Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

An oscar nomination submission is really just a submission. There are barely any prerequisites to submit yourself either. It's not a nomination yet, those will be announced in a month or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cardboard Box A posted:

http://variety.com/2013/film/awards/oscars-19-films-submit-for-feature-animation-oscar-1200798376/

A total of 19 films have submitted themselves for consideration for the upcoming animated feature Oscar.

The 19 films are:

“Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2”
“The Croods”
“Despicable Me 2”
“Epic”
“Ernest and Celestine”
“The Fake”
“Free Birds“
“Frozen”
“Khumba”
“The Legend of Sarila”
“A Letter to Momo”
“Monsters University”
“O Apostolo”
“Planes”
“Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie – Rebellion”
“Rio: 2096 A Story of Love and Fury”
“The Smurfs 2”
“Turbo”
“The Wind Rises”

Is it just me, or is that an incredibly weak field? I'm guessing Monsters University will win.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Silver2195 posted:

Is it just me, or is that an incredibly weak field? I'm guessing Monsters University will win.

Don't be so sure, The Wind Rises is (probably) Miyazaki's final film and is a non-genre historical piece, so the old white men at the oscars may decide to send it Ghibli's way instead.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

KaneTW posted:

An oscar nomination submission is really just a submission. There are barely any prerequisites to submit yourself either. It's not a nomination yet, those will be announced in a month or two.

Yeah a bunch of anime movies get submitted each year.

Those movies funded by the Happy Science cult as propaganda are also submitted, so it doesn't really mean anything at this point.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Letters to Momo, Monsters U and The Wind Rises are the safe bets there. Miyazaki might pull in the gold watch Oscar because he is essentially an old white (enough) man making a kind of wistful film that old white men on the nominating board would like. Only thing that keeps it from being a lock would be the grumbling about romanticizing the guy who made the Zero.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

MadRhetoric posted:

Letters to Momo, Monsters U and The Wind Rises are the safe bets there. Miyazaki might pull in the gold watch Oscar because he is essentially an old white (enough) man making a kind of wistful film that old white men on the nominating board would like. Only thing that keeps it from being a lock would be the grumbling about romanticizing the guy who made the Zero.

Should send them your post from a way back with the Faust interpretation.

That might turn a few heads.

Kaleid Stardust
Oct 27, 2013

by toby

Mordaedil posted:

Should send them your post from a way back with the Faust interpretation.

That might turn a few heads.

While Faust may have gotten more than a few nods from the series, I'm not sure if Rebellion is as strong in that vein. Maybe the old American men will like yuribait?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.
Madoka may have been popular within its target audience of otaku, but I think its general appeal is rather limited. You need at least some familiarity with the magical girl genre to follow what it. Plus, I doubt that Rebellion is a stand-alone product either; you'll probably need to have followed the TV series or the first two movies to know the characters and underlying plot. As a result I seriously doubt it will do well. It's too much of a niche product and its directed to Madoka's existing fanbase.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Madoka was popular with a lot of demos, not just smelly otaku. Granted, that was on the back of actually advertising the drat thing (and Fukushima), but hey.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
I just finished this for the first time and then cried in front of my friends I was watching it with. Don't think I want to see anything madoka related for the rest of my life.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

gobbledygoat posted:

I just finished this for the first time and then cried in front of my friends I was watching it with. Don't think I want to see anything madoka related for the rest of my life.

Sounds like it's working as intended.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

gobbledygoat posted:

See ya again when the third movie comes out on Bluray!

Speaking of, the third film just broke a billion yen at the box office.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 9, 2013

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

gobbledygoat posted:

Were your friends crying or trying not to cry?

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

gobbledygoat posted:

Please watch Clannad and give a trip report. I can wait.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Manly anime tears.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

MadRhetoric posted:

Were your friends crying or trying not to cry?

No they were totally stoic it was so embarrassing. I've seen clanned before but there was something about this series' smothering despair that made me really sad.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Manly anime tears.

No these were definitely girly anime tears.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

gobbledygoat posted:

No they were totally stoic it was so embarrassing. I've seen clanned before but there was something about this series' smothering despair that made me really sad.

Smothering despair tends to do that to people, yeah. :haw:

I'd bet cash money they were either stoic because they were numb or they held it in until they were in a private place. They did like it, right?

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

If anyone lives in the Boston area and wants to see Rebellion, the Brattle Threatre added another showing (Dec 8) with tickets on sale right now. The other two shows were sold out by the time I heard about them, so I jumped on this. It would be great to meet some of you there.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

So, since it's all over but the crying with that tumblr spoiler recap, I have some thoughts on what bit of lit Rebellion's working off of. Here be vague spoilers.

First off, the 4channers calling Homuraku Homicifer weren't paying attention in high school English. I can relate, because Paradise Lost is godawful boring. Lucifer's greatest sin is pride and he degrades in form and power over the course of the epic. He wants God to love him more than anything, then gets swayed by Earth after toiling in Hell.

Homuhomu goes the exact opposite direction. Her greatest sin is lust and she holds no pride in herself. She hates herself without Madoka and is willing to die (unsaved) to protect her. Agency wise, she increases in stature: from hanger on Megahomu, to Matrix buster series!Homu, to the lynchpin of the Incubator plan, to the last, worst Witch, to an existence beyond Good, Evil and God(oka) herself. She wants Madoka so badly because she realizes, probably when coobie breaks down the whole "thanks for telling us about Witches, sucker" thing, that she is the greatest threat to Madoka's safety. Like I said back when we got the picture of Homu :smithicide: ing, she's the cause of, and solution to, all of the show's problems. In order to fix this, she makes one last felix culpa, sinning boldly to take on her combined sin with Madoka. It's her version of chucking Sayaka's soul gem off the bridge and saving meguca at the same time.

Come hell or high water, Homura will have her wish granted, because the alternative (unbeknownst to Sayaka) would be the dissolution of everything she and Madoka worked for. Going back to Faust, if the end of the series is Madoka as Gretchen/God rigging the bet for herself, Rebellion Story is Homura as Faust telling both God and Mephistopheles NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP DAD and making her own game. With Blackjack. And hookers. And Maragrete, uncorrupted and able to bail Faust out if poo poo goes bad again (thus, the "we may become enemies" line). And a cranky Wagner in Sayaka to keep Faust honest.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MadRhetoric posted:

Rebellion Story is Homura as Faust telling both God and Mephistopheles NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP DAD and making her own game.

Well that's the first thing that actually made me want to watch Rebellion, so thanks for that! :v:

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well that's the first thing that actually made me want to watch Rebellion, so thanks for that! :v:

Haven't you ever heard of the saying: "give the people what they want in a way they don't expect"? From where I'm sitting, this movie is a textbook example of that.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
More movie leaks about.

A .gif is floating about showing Homura grabbing Madoka and taking control. It's so well done that I am officially back in hype mode. I can't wait for the 8th.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Some pictures from the manga adaptation of the movie that Hanokage's doing.

That group pose... :3:

Warning: Side ads may be not safe for work.

Cake Attack posted:

You might want to point out that link is fairly NSFW.

Oh wow I wasn't even paying attention to that, thanks.

Rehosted the images on imgur.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 13, 2013

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

You might want to point out that link is fairly :nws:

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
I managed to get to a cinema that was screening the movie while I was in Osaka. I liked it as much as I was frustrated by it.

Spent the first half of the movie bewildered and dreading when the other shoe will drop. When it does, really go off the rail and doesn't let up till near the end. And then some...

Overall I enjoyed the movie, I was however surprised that there were no movie merchandise for sale at the theatre store. Either there weren't any, unlikely, or they were all sold out already.

Kaleid Stardust
Oct 27, 2013

by toby

PerrineClostermann posted:

More movie leaks about.

A .gif is floating about showing Homura grabbing Madoka and taking control. It's so well done that I am officially back in hype mode. I can't wait for the 8th.

Actually, you're seeing new .gifs because the full camrip made it out of 2ch a few days ago. It's on Nyaa--go with the .mkv version, because the first version is terribly encoded.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'll definitely hold off on watching it until the 8th; now that I'm back in hype mode, I want to experience the visuals on the big screen first.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
The transformation sequence is pretty much THE most surreal transformations I've ever seen.

Kaleid Stardust
Oct 27, 2013

by toby

veekie posted:

The transformation sequence is pretty much THE most surreal transformations I've ever seen.

Sayaka is such a goofball. It's adorable that she unabashedly pulls poo poo like that all the time. Breakdancing, seriously?
The music for each transformation is all remixes of the original OST, which was cool to me.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Shaft had definitely found some good weed this time.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Here's a comparison of the screen size that the camrip that's floating around has to the actual full screen. If you have a ticket to see the film but are wondering about giving in to see the camrip, this might be some good discouragement.

In other news: The film just passed 1 million tickets sold in Japan.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 16, 2013

Kaleid Stardust
Oct 27, 2013

by toby

jonjonaug posted:

Here's a comparison of the screen size that the camrip that's floating around has to the actual full screen. If you have a ticket to see the film but are wondering about giving in to see the camrip, this might be some good discouragement.

In other news: The film just passed 1 million tickets sold in Japan.

As someone who has a ticket and has seen the camrip 3 full times now, I think that's encouragement. The low quality of the camrip ensures that the theatrical release will still have something to offer. I can't wait to see the left fourth of the screen, hahaha.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I have to say the Cake Song was the best sign that everything was seriously hosed up.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Holy gently caress I had my nails dug into my palms through the entire length of the movie, and had to get up and walk around for a few minutes at some points. Especially that bus trip.

If the original series was a commentary on the cruelties of reality, Movie 3 is a commentary on the danger of dreams and supplanting reality. I knew immediately, from the cake song and the over-the-top SHAFTiness and the false peace, that everyone was in some kind of false reality. And for the longest time, I was assuming that Madoka was the one who had crafted this pocket dimension so to stave off the sheer crushing loneliness of being a god.

So when the reveal came that Homura was technically the master of this false world, and the stakes of failure were raised to Kyuubey seizing control of god, then Homura's trying to go out in a blaze of glory was something beautiful to behold.

Aand then Homura turns evil. That was a surprise, but I guess some of the signs were there. I'd been spoilt that people were calling Homura the devil, but I was hoping that it was some kind of misunderstanding. Story-wise it felt tacked on and like a sequel hook, thematically it was perfectly fitting. Especially because it takes the story in a new direction, one of the biggest themes early on was stasis: a false peace where nothing bad can occur is stultifying. Yes, there will be more Madoka. No, it will not be a happy place where people can be redeemed and souls washed clean by a god. I mean, they made me feel sympathetic to Kyuubey.

Another way I could describe this movie is that it's a more coherent version of Evangelion 3.0

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

Another way I could describe this movie is that it's a more coherent version of Evangelion 3.0

Well, that's not a very high bar.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Phobophilia posted:

Aand then Homura turns evil. That was a surprise, but I guess some of the signs were there. I'd been spoilt that people were calling Homura the devil, but I was hoping that it was some kind of misunderstanding. Story-wise it felt tacked on and like a sequel hook, thematically it was perfectly fitting. Especially because it takes the story in a new direction, one of the biggest themes early on was stasis: a false peace where nothing bad can occur is stultifying. Yes, there will be more Madoka. No, it will not be a happy place where people can be redeemed and souls washed clean by a god. I mean, they made me feel sympathetic to Kyuubey.

Consider the wording of Homura's wish and you might see what's going on. Her wish was FINALLY fulfilled. She met Madoka for the first time(in a new continuity from the one she made the wish in) and is now strong enough to protect her, even against her will.

I notice that she didn't actually destroy the Law of Cycles though. She merely separated Madoka the person from Madoka the god, and created her barrier to encompass the mortal world, not wherever Madokami was taking fallen magical girls to.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

Holy gently caress I had my nails dug into my palms through the entire length of the movie, and had to get up and walk around for a few minutes at some points. Especially that bus trip.

Aand then Homura turns evil. That was a surprise, but I guess some of the signs were there. I'd been spoilt that people were calling Homura the devil, but I was hoping that it was some kind of misunderstanding. Story-wise it felt tacked on and like a sequel hook, thematically it was perfectly fitting.

Big movie spoilers. I'm kind of divided on it story-wise - on one hand, it pretty much necessitates a sequel to tie up, which I'm not too thrilled about (unless it's really good). On the other, I really feel it makes perfect sense. Consider that Homura, both through the series, and through the movie previously, put her life into trying to protect Madoka, in many different ways. Most obviously stated in the movie with her Kyuubey conversation where she refuses to do anything that could let the incubators get at Godoka, even if it means sacrificing herself and not meeting Madoka in MG heaven. Then, poo poo happens, and the MGs win out, with Madoka at the helm, and she finally gets to meet her again. Homura would probably be incredibly emotionally unstable at that point. And finally, Madoka drops the bombshell that while she truly thinks she's doing the right thing, the only thing she can do to find peace perhaps...she still misses all her friends and family, and isn't sure if she could be strong enough to leave them again. It's not surprising that after so many years of looping, and all that recently happened, finding out that Madoka isn't completely happy playing god(dess) would kind of make her loopy, and her deciding to try and give Madoka what she wants (her friends and family), even if against Madoka's will and her own morality, is not too far-fetched I'd say. The way she kind of breaks when she sees Godoka about to awake in her illusion, realizing that she completely failed to make a world where Madoka can feel at ease and be happy despite all her efforts and sacrifices, makes it a much more solid development IMO. Of course, the ending scenes are a bit too bizarre to interpret so easily, but hey.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Homura really went too far. Yes, baseline Madoka wanted to stay with her friends and family, but Homura used that as an excuse to make a universe where Madoka would belong to her and her alone. Madoka's family was rewritten overseas, and Homura deliberately alienated her from making other friends. It's a deliberate irony that Homura introduced herelf by making out her classmates as doing nothing more than bothering Madoka.

You have to remember that Madoka's final wish required an iron resolve fueled by the sacrifice of her four best friends in order to bring out her divine grace and ascend to goodhood. Without that, she's little more than a really nice person. Which is what Homura desired, even in the original series, she always sought to lock Madoka within a gilded cage where she wouldn't be exposed to outside influences. Without Sayaka, Mami, Kyouko, and especially her mother, Madoka is missing fundamental parts of herself. And this is reflected in Homura, she herself will never be happy with this semi-Madoka. There's a reason one of the final shots was of Homura sitting on a cliff, leaning over a precipice, on a Madoka who isn't there, staring at half a moon. And it really is just half a moon, you can see the stars through the missing half.

See, at this point, I disagree with Madrhetoric about Homura not being Lucifer. She really is guilty of the sin of Pride, look at her relationships with others, she thinks herself utterly superior of Kyouko and Sayaka and Mami, and makes decisions in lieu of their input. Yes, Homura defines herself around what Madoka thinks of her, but Homura assumes that her desires should trump those of Madoka. There are also shades of the temptation of Adam, the first two-thirds of the movie taught Homura several very important things. It is possible to dive into solipsism and rewrite new realities. It is also possible to control a god. It's no wonder that someone who has seen suffering at the hands of an uncaring universe for years should be tempted to try to grasp some control for herself right at the end, even a the expense of those around her.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I think there's no doubt that what she's doing is wrong, but it might be justified. She just wanted her wish to come true, and Madoka's own wish made that impossible.

Though I wonder, why did Sayaka remember at the end. Did Homura do it or did Madoka?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

What in the holy hell did I just watch?

(major movie spoilers obviously)

Like, I barely even know where to start. I guess my immediate impression is that it really puts the end of the series in a new light. It was ostensibly a good ending as it fixed the screwed up hope/despair cycle and allowed Madoka, at the cost of her existence, to provide solace to fallen magical girls when previously there was none. But if you think about it, this was never a good ending for Homura, in fact you could argue that was the worst result from her end. Throughout the original series there was never any indication that Homura was acting out of a sense of altruism. Everything she did was done in line with a single-minded obsessive devotion to one person, a person she lost seemingly for good. Even if she seemed fine with the result at the end of the series, it seems from how the movie played out that, whether subconsciously or not, she totally wasn't. I think the most poignant moment regarding this is when Homura was breaking down in front of Madoka and she said that she had started to doubt whether her memories of Madoka were even real at all. That must have left quite a toll on her.

So now we have Kyubey mucking things about. Incidentally, I think my favorite part of the movie was the idea that Kyubey is even MORE of a magnificent bastard than we were led to believe. You do NOT give this little conniving weasel an inch, not even a single millimeter, because he will find a way to use it to his advantage. Anywho, Kyubey screws things up, essentially forces Homura into a constant negative feedback loop of despair and sadness, so when she gets saved (love, LOVE the idea of fallen magical girls being able to embrace and use their witch barriers, I hope that gets explored in later works) she's essentially on the absolute brink of despair when Madoka, her most important person shows up and... well, raw emotion takes over. She wasn't happy with how things were and it turns out when you are completely unhinged and unable to act rationally you end up doing very questionable things. I do not think Homura was justified here and this was definitely a case where an otherwise noble goal was twisted and perverted out of intense uncontrolled emotion and desperation. Which when you think about it was exactly the major theme of the original series from the start. Homura is quite literally a fallen angel, not that they made that particular fact subtle in any way, but still.

A far more succinct summary of what went down: "I reject your reality and substitute my own" :v:

Frankly I loved it and would totally watch it again in the theater if at all possible (not looking good for me...). The first half was me sitting quietly in bewilderment while the second half was just an endless stream of yelling at the screen and hitting my chair. This was also some of the most striking visual work I've seen out of Inu Curry's collaboration with Shaft. Homura vs Mami might be one of my favorite fight scenes in anime ever.

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 18, 2013

• Locked thread