Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The canonical fair catch kick attempt happened in 2005, at the end of the first half of a high school game (NCAA rules got rid of it for boring reasons, but Fed still has it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mMAnYyf8tc

"What in the world???????"

Now, the answer to "what the hell is going on in Canada?": if a kick goes dead in your end zone, you get the ball on your 35 and you concede one point; so it wasn't an option just to let the field goal fall no good like Americans would have. You're also allowed to kick the ball at any time (including while it's loose on the ground), so punting the ball out was the only thing the returners could do, since the field goal team was hustling down to stop them running it out and kneeling. The kickers were then entitled to punt the ball back in again, which they did, and the second kick out was unsuccessful.

(In American football a return kick would cause the ball to become dead immediately, and a five-yard penalty from the spot of the kick, because fun is not allowed.)

Other variant rules on display: if you're behind the kicker you can go and get the ball without the other team having to touch it first; end zones are up to 20 yards deep (but often are less due to stadiums not being big enough coupled with the 110-yard field); goalposts on the goal line where they belong for comedy purposes; there are no fair catches but anyone in position to possess a kick (including after it touches the ground) has to be given five yards when they first touch the ball unless you were behind the kicker, in which case you can go and get it.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Trin Tragula posted:

The canonical fair catch kick attempt happened in 2005, at the end of the first half of a high school game (NCAA rules got rid of it for boring reasons, but Fed still has it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mMAnYyf8tc

"What in the world???????"

Everything about this video is amazing.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Everything about this video is amazing.

I'm now really disappointing that all football telecasts at all levels don't have detailed explanations about what each team's fixin' to do.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

If I had to pick one thing to represent the state of Georgia as I have experienced it, that video is at the top of the list.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

In a play with a bunch of laterals, how do they figure the stats? Does each person who handled the ball get some rushing yards credited to them? What if it was initially a pass - does the end result of a bunch of laterals count as passing/receiving yards?

If a penalty is declined, does it still show up on the penalties/yards stat, or is it like it never happened?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SkunkDuster posted:

If a penalty is declined, does it still show up on the penalties/yards stat, or is it like it never happened?

It never happened.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

SkunkDuster posted:

In a play with a bunch of laterals, how do they figure the stats? Does each person who handled the ball get some rushing yards credited to them? What if it was initially a pass - does the end result of a bunch of laterals count as passing/receiving yards?
Assuming we're gaining yards:

Running play: The player who gets past the line of scrimmage gets a "rush" and the "rush yards" get allocated based on how much each person personally gained past the spot the lateral they caught came from (or, for the person who crossed the line of scrimmage, how far they got past the line of scrimmage).

Passing play: anybody advancing the ball gets "receiving yards" (which the QB also gets as "pass yards").

There are a lot of wrinkles for yardage loss, stuff behind the line of scrimmage, and kickoffs etc. and I can't describe all the permutations much more briefly than the manual does (and okay I didn't know the wrinkles myself until I looked just now): http://www.nflgsis.com/gsis/documentation/stadiumguides/guide_for_statisticians.pdf

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 18, 2013

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Do pass interference plays get counted as passing attempts? I feel like this might be really obvious but I'm not sure.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
They do not. Everything except the penalty yardage gets wiped from the box score.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

OperaMouse posted:

Are there limits (except the owner's greed) on the amount of coaches an NFL team have, or their salary?
Or to the amount of people involved in the franchise can be at the side line during a game?

This is from several days ago, but I don't think there's a hard limit to the amount of coaches a team can have. The Bucs for instance have the largest coaching staff in the league (so its obviously not standardized). I think that stuff is mostly left up to head coaches to set up and outside of HC and coordinators the money hits aren't going to be significant enough to make most team owners sweat it. Its certainly no guarantee of success though (see Bucs again). I honestly don't know if sideline staff is limited in some way.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

NFL Rule 13-1-3:

quote:

With the exception of uniformed players eligible to participate in the game, all persons in a team’s bench area
must wear a visible credential clearly marked “BENCH.” For all NFL games—preseason, regular-season, and postseason
the home club will be issued a maximum of 27 credentials and the visiting club will be issued a maximum of 25 credentials
for use in its bench area.
Such credentials must be worn by coaches, players under contract to the applicable club but
ineligible to participate in the game, and team support personnel (trainers, doctors, equipment men).
From time to time,
persons with game services credentials (e.g., oxygen technicians, ball boys) and authorized club personnel not regularly
assigned to the bench area may be in a team’s bench area for a brief period without bench credentials. Clubs are
prohibited from allowing into their bench areas any persons who are not officially affiliated with the club or otherwise
serving a necessary game day function.

NCAA rules allow a maximum of 60 non-playing persons subject to the rules in the team area.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 19, 2013

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, didn't realize there was a rule on that. Makes a sort of sense, you don't want the bench to be completely swarmed I guess. It is worth noting that being a coach doesn't necessarily mean that you're on the sideline during games.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
So just stash a bunch of people in the booth like its Mardi gras.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Any idea why the home team is allowed to have two more people in the bench area?

What factors do teams consider when deciding if they want to defend left or right after the coin toss? Seems to me like it wouldn't make any difference since they switch every quarter.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SkunkDuster posted:

Any idea why the home team is allowed to have two more people in the bench area?

What factors do teams consider when deciding if they want to defend left or right after the coin toss? Seems to me like it wouldn't make any difference since they switch every quarter.

Usually the wind direction is the biggest factor, or sometimes field conditions or the position of the sun.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SkunkDuster posted:

Wind and either open sides of the stadium or student sections/louder parts of the stadium would be the big things I'd think. How you'd choose to deal with those can vary though. Like you might want to kick off at the beginning with the wind at your back hoping to force them to punt into it or you might want the wind at your back in the 4th quarter in case of a late field goal attempt.

If you know or think one side of the stadium is louder you'd probably want to be driving towards the other side in the 2nd and 4th quarters, hoping that it'll be a little easier to communicate. Since that's when you're more likely to be in a hurry and all.

Most of the time you're right though, it doesn't make much difference.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Why didn't the Patriots build an indoor stadium when they replaced Foxboro? Is the cold weather something they try to use as an advantage?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Windmill Hut posted:

Why didn't the Patriots build an indoor stadium when they replaced Foxboro? Is the cold weather something they try to use as an advantage?

Cleveland, New York/New Jersey and New England all built new stadiums pretty recently and went with open-roof stadiums, primarily because of tradition and cost. Fans more than players or management would prefer it I think

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Rap posted:

Cleveland, New York/New Jersey and New England all built new stadiums pretty recently and went with open-roof stadiums, primarily because of tradition and cost. Fans more than players or management would prefer it I think

Yeah, but fans are stupid. Just ask anyone in Texas about Tony Romo.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I know I wish Cleveland had put on a dome so they could be in the mix for a Super Bowl but oh well

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Rap posted:

I know I wish Cleveland had put on a dome so they could be in the mix for a Super Bowl but oh well

It didn't help St. Louis any.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Seattle built the CLink partly to entice Super Bowl bids but we can't even get that despite our mild winters and the stadium partially built to shield fans from the elements.

Super Bowl voters are dumb.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Benne posted:

Seattle built the CLink partly to entice Super Bowl bids but we can't even get that despite our mild winters and the stadium partially built to shield fans from the elements.

I think I read somewhere that the Clink is an easy retrofit for a retractable roof due to the roof support beams, but maybe I'm wrong. In any case I prefer the open air 1.) because the skyline view is awesome 2.) because Seattle winters are a goddamn joke and 3.) cold owns, 907 pride

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

swickles posted:

Yeah, but fans are stupid. Just ask anyone in Texas about Tony Romo.

as a dumb fan, I

would have been annoyed if they built a dome and then probably ultimately not ended up caring because hey, football

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Benne posted:

Wait til after this year when its only held in Tampa, Miami, Dallas, and San Diego.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

swickles posted:

Wait til after this year when its only held in Tampa, Miami, Dallas, and San Diego.

Miami still has stadium problems. They were considered the front runners to host 51 until voters rejected the Dolphins' renovation plans, so the bid went to Houston instead. After the Marlins debacle, I can't blame Miami taxpayers.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

swickles posted:

What's the problem.

If San Diego builds a new stadium, they'll host a Super Bowl like every three years

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Hell, Santa Clara's already getting a Super Bowl and the stadium's not even finished yet.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Grozz Nuy posted:

Hell, Santa Clara's already getting a Super Bowl and the stadium's not even finished yet.

I hope everybody's ready for the World's Biggest Clusterfuck. The more I think about it the more the logistics of that Super Bowl worry me.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Niners are still set to move there next year, right? Are there any hiccups with the Super Bowl plans I'm not aware of?

(Other than the obvious traffic problem of getting everyone from SF proper ~50 miles south on game day)

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Yeah they're moving over there next year. Right now Candlestick is a mess because there's really one road into it, which is an off-ramp of 101. The new stadium has a somewhat small road leading to it off of a pretty large road. Currently getting out of Candlestick is easy because the neighborhood has a ton of small blocks surrounding it; the new stadium has a lot of large business-sized blocks surrounding it, so traffic can't disperse down side-roads as easily. I drive the area somewhat frequently for work and I'm genuinely curious about the logistics of it all.

There's a reason why the NFL has decided they don't get a prime-time game next year except on Sunday.

Edit: I looked at it again and there are 4 routes out, so it won't be as bad as I thought, but still bad, considering 3 of those 4 routes involve the intersection of Tasman & Great American Parkway.

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 27, 2013

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I don't get that they just now? Told the niners no weeknight games until they study traffic. Isn't that like step 1 or 2 of the planning process?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Why don't they spread the Superbowl hosts move evenly? It's not like if they had the Superbowl in Green Bay or Buffalo people wouldn't show up.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

SkunkDuster posted:

Why don't they spread the Superbowl hosts move evenly? It's not like if they had the Superbowl in Green Bay or Buffalo people wouldn't show up.

because journalists want warm weather and nice amenities and they basically decide where its held. Also, wherever the NFL can make the most money by luring people to it and it actually happens to be in warm climates or tourist destinations. Its the same mentality with college bowl games.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I've always thought that was stupid.

I went to bowl games to go to Bowl Games. I don't give a poo poo if there's...anything other than a place to sleep and a bowl game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sash! posted:

I've always thought that was stupid.

I went to bowl games to go to Bowl Games. I don't give a poo poo if there's...anything other than a place to sleep and a bowl game.

It seems like you should realize by this point that you should voluntarily remove yourself from conversations about what the average fan might do. Warm places in January and February are (seemingly) obviously a nice idea for fans, although I admit the Super Bowl should be a big enough event to overcome that.

e: Of course screw all journalists complaining about that type of thing forever

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Journalists are already :qq:ing over the NYC Super Bowl this year because maybe it won't have perfect weather for them.

Then again they poo poo-talked Jacksonville so maybe they should all just go gently caress themselves.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Benne posted:

The Niners are still set to move there next year, right? Are there any hiccups with the Super Bowl plans I'm not aware of?

(Other than the obvious traffic problem of getting everyone from SF proper ~50 miles south on game day)

I'm not sure how you would verify it, but I wouldn't be surprised if 50% or more of the attendees are from the South Bay.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Gonna keep postin' since I have tickets at The Field of Jeans. They're going to almost all be South Bay residents by design, hence the massive PSLs. They're basically designed to make it tech-company people with more money than sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

It seems like you should realize by this point that you should voluntarily remove yourself from conversations about what the average fan might do. Warm places in January and February are (seeimgly) obviously a nice idea for fans, although I admit the Super Bowl should be a big enough event to overcome that.

I dunno, I didn't feel like I was being Old Sash when I went to the Outback Bowl. 95 south the day before the game was Penn State and West Virginia cars heading to Tampa and Jacksonville, the next day was the same thing going back north. Those games could have been in Ocala and Waldo for all it seemed that people stayed around town.

• Locked thread