Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Cbear posted:

OUaV stands for what?

That's a store in Richmond. Once Upon a Vine.
http://www.onceuponavine.us/

e;fb

For content: this weekend I tried Real Ale Benedictum, the latest in their Mysterium Venum (basically experimental barrel aged/infected) series. It's a wild ale inspired by the oud bruin style and was extremely good, possibly the best sour they've done. Mildly tart, dry, yet still quite sessionable at 5-something% abv. Nailed a good balance of sweet/sour/sharp oak flavors.

This was at Zio Carlo brewpub in Fort Worth, and those blocks along Magnolia have really turned into a neat place to visit if you're in the area. All of these are within 5 minutes walk of each other.

A walking pub crawl in TEXAS?! :aaa: (I'll update the wiki accordingly):
Zio Carlo - the only brewpub in North Texas. Still a work in progress, nothing impressive house-brew wise, but when I went, they had 5 Real Ale Mysterium Venum taps.
Brewed - coffee shop with few, but constantly rotating taps
Live Oak - music venue/restaurant with very good taps. They had FW Velvet Merkin and they didn't have an insane clusterfuck crowd compared to when this got tapped in Dallas.
Bearded Lady - felt identical to Gingerman but better in every way. Drank some leftovers from a Hops and Grain tap takeover, had no idea they were souring beers as well.

air- fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Yeah I liked Once Upon a Vine a lot. It felt like more quality overall than everywhere else. As opposed to the normal shops.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

danbanana posted:

We've had this discussion before, but... Being rude to someone trying to give you money is not a good way to run your business. I understand that truck chasers are less likely to be repeat customers, but there's other ways to handle it than being lovely to them. Enforce limits, additional bottle sales (i.e., no KBS unless you grab a local sixer), etc. Dickish behavior- even when not directed at me- is plenty of reason for me not to shop at your store any more.

I am pretty sure that this is very illegal and it would surely have beer nerds around the internet to be up in arms.

funkybottoms posted:

"sorry, all out" would suffice.

That doesn't really work. Especially when they see it coming off the truck. I had a guy wait by our loading dock to see if we got KBS in this year. He was absolutely infuriated when I told him we were saving it for Black Friday. As if we had owed it to him because he had waited for an hour.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Midorka posted:

That doesn't really work. Especially when they see it coming off the truck. I had a guy wait by our loading dock to see if we got KBS in this year. He was absolutely infuriated when I told him we were saving it for Black Friday. As if we had owed it to him because he had waited for an hour.

so that would make it okay to be rude about it? oh, wait- that's when you put stuff in view behind the counter and tell people they can't have it, right?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Midorka posted:

I am pretty sure that this is very illegal and it would surely have beer nerds around the internet to be up in arms.

What's the basis for its illegality? The store is selling a packaged product. That's like saying they can't sell Duvel packages with glasses without having a beer-only option. The same right-to-refusal that a store might use to prevent truck chasers from buying the beer certainly should give them the right to sell their wares however they want.

Beer nerds? Fine. Get mad.

Now the distributor, that's a different issue. I could see some anger there if it turns out the owner is pushing something from another distro.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Can someone school me on Jack's Abby? What to look out for?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

funkybottoms posted:

so that would make it okay to be rude about it? oh, wait- that's when you put stuff in view behind the counter and tell people they can't have it, right?

I never said being rude was okay. I simply said that telling people that you didn't get a beer isn't an option always. It's actually one of the worst of the options because they feel slighted when they find out that you actually did get an allotment.

danbanana posted:

What's the basis for its illegality? The store is selling a packaged product. That's like saying they can't sell Duvel packages with glasses without having a beer-only option. The same right-to-refusal that a store might use to prevent truck chasers from buying the beer certainly should give them the right to sell their wares however they want.

I don't think the Duvel comparison is fair. That is a gift set the brewery is putting out. I think a problem would arise when a store requires a purchase to get the chance to get something else. You could probably get around this buy giving tickets that would allow the buyer to purchase X product, but for some reason I feel that would be frowned upon.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Beer nerds? Fine. Get mad.

Now the distributor, that's a different issue. I could see some anger there if it turns out the owner is pushing something from another distro.

State laws are weird. There are stores in Chicago that sell singles, and other stores in Chicago that believe it's somehow against the law to do so (which leads to hilarious situations like one store selling a $63 4-pack of some Mikkeller Black Hole variant) and each has varying degrees of shadiness from none (Beer Temple) to Capone's.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Midorka posted:

I never said being rude was okay. I simply said that telling people that you didn't get a beer isn't an option always. It's actually one of the worst of the options because they feel slighted when they find out that you actually did get an allotment.

okay, but i was talking about phone calls, and the response was an example of a less-confrontational way of dealing with the particular situation that i witnessed. jesus.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Jesus is right, I don't get why you're being so confrontational about this. You're right, I didn't realize that you were initially talking about phone calls. My mistake.

In beer talk, I had New Glarus Imperial Weizen, which was pretty great. The beer masked the 9.25% ABV far too perfectly, I finished the beer as quickly as I would a hefe. The cascade hops gave a bitter grapefruit presence that sort of clashed, but sort of worked with the under-ripe banana, straw and lemon flavors I got. This is my 6th beer from them and I remain impressed.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Cbear posted:

I've had their smoked beer (smoke and dagger I think) and their india pale lager and both were delicious.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

San Diego, CA beer report - Rip Current Brewing Co. is awesome. They're pretty tiny now, but the brewmaster is Paul Sangster, who was a Ninkasi award winner in Home brew circles only 2 years ago. I was pretty blown away by the quality of the beer they had on tap - pretty much everything was spot on; I particularly noted how smooth their high ABV beers were. Look out for these guys in the future.

Yep. The can collection is Paul's too, and that's only half of it. It's probably the most thematically appropriate decoration I've seen in a tasting room. The Olde Frothingslosh cans were especially great.

Their Scotch Ale may be the best of its kind in SD. It's way up there in any case.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

So Central Waters seems convinced to try to not repeat last year's anniversary beer bottle sale clusterfuck, so they're going to an online ticket system this year: http://centralwaters.brownpapertickets.com/

Tickets go on sale 12/1, party on 1/25. 8 bottle limit (!).

I had Sixteen at FoBAB and don't remember it being anything special, but the party is all the more enticing to attend now that I'd be able to know in advance if I'm able to get bottles.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

crazyfish posted:

State laws are weird. There are stores in Chicago that sell singles, and other stores in Chicago that believe it's somehow against the law to do so (which leads to hilarious situations like one store selling a $63 4-pack of some Mikkeller Black Hole variant) and each has varying degrees of shadiness from none (Beer Temple) to Capone's.

For some reason, one of the bigger bottle shops in town here in San Diego got hit with this - they found out there's a term in their lease that prohibits them from selling anything less than a six-pack. I honestly think they're going to go out of business at that location - I don't see how a shop specializing in $10 bottles (and nothing else, its not a gas station or a convenience store) can do any business that way. They honestly need to speak with a lawyer.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Angry Grimace posted:

For some reason, one of the bigger bottle shops in town here in San Diego got hit with this - they found out there's a term in their lease that prohibits them from selling anything less than a six-pack. I honestly think they're going to go out of business at that location - I don't see how a shop specializing in $10 bottles (and nothing else, its not a gas station or a convenience store) can do any business that way. They honestly need to speak with a lawyer.

1. Hahaha where? 2. Is there anything good they're putting in sixers abnormally that might be bought cheaper than somewhere else trying to sell them individually?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

i just wanna know what they're using to assemble 22oz six-packs

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

funkybottoms posted:

i just wanna know what they're using to assemble 22oz six-packs

Wine cases.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Surly is back in Chicago. Hit up Northdown on my way home from work to grab a pint of Surly Furious, having never had anything by them before. Can't say I would have traveled to MN to get it, but I dig this beer very much. Nicely balanced and super drinkable - great citrus and pine flavor, solid finish. I'm becoming more of a fan with each sip. It's too bad it's so cold outside as I would love to rock a can of this on a boat out on Lake Michigan.

FoBAB was a loving blast and a super well run event. Barely waited in line, had so many amazing beers- definitely going to try and get tickets again next year. Leafhouse and Crazyfish, great hanging with you guys as always, and it was awesome to meet you too, danbanana. Bottle share soon.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.

Cbear posted:

I recently tried their Kiwi Rising DIPL and I really enjoyed it. Hoponious Union is a good place to start with them.

Birdemani
Nov 4, 2012

For the Chicago jerks, West Lakeview Liquors landed their full liquor license today.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

wattershed posted:

1. Hahaha where? 2. Is there anything good they're putting in sixers abnormally that might be bought cheaper than somewhere else trying to sell them individually?

Bottlecraft's Little Italy location. They have huge signs everywhere in the store that say this now. I'm assuming what happened was that they didn't realize that having an on-site consumption license prohibits the sale of singles to-go. They don't pre-package sixers, they just have signs that say you can't get less than six.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Birdemani posted:

For the Chicago jerks, West Lakeview Liquors landed their full liquor license today.

To clarify, they've had one all along - but this new updated one allows them to sell booze in both sides of the shop.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

Bottlecraft's Little Italy location. They have huge signs everywhere in the store that say this now. I'm assuming what happened was that they didn't realize that having an on-site consumption license prohibits the sale of singles to-go. They don't pre-package sixers, they just have signs that say you can't get less than six.

That's interesting that 22 ounce+ are included in that. Do they sell wine/liquor also?

I'm drinking Dark Horse's Plead the Fifth and I actually like it despite it being a raisin/fig heavy imperial stout (I usually don't like those). I do wish the flavors were more prominent though, the palate is a bit muddled, but boy this masks the alcohol completely and the body is the best I've ever had. It's literally like putting oatmeal in the glass. It's that chewy. I would certainly buy a 4/6 pack once a year if it were in my area.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Midorka posted:

That's interesting that 22 ounce+ are included in that. Do they sell wine/liquor also?

I'm drinking Dark Horse's Plead the Fifth and I actually like it despite it being a raisin/fig heavy imperial stout (I usually don't like those). I do wish the flavors were more prominent though, the palate is a bit muddled, but boy this masks the alcohol completely and the body is the best I've ever had. It's literally like putting oatmeal in the glass. It's that chewy. I would certainly buy a 4/6 pack once a year if it were in my area.

I think that kind of thing can be negotiated out, but they obviously didn't even know that it existed since this is new within the last month or so. I'll ask them exactly what's up next time I'm in there to not buy anything and just go to the new Ballast Point restaurant next door.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Invasion being canned is like the highlight of my year. Love this beer, hoping everyone else does too.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Invasion being canned is like the highlight of my year. Love this beer, hoping everyone else does too.

i know someone who's pretty pumped to go get some tomorrow- what other stuff is going to be available in bottles/cans?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

I have been waiting for its canning for so long now. It will be my go to beer I love it so much. The best Pale Ale I have ever had, including Daisy Cutter, Zombie Dust, and Alpha King.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

My local bottle shop somehow always manages to get a case of whatever limited stuff is available... right now they have GI's Lolita and always get Bourbon County stuff in.

I actually agree on a policy they seem to put in place... if you want a bottle of whatever the new "hot" limited release is, you have to buy a 4/6 pack of that brewery's beer... so when they get their Founder's Backstage stuff in, in order to get a bottle, you need to buy a pack of Founders beers... I really don't mind, as I can always find a beer by Founders I like, and I also have access to the limited stuff... at this point, I'm a fairly good regular, so they usually waive such rules for me if the owner or beer buyer is there.

I think it allows everyone a chance to get a limited beer, and it eliminates the people who are just going to run in, grab a bottle or two never come back.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Vertigo posted:

I think it allows everyone a chance to get a limited beer, and it eliminates the people who are just going to run in, grab a bottle or two never come back.

equally, it keeps sales of that brand up and helps guarantee allocations of the limited junk.

edit- also, i'm going to stop responding to anything having to do with the topic so we don't have this loving debate again

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

That's really stupid and lovely, speaking from a customer perspective. I don't want a six pack of Honker Ale or whatever. I just want a bottle of Gillian.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Me in Reverse posted:

That's really stupid and lovely, speaking from a customer perspective. I don't want a six pack of Honker Ale or whatever. I just want a bottle of Gillian.

Agree with this.

Maybe if I lived somewhere that didn't already have retarded liquor laws I'd be more open to it, but we're already limited to buying cases only. I wouldn't shop at a place who had one of these policies. Or if I did I'd make it known how lovely it is.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

funkybottoms posted:

i know someone who's pretty pumped to go get some tomorrow- what other stuff is going to be available in bottles/cans?

Well Tocobaga will be available in cans today as well. Also Warmer Winter and Sugar Plum, of note, as well as the other 4 core beers.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
DC Brau On the Wings of Armageddon is a really solid IIPA. Really, really good. Just enough malt backbone to stand up to the heavy hopping. It was surprisingly excellent. Thanks, nosleep.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Went to Total Wine last night, saw Gillian and Lolita on the shelf. Walked out with a Matilda. I am comfortable with my decision. :colbert:

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

New Glarus Berliner Weisse is the best I've ever had. This is done right, mild tartness with green apple and lemon, very spritzy as well. I get this light sugary cotton candy flavors I have no idea where they came from, but I really enjoy this. 3%? Hot drat!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Had a glass of Lolita after FOBAB and it came off completely different than the bottle I opened a couple weeks ago. Not nearly as sour or funky on tap. My palate might have been a little hosed at that point, but it had been at least 90 minutes since I last had a drink of anything.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Midorka posted:

New Glarus Berliner Weisse is the best I've ever had. This is done right, mild tartness with green apple and lemon, very spritzy as well. I get this light sugary cotton candy flavors I have no idea where they came from, but I really enjoy this. 3%? Hot drat!

Yes. Good call on "spritzy;" I get a ton of white wine aspects to it.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

Went to Total Wine last night, saw Gillian and Lolita on the shelf. Walked out with a Matilda. I am comfortable with my decision. :colbert:

Me in Reverse posted:

I'm not sure how expensive the 4 Sisters are on average outside of Chicago but Gillian is going for the same price as an Iris. Easy choice between those two.

Dirtwolf is pretty good but a little too rough on the backend for me to identify as dangerously smooth or sessionable. Modern Times Blazing World on the other hand is quite drinkable and is cheaper than the former. I think that Blazing World doesn't have much body but is perfectly sessionable for the SoCal weather.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003
I'm gonna be in the Oakland and San Mateo areas and was looking for good bottle shops in the area. Specifically was hoping to score a FW 17 and Stone Charred. Also solid bars would be useful, too. Already have plans for hitting Russian River, Bear Republic, and Lagunitas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I finally had Gillian at FOBAB. I was legitimized in my decision to not buy it. Meh.

Also in my first post since FOBAB, good to see ya Crazyfish and meet you danbanana. I was pretty drunk (really drunk) but I do remember that!
But really I all I forgot was how I got home, and I think danbanana covered most of what I would have said about the beers. Oh goodness was Cthulhu so good (and Abaxras, and Fuzzy, etc)