Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

ReindeerF posted:

I have no idea where this goes, but BIG SURPRISE:

The WSJ was mocking him in today's issue, mentioning when he went "RAWR, CARRIED INTEREST BAD! TAX IT MORE!" and then when they asked him about his thoughts on the continued favorable treatment of it for tax purposes and the fact that as a partner he'll be getting some sweet carried interest and he went "No comment."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

FlamingLiberal posted:

Didn't that campaign set a record for most money spent on the fewest delegates? I swear they spent like $5 million per delegate (and had like 20 total).
For some reason, I believe that honor goes to John Connally Jr. during his 1980 run.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I don't think he'd have a problem as long as it was white cheddar.

Blaine Capatch has an amazing fake ad for them that goes along the lines of, "And now, new Cracker Barrel for Blacks! (please no blacks at the White Cracker Barrel)."

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Didn't that campaign set a record for most money spent on the fewest delegates? I swear they spent like $5 million per delegate (and had like 20 total).

I'm sure there are many who spent a lot and got zero delegates so their cost per delegate was higher. Did Rick Perry win anything in 2012?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker described his ideal Republican presidential candidate...

quote:

"I think it's got to be an outsider," he said in the interview. "I think both the presidential and the vice presidential nominee should either be a former or current governor, people who have done successful things in their states, who have taken on big reforms, who are ready to move America forward."

Karl, ABC's chief White House correspondent, noted to Walker that his description excluded such GOP favorites as Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz and Rand Paul.

"All good guys," Walker said, "but it's got to be somebody who's viewed as being exceptionally removed from Washington."

Karl replied: "Your criteria also would rule out Paul Ryan."
Hmmm... Let's see here, that leaves, Chris Christie and... Scott Walker! What a surprise.

Also his recall election campaign is being investigated.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

stat rosa pristina nomine
nomina nuda tenemus

McDonnell 2012, GiftGate be damned!

Actually that idea gives me shivers, if he can get giftgate behind him McDonnell is a pretty ideal Republican nominee.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Marco Rubio is still a GOP favorite? As far as I can tell only the Beltway media pay any attention to him as a serious candidate anymore.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

You forgot Mike Pence!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I feel like there's a third Republican Governor who is likely to run for President in 2016. Let's see, Chris Christie, Scott Walker, and uhm... hmmmm... uhmmm....

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

You know who else fits that criteria? Rick Scott. He should be free of the hindrances of being an active governor at that time, and he self funds his campaigns so he isn't beholden to special interests he's not a part of.

This is of course assuming that we're using the definition of successful things that means things conservatives like and not things that actually work well for everyone.

Justin Trudeau
Apr 4, 2009

There's a level of admiration I actually have for China because their basic dictatorship is allowing them to actually turn their economy around on a dime

Joementum posted:

I feel like there's a third Republican Governor who is likely to run for President in 2016. Let's see, Chris Christie, Scott Walker, and uhm... hmmmm... uhmmm....

The EPA?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Joementum posted:

Joementum, you truly are my hero because of posts like this.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Joementum posted:

An Excellent Post.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

StarMagician posted:

This is EXACTLY what tea party members are saying about Ted Cruz.

Yes, except Elizabeth Warren isn't insulting or undermining her colleagues in the Senate--or upending party strategy by staging a 20+ hour faux-filibuster on the Senate floor. So I'd say the two are not in fact equal--in fact, I'd say that Taibbi is right about Elizabeth Warren and the Tea Party is wrong about Ted Cruz. A shocking concept, I know.

satan!!!
Nov 7, 2012
Jon Huntsman would also fit that criteria.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Speaking of Huntsman, two nominal points of 2016 interest about Huntsman from Double Down that I haven't seen discussed: he decided several times that he was leaving the Republican Party only to be talked back by his campaign staff, at one point coming within hours of declaring for the Americans Elect nomination and at another point seeking Mike Bloomberg's blessing to run as an indy, and in addition to the Romney tax stuff, Huntsman and his posse were the source for nearly all of the serious dirt that got leaked to Politico and friends on the other Republican candidates, both true and untrue. In other words he's even more of a nonstarter in the party moving forward for a future bid than we were assuming from the outside.

Malkamar
Mar 15, 2009
MY DEAD HUSBAND WAS FULL OF SHIT

Sounds like he's more valuable as a rabble rouser anyway.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Huh, i always heard republicans say that Huntsman was Salt Lake's candidate who ran to make Romney look more conservative.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

The X-man cometh posted:

Huh, i always heard republicans say that Huntsman was Salt Lake's candidate who ran to make Romney look more conservative.

No, most of his policy stances were equally conservative to Romney's. He was just a younger, not-quite-as-filthy-rich guy who didn't openly sneer at poors and intellectuals in quite the same way. In actual policy terms his platform was just as nuts, with a few rounded corners like acknowledging that global warming exists (he is simply opposed to doing anything about it).

But the base wanted someone who would smear poo poo in libs' and minorities faces, not a former ambassador who speaks fluent Mandarin Chinese.

Huntsman was by far the most dangerous person on that stage in 2011, because he knew the touches that could sell insane conservative policy to even strong leftists and get them to think he was a centrist while he was doing it.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 18, 2013

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

Speaking of Huntsman, two nominal points of 2016 interest about Huntsman from Double Down that I haven't seen discussed: he decided several times that he was leaving the Republican Party only to be talked back by his campaign staff, at one point coming within hours of declaring for the Americans Elect nomination and at another point seeking Mike Bloomberg's blessing to run as an indy, and in addition to the Romney tax stuff, Huntsman and his posse were the source for nearly all of the serious dirt that got leaked to Politico and friends on the other Republican candidates, both true and untrue. In other words he's even more of a nonstarter in the party moving forward for a future bid than we were assuming from the outside.

I haven't read Double Down yet, so is Huntsman specifically the source of the rumors and dirt, or Huntsman's staff? Does the book indicate it was rogue staff or staff pretty much acting on behalf of Huntsman?

It's not uncommon for staff to be dicks and carry grudges long after a campaign is over but it is pretty unusual for a candidate to do it.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

notthegoatseguy posted:

I haven't read Double Down yet, so is Huntsman specifically the source of the rumors and dirt, or Huntsman's staff? Does the book indicate it was rogue staff or staff pretty much acting on behalf of Huntsman?

It's not uncommon for staff to be dicks and carry grudges long after a campaign is over but it is pretty unusual for a candidate to do it.

Mostly staff but approved and on behalf of the candidate, the book generally portrays Huntsman as a cowardly operator unwilling to confront anything or anyone personally but perfectly willing to stab everyone in the back.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

notthegoatseguy posted:

Well, in the case of Romney's tax returns it was reportedly John Huntsman Sr, who has a long-standing grudge over something-or-other. A little bit of searching suggests he's grown a bit of a conscience in his old age and has realized that Romney is an amoral flipflopper who will do basically anything to enrichen himself.

quote:

SALT LAKE CITY — Jon M. Huntsman Sr. — billionaire industrialist, father of a presidential hopeful, four-time cancer survivor — has no patience for the Scrooges of the world. Even the philanthropist club of billionaires started by Mr. Huntsman’s friend Warren E. Buffett that is trying to enlist the world’s richest to give away half their wealth seems tight-fisted to him.

“I suggested 80 percent,” he said. “A tremendous number of wealthy people haven’t given much of anything.”

While protesters from the Occupy Wall Street movement camp out across America, excoriating what they see as the greed of the affluent, and Democrats push the idea of a surtax on millionaires, a voice of soft-spoken but resolute insistence about the obligation to share can be heard here in the West.

And while other billionaires like Mr. Buffett and Bill Gates might be stalking the globe battling huge problems like malaria or AIDS or tainted drinking water, Mr. Huntsman, 74, is focused closer to home, trying to build the world’s pre-eminent cancer research and treatment center here in Utah’s capital.

His life and family experience — his father and mother and stepmother killed by cancer and a personal journey through prostate, oral and two bouts of skin cancer — shape his vision, he said. Since the 1990s, he has focused the bulk of his philanthropy on fighting the disease, with a huge research and treatment complex up and running at the University of Utah here and a major expansion set to open this month. Of the world’s 1,200 or so billionaires, Mr. Huntsman is one of only 19, according to the wealth-watch monitors at Forbes Magazine, who have given away more than $1 billion.

Mr. Huntsman’s generosity is based not on tax deductions, but on his ferocious desire for obtaining results. More than 200 Ph.D. scientists are already at work at the Huntsman Cancer Institute, many of them concentrating on the question of nurture vs. nature — environment or genetic predisposition — that has confounded the best minds of science since the days of Crick and Salk.

Mr. Huntsman said his charitable work, and perhaps the influence of his son — regarded as a moderate in Utah in advocating civil unions for gays and reform of the state’s strict liquor laws as governor — had shifted his own conservative views toward the center over the years. Among his best friends, he said, are Glenn Beck, the conservative commentator, and Michael Moore, the left-wing polemicist filmmaker.

“All men and women need a roof over their heads, and need to be fed and have proper health care,” he said. “I don’t know that I believed that, or even understood that, in the early days.”

quote:

Mr. Huntsman, a longtime Republican stalwart, had plenty to say, in the wide-ranging interview, about politics and the field of presidential candidates, notably Mitt Romney. Republican primary voters, Mr. Huntsman said, are ignoring the best and most qualified candidate, namely his son, Jon M. Huntsman Jr., a former Utah governor.

Mr. Romney, who led the 2002 Winter Olympics here, is hugely popular in Republican-dominated Utah, as is Mr. Huntsman Jr. Mr. Huntsman Sr. was a national finance co-chairman for the Romney campaign in 2008, but those days, he said, are over.

“I’ve worked for three different Romneys,” he said. One time Mr. Romney was a liberal, in running for the Senate in 1994 in Massachusetts against Edward M. Kennedy, Mr. Huntsman said, the next time he was a moderate in running for governor in 2002, and now he is a conservative in seeking the presidency.

“If you need to win that badly,” he said, “I guess you just kind of do what you have to do get a vote.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/us/politics/a-billionaire-with-distinct-ideas-of-philanthropy-and-presidential-politics.html?_r=0

Huntsman Sr has denied that he was the one who released Romney's tax returns, but as an elder of the church he would have audited him at some point, so he's one of a narrow circle that has access, plus Huntsman Sr has a specific grudge with scrooges like Romney.

(as an aside, note the things that make his son "moderate" are civil unions and reforming liquor laws - he's not the sneering plutocrat the GOP wanted, but he's not exactly the stuff of progressive dreams)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 18, 2013

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Well, in the case of Romney's tax returns it was reportedly John Huntsman Sr, who has a long-standing grudge over something-or-other. A little bit of searching suggests he's grown a bit of a conscience in his old age and has realized that Romney is an amoral flipflopper who will do basically anything to enrichen himself.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/us/politics/a-billionaire-with-distinct-ideas-of-philanthropy-and-presidential-politics.html?_r=0

Huntsman Sr has denied that he was the one who released Romney's tax returns, but as an elder of the church he would have audited him at some point, so he's one of a narrow circle that has access, plus Huntsman Sr has a specific grudge with scrooges like Romney.

(as an aside, note the things that make his son "moderate" are civil unions and reforming liquor laws - he's not the sneering plutocrat the GOP wanted, but he's not exactly the stuff of progressive dreams)

Huntsman Jr. was considered the starry-eyed moderate of the group because he believed in science.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Huntsman also gave the impression he was more civil and reasonable than most of the other Republicans; he had poo poo views, but he was arguing in good faith.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Huntsman Jr. was considered the starry-eyed moderate of the group because he believed in science.

He believed in climate change, and also believed that the current US government response to it constituted a "reign of terror".

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
Man, as if the press needed another reason to like Jon Huntsman, he was also apparently their clickbait hookup!

Maybe this adds some more context on the amount of words written about Jon Huntsman 2012 vs. the actual level of voter interest for Jon Huntsman 2012.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

BrotherAdso posted:

McDonnell 2012, GiftGate be damned!

Actually that idea gives me shivers, if he can get giftgate behind him McDonnell is a pretty ideal Republican nominee.

He will have been irrelevant for 3 years by the time the campaign really gets going, and his last moment will have been the Star Scientific scandal. Also, I don't know if you've heard the man talk, but he's going to stick out in the debates about as well as Tim Pawlenty if Christie, Cruz, and a Herman Cain comedy option are out there yukking it up.

Sure, you could say the same for Walker's personality, but he's been a conservative hero in action, picking a fight with unions. McDonnell did nothing unique. He got one-upped on abortion by a number of other governors and his economic record is dependent on the federal government, which is always going to be a liability for Virginia Republicans trying to go national (NoVA is basically the state's only true economic engine now that coal prices are collapsing).

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

No, most of his policy stances were equally conservative to Romney's. He was just a younger, not-quite-as-filthy-rich guy who didn't openly sneer at poors and intellectuals in quite the same way. In actual policy terms his platform was just as nuts, with a few rounded corners like acknowledging that global warming exists (he is simply opposed to doing anything about it).

But the base wanted someone who would smear poo poo in libs' and minorities faces, not a former ambassador who speaks fluent Mandarin Chinese.

Huntsman was by far the most dangerous person on that stage in 2011, because he knew the touches that could sell insane conservative policy to even strong leftists and get them to think he was a centrist while he was doing it.

Huntsman was "the most dangerous person" in the same way Rudy Giuliani was in 2007. Giuliani was the strongest Republican candidate in head to head polls against Democrats and there was even a time when he was leading in polls of Republican primary voters (which Huntsman can never claim). In reality, both of them wouldn't have been anything special in the general election, because a economically conservative/socially liberal Republican isn't some sort of electoral panacea. Many Beltway insider Friedman-types think that such candidates would be unbeatable, because they themselves are rich and socially liberal and they assume that other people share their values.

As for the Double Down stuff, I'd take it with a pretty serious grain of salt, given how much of the book's content comes from loyal Romneyites, who are of course quite eager to paint Huntsman as unscrupulous, evil and so on. Just as an example, the gives the reader a Romney's-eye view of Huntsman's treacherous 2006 endorsement of McCain, while the Huntsman viewpoint doesn't come out as strongly. Granted, the worst stuff comes from people who actually worked under him, but I'd say more than anything it gives off the impression of someone who is lazy and standoffish by presidential candidate standards, rather than of a sleazebag.

dilbertschalter fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 19, 2013

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.texastribune.org/2013/11/19/brief-texas-political-news-nov-19-2013/

Looks like Mr. Smarty Pants is getting everyone excited down in Texas.

quote:

The reinvention of Perry as presidential candidate goes beyond the decision to sport new eyeglasses

I'm intrigued.

quote:

He is turning into Cruz’s big brother: It’s the same family, but Perry wants to be the one you trust with the car keys.

Uh, yeah, given those choices I'd rather just crash the car myself.

quote:

"Perry’s late arrival," Tilove wrote, "was the only glitch in an otherwise flawless occasion that demonstrated why a Perry presidential campaign, in just the right light, still seems plausible

Jonathan Tilove might be mis-remembering the 2012 primaries a bit.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Sir Tonk posted:

"In just the right light" i.e. all of them turned off.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Wow, they're just pretending all the poo poo Rick Perry did and said never happened. I'd be impressed if I wasn't so disgusted.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Perry might be ok if he's not spaced out on painkillers.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Perry might be ok if he's not spaced out on painkillers.

You have a very broad definition of the word OK.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I don't think Perry's capable of working on the national stage - thank all appropriate gods.

But he and Cruz both drat well better run, because I want to guarantee that the massive might of the Perry Machine is turned on Rafael 'Eduardo' Cruz. Jumping the queue to beat David Dewhurst, the most boring man in Texas and one of Perry's less favorite, is one thing and gets you cast into the outer darkness, but Cruz seems to be pretty fine with the climate there.

Engaging Perry in a primary, unless he does the Ron Paul 2012 thing and becomes a wingnut lieutenant (and I don't think Cruz lieutenants for anybody), is a whole other story. And will be glorious.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Rick legitimately cannot handle a race where he's not the major frontrunner/basically unopposed. He hasn't had to work to be governor here in ages, his machine is built around "REMEMBER I'M RICK PERRY AND I'M GOVERNOR WHY CHANGE GOVERNORS WHEN I'M GOVERNOR? GOD!" He legitimately has no clue what to do if there's anyone ahead of him in a race, let alone multiple people and he's pushed to the fringe.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
How big of a war chest does he have? I'd love to see him drain down everyone else's funds

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Sir Tonk posted:

In a hypothetical world where Perry's in the race sooner, he has longer to season and either doesn't make his big mistake(s) in a debate or make them earlier in the summer where it's less of a thing. And if he had been in 9000 debates already, missing one for his back issues (assuming he cites "schedule conflict" instead of "high on painkillers") is more feasible.

I mean I think the guy's literally one of the evilest people in America, but I don't think you can totally write him off based on one meltdown when he was on painkillers.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
:toxx: Toxxing myself for Kshama Sawant :toxx:
Lenin lived. Lenin lives. Lenin will live.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Enjoy posted:

She's a Trot you filthy Leninist. I will remember when the revolution comes :commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Enjoy posted:

Toxxing for her to do what? Run in 16?

• Locked thread