Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Red posted:

I'd be interested in seeing a graph/chart that showed when PSPers started watching wrestling. I'd wager most started in the Attitude Era, with some coming in during the InVasion or just after.

I watched Hulk Hogan lose to that freak Ultimate Warrior live from Skydome and it was more than my 10 year old Hulkamaniac brain could take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

Red posted:

I'd be interested in seeing a graph/chart that showed when PSPers started watching wrestling. I'd wager most started in the Attitude Era, with some coming in during the InVasion or just after.

If people are actually interested in this I would do a survey thing and put something together.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Red posted:

1983 buddy :colbert:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

sk posted:

If people are actually interested in this I would do a survey thing and put something together.

This would be really cool, actually. I say do it.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Red posted:

This is probably right, but most of the people who would reply to something like this will claim the early 80s.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

sk posted:

Do it!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I think the first wrestling related thing I can remember is Akeem making Elizabeth go splat off of the ring apron, so that would have been, what...1988?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

If someone's doing a survey it might be cool to add what promotion got you in wrestling.

I'm sure it's WWF for the vast majority of people om here, but I'm sure at least a few started by watching WCW or their regional promotion. I know there's at least a couple people on here from Memphis who can remember the CWA/USWA.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

If you're from the UK and didn't get hooked on wrestling by watching fat guys run into each other in front of a crowd of grannies who were swinging their handbags around in rage on world of sport then I'm not sure I want to know you.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

1981. My lawn...

[e]

quote:

I know there's at least a couple people on here from Memphis who can remember the CWA/USWA.
Yep. Kevin Sullivan was just this roided-up Bostonian, and HTM was just "Lawler's cousin Wayne Ferris."

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
1990 or so the first time. Stopped around 93 and picked up in 1998. Stopped again in 2004 and picked up once more in 2011.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
My first wrestling memory is the green NWA ring, I didn't watch much during that period and got hooked in July of 97.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Perfidus posted:

1990 or so the first time. Stopped around 93 and picked up in 1998. Stopped again in 2004 and picked up once more in 2011.

Almost identical for me. Watched from '89-93 and picked up again in '98. Stopped watching regularly in 2006 due to no longer having cable although I still kept up with the major news and events online. Started watching again in 2010 when I discovered ROH iPPVs and online streams of Raw.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
If we ignore, just for a second, the unfortunate title of this video, it has some pretty cool clips. At around 2:09, Sherri does this amazing kick spot by the ring apron. I'm wondering: Have other wrestlers done it? Who and when?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxFrFGzAz1Y&t=129s

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
One thing I'd also be curious to see is who the first heel you ever liked was. It may be less relevant to those who started watching as an adult, but I'd still find it interesting. Probably at least a few Jake Roberts answers.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

I remember renting PPV's from Blockbuster when i was about 6/7 so that would mean i started watching around 1990. I went to a house show (free tickets through a friend) in 1994. Wasn't great looking back but I got to see Bret hart and Hakushi have a very good match. Main Event was Karma vs Undertaker. So it might have been 1995? It was after the urn had been melted and Karma was wearing it as a chain. I got regualr access to WWE in 1998 (as in i got sky tv) and here we are now.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

El Gallinero Gros posted:

One thing I'd also be curious to see is who the first heel you ever liked was. It may be less relevant to those who started watching as an adult, but I'd still find it interesting. Probably at least a few Jake Roberts answers.

Macho Man for me.

I'm a weird case in that, I started watching in '96, but we couldn't afford satellite TV, so every week, my dad bought me VHS copies of old PPVs, starting at WM1.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The first wrestling memory I have is catching an episode of WCW Monday Night Nitro a few weeks after Bash at the Beach in '96. Then Wrestlemania 13 and the Undertaker got me into WWF in '97.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.
The first wrestling memory I have is Vince in his office bringing in the nWo, and Scott Hall duct taped to an office chair. When I started really watching, Austin, Rock and Brock had all left so I never got to see them in their prime. I remember really liking The Hurricane and watching Carlito debut.

I picked a really weird time to start watching.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

sk posted:

Awesome, I hope you do. This could be interesting.

It's probably important to separate "What was the first match you ever saw?" versus "What got you into wrestling?".

If you asked me the first part, I'd say King Kong Bundy vs. Hillbilly Jim in like 1985 or 1986. The second part would be Hulk Hogan losing to The Undertaker.

So it might help to ask?

1. What was the first match you remember watching?
1a. What year (estimate) did this take place?
2. What was the first angle you remember?
2a. What year (estimate) did this take place?
3. What match/angle got you interested into following wrestling closely?
3a: What year (estimate) did this take place?
4. How old are you?
5. If you watched wrestling as a kid, who were your top 3 favorite wrestlers (rank favorite to least favorite, 1 to 3, with 1 being most favorite).

Just a suggestion.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I think I started regularly watching just before Royal Rumble 2008. I'm pretty sure it was the episode where Jeff Hardy did a swanton offf some impossibly high thing (the rafters maybe?). I then watched until about when Cena feuded with Sheamus in I think 2010 and my friend got me back into it just before Summerslam this year.

Edit: as for the questions,

1. I honestly forget, but I wanna say when I was a bit younger I caught some Rey Mysterio match but I don't really remember it.
1a. I have no clue, 06 maybe?
2. As said, Orton/Hardy.
2a. 2008 obviously
3. That'd be the aforementionned swanton off the rafters.
3a. Same as above
4. 19 now, so I was 13 back then
5. Does 13 count as a kid? If so, I was already aware that wrestling was fake by then, so I was never a mark, but my favourites were probably...

1. Jeff Hardy (That swanton left a real impression on me)
2. Edge (This may have been because I liked his theme music a lot)
3. Either Taker or (please don't hate me IWC) John Cena

Junpei Hyde fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 18, 2013

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

1. I think it was Paul Wight vs Mankind in a Boiler Room Brawl, Owen and Jarrett were also on that card if i remember
1a. 1999
2. Jessie the Body Ventura Summerslam referee stuff.
2a. 1999
3. Hardyz vs Dudleys
3a: RR 2000
4. 23
5. 1, Chris Jericho
2, Jeff Hardy
3, The Rock

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I don't remember if it's my first wrestling memory or first WWE memory, but I seem to recall the Undertaker fighting some jobber and then putting him in a body bag. Does this ring a bell with anyone, and could tell me around when this was?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Red posted:

It's probably important to separate "What was the first match you ever saw?" versus "What got you into wrestling?".

If you asked me the first part, I'd say King Kong Bundy vs. Hillbilly Jim in like 1985 or 1986. The second part would be Hulk Hogan losing to The Undertaker.

So it might help to ask?

4. How old are you?
5. If you watched wrestling as a kid, who were your top 3 favorite wrestlers (rank favorite to least favorite, 1 to 3, with 1 being most favorite).

Just a suggestion.

This is fun.

1. Bret Hart vs HBK ironman match WM 12.
1a. 1996.
2. Tie: nWo & Mankind vs Undertaker
2a. 1996
3. The Undertaker between the Royal Rumble and WM 13.
3a. 1997
4. 27
5. Undertaker, Mankind, Sting.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

1. 3.0/Fist, CHIKARA
1a. 2012
2. Gran Akuma fighting his way back into CHIKARA
2a. 2012
3. CM Punk's title reign
3a: 2012
4. How old are you? 19

I got into wrestling pretty recently.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Red posted:

So it might help to ask?

4. How old are you?

Just a suggestion.

1. Hogan/Boss Man in the old blue cage... I think from some Colliseum 'exclusive' match rented from the video store.
1a. 91-92?
2. The first one I clearly recall was probably Shawn/Razor and the two IC titles
2a I know the blowoff was WMX so I assume late 93.
3.The Shawn 'post-concussion' angle and subsequent Rumble is what totally hooked me.
3a Again, knowing when the payoff was, it must've been around 95.
4. 27
5. 1: Shawn Michaels.
2: Bret Hart
3: I want to say Taker, but possibly Waltman or the Smoking Gunns (I had a crush on Sunny)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The Senator Giroux posted:

I don't remember if it's my first wrestling memory or first WWE memory, but I seem to recall the Undertaker fighting some jobber and then putting him in a body bag. Does this ring a bell with anyone, and could tell me around when this was?

Could have been right after his debut, as he started doing that in Superstars squashes a few matches in. Actually, I remember that he steadily got more weird with his post match antics, creeping the announcers out. One match he'd just Tombstone someone, the next he threw some kind of dust on them. Then came the body bag.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

1. Probably the 2000 Royal Rumble.
1a. Umm, 2000.
2. This is an embarrassing one. Vince Russo telling Goldberg he had to win 176 matches in a row or he'll fire him. In my defense, I was 7.
2a. 2000
3. Goldberg killing dudes.
3a: Roughly 1998.
4. 20
5. Sting, Goldberg, Booker T.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

1. Hogan and Beefcake vs. Macho Man and Zeus
1a. 1989

2. Zeus screaming "HULK . . . HOGAN!!!! BEEFCAKE . . . BARBER!!!!" into the camera.
2a. 1989

3. I guess that one? I've watched wrestling for as long as I can remember because my older brother did. The first time I got really hyped up for wrestling was Warrior vs. Hogan. My brother mercilessly made fun of me when Hogan lost. Later that year Warrior was supposed to make an appearance at our local mall, showed up for 10 minutes and hosed off. The first PPV I bought with allowance money was In Your House 1.
3a: 1989, 1990, 1995.

4. 27.

5. 1) Bret
2) LOD
3) Hogan

The first heels I ever cheered for were Bret during his Austin feud and the NWO.

Gaz-L posted:

1. Hogan/Boss Man in the old blue cage... I think from some Colliseum 'exclusive' match rented from the video store.
1a. 91-92?

While checking out the wikipedia page for Summerslam '89, I saw that the Hogan-Zeus feud really got going when Zeus attacked Hogan before a steel cage match with the Big Bossman on a Saturday Night Main Event. That could have been your match.

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 19, 2013

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

:siren: :siren: GOON PROJECT CLICK ON THIS LINK HOLY poo poo :siren: :siren:

When I stop getting responses I'll put the data together in a pleasing way!

your friend sk fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 19, 2013

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

4. How old are you?

1. I think Sting against some jobber.
1a. 1989
2. Evil Yokozuna's rise to the top of the WWF, starting with the cold blooded murder of Jim Duggan.
2a. 1992-93
3. I honestly don't know, I just know it came before the Yokozuna angle. I was hooked, despite real strong storylines at the time.
3a. ~1990.
4. 29
5. Owen Hart, Mick Foley, Stone Cold

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

sk posted:

:siren: :siren: GOON PROJECT CLICK ON THIS LINK HOLY poo poo :siren: :siren:

When I stop getting responses I'll put the data together in a pleasing way!

that does not seem to be a link

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Actual wrestling question:

Why is gorilla and all that stuff immediately behind the stage in a large tented tunnel?

e: Why is it in a tent?

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 19, 2013

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Why is gorilla and all that stuff immediately behind the stage in a large tented tunnel?

The spot by the entrance 'tunnel' is called the "Gorilla Position." Supposedly because Gorilla Monsoon was usually stationed there when he was still around.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

e: Why is it in a tent?

Theres a couple of reasons, the most notable being it's a completely controlled enviroment that they can take from any venue to any venue without the need of trying to find appropriate facilities. Also the tent acts as an added sound buffer between the stage and backstage.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i watched from 1999-2001 and then stopped and started watching again when *Bryan alvarez voice* chris benoit killed his family

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

The Shaman of Cum posted:

i watched from 1999-2001 and then stopped and started watching again when *Bryan alvarez voice* chris benoit killed his family

I had stopped watching for about 18 months until Raw is Chris Benoit, having been woken up at like 2am by my friend phoning me up to breathlessly tell me that Kevin Sullivan had murdered the Benoits and no it was not a storyline.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Red posted:

4. How old are you?

1. Vader and Sid Vicious murdering the living hell out of some jobbers.
1a. Around 1993 or so.
2. God help me, it was the angle where Vader powerbombed Cactus Jack on the pavement, and then somebody (Tony Schiavone?) went around trying to find Cactus Jack and it turned out he was in Cleveland and had amnesia. :cripes:
2a. Wikipedia says this was also in '93, so there we are.
3. Having returned from Cleveland, Cactus Jack shows up in the WWE even crazier, wearing a mask, and calling himself Mankind, and proceeds to get into this bizarre war of attrition with the Undertaker. My young mind found all the crazy psychological stuff and how the violence escalated more and more and more as it went on to be pretty awesome.
3a. 1995 and, um, onwards. Taker and Mankind kinda feuded on and off for the rest of the Attitude era, almost.
4. 27.
5. 1) Sting 2) Cactus Jack 3) Legion of Doom (they were past their prime at this point but I sure as hell didn't know)
Honorable mention: Kensuke Sasaki, my favorite Worldwide mainstay. Man, was I in for a shock when I got into puro ten years later.

Re: the first heel I liked, it was definitely Vader. As a kid Sting was my hero who could do no wrong, but I totally respected Vader for being able to maul him and also for being a huge scary motherfucker. I used to think it'd be the coolest thing ever if he became a good guy.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

I Before E posted:

that does not seem to be a link

:frogsiren: JESUS CHRIST HERE'S THE LINK SO EXCITING :frogsiren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

I embarrassed myself by telling you things. Thanks for letting me do that!