without a reason,
so he gives without cause
or calculation or limit.

A conventionally religious person
behaves a certain way
to achieve salvation.

A lover gambles everything, the self,
the circle around the zero! He or she
cuts and throws it all away.

This is beyond any religion.

Lovers do not require from God any proof,
or any text, nor do they knock on a door
to make sure this is the right street.

They run,
and they run.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

baquerd posted:

I would be bitter, but her parents paid for it all anyway.

This has generally been my experience. Photographers and everyone else charge an insulting amount of money. I sometimes wonder if you can lie and get the same services for half price just by not attaching the word "wedding" to it.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

FogHelmut posted:

This has generally been my experience. Photographers and everyone else charge an insulting amount of money. I sometimes wonder if you can lie and get the same services for half price just by not attaching the word "wedding" to it.

While it's obscene on the upper price scales, the photographers I know always tell me that shooting weddings is hard and sometimes lovely work. My dad was a part time photographer for a time and after he shot a few he swore them off. So I can understand full timers charging $2000+ for a day of shooting. What I never get is the bullshit about charging out the rear end for copyrights or $300 DVDs or whatever.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

FogHelmut posted:

Surprising a photographer with a wedding they didn't expect to shoot would generally end with the photographer leaving. No contract could be binding since there was bad faith in the negotiations. I can't stress enough that this is a bad idea.

I think the outrage at photographer pricing has a simple root: A wedding is usually the first time someone has hired a professional photographer. It's never cheap. Beyond the time at the wedding the photographer has to scout the locations in advance, meet with you, and do the photo post-processing. You only see the photographer for six hours, but they may be putting 40 hours in on the project.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Also, a comment about the 250k per year. There are a lot of expenses (overhead) to running your own business, not to mention the additional 15% tax you pay on all income. What you pay them is nowhere close to what they get to actually take home for themselves.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Speaking of photographer chat, can we discuss video? My fiancee and I are considering recording the wedding, but just buying a high-end video camera (think 1000+ USD) and eventually reselling it at a slight loss. However, if we're not hiring a professional and just having one of our friends or family members do it, I think it might end up looking poor regardless of how much we drop on a video camera. Then there's the task of asking a friend or relative to record the wedding rather than enjoying it like everyone else.

I'm not saying I consider video recording essential (I really don't), but can someone who hired a videographer or went the DIY route provide some insight?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

It's got a pretty smug tone, but this post has a pretty good breakdown of why photographers cost so much.

I did the math and my photographer, assuming she's maxed out at 30 weddings a year at $3500 a pop, only makes $105k annually before taxes. She lives in Baltimore which has a pretty high cost of living so that's not unreasonable at all.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

nyerf posted:

I'm getting serious stage fright. Couldn't write my vows without tearing up, can't read through my celebrant's rundown of the ceremony without tearing up, and when I try to recite my vows my voice sounds thin and reedy to my ears, and cracks, and I cry. Oh god, I hope I never have to do this again!

At the same time I'm kinda insanely happy this is happening. What is this madness?
I will cry during my ceremony. I know this. My fiance knows this. And it's okay. I'm still nervous, of course, but that has less to do with what I'll be doing and more to do with the fact that I hate being the center of attention. I'll muddle through, we know what we're saying to one another and why we're saying it, if our family can't hear me clearly then it's no big deal.

I've ended up having a ring made through an Etsy shop. It doesn't look anything like my fiance's but that really doesn't matter. I like it, it is made of the metal I wanted and it's going to be small enough to fit! I'm quite happy about this and can't wait to see it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

LogisticEarth posted:

While it's obscene on the upper price scales, the photographers I know always tell me that shooting weddings is hard and sometimes lovely work. My dad was a part time photographer for a time and after he shot a few he swore them off. So I can understand full timers charging $2000+ for a day of shooting. What I never get is the bullshit about charging out the rear end for copyrights or $300 DVDs or whatever.

Copyright is the term that gets used, but really what you're paying for is the money you're likely preventing them from earning selling prints to guests. I usually make a few hundred dollars in selling prints, but if you provide a disc, they just share those photos with everyone. I don't even charge, that much for my prints, about what you would pay doing them yourself at at any of the places that have the kodak printers, mostly because the printer I work with is super cheap.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Tempura Wizard posted:

Speaking of photographer chat, can we discuss video? My fiancee and I are considering recording the wedding, but just buying a high-end video camera (think 1000+ USD) and eventually reselling it at a slight loss. However, if we're not hiring a professional and just having one of our friends or family members do it, I think it might end up looking poor regardless of how much we drop on a video camera. Then there's the task of asking a friend or relative to record the wedding rather than enjoying it like everyone else.

I'm not saying I consider video recording essential (I really don't), but can someone who hired a videographer or went the DIY route provide some insight?

My fiance's sister got married last year, and her father recorded video on his 40 year old Super 8 camera. I expect that to happen at mine, which I'm okay with. We don't have a videographer planned. Maybe it would be neat to watch the video in 30 years, but I can't see myself sitting down to watch it.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
I'm sorry if this has been asked earlier, but this is a huge thread!

Has anyone here, or anyone you know, had a themed wedding? If so, how did it go? Any advice for someone who might go that route? Is it lame and an idea that should be dropped?

My boyfriend just proposed recently, so at the moment we're just looking at potential venues out of curiosity. A historical hotel in town caught my eye, so I thought it might be fun to have a 1920s style wedding there. I think it would be great for photos, too. My boyfriend thinks it's a neat idea as well, so we're definitely going to keep it in mind.

Of course, we wouldn't force the theme on our guests or anything! If people didn't want to come dressed up, we'd be absolutely fine with that. We'll just be happy to have them come to celebrate with us.

Whether or not we go with a theme or just do something more traditional, it's not going to be a huge or expensive wedding. We just want to do something unique and fun that suits us.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

rockcity posted:

Copyright is the term that gets used, but really what you're paying for is the money you're likely preventing them from earning selling prints to guests. I usually make a few hundred dollars in selling prints, but if you provide a disc, they just share those photos with everyone. I don't even charge, that much for my prints, about what you would pay doing them yourself at at any of the places that have the kodak printers, mostly because the printer I work with is super cheap.

Selling prints is a bit of a logical stretch too. They cost less than pennies to replicate perpetually. It's the DRM of the wedding industry and it's the only aspect we've budgeted that tells us we don't own what we paid for, let along being over 10% of our budget and many photographers holding the rights hostage as though it costs to replicate a digital photo.

Being from New Orleans, I know dozens of people who lost everything, including their photos, so it's a sore issue. I get where the pricing strategy comes from, but being aware of clevel ways to extract more money for less work and being happy about it are separate worlds.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

MJBuddy posted:

Selling prints is a bit of a logical stretch too. They cost less than pennies to replicate perpetually. It's the DRM of the wedding industry and it's the only aspect we've budgeted that tells us we don't own what we paid for, let along being over 10% of our budget and many photographers holding the rights hostage as though it costs to replicate a digital photo.

Being from New Orleans, I know dozens of people who lost everything, including their photos, so it's a sore issue. I get where the pricing strategy comes from, but being aware of clevel ways to extract more money for less work and being happy about it are separate worlds.

I get that, but again, it's not physical cost, it's potential income you are canceling out by giving out all the photos. I could just as easily just charge more to shoot a wedding and give people the photos, which I would be 100% happy with, but I'd rather offer a lower entry cost and include a really nice hardcover book. Some people take that and don't buy the digitals at all. I'm getting married in a few weeks and a book is all I really want out of it. I'm getting the digitals out of it anyway though because my photographer is a longtime friend of mind and I'm still paying her very well including travel. I'm not sure I'll ever touch them.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

rockcity posted:

I get that, but again, it's not physical cost, it's potential income you are canceling out by giving out all the photos. I could just as easily just charge more to shoot a wedding and give people the photos, which I would be 100% happy with, but I'd rather offer a lower entry cost and include a really nice hardcover book. Some people take that and don't buy the digitals at all. I'm getting married in a few weeks and a book is all I really want out of it. I'm getting the digitals out of it anyway though because my photographer is a longtime friend of mind and I'm still paying her very well including travel. I'm not sure I'll ever touch them.

Monopoly pricing is frustrating, is all. We'd rather not have a book but have our digital photos to do whatever with down the line.

Also in our case, no one is buying extensive prints. If we did buy them, it would be to (illegally!) scan them to have digital versions.

It's more frustrating than unreasonable, because again I understand the economics behind it, but I wish photographers had a more discriminatory pricing scheme (industry standard is pretty good at price discrimination already, but a better system would be cheaper for me because a bunch of excellent photographers have priced themselves out for me by demanding they make prints I don't want and charging me for digital photos I do.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Cheese Bread posted:

Themed wedding

I think a 1920s themed wedding could look really classy, as long as it's 1920s themed and not 1920s cosplay. Dressing up like 20s gangsters with tommy guns and poo poo would be tacky, whereas wearing vintage clothes would look classy and would probably make for some great pictures. It's also a theme that people of all generations can recognize/participate in, it's not like you're having a Legend of Zelda themed wedding and expecting all your guests to dress up (I have an acquaintance doing this, I couldn't imagine asking my grandma to dress up like a video game character but whatever floats her boat I guess).

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

MJBuddy posted:

It's more frustrating than unreasonable, because again I understand the economics behind it, but I wish photographers had a more discriminatory pricing scheme (industry standard is pretty good at price discrimination already, but a better system would be cheaper for me because a bunch of excellent photographers have priced themselves out for me by demanding they make prints I don't want and charging me for digital photos I do.

Just ask how much for full release. Most photographers will sell the rights. Then you can make your own prints. The photographer has to be compensated, but they don't care if they sell you prints or just take a check in exchange for digital copies.

If your photographer won't sell a full release then move on to someone else. There are plenty of fish in the sea.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I think a 1920s themed wedding could look really classy, as long as it's 1920s themed and not 1920s cosplay. Dressing up like 20s gangsters with tommy guns and poo poo would be tacky, whereas wearing vintage clothes would look classy and would probably make for some great pictures. It's also a theme that people of all generations can recognize/participate in, it's not like you're having a Legend of Zelda themed wedding and expecting all your guests to dress up (I have an acquaintance doing this, I couldn't imagine asking my grandma to dress up like a video game character but whatever floats her boat I guess).

Thank you for this post. I hadn't even considered that it was an easy theme for all generations to recognize and take part in if they wished, so that's a pro for the idea!

When I said themed wedding, I definitely meant dressing up in vintage style clothes rather than the gangster and flapper approach. It's more an idea rather than perfectly period accurate clothing.

There are tons of options to consider, so we might not even go with it, but I'm glad to know that someone else thinks it could make for some classy photos. :) I think it would be fun, too.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

JohnnyRnR posted:

Just ask how much for full release. Most photographers will sell the rights. Then you can make your own prints. The photographer has to be compensated, but they don't care if they sell you prints or just take a check in exchange for digital copies.

If your photographer won't sell a full release then move on to someone else. There are plenty of fish in the sea.

We went with a photographer that had good reviews and included the release in many of their cheaper packages. When we saw that one-two punch we were sold. If it really concerns you just keep looking till you find something similar. We really enjoyed everyone knowing up front what we were looking for.

Also I cannot overstate the need for 2 photographers. There's an insane amount of setup, light checking, and judgement calls in everything that isn't "stand here in a group and smile". Our two worked their asses off and were literally sweating most of the time from running around so much.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

They should make it a Zelda-themed wedding. Zelda Fitzgerald.

I had a buddy who did a "movie" themed wedding. Classy show, just made a movie poster and stuff. It was cute.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm sure this comes up all the time, but what are good Honeymoon websites? My fiancee went with Honeymoonwishes. I trust her judgment but I wanted to see if a) there was anything wrong with that choice and b) if there was something better out there. I like outsourcing this sort of thing to the hivemind.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Anyone have a good source on cheap vase fillers? I found a good deal on wholesale vases (60 vases for $408, about $6.80/vase) but now I need fillers. I'm looking for something colored that aren't those expanding water pearl things because the color seeps out of them and dyes the whole vase and looks awful. This leaves me with acrylic or glass beads. I figure I need about 1 pound per vase so with 60 pounds of filler I can probably qualify for wholesale. I'm not an artsy craftsy person so I don't really know where to look besides Michaels and Hobby Lobby. I've googled around but I don't know if there are any craft supply sites that are better than others.

I'm trying to order all my non-perishables before the holidays hit and UPS and FedEx get slammed and before the weather turns lovely and could delay things. I'm going to try to get my flowers delivered the Wednesday before the wedding so they won't be all wilted by the wedding but if something goes wrong we still have two days to find a plan B.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Anyone have a good source on cheap vase fillers? I found a good deal on wholesale vases (60 vases for $408, about $6.80/vase) but now I need fillers. I'm looking for something colored that aren't those expanding water pearl things because the color seeps out of them and dyes the whole vase and looks awful. This leaves me with acrylic or glass beads. I figure I need about 1 pound per vase so with 60 pounds of filler I can probably qualify for wholesale. I'm not an artsy craftsy person so I don't really know where to look besides Michaels and Hobby Lobby. I've googled around but I don't know if there are any craft supply sites that are better than others.

I'm trying to order all my non-perishables before the holidays hit and UPS and FedEx get slammed and before the weather turns lovely and could delay things. I'm going to try to get my flowers delivered the Wednesday before the wedding so they won't be all wilted by the wedding but if something goes wrong we still have two days to find a plan B.

I use http://www.save-on-crafts.com to order vase filler for work. They have an insane variety of fillers & other crafty stuff.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

GoreJess posted:

I use http://www.save-on-crafts.com to order vase filler for work. They have an insane variety of fillers & other crafty stuff.

I used this site too. I bought candles, flowers and julep glasses for my table decorations.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Just bought 60 vases, 150 flowers, and 60 pounds of glass rocks for around $1000. I'm hiring a florist to do the bouquets and church decorations and doing the reception decorations myself, therefore saving myself about $1500. When I'm done I'm going to sell everything, minus the live flowers of course, to a wedding consignment shop. Suck it, wedding flower industry.

I feel the same way about wedding florists as many people in this thread feel about wedding photographers.

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

The most epic adventure ever undertaken

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I feel the same way about wedding florists as many people in this thread feel about wedding photographers.
I feel like I get floral and photo prices- the thing that's making me crazy is DJs. I met with the one who was recommended by our venue last week. Their wedding packages start at $1400. Their non wedding packages start at $1000. I asked what the difference was and they said "there's more paperwork with weddings!" :raise: I don't have any elaborate requests, would they do my event the same way they'd do a birthday or bat mitzvah for the lower price? Nope.

I'm pretty resigned to wedding industry nonsense at this point but I have to admit I got angry about that. I'm not eager to talk to other deejays.

VivaNova fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 17, 2013

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.
I've worked at flower shops on and off, and the amount of overhead with wedding flowers would surprise you. Florists are not getting rich off weddings.

That said, I don't think it's worth it to spend that much on anything with such limited use...at least you can resell a dress. I spent ~$400 at the wholesaler and arranged them all myself in thrift store vases.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

VivaNova posted:

I feel like I get floral and photo prices- the thing that's making me crazy is DJs. I met with the one who was recommended by our venue last week. Their wedding packages start at $1400. Their non wedding packages start at $1000. I asked what the difference was and they said "there's more paperwork with weddings!" :raise: I don't have any elaborate requests, would they do my event the same way they'd do a birthday or bat mitzvah for the lower price? Nope.

I'm pretty resigned to wedding industry nonsense at this point but I have to admit I got angry about that. I'm not eager to talk to other deejays.

Our DJ is included, and after pricing a few, holy crap thank god. We also are getting flowers from the finacee's mother who is an excellent florist.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

My florist proposals were ridiculously high. I know they have overhead for keeping their physical storefront running and stuff, but charging me three hundred dollars to drive 45 minutes and charging me more to rent the vases than it is to just buy them wholesale isn't anything but excessive price gouging just because it's a wedding. They have free delivery anywhere within an hour or so radius for everything else, but if it's for a wedding suddenly it's a several hundred dollar delivery charge. I didn't appreciate getting the stink eye every time I cut something out of their "recommended flowers" list, either. I'm sorry but not every guest at the wedding needs a corsage/boutenniere and I don't need rose petals covering the aisle. it's not just one florist being lovely, I spoke to several and had the same experience at all of them.

One of my bullshit schedule-filler electives in college was floral design, so I have some semblance of an idea of how to go about doing flowers myself. I'd do all of them myself, but with everything else I need to get done in the days before the wedding I just wouldn't have time to do the the big/important flowers well.

Our DJ is kinda pricey ($1800) but I decided to go with him because he's done several weddings at my venue before and this particular venue has really strict amplified noise rules since the neighbors are assholes who have the local noise ordinance laws memorized and call the cops at any small infraction. This was brought up as an "oh, by the way..." after we'd signed the contract.

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.
There's a big difference between having an assistant drive out a single arrangement in their own car, and spending an hour loading up a van with dozens of arrangements, closing up shop for a few hours, and then setting up the flowers (some of which are quite heavy) on a site. I've done this myself plenty of times- and it's significantly more work than a single order.

As I said, I did my own flowers. Spending thousands of dollars on decorations that immediately die is not my idea of a wise investment. You can get reasonably priced arrangements at Safeway, Costco, or Whole Foods.

Here's my homemade bouquet! For around $400, I had enough flowers to make 5 boutineers, my bouquet, 9 table arrangements, flowers for the cake, 2 large ceremony arrangements, and a few medium arrangements for the bathroom, piano, etc.

Emasculatrix fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 17, 2013

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Emasculatrix posted:

There's a big difference between having an assistant drive out a single arrangement in their own car, and spending an hour loading up a van with dozens of arrangements, closing up shop for a few hours, and then setting up the flowers (some of which are quite heavy) on a site. I've done this myself plenty of times- and it's significantly more work than a single order.

That would make sense-- if they were doing any of that. All the florist is doing is taking two arrangements to the church and setting them on pedestals that are already in the church (no set up on their part) and dropping off a box of 5 bouquets. This is a job one dude can do and does not require shutting down the shop. This is a fairly large florist shop and they do multiple weddings each weekend so they have a fairly large workforce of people to spare to go set up, so even if I did have a ton of arrangements the shop would stay open. If I'd ordered the exact same arrangements to send to a friend, the delivery would be free. But because these flowers will be present at a wedding, suddenly they cost $300 to deliver. There's absolutely no way that this isn't wedding price gouging.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Shbobdb posted:

I'm sure this comes up all the time, but what are good Honeymoon websites? My fiancee went with Honeymoonwishes. I trust her judgment but I wanted to see if a) there was anything wrong with that choice and b) if there was something better out there. I like outsourcing this sort of thing to the hivemind.

We used Honeyfund, and it was great. Only one person, out of about maybe 30-40 or so who gave us gifts from there, couldn't figure out how to use it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Emasculatrix posted:

Here's my homemade bouquet! For around $400, I had enough flowers to make 5 boutineers, my bouquet, 9 table arrangements, flowers for the cake, 2 large ceremony arrangements, and a few medium arrangements for the bathroom, piano, etc.

You decorated the bathroom? :psyduck:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Can you use Honeyfund if you don't actually know where or when you're doing your honeymoon? We have a vague idea of what we want to do (European vacation since both of us are pasty white and burn easily so anything tropical is out), but when we do it and where we'll be allowed to go is up to the military, as is everything with this wedding.

Edit: Bathroom chat: our venue has a special stall in the women's bathroom to accommodate wedding dresses, separate from the handicapped stall. I don't think I'm going to drink anything the day of my wedding, as I have no earthly clue how I'm going to use the bathroom in my dress.

Problem! fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 18, 2013

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.

rockcity posted:

You decorated the bathroom? :psyduck:

That's how I feel too, but my mom made a huge deal about having flowers in there. She even bought a special vase for it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Uh is there a best way to plan weddings around school vacations? We want to get married the saturday before april vacation because my fiance works in a school, but we want to get married in 2015 so the dates aren't even posted.

I am 90% sure april vaca in Massachusetts is the same week as patriots day, but I want to double check I'm not making a big misstep. The venue is getting booked quickly and we basically have to pick this week.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Uh is there a best way to plan weddings around school vacations? We want to get married the saturday before april vacation because my fiance works in a school, but we want to get married in 2015 so the dates aren't even posted.

I am 90% sure april vaca in Massachusetts is the same week as patriots day, but I want to double check I'm not making a big misstep. The venue is getting booked quickly and we basically have to pick this week.

Have your finance ask the school if that is the rule for spring break? My husband works in a school, and his boss would definitely know when spring break 2015 will be if asked.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Honey fund is basically just an Online wish list that guests go to. They select what they want to buy you, which removes it from the list, then they write you a check and print out a little paper for what they got you.

So it doesn't really matter what you put up there, since in the end you're just getting cash money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightestCrayon
Jun 13, 2009
So I've been hit with my first real wedding related dilemma. I'm submitting my first scientific paper for publication at the end of the week and I don't know what name to submit it under. I had always planned on changing my name so that I could have the same last name as my kids. But I'd actually kind of prefer to work professionally under my maiden name (I work with birds and my last name is Fowler, it's just so appropriate!). My problem is that I don't know if I can legally change my name (keeping my maiden name as a middle name) and then continue to work under my maiden name. I'm afraid that when I switch institutions to work on my PhD or work as a professor that I would end up with an email/class schedule under my married name and it would just gt all confusing.

Does anyone know if you can work under a maiden name after legally changing to your married name? I've tried looking, but everything is giving me conflicting information. I asked a couple of the professors that I work with, but both of them just kept their last names since they're international and didn't want to deal with the paperwork. My fiancee is completely neutral about all of this, so he's no help at all.