Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bundt Cake posted:

Its phoney. Louie's life owns big time. Itd be like if Seinfeld was about a depressed dude with no money who never meets women. He makes himself out to be the ultimate humble person in the show. The real moments in the show stand out in my mind even though I haven't seen it in forever, like when he's ignoring Todd Barry at the diner, or when hes singing in the car with the kids. Its a well made show and real impressive for one guy to do so much work, and I like that he goes for some real moments of honesty, but then theres stuff that its really contrived like the scene where the highschool kid threatens to beat him up, or when Pamela Adlon's character asks him to take a bath and he screams in the street, and so on. I really should've left out the comment about Louie in my other post because I don't really want to get into it, but I figure I better answer since I brought it up.

Anyway its a good show and all I just don't see how it makes someone dickish to criticize it.

This is all pretty true but I've long since learned that Louie is one of those sacred cows that you can't really criticize. It's a no win situation. In the end some one will say "you just don't get it". There are times when Louie is a magical, great show and there are other times when it falls flat on its face. I think that's just the nature of the beast when you try to make a show that is so unpredictable and malleable and eccentric. I totally applaud CK's ideas and intention there are just times when it misses the mark by a mile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

Bundt Cake posted:

Its phoney. Louie's life owns big time. Itd be like if Seinfeld was about a depressed dude with no money who never meets women. He makes himself out to be the ultimate humble person in the show.

I agree. Most actors on TV are rich so any TV show that's not about rich actors is phony! Of all the actors on TV to call out for being phony, I think Louis CK is definitely the best example.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Groucho Marxist posted:

Calling something overrated isn't the same thing as calling it bad

This is extremely true.

The Ape of Naples posted:

This is all pretty true but I've long since learned that Louie is one of those sacred cows that you can't really criticize. It's a no win situation. In the end some one will say "you just don't get it". There are times when Louie is a magical, great show and there are other times when it falls flat on its face. I think that's just the nature of the beast when you try to make a show that is so unpredictable and malleable and eccentric. I totally applaud CK's ideas and intention there are just times when it misses the mark by a mile.

In general, people don't like nuance. There's a very strong "you're either with us or you're against us" streak in human nature, where people can't agree on some issues and disagree on others. For many people, one "wrong" opinion is enough to make you The Enemy. And nuanced criticism? This is a terrible example, but gamers who are fans of particular games will throw enormous hissy fits and tantrums if a reviewer is less than 100% glowing about their favorite game. People want you to say "this is good" or "this is bad"; not anything more complicated than that.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

soru posted:

I agree. Most actors on TV are rich so any TV show that's not about rich actors is phony! Of all the actors on TV to call out for being phony, I think Louis CK is definitely the best example.

Its a show about a guy named Louie who is friends with the actual people Louie is friends with, with the same marital and custody situations, with the same job as him, working out bits that are the same as his real life bits at the spot where he works them out in real life, that he wrote every line of of every script for and shot all himself

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Bundt Cake posted:

Its phoney. Louie's life owns big time. Itd be like if Seinfeld was about a depressed dude with no money who never meets women. He makes himself out to be the ultimate humble person in the show. The real moments in the show stand out in my mind even though I haven't seen it in forever, like when he's ignoring Todd Barry at the diner, or when hes singing in the car with the kids. Its a well made show and real impressive for one guy to do so much work, and I like that he goes for some real moments of honesty, but then theres stuff that its really contrived like the scene where the highschool kid threatens to beat him up, or when Pamela Adlon's character asks him to take a bath and he screams in the street, and so on. I really should've left out the comment about Louie in my other post because I don't really want to get into it, but I figure I better answer since I brought it up.

Anyway its a good show and all I just don't see how it makes someone dickish to criticize it.

I don't know about other people in this thread, but my finding Kindler to be an obnoxious douchebag isn't really because he criticizes Louie at all. It's not any one thing, in fact. I don't always disagree with him or like everything he shits on or what have you, I dislike the fact that he does, to use a term mentioned earlier in the thread, seem to think he's the Arbiter of All Things Comedy. You disagreed earlier in the thread and said he wasn't wrong to criticize Louie, but criticizing Louie isn't why he comes across that way. Being in the business for 30 years doesn't mean his opinions are somehow the only objective ones in comedy. Plus, I don't even find him funny enough personally to ignore his obnoxious bloviating on comedy.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Bundt Cake posted:

Its a show about a guy named Louie who is friends with the actual people Louie is friends with, with the same marital and custody situations, with the same job as him, working out bits that are the same as his real life bits at the spot where he works them out in real life, that he wrote every line of of every script for and shot all himself

There's such a thing as semi-autobiographical. You mention, "Itd be like if Seinfeld was about a depressed dude with no money who never meets women", but really, it'd be like if Jerry was a modestly successful club comic, rather than one of the world's most famous comedians, with a #1 sitcom, which is exactly what it was.

And I'm not even arguing that the show is perfect or beyond reproach--we probably agree entirely on that front--just that the "but it's not true!" complaint is bullshit.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

Bundt Cake posted:

You're right. It's like that old writing adage says: "Write what you know, but only exactly what you know with zero changes, otherwise you're a phony."

Anyway, sarcasm aside, Beeez is right. Kindler being a douchebag isn't really about insulting Louie in particular. It's about his combination of a weird superiority complex, hate of successful people who don't pay him, and love of attention from lovely fabricated drama. When he insults Larry David, I don't think he believes exactly what he says, but I do think he has a half-boner from airing jealous resentment and believes saying it will raise his status by involving him in some stupid comedian/internet drama.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The show is pretty heart-breaking sometimes, and if you were tuning in expecting something more typically comedic, I could see an issue there. That said, I think it's a drat good show.

Oh, I thought you were speaking of Louie's comedy on general, not just his show. Not that his comedy is above criticism. I just wondered at the specific use of the term "problem"

rypakal fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 18, 2013

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

WoG posted:

And I'm not even arguing that the show is perfect or beyond reproach--we probably agree entirely on that front--just that the "but it's not true!" complaint is bullshit.

Thats not my complaint. And Seinfeld is a sitcom with an audience there laughing. Its not equivalent, and its not the same as an actor on a show about ghosts or whatever, either.

soru posted:

You're right. It's like that old writing adage says: "Write what you know, but only exactly what you know with zero changes, otherwise you're a phony."

Again that's not the point I was making. The problem with the show is that Louie's philosophy about comedy is about being honest and talking about yourself, while his show makes him out to be this perfectly humble guy who is looking for love and just struggling with being honest all the time, and learning lessons about life through some other comic doing crowdwork being able to talk to his niece, or about how black people don't tip, or about how people from different cultures can all laugh at a fat guy falling over. And Louie is mature enough to be the fat guy falling over.

I'd be surprised if you responded to my actual point, but its that the show is disingenuous, not that it isn't accurate to his life. And really im going to try hard to not participate in this conversation anymore because its pointless, and also holy crap you are annoying and I hope Andy Kindler pisses you off forever

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I hate Louie, and most of CK's work in general, entirely because I think he's pretty average, but his fans are the obsessive sperglords who literally cannot fathom someone not liking his style of writing/humor/whatever unless they are too stupid to get it or just trolling or whatever. There can be literally no living being who understands humor and doesn't enjoy Louis CK unless they're just loving with people I guess.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I hate Louie, and most of CK's work in general, entirely because I think he's pretty average, but his fans are the obsessive sperglords who literally cannot fathom someone not liking his style of writing/humor/whatever unless they are too stupid to get it or just trolling or whatever. There can be literally no living being who understands humor and doesn't enjoy Louis CK unless they're just loving with people I guess.

hEY This guy just called his daughter a oval office!! Dads arent suppose to say that haha

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I clicked on this thread to talk about comedy podcasts but somehow I wandered into the godawful Louie thread in TV IV. I'm not sure how that happened.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Talk about a comedy podcast then, you goof.

There isn't a Maximum Fun thread, so my recommendation should be kosher: Stop Podcasting Yourself. It's basically an interview show where the first half an hour is spent talking about the guest's life, while the second half is talking about things overheard/overseen, both by them and submitted by their listeners. It's a brilliant interview show and the two Canadian hosts are excellent in spinning out comedy from the guest's experiences. The second half is perhaps less creative since it relies on out-of-context lines, but it's still brilliant. Why not try to listen to one of Paul F. Tompkins appearances?

And for something from the other side of the Atlantic, a British game/panel show Pappy's Flatshare Slamdown. It's hosted by a three-man improv group and essentially is a rather amateur-ish three-round panel show. The show is framed within a 'bad roommates' story and all the games are based on what activity the roommates are bad at, such as starting parties or washing dishes. I recommend the episode about Sheds, starring Tim Vine, a British 'pun-master' and perhaps my favourite stand-up comedian. Or, you know, the Paul F. Tompkins episode.

Paul F. Tompkins is really in everything.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

This really is a great podcast. It's hard to get people to give it a shot for two reasons: There are a lot of 'couple of comedians talking to a guest' podcasts out there, and this one is Canadian so you probably won't have heard of the hosts or a lot of the guests.

But if you give it a try you'll find it's very, very funny. I don't think I'd describe it as an interview show. It's more along the lines of Never Not Funny in that the guest is there to participate in a conversation about whatever comes up, not necessarily to discuss their career.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
There's no better place to get your Hulk Hogan News.

To throw my recommended SPY episodes: anything with Alicia Tobin or Kyle Kinane.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
^^thanks for the guest recommendations. The few SPYs I've heard (the aforementioned Tompkins and Kinane eps among them) have been great, but it winds up in the 'depends on the guest' pile for me, which unfortunately for them, turns out to be like 3% of their episodes.

*sigh* Best Show's ending, though, so I guess that clears up a big chunk of my podcast time in a month.

In other amazing comedy podcast news, NEW ANALYZE PHISH!!!

e: which, holy coincidence, batman: I just paused mid-post to look at the description and--what do you know--guest starring Tom Scharpling!

WoG fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 19, 2013

Dick Holden
Jul 18, 2003

Purple!
Does anybody know when The Pod F. Tompkast is coming back? It's been too long since it's been night time on the internet :(

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I've been looking forward to today's Dead Author podcast with Kurt Braunohler as William S Burroughs, but was a bit wary because I really like Burroughs as a writer and was worried that'd get in the way. Then, before the end of the introduction, my mind was put at east by Braunohler rambling about death-erections. This guy gets it.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
Do any of you guys listen to Ten Ideas? I've really enjoyed the few episodes I've heard. Hosted by two guys, who each take turns presenting an idea for something that should happen/exist, from the outlandish to the kinda actually sound, and explore the ramifications of them, often with a bit of improv roleplaying. They have great banter and amusing voices and crack me up pretty well.

edit: for example, two of the ideas recently were "supermarket tunnels (instead of aisles) that make use of the ceiling and the floor to stock items" and "fish taking vacations on land."

dancehall fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 20, 2013

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I am a fan therefore I am sperglord.

People are throwing around "average" a lot too.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Listening to the Shel Silverstein episode of the Dead Authors Podcast really solidifies my opinion that the more recent the author's death is, the more likely their episode is going to suck. The Gore Vidal episode is disappointing with no good gags beyond the Al Gore -> Gore Vidal one, Joseph Campbell episode got too deep into his actual theory without none of the comedy (I agree with that bit about modern religion, but it was not funny at all), and Abbie Hoffman was bland all the way through. Shel's wasn't nearly as bad as those three, but it is blown out of the water compared with Brendan Behan or Jorge Luis Borges episode.

The episodes starring mystery crime writers (Agatha Christie and Arthur Conan Doyle) seem to show very good rapport between Tompkins and the guest. I want more of that.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

toanoradian posted:

Listening to the Shel Silverstein episode of the Dead Authors Podcast really solidifies my opinion that the more recent the author's death is, the more likely their episode is going to suck. The Gore Vidal episode is disappointing with no good gags beyond the Al Gore -> Gore Vidal one, Joseph Campbell episode got too deep into his actual theory without none of the comedy (I agree with that bit about modern religion, but it was not funny at all), and Abbie Hoffman was bland all the way through. Shel's wasn't nearly as bad as those three, but it is blown out of the water compared with Brendan Behan or Jorge Luis Borges episode.

The episodes starring mystery crime writers (Agatha Christie and Arthur Conan Doyle) seem to show very good rapport between Tompkins and the guest. I want more of that.

I thought the William S Burroughs one was pretty good. I think it mostly comes down to who the guest is and how well they play the part. Not for accuracy but for comedy. But then again I liked the Scott Aukerman/Ben Franklin one so what do I know.

Staying in the comedy podcast world (I don't know if there's a better spot for this) but sorry Pete Holmes, I love you and most You Made It Weird episodes, but there's no way I'm going to spend nigh 3 hours listening to you and David Wolfe talk about raw foods or anything else for that matter.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Staying in the comedy podcast world (I don't know if there's a better spot for this) but sorry Pete Holmes, I love you and most You Made It Weird episodes, but there's no way I'm going to spend nigh 3 hours listening to you and David Wolfe talk about raw foods or anything else for that matter.

3 hours can be great if the conversation is flowing, but feeling like you have to reach a certain length leads to tedious shows. Also having to cram in questions like what does the guest feel about religion or whatever when the guest doesn't really have a strong view doesn't add to the show. I was hoping the TV show would force ol' Petey pants to be more economical with his time, but I guess not.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

beepo posted:

3 hours can be great if the conversation is flowing, but feeling like you have to reach a certain length leads to tedious shows. Also having to cram in questions like what does the guest feel about religion or whatever when the guest doesn't really have a strong view doesn't add to the show. I was hoping the TV show would force ol' Petey pants to be more economical with his time, but I guess not.

To be fair, I don't mind 3 hour podcasts when it works and it's someone I like. I don't think I'd listen to David Wolfe regardless of the length but if it was, say, 45 minutes or so I might plod through. I wouldn't invest a little shy of three hours on him but for a few other people i'd be more than happy to. I've listened to long YMiWs that I hated to hear end.

Edit: I guess I missed your point of Pete possibly feeling like he has to reach a certain length of time for a show which may be true. I still like a good long show though.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 20, 2013

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

toanoradian posted:

I thought all the recent ones were pretty good. I thought Plato, Bronte, and Rice Burroughs ranked up there with Luis Borges too.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
I'm going to be on Jordan, Jesse, Go! in a few weeks. Any longtime fans have tips or suggestions on what to do (or not to do)?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Asterios posted:

I'm going to be on Jordan, Jesse, Go! in a few weeks. Any longtime fans have tips or suggestions on what to do (or not to do)?

If the show doesn't go well, don't draw a comic about it.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Asterios posted:

Just go in ready to have fun and play along. They seem like super nice guys, you'll probably have a good time.

freeipods
Jul 3, 2007

Come up with a solid nickname or two.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Asterios posted:

Why will you be on the show?

I met Jordan at a party in September when I was in LA. He was very friendly. Dan McCoy of The Flophouse was on the show and said it was a perfectly pleasant time.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Guests on that show also seem to do well when they're not afraid to jump in and interrupt. Jordan and Jesse just talk, they don't always ask questions, so insert yourself and join in.

I've run into Jordan and Jesse many times over the years. (We seem to go to the same concerts and bowling alleys.) They are very amiable.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Asterios posted:

Make some good dick jokes. If there is one thing those two love it's dick jokes.

If possible maybe you can whip your dick out??

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

To be fair, I don't mind 3 hour podcasts when it works and it's someone I like. I don't think I'd listen to David Wolfe regardless of the length but if it was, say, 45 minutes or so I might plod through. I wouldn't invest a little shy of three hours on him but for a few other people i'd be more than happy to. I've listened to long YMiWs that I hated to hear end.

Edit: I guess I missed your point of Pete possibly feeling like he has to reach a certain length of time for a show which may be true. I still like a good long show though.

I bailed on the Casey Wilson episode after about an hour when it seemed that it was only going to be about meditating and eating froyo. The problem isn't so much the length, it's that Pete's become so consumed with work and his obsessions that every episode hits the same topics.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Dancing Potato posted:

I bailed on the Casey Wilson episode after about an hour when it seemed that it was only going to be about meditating and eating froyo. The problem isn't so much the length, it's that Pete's become so consumed with work and his obsessions that every episode hits the same topics.

Also when he tries to force the conversation when the guest isn't into it. I too turned off the Casey Wilson episode after an hour. He would bring up something about meditation, Casey would say "Yeah..." or "Mhhhmmmmhm" and Pete would charge headfirst into a bit he thought up of on the drive to Meltdown.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com

The_Rob posted:

Make some good dick jokes. If there is one thing those two love it's dick jokes.

If possible maybe you can whip your dick out??

You got it!

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

toanoradian posted:

I agree with Ape of Naples that it mostly depends on the quality of the guests.

However DAP guests use a lot of anachronism for jokes, which I'd think would be more effective the older and more out-of-place an author is. Gore Vidal making a Zune joke wouldn't be as funny as Plato making the same joke. So comedians playing more recently-deceased guests start at a disadvantage because they don't have that strategy to pull from/lean on.

Urk! fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 24, 2013

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does anyone listen to Never Not Funny? I've been meaning to check it out forever but I guess I never got around to it because of the premium thing. I don't know where to begin though because it has a million episodes, can I just jump in wherever or is there a best season to start with?

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Help Im Alive posted:

Does anyone listen to Never Not Funny? I've been meaning to check it out forever but I guess I never got around to it because of the premium thing. I don't know where to begin though because it has a million episodes, can I just jump in wherever or is there a best season to start with?

when I started listening I just jumped in to the latest episode/season, and bought individual older episodes with guests I liked. I also bought a pardcastathon, and that introduced me to many of the other guests I didn't know or recognize. So I'd say grab some episodes with guests you know you'll enjoy and either buy a pardcastathon or listen to the free intros to get a feel for the people you haven't heard of, and buy the ones you like.

Sure, you'll miss some inside jokes at first. It's nothing you don't figure out after listening to a few eps though. And be prepared for one really depressing moment in Season 6.

E: Also, anyone who enjoys Jimmy Pardo and Pat Francis should check out the free recordings of You Bet Your Life.

Urk! fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 24, 2013

Beeez
May 28, 2012

urk the quack posted:

I agree with Ape of Naples that it mostly depends on the quality of the guests.

However DAP guests use a lot of anachronism for jokes, which I'd think would be more effective the older and more out-of-place an author is. Gore Vidal making a Zune joke wouldn't be as funny as Plato making the same joke. So comedians playing more recently-deceased guests start at a disadvantage because they don't have that strategy to pull from/lean on.

Fair point overall, but your example is bad. All references to Zunes are comedy gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Asterios posted:

Oh, hey, I remember you from International Waters! You were pretty funny.

• Locked thread