Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Was that Ollie's cop girlfriend he had for like 2 episode before she transferred away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

King of Solomon posted:

Ah, yeah, you're right. Hm. That means it's probably not the best indication of actual popularity within the show (as obvious as that is for other reasons.)

Eh, still works since none of these actors are going to have popularity coming from elsewhere.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Aphrodite posted:

Eh, still works since none of these actors are going to have popularity coming from elsewhere.

What about Ollie's Facebook hijinks?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Habibi posted:

What about Ollie's Facebook hijinks?

That's still through the show, though.

I meant like none of the actors are also in Hunger Games or anything.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Aphrodite posted:

That's still through the show, though.

I liked that story better when it was called Battle Royale.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

Katie Cassidy has some higher-profile recognition from stuff like Supernatural and the Nightmare on Elm Street reboot.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Phylodox posted:

Katie Cassidy has some higher-profile recognition from stuff like Supernatural and the Nightmare on Elm Street reboot.

Even still, looking at the top ten list on that star meter thing (you can't look at much more without imdbpro) Katie Cassidy is with some impressive company in the top ten (JLaw, Chloe Grace Moretz, Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Jamie Dornan, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Scarlett Johansson, Katy Perry, and Natalie Portman are the top nine). Kind of makes me think it's easy for a rabid fanbase to game the system, which wouldn't be shocking, imdb and all.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

Dammit, Amell's hands-down the coolest dude in the world.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Is this a real poster without the riddler uniform and text? Because that hand is ghastly. If that was professionally done they should be fired.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Drifter posted:

Is this a real poster without the riddler uniform and text? Because that hand is ghastly. If that was professionally done they should be fired.

I don't care...I'm still laughing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I loved that episode and I don't even hate Felicity crushing on Olliver.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's been a change in plans, instead of a backdoor pilot later this season they're going to just give The Flash its own stand alone pilot. The episodes introducing Barry have already been filmed so there will be no change there but they haven't said what changes this means for Arrow's plot.

The good news is that they're doing it this way because CW execs liked what they saw enough to do this as a stand alone pilot will give the producers a much bigger budget and more time to devote to Barry's origin.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I am super goddamn curious about the direction of Flash's superpowers in the TV show. If they gimp him periodically such that he gets hit by people swinging bats or shooting bullets or tripping him by shoving a stick in his path it's going to be such a lame drag.

I tried rewatching the Justice League cartoon recently and was incredibly annoyed by one scene having the Flash running halfway around the world in a minute and another scene where an alien leads his target and throws a barrel at him. Like, seriously? gently caress you comic cartoon.

Or when Deathstroke stuck out his sword and the Flash ran himself into it. :suicide:

It'll totally be cool checking out the 8th and 9th episodes for Barry's involvement in Arrow.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I noticed there's a synopsis up for episode 8 on imdb, if you're wondering why Barry shows up.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2193021/episodes?season=2&ref_=tt_eps_sn_2

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Drifter posted:

I am super goddamn curious about the direction of Flash's superpowers in the TV show. If they gimp him periodically such that he gets hit by people swinging bats or shooting bullets or tripping him by shoving a stick in his path it's going to be such a lame drag.

I tried rewatching the Justice League cartoon recently and was incredibly annoyed by one scene having the Flash running halfway around the world in a minute and another scene where an alien leads his target and throws a barrel at him. Like, seriously? gently caress you comic cartoon.

Or when Deathstroke stuck out his sword and the Flash ran himself into it. :suicide:

It'll totally be cool checking out the 8th and 9th episodes for Barry's involvement in Arrow.

At the same time, if you don't give people some way to nerf his Pants of Goes Fast +10, he becomes stupidly overpowered very fast (:laugh:). Of course, arbitrary nerfbats are rather unsubtle, but someone needs to be able to put the breaks on him (:laugh:).

I'll stop now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Barry Allen does not have pants made of Goes gently caress off so you guys can stop saying that now.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Warmachine posted:

At the same time, if you don't give people some way to nerf his Pants of Goes Fast +10, he becomes stupidly overpowered very fast (:laugh:). Of course, arbitrary nerfbats are rather unsubtle, but someone needs to be able to put the breaks on him (:laugh:).

I'll stop now.

Plenty of ways to nerf super speed. Make it so he gets exhausted after a few seconds of running full speed so he has to hold back most of the time, or force him to slow down in indoor areas to keep from running through walls or killing people with a sonic boom.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh and to preempt all your quibbles over irl physics regarding F= MA and friction and so on the answer is "Speed Force".

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

hcreight posted:

I noticed there's a synopsis up for episode 8 on imdb, if you're wondering why Barry shows up.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2193021/episodes?season=2&ref_=tt_eps_sn_2

That sounds promising. :science:

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I just want the Flash to go fast as hell. When he's running, the rest of the world should look like it's at a complete standstill. If they make it so he can't do it for long, fine. Just so long as he's not the typical "I can run 70 mph!" Flash they seem to use 90% of the time in the cartoons. I swear, most of the time in Justice League, the only time he's as fast as he should be is when they're making a joke.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Kruller posted:

I just want the Flash to go fast as hell. When he's running, the rest of the world should look like it's at a complete standstill. If they make it so he can't do it for long, fine. Just so long as he's not the typical "I can run 70 mph!" Flash they seem to use 90% of the time in the cartoons. I swear, most of the time in Justice League, the only time he's as fast as he should be is when they're making a joke.

Yeah, but to be fair, a full-on Wally West Flash would completely trivialize everything to a degree even more ridiculous than Superman. He's easily the most powerful Justice League member when you consider what his power is and how it works. Superman always gets all the deity comparisons, but gently caress that. Flash is a god.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kruller posted:

A good example of Flash's power was in Crisis on Two Earths where he vibrates himself so fast at the right frequency that he rips a hole in the universe that Batman can use to follow Owlman to Earth Prime. I wonder about the practicality of Speed Force Barry in currently low-powered universe of Arrow. I mean we're getting there with miracle serum, but we're still a ways off from DC's tiny gods and Lazarus pits (LoA non-withstanding).

ComposerGuy posted:

Yeah, but to be fair, a full-on Wally West Flash would completely trivialize everything to a degree even more ridiculous than Superman. He's easily the most powerful Justice League member when you consider what his power is and how it works. Superman always gets all the deity comparisons, but gently caress that. Flash is a god.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Barry Allen does not have pants made of Goes gently caress off so you guys can stop saying that now.

No, Wally wears those ones now :(

Warmachine posted:

A good example of Flash's power was in Crisis on Two Earths where he vibrates himself so fast at the right frequency that he rips a hole in the universe that Batman can use to follow Owlman to Earth Prime. I wonder about the practicality of Speed Force Barry in currently low-powered universe of Arrow. I mean we're getting there with miracle serum, but we're still a ways off from DC's tiny gods and Lazarus pits (LoA non-withstanding).

They made it Wally in the movie, but in the original story it's Barry.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

No, Wally wears those ones now :(

They made it Wally in the movie, but in the original story it's Barry.

Barry never had them. Wally used his power to rebuild Barry's suit one time but that's it. Barry never had that ability.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Barry never had them. Wally used his power to rebuild Barry's suit one time but that's it. Barry never had that ability.

I meant Wally has pants of Go gently caress Off now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

I meant Wally has pants of Go gently caress Off now.

Well yes, yes he does.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Speaking of Flash's weaknesses, did he have any in the old 90's show? I was pretty young then, so all I remember was that he ate all the time when he wasn't zipping around.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OptimusWang posted:

Speaking of Flash's weaknesses, did he have any in the old 90's show? I was pretty young then, so all I remember was that he ate all the time when he wasn't zipping around.

Later in the season Tina discovered that his speed was killing him slowly and if he didn't take it easy he might die. I don't know if this ever came up in later episodes but it was a key factor in the clone episode.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

He also didn't have godlike lightspeed in that show, in fact he had to work to get up to the sound barrier. They intentionally kept his powers on the lower end and had him growing into them as it went on, like in earlier episodes he had to grab a piece of sheet metal to deflect bullets and then later in the season he managed to work out catching them.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I remember in the Young Justic Cartoon Wally had to actually eat a lot to maintain being able to run, like his suit had a little arm compartment which had high energy food to eat when he was getting tired.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

achillesforever6 posted:

I remember in the Young Justic Cartoon Wally had to actually eat a lot to maintain being able to run, like his suit had a little arm compartment which had high energy food to eat when he was getting tired.

That was a character quirk, not any sort of weakness.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

achillesforever6 posted:

Whenever Wally was in the Watchtower cafeteria in Justice League they showed him with a mountain of food on his tray. Also, I seem to remember him asking "Are you going to finish that?" a few times.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

McSpanky posted:

He also didn't have godlike lightspeed in that show, in fact he had to work to get up to the sound barrier. They intentionally kept his powers on the lower end and had him growing into them as it went on, like in earlier episodes he had to grab a piece of sheet metal to deflect bullets and then later in the season he managed to work out catching them.

This, or something like this is hopefully the way they go.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm hopeful but if Geoff Johns ever writes an episode (and you know he will) it's going to involed Barry going to lightspeed and entering the Speed Force.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Rhyno posted:

I'm hopeful but if Geoff Johns ever writes an episode (and you know he will) it's going to involed Barry going to lightspeed and entering the Speed Force.

He's already writing the pilot and he has a role on writing the Barry Allen 2 parter in Arrow. But I suspect the stakes will be kept reasonably low and he won't hit light speed until a couple of seasons in or whatever.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

I'm hopeful but if Geoff Johns ever writes an episode (and you know he will) it's going to involve Barry going beyond lightspeed and entering the Speed Force.

I don't believe that for one second.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Rhyno posted:

It's almost like you want the inevitable Flash thread to be nothing but GOES FAST jokes.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Slightly offtopic, but does anyone else hate Lazarus Pits?

Comics have enough of a horrid reputation with cheapening death, but the Pits outright nullify mortality. The fact that they're tied into the mythology of Batman, one of the most street-level characters in the DC stable, has always baffled me.

That said, I'm admiring the slow buildup Arrow has been doing with superpowers. I'm totally fine with a "this guy took a serum and punches REALLY Hard" power boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Narcissus1916 posted:

Slightly offtopic, but does anyone else hate Lazarus Pits?

Comics have enough of a horrid reputation with cheapening death, but the Pits outright nullify mortality. The fact that they're tied into the mythology of Batman, one of the most street-level characters in the DC stable, has always baffled me.

That said, I'm admiring the slow buildup Arrow has been doing with superpowers. I'm totally fine with a "this guy took a serum and punches REALLY Hard" power boost.

For a long time the Pits were super rare and a tightly guarded secret. They also made the person go completely insane. I really hope there's no mention of the pits in Arrow; bring on the science-based superpowers, whatever, but don't do the pits.

• Locked thread