Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

You're probably better off using your fists. It's a shame the ring that doubles barehanded damage can't be gotten more easily.

Maybe, though keep in mind that if you've gone all magic all the time for around ~140 levels your strength is garbage. I think with the maxed out best archistaff in the game I've got sub-300 strength. I'd hit faster, but I'm not sure I'd do enough damage that it'd actually be faster. I'll check next time I find a metal golem.

A barehanded mage run would be so terrible. I kinda want to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

So I beat Daimon for the first time and then tried to go through Bitterblack Isle again and started farming dragons. I have defeated about 3 or 4 of them and I still can't get these drat bardiche daggers to dragonforge.

That being said, I pussied out and switched it to Easy Mode because I got tired of getting of the supposed "challenge" in the game where enemies simply get mountains of health and do more damage.

Use 4x conqueror's/demon's periapts. And you should only need those for the absolutely toughest stuff (i.e., necrophagous enemies, daimon, death).

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Just did the quest where you kill a Griffin. Makes me wonder why I was never able to stick to a game the other times I had the oppotunity to play it.

Started as a Fighter, got Sinew, and went Assassin. I am loving Assassin for the versatility alone. Being able to switch between raining five arrow clusters into my enemies eyes and twisting my sword through the enemy's stomach on a dime is pretty amazing. The Shadow Fort quest has easily been the best moment in the game so far.

My pawn's jumped between Fighter and Strider and I'm kinda at a loss of what to do with her, she seems pretty effective in both roles. Any advice on what NOT to do with pawns? (stuff the AI just won't figure out?)

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Aside from inclinations, keep them away from high places, water, and cockatrices. Pawns are quite suicidal.

I stopped using my pawns after Gold-Rareifying my Framae Blades and Darkening Storm. My Assassin is now death incarnate. The Augment that boosts your strength when you're solo got taken down a peg, but it's still pretty nice to have.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jesus gently caress those bandits with shields. :stare:

How the hell am I supposed to get past them to the witchwood? If I try to run they just run faster and strike me down, and I can't face them in a fight. :(

(edit) Found a way past them to the wood. Still, jesus, that's a nasty and unforgiving surprise, especially if you haven't saved in a while. Goddamn travel times.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Because of this game's goofy damage system, you're not going to be able to handle them until you've got a pretty strong weapon. What I did when I started was to bait them over to the exit of the path that leads upwards to them, grab one, and throw him off the nearby cliff. Gravity rules.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm another one who got this off of PS+ and love it so far (only got as far as the hydra but am restarting for ~reasons~). I'm working my way through the thread and am sold on Magick Archer, but my munchkin sense is tingling. Statwise, without completely sperging, am I right in thinking it would make sense to max out Strider for the first few dozen levels for the balanced stat growth + good augs before switching over to MA?

Edit:
And for skills, are any of the groupsets lost/retained if I change vocation? Like for Strider, I see Dagger, Bow, and Core skills. Do I lose any of those sets when I switch vocations?

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 18, 2013

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm another one who got this off of PS+ and love it so far (only got as far as the hydra but am restarting for ~reasons~). I'm working my way through the thread and am sold on Magick Archer, but my munchkin sense is tingling. Statwise, without completely sperging, am I right in thinking it would make sense to max out Strider for the first few dozen levels for the balanced stat growth + good augs before switching over to MA?

Edit:
And for skills, are any of the groupsets lost/retained if I change vocation? Like for Strider, I see Dagger, Bow, and Core skills. Do I lose any of those sets when I switch vocations?

Technically it'd be best to start as Mage, switch to Sorcerer at lv10, then to MA once you've maxed it out. This will give you higher magic attack, which is important for MA since all their bow attacks are magic. Maxing out Sorcerer will also get you the magic boosting augment. That said, find Mage/Sorcerer fun, just do strider for a bit since its augments are quite good, then switch to MA. You will be considerably weaker w/o the magic boosting augment, though.

When switching vocations, you can use all skills from the previous vocation that are usable by the new vocation; i.e. if Strider has dagger skill that you've purchased, and MA can also unlock that same skill, you can still use it immediately upon switching to MA, even if normally you'd need to be a higher rank MA to use it. And Augments can be used by any class whatsoever.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Is there a "best" way to build Assassin?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Geektox posted:

Start as Figher, switch to Assassin at level 10. Assassin has the best stat growths for Assassin (or for any vocation that does physical damage, for that matter).

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Fhqwhgads posted:

Edit:

If you really want to sperg out you can use this google doc to figure out all your stat growths:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoEMT2JiCgOSdHZHUnB2SDlocmRlaXFybWQ4eXRDX1E#gid=0

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Geektox posted:

Depends on how good you are at not getting hit and if you ever plan on doing BBI on Hard Mode.

If you're awesome at it and/or never plan on going to Hard Mode, then Fighter 1-10, Assassin the rest of the way. You'll have insane physical damage and stamina and kinda lovely everything else, but Assassin doesn't really need much else, so hooray!

If you get hit from time to time and also plan to play Hard Mode one day, then you should still do mostly Assassin levels, but weave a few Warrior/Fighter levels (for health and defense) and Sorcerer levels (for magick defense) in there along the way. You'll do slightly less than insane damage (still real good) and probably won't die to a single High Levin on Hard. But, again, if you're good enough to support the pure Assassin glass cannon build there's no real reason not to.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Don't worry about your stats since for all sane playthroughs your gear and skill setup is going to be more important.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Harrow posted:

If you get hit from time to time and also plan to play Hard Mode one day, then you should still do mostly Assassin levels, but weave a few Warrior/Fighter levels (for health and defense) and Sorcerer levels (for magick defense) in there along the way. You'll do slightly less than insane damage (still real good) and probably won't die to a single High Levin on Hard. But, again, if you're good enough to support the pure Assassin glass cannon build there's no real reason not to.

Magick archer is better for magic defense, sorcerer is for magic attack.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Magic defense is kind of pointless really, since most magic attacks occupy extreme ends of the spectrum. It's either going to tickle, or instant kill you (BBI Sorcerers).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

sitchelin posted:

Magic defense is kind of pointless really, since most magic attacks occupy extreme ends of the spectrum. It's either going to tickle, or instant kill you (BBI Sorcerers).

Plus pretty much every magic other than projectiles or Maelstroms are really easy to avoid because of the AOE rings that appear before the actual attack. Also Sorcerer Mag Def growth is the same as MA IIRC.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Plus pretty much every magic other than projectiles or Maelstroms are really easy to avoid because of the AOE rings that appear before the actual attack. Also Sorcerer Mag Def growth is the same as MA IIRC.

Below 100, Sorcerer gets 5 per level and MA gets 4. They both have the same attack growth (2). After 100, MA pulls ahead.

It's also true that magick defense--and physical defense, for that matter--don't mean a drat thing if you don't get hit, but I know some people like to have a safety net, so taking some Sorcerer and Fighter/Warrior levels would be a good way to do that. It's not at all necessary if you're good at not getting hit, though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

It's also true that magick defense--and physical defense, for that matter--don't mean a drat thing if you don't get hit, but I know some people like to have a safety net, so taking some Sorcerer and Fighter/Warrior levels would be a good way to do that. It's not at all necessary if you're good at not getting hit, though.

Wakestones are my safety net. :colbert:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Harrow posted:

Below 100, Sorcerer gets 5 per level and MA gets 4. They both have the same attack growth (2). After 100, MA pulls ahead.

MA has such lovely stat growth.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is class stat growth really a thing I need to be thinking about all that much? :(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Not really. If you want to min/max you can but it's not necessary. Your equipment should offset the loss for the most part, plus there's always Periapts if you're feeling weak.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

No, but you'll always know in your heart that you could have murdered that little tiny bit faster.

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

Hahaha. So I started a new game, and I guess my new pawn is kind of a creeper. While I was poking around the beaches at Cassardis looking for seagulls he busts out with something like "Quina's room has quite a pleasant scent :spergin:"

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

Is class stat growth really a thing I need to be thinking about all that much? :(

Only if you play Hard.

Then it starts to matter much more.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Ciaphas posted:

Jesus gently caress those bandits with shields. :stare:

How the hell am I supposed to get past them to the witchwood? If I try to run they just run faster and strike me down, and I can't face them in a fight. :(

(edit) Found a way past them to the wood. Still, jesus, that's a nasty and unforgiving surprise, especially if you haven't saved in a while. Goddamn travel times.

Buy(and ideally upgrade) the best available gear from the merchant you save outside Cassardis and you should be able to kill them no problem.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Buy(and ideally upgrade) the best available gear from the merchant you save outside Cassardis and you should be able to kill them no problem.

Where the hell did he get off to, anyway? I haven't seen him since first getting to the Encampment.

Also I'm all the way over in Gran Soren now and gently caress traveling :mad:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Where the hell did he get off to, anyway? I haven't seen him since first getting to the Encampment.

You'll want to do the rescuing Quina quest before going any further since doing the next story quest will auto-fail it, and that prevents you from getting a quest later that nets you a portcrystal and some story stuff.

Reynard, the merchant, wanders all over Gransys and makes stops at a couple places. He can be hard to find unless you have a quest active that marks him out.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Ciaphas posted:

The trip from Cassardis and Gran Soren definitely suck in the early game. But I actually prefer going by foot to all my other destinations. Its a pretty world to look at and you can find some interesting stuff out there.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I restarted as a Mage (want to ultimately go MA) and it's definitely different than the Strider I started as. I've upgraded my Ingle/Frazil/Levin to their High versions on both myself and my Pawn, but I don't see a way to use the lower level version anymore. Is the charge time that drastically different between the two versions that I just inadvertently made it more difficult on myself?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

I restarted as a Mage (want to ultimately go MA) and it's definitely different than the Strider I started as. I've upgraded my Ingle/Frazil/Levin to their High versions on both myself and my Pawn, but I don't see a way to use the lower level version anymore. Is the charge time that drastically different between the two versions that I just inadvertently made it more difficult on myself?

Just fire it off earlier; you don't need to let the bar fill all the way. Let it fill once for basic version, twice for 2nd tier, and thrice for 3rd tier.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Genocyber posted:

Just fire it off earlier; you don't need to let the bar fill all the way. Let it fill once for basic version, twice for 2nd tier, and thrice for 3rd tier.

Oh, I gotcha. That makes sense. I'm still trying to get the hang of the charge-aim-fire mechanic of casting. Packs of wolves/goblins move around too quickly for me to seem to aim at specific ones, which sucks when there's one that's almost dead and one at full health, so of course I'd want to bolt the one that's almost dead, but welp.

Low level pawn pimping? If anyone else started the game with the PS+ download and wants lowbie pawn support, I have an ~Lvl.11 Mage that I tried to set up as Challenger/Utilitarian. PSN: Some-Redhead. Go on, take Honeypot out for a spin.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm still trying to get the hang of the charge-aim-fire mechanic of casting.

This takes some getting used to; if you continue holding the button, once the first level has charged up, you'll be able to start targeting; move the left stick to select your targets. Moving it the proper direction should auto-target things in that direction. Clicking the left stick will switch to manual target mode, which can sometimes be useful.

I like manual targeting Miasma at times (though that's sorceror, not mage), to drop it somewhere the enemies are about to be, so they'll spend more time in it.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Fhqwhgads posted:

Low level pawn pimping? If anyone else started the game with the PS+ download and wants lowbie pawn support, I have an ~Lvl.11 Mage that I tried to set up as Challenger/Utilitarian. PSN: Some-Redhead. Go on, take Honeypot out for a spin.

Took your pawn with me to the funhouse, she might be traumatized from being repeatedly murdered by everything. I hope you got some decent RC out of it.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

mirarant posted:

Took your pawn with me to the funhouse, she might be traumatized from being repeatedly murdered by everything. I hope you got some decent RC out of it.

It would be funny if pawns could get PTSD. I'll load up my game and she'll be clinging to my robes like a scared child. :ohdear:

(What's the funhouse? BBI?)

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Just got this game on 360. Very excited to play (how did I miss this game for so long, it seems like everything I want in an action rpg), but reluctant to start yet because I'm pretty damned confused about classes/vocations.

I guess all I need to know right now is does the class I pick at the start matter in any permanent sense stat wise? Because I know you can start switching to whatever classes back and forth at level 10. I'm just confused if the stat growth or whatever of my class is from level 1-10 really matters?

If I start as a fighter, but find out later I like something ranged instead, will I never be able to make my guy as good at ranged combat as a character who picked mage/strider at the start until level 10?

Real sorry if this question is old hat and annoying as gently caress by now.

Damo fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 20, 2013

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Nah, the classes don't matter much. The different stat growth really only matters for spergy min-maxing, and it's totally unnecessary. Start with whatever class you feel like, and switch whenever you want.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
OK cool then I'll just start as Fighter since it seems more straight forward. I really do want to check out some mage/archer type stuff at some point later on, and perhaps I'll like it better than melee, so that's good to know I won't be gimped for my initial choice at all.

edit: vv So then the initial choice barely matters since its only 10 levels of stat growth then, I suppose. What's the max level in this game anyway? Is there even a max?

Damo fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 20, 2013

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Whatever vocation you are will determine your stat growth during level ups. For the most part, you don't really need to worry about stat growth. You can compensate for that with good skills, equipment, etc. So pick whatever looks/plays fun to you.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Damo posted:

OK cool then I'll just start as Fighter since it seems more straight forward. I really do want to check out some mage/archer type stuff at some point later on, and perhaps I'll like it better than melee, so that's good to know I won't be gimped for my initial choice at all.

edit: vv So then the initial choice barely matters since its only 10 levels of stat growth then, I suppose. What's the max level in this game anyway? Is there even a max?

Maximum level is 200. The stat growths are different from 1-10, 10-100 and 100-200. The only stats you really need to consider are strength and magick, which determine all physical damage and all magical damage respectively. It's generally better to stick with one or the other, but any weaknesses you have can generally be compensated with either better gear, augments or periapts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
edit: eh gently caress it I'm too old to think about video games this hard, just playing whatever. Thanks for the advice dudes.

Damo fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 20, 2013

• Locked thread